Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Gamecube was cool and technically great but did it even have any noteworthy FPS? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

it had like ten good games which is a WAY better ratio than the gamecube
gamecube has:

Metroid Prime
Killer 7
Windwaker
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Pikmin
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero GX
Viewtiful Joe
Paper Mario 2
Super Monkey Ball 2
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
Kirby Air Ride(gently caress you city trial is great)
Soul Caliber 2
Beyond Good and Evil
Tales of Symphonia
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Ikaruga
Billy Hatcher
Skies of Arcadia
Resident Evil(remake)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

these are not all exclusives but honestly bite me, that's not a meaningful metric :colbert: gamecube was and is a good drat console.
I can honestly say I enjoy more games on the cube than on ps2, which has to be the most jacked-off-to game console of all time

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Negrostrike posted:

Gamecube was cool and technically great but did it even have any noteworthy FPS? :shrug:

Metroid Prime?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Negrostrike posted:

I think Timesplitters was on GameCube?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you want to consider it in any genre other than "weird", Killer 7 is definitely a "noteworthy" FPS

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I also liked the Gamecube a lot, though I can't recall playing a lot of FPS games on it. I mostly had it for stuff like Rogue Squadron, Metroid Prime, Tony Hawk, MGS: Twin Snakes, etc. Of what I had played only really Metroid Prime fit in that category.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
GameCube is also probably the most indestructible game console ever made.

It also had Timesplitters 2, and to be honest there's little point in anyone ever making another console FPS ever again as it'll never be as good as TS2.

is there a retro console fight thread? This is all getting a bit out of hand :ohdear:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IronicDongz posted:

if you want to consider it in any genre other than "weird", Killer 7 is definitely a "noteworthy" FPS

I don't think it counts since you can't move while aiming (IIRC). It's more of a bizarro adventure game with a turret/lightgun combat mode.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

The Kins posted:

Probably U4E Tournament. I posted a video of some of the weird guns in it earlier.

ah yeah that video was one hell of a nostalgia trip. I didn't have the internet on my pc as a kid, so I spent a lot of time downloading mods on my dads pc, burning them to cd, then messing with them against bots on my pc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

man in the eyeball hat posted:

am i the only person who liked the gamecube?

I liked it when I had it as a kid, but it really pales in comparison to the Xbox for games that look good and to the PS2 for sheer amount of things to play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think Timesplitters was on GameCube?

Yep but it was better on PS2.

Timesplitters was the loving poo poo man. That level editor was amazing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Timesplitters was the loving poo poo man. That level editor was amazing.

Nah PS2 had longest load times and also was missing texture detail the other two had. Also you had to buy a multitap to get 4 players.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Negrostrike posted:

Metroid Prime is one of the best games of all time so yeah, I guess it had one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I bought a gamecube for the sole reason of playing Metroid Prime. I only ever bought 1 other game for it, Metroid Prime 2.

Metroid Prime was good enough that I was satisfied with that purchase.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally I got the Gamecube for Melee and had absolutely no interest in Metroid - like, any Metroid, at all - until I tried Fusion that winter, found I loved it, and eagerly went for Prime for more (including the NES game included therein, for even more Metroid).

Ahhh, Prime was awesome.

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Streaming some Quake Champions fwiw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjMPZ28zPJ8

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zaphod42 posted:

As someone who owned and played through both versions in their entirety, what?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

which was that UT mod that added all the weird janky characters to it, like the grim reaper and a demon and I think they all had special abilities?

Mordja posted:

Yeah, it's U4E all right. Like I said, I was messing around with it a couple weeks ago and you can set it so that every character has different stats and starting weapons.

The funniest was the golem who began with 200 health and armour, moved slow as molasses, and could throw giant boulders that one-shot everyone.

The best thing was that the Bot AI was generally competent enough to utilize the U4E character/classes, too. When I was younger and without reliable internet, I remember using a mod that extended the pool of Bots you could custom-build, and then I just went to town creating 40 or 50 characters with different skills and personalities that the game would randomly draw from to keep games fresh. Most classes were genuinely interesting too, including:

The cockroach Zhal, who spawned with below-average stats but had a significant jump height, was immune to poison, carried a quiet sniper rifle, melee claws, turned semi-invisible when stationary for long enough, and (I think) could fling toxic cloud grenades.

Teddy, a poo poo-talking stuffed animal with average stats but a chainsaw/shrink ray and (in later versions of U4ET) a device that could fabricate things like turrets and obstacles...the AI really sucked with this character's skills, unsurprisingly.

The Devil, who could swim (or maybe even heal) in lava, had a pretty hard-hitting melee attack, flung globs of explosive brimstone, and a semi-secret area-effect stomp.

Henry, a massive robot that spawned with a ton of health, armor, and twin minigun/rocket launchers, but was incredibly slow and generally became the focus of everybody in a given room.

But there were also multiple weird alien characters, the Grim Reaper, not one but two fire-breathing flying dragon creeps, a tanky Golem, an Ash Ketchum-type Pokemon wrangler called "Monster Master", and probably some other poo poo I can't remember. Between the large variety of novel weapons and maps, it basically made it so no two matches played exactly the same. Loved that mod.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 18, 2017

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Alright, all this UT mod business got me to reinstall UT2004 and try to install the 20014 version of U4E. How do I install/open/use .ut4mod files? I got some kind of program that was supposed to make them auto extract by changing something in the registry, but no dice. Opening with with ut2004.exe doesn't work either and I can't seem to find a solution online. Ideas?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is there a decent Quake 2 mod to rebalance the weapons (and perhaps give them better sounds)? I don't want a weapon pack, just something to give them a little more oomph, feel more like Quake 1 or Doom.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still have a grudge against Sony for deciding to make the PS2 two-controller-only and then pressuring various devs into not adding 4-player mode to multiplatform titles so that people didn't see the GCN and Xbox versions as blatantly superior. That's why there are so many games that seem like they should be 4-player but are 2-player only in that era of gaming, for example those TMNT games. The Fantastic Four movie game is hilariously 2-player only as a result of these policies.

Like make your console as lovely as you want Sony, but don't gently caress with the other consoles' libraries.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lurdiak posted:

I still have a grudge against Sony for deciding to make the PS2 two-controller-only and then pressuring various devs into not adding 4-player mode to multiplatform titles so that people didn't see the GCN and Xbox versions as blatantly superior. That's why there are so many games that seem like they should be 4-player but are 2-player only in that era of gaming, for example those TMNT games. The Fantastic Four movie game is hilariously 2-player only as a result of these policies.

Like make your console as lovely as you want Sony, but don't gently caress with the other consoles' libraries.

I don't think the lack 4-player mode was holding that Fantastic Four game back...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wamdoodle posted:

I don't think the lack 4-player mode was holding that Fantastic Four game back...

True, I didn't pick great games as examples, those are just games that scream "should be 4 players" that I could think of. It was really widespread and some games had to be entirely reworked from the ground up to accommodate Sony, usually to their detriment.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sony made some unfortunate demands back on previous consoles when they were the top dog, like not allowing 2D-centric PS2 games like Metal Slug 3 to be released in the US.

I wonder if they're still doing stuff like that with the PS4? I doubt we'd really hear about that stuff for a good few years if they are...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They've done dumb stuff between then and now, like the brief but hard push for 3D TV support.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

thedangergroove posted:

Alright, all this UT mod business got me to reinstall UT2004 and try to install the 20014 version of U4E. How do I install/open/use .ut4mod files? I got some kind of program that was supposed to make them auto extract by changing something in the registry, but no dice. Opening with with ut2004.exe doesn't work either and I can't seem to find a solution online. Ideas?

Assuming you're using UMod Browser, after loading up the file try right clicking on it and extracting the files to the selected destination folder (defaults to Temp).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Speaking of UT, I just got an email from Epic and they apparently just added a new mode to Unreal Tournament. It's called Blitz and advertised as CTF mixed with Assault somehow? Hell I'll give it a shot.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Sony made some unfortunate demands back on previous consoles when they were the top dog, like not allowing 2D-centric PS2 games like Metal Slug 3 to be released in the US.

I wonder if they're still doing stuff like that with the PS4? I doubt we'd really hear about that stuff for a good few years if they are...

Huh, had no idea MS3 didn't get a US release. It came out here in the UK. I guess these days all consoles are region free so it's not as critical as it used to be.

Thinking about it, gently caress the region locking particularly in the PS2-Xbox-GC era. Some games were still borked PAL conversions with no way to get a full speed version outside of importing and using an Action Replay or something, and I think there was a chance you could screw up your GC memory card doing that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Convex posted:

Thinking about it, gently caress the region locking particularly in the PS2-Xbox-GC era. Some games were still borked PAL conversions with no way to get a full speed version outside of importing and using an Action Replay or something, and I think there was a chance you could screw up your GC memory card doing that.

Here's an interesting tidbit on that:
The original Xbox had 1045 games.
900 were available in North America
707 were available in Europe
655 were available in Japan

But then there was also the consideration of backwards compatibility for Xbox titles on the 360, where the further interaction of region locking, including of the support, meant:
524 titles were made backwards compatible at all but only:
461 were available in North America
476 were available in Europe
122 were available in Japan

(Incidentally, Xbox One's Xbox 360 backwards compatibility lacks region locking for disc titles)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh hey Inner Chains is out. I guess I'll find out later today if it's any good at all.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Speaking of UT, I just got an email from Epic and they apparently just added a new mode to Unreal Tournament. It's called Blitz and advertised as CTF mixed with Assault somehow? Hell I'll give it a shot.

Please report back about the game mode. I'd like to try but not if it's disappointing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy loving poo poo Inner Chains is complete garbage. Those guys should be thrown in jail for once again trying to ride on the coattails of Painkiller and churning out the crap they did. No control options, no graphics options, three weapons, one enemy type, slow as gently caress movement, terrible performance, and a goal that just has you collecting letters in an admittedly pretty environment.

Here's an example of the most complex combat encounter I've found https://streamable.com/bhfu0

There's zero stakes. Nothing can kill you and it's just the worst thing I've ever played. Thanks Inner Chains for making me feel way better about STRAFE.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
What's the deal with this game, is it made by the Painkiller devs or something?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

orly posted:

Streaming some Quake Champions fwiw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjMPZ28zPJ8

Ok, this looks crazy fun. I wish I had a pc good enough to run it :negative:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Talking about ex-PCF Painkiller developers and possibly bad games, Get Even by Farm51 - NecroVisioN developers - is coming out Friday next week. The game looks to be a throwback to last gen shooters where all you do is walk down corridors while people talk to you and sometimes you get the chance to shoot someone I guess.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I thought Inner Chains and Agony were the same game.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, this looks crazy fun. I wish I had a pc good enough to run it :negative:

It's not very demanding at all, it's running on Saber's engine rather than id tech. I got a forget how many years old PC and it runs fine on low.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Convex posted:

What's the deal with this game, is it made by the Painkiller devs or something?

It's made by some jokers who worked at a bunch of good Polish development houses at some point. I can't believe how goddamn bad it is.

loga mira posted:

I thought Inner Chains and Agony were the same game.

I think Agony is explicitly a horror walking sim type adventure game.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Yodzilla posted:

Oh hey Inner Chains is out. I guess I'll find out later today if it's any good at all.

Yodzilla posted:

Holy loving poo poo Inner Chains is complete garbage. Those guys should be thrown in jail for once again trying to ride on the coattails of Painkiller and churning out the crap they did. No control options, no graphics options, three weapons, one enemy type, slow as gently caress movement, terrible performance, and a goal that just has you collecting letters in an admittedly pretty environment.

Here's an example of the most complex combat encounter I've found https://streamable.com/bhfu0

There's zero stakes. Nothing can kill you and it's just the worst thing I've ever played. Thanks Inner Chains for making me feel way better about STRAFE.

Haha, I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune but its really funny seeing two posts from the same guy going from 'Oh this new game looks neat, may as well give it a try...' to 'gently caress this poo poo is awful' within like 2 hours.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

loga mira posted:

It's not very demanding at all, it's running on Saber's engine rather than id tech. I got a forget how many years old PC and it runs fine on low.

What? An id Software game not using an id engine, seems very weird, I guess it's the world we live in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Do you love the Turok2 remaster? Kaiser and myself sure love programming it, apparently.
1.5.4 is now public on Steam and GOG. Change log.
The main new feature is DirectX support, which should run better on AMD cards and actually gives support to a slightly older set of graphics cards as long as your GPU supports DirectX10. Specifically, it's DirectX11 but with minimum support for the DX10 feature set, as we don't actually need tessellation for anything.
There's also a bunch of multiplayer and and singleplayer updates (see the change log), spread across two different version numbers.