Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Gyshall posted:

Like, aliens man. Is the main cop lady in this season an alien?

We never saw aliens, we saw a UFO, and we will probably never see or hear about it again. It doesn't need to factor into the plot or overarching story as a whole. People see UFOs and other unexplained sky phenomenon all the time. Even Ronald Reagan claimed to have seen one once. It's no coincidence that the season that featured Reagan also featured a UFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

There are no aliens slowly spreading across Earth, infiltrating the unassuming lands of rural America. Varga being incapable of digesting food and asserting that humans do not understand what wealth actually is is just, uh, metaphor

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

I'm wondering if they are going to tie all the seasons together somehow (other than just all the seasons tying directly into the movie)

Like, aliens man. Is the main cop lady in this season an alien?

Do any of the seasons tie into the movie other than season 1 and the ice scraper?

This season will tie into prior seasons at some point. My guess is the deaf hitman, who lived in season 1 and appeared at the end of season 2, will show up in season 3.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Season 2 is a story that Ennis Stussy wrote

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

"using her poontang to hoodwink and bamboozle" might be my favorite line of anything ever

Both the person I was watching with and I repeated this line back at the screen as soon as we heard it and said "That was an awesome line."

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

It's all the switching up of 'oo' sounds.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Henchman of Santa posted:

Varga Vikernes

Also David Thewlis is most famous for playing a werewolf

If he ends up burning down a church, then it'll be on the nose.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I feel like the thread is much less chatty this go-round, which I get. This season definitely doesn't have the innate charisma of S2 or the novelty and Colin Hanks of S1, but gently caress I like it anyway.

I need a little more from Varga as an antagonist. Yuria was great earlier with his Cossack monologue, but I need Varga to actually do something. If nothing else, he needs to compensate for being the grossest TV villain I've seen since Legion.

The music in this show remains out of this world. The ending of the last episode was made so much better with that stinger. I hope Gloria and Wendy destroy an international crime lord.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I have a feeling that Varga isn't even the real Varga. To connect the theme of quantum superposition and "we're going to hollow out your company and steer you around like a loving car", the dude we see might just be a human possessed by an alien intelligence alien bountyhunter shapeshifter android replicant middleman representing the "real" Varga. A sort of Chinese Room for Crime. I feel like one of the Stussy Boys is going to end up being the "new Varga", and the other might have to fill in for the other forever.

Edit: My grandma, what big eyes you have.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I agree that the music is extremely great. here's an interview with the person responsible for picking out songs to license. it's from season 2 but still interesting.

http://www.avclub.com/article/music-supervisors-treasure-hunt-found-70s-tunes-fa-229845

going to put together a list of all the old vinyl I'm gonna try to buy because of this show. so much great poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Capntastic posted:

I have a feeling that Varga isn't even the real Varga. To connect the theme of quantum superposition and "we're going to hollow out your company and steer you around like a loving car", the dude we see might just be a human possessed by an alien intelligence alien bountyhunter shapeshifter android replicant middleman representing the "real" Varga. A sort of Chinese Room for Crime. I feel like one of the Stussy Boys is going to end up being the "new Varga", and the other might have to fill in for the other forever.

Edit: My grandma, what big eyes you have.

I probably just misread it, but I could have sworn Varga spoke of himself as a representative of the lender in his first face-to-face meeting with Emmit. And now he appears to be the head guy, which doesn't really make sense if you're in charge of an international crime syndicate to be on the ground taking the risks.

Also, this season feels like a miss. Although I have to remind myself I only started enjoying season 2 until the 4th episode. Once connections start being made things should pick up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Capntastic posted:

I have a feeling that Varga isn't even the real Varga.
If that's the case he's basically spelling it out with the whole line about a fleet of decoy planes just to make your movements invisible (if I remember correctly).

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

Which begs the question, who's the most intimidating Fargo character so far?:

Lorne Malvo
Mike Milligan
Hanzee
Bear Geirhardt
Varga
Russian bodyguard guy
Asian bodyguard guy

For me, it's Malvo (by a significant margin), then Hanzee. Varga is probably 3rd because he creeps me out and he reminds me of Malvo in that he seems to be one step ahead of everyone else.

The mute bodyguards from S2 should be up there, too.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The writer was on fresh air yesterday, and the old cheif def has a schrodinger thing going on that was accented:
-divored and not divorced
-cheif and not a cheif
-electronics don't see here
-is a lady "out of time", no facebook, computers, etc

The part where auto sensors don't see her is def some quantum mechanics stuff - the detectors don't see her because she is and isn't at the same time.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/15/528459775/fargo-is-a-series-about-the-things-people-do-for-money

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
David Thewlis is most popularly known for playing a werewolf in Harry Potter, but he got his critical breakout in Mike Leigh's Naked in 1993, in which he says...

"I was a werewolf, but I got better."

:aaa:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Professor Lupin is all well and good but I will forever remember Thewlis as Knox Hamilton in the Big Lebowski.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Professor Lupin is all well and good but I will forever remember Thewlis as Knox Hamilton in the Big Lebowski.

That is my second favorite movie and I couldn't tell you who Knox Hamilton is.

Edit: oh he's the flamboyant assistant. Completely unrecognizable!

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 16, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Henchman of Santa posted:

That is my second favorite movie and I couldn't tell you who Knox Hamilton is.

Julianne Moore's friend.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Klungar posted:

Julianne Moore's friend.

holy poo poo, I have watched Naked and Big Lebowski both in double digits and never noticed.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Klungar posted:

Julianne Moore's friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WK41EPLZDU

Knox Harrington, the video artist

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

thah bah's ovah theah

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
holy crap he also plays the kind priest that gets his head cut off, from Kingdom of Heaven

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Don't forget about Island of Dr. Moreau! He's the one that's not Val Kilmer or that fat guy, whoever he is.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
lol that Ray keeps getting away with imitating his brother while wearing that loving wig

NetflixAndRichHill
May 11, 2017
"You have a fat wife"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Si's fake laugh, my god. Oh jeez

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Si, this is not good.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh gently caress, I forgot it was on tonight! shieeeeet

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ah gently caress, Nikki is probably gonna die :(

Probably followed closely by Si. Maybe.

I can at least say this: one of them will not make it to the end of the episode.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

"My mom."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Pretty girls should only open their mouths when they see a dick."

"Which one of you is the dick?"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

loving poo poo i tuned in and caught the last 5 minutes thinking it was the beginning of the ep.

it was after 11, that should be the encore!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:stare:

NetflixAndRichHill
May 11, 2017
jesus

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

This show is loving fantastic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ray and Nikki gonna take down an international crime syndicate by accident

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Ray and Nikki gonna take down an international crime syndicate by accident

nah not this time

this time the bumbling couple is gonna get killed or incur tragedy

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

"Congratulations! You're officially the stupidest person alive!" is how I'm going to open every phone call from now on.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

nah not this time

this time the bumbling couple is gonna get killed or incur tragedy

They'll probably off the two thugs somehow, though.

Or maybe Mac comes back and John Woo's the poo poo out of everybody.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 18, 2017

• Locked thread