Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Hasn't there been significant organized (armed) resistance against the cartels in Michoacán and southern Mexico? From what I gather several communities raised militias that had varying degrees of success in expelling the cartels from their territories, but shortly after the government demanded that these militias should register their weapons and act in cooperation with the military, which only part of them did, and now both the legalized and unregistered militias are accusing each other of acting in collusion with the cartels. So basically even if the populace rise in arms against the narcos it's still a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
As long as cartels have infinite funds (because the world's most profitable drugs market is just across the border), it'll be nigh impossible to destroy them. The last 10 years have shown that violence only exacerbates the problem. It's a crappy situation.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

quote:

É uma delação como jamais foi feita na Lava-Jato: Nela, o presidente Michel Temer foi gravado em um diálogo embaraçoso. Diante de Joesley, Temer indicou o deputado Rodrigo Rocha Loures (PMDB-PR) para resolver um assunto da J&F (holding que controla a JBS). Posteriormente, Rocha Loures foi filmado recebendo uma mala com R$ 500 mil enviados por Joesley. Temer também ouviu do empresário que estava dando a Eduardo Cunha e ao operador Lúcio Funaro uma mesada na prisão para ficarem calados. Diante da informação, Temer incentivou: "Tem que manter isso, viu?".

Aécio Neves foi gravado pedindo R$ 2 milhões a Joesley. O dinheiro foi entregue a um primo do presidente do PSDB, numa cena devidamente filmada pela Polícia Federal. A PF rastreou o caminho dos reais. Descobriu que eles foram depositados numa empresa do senador Zeze Perrella (PSDB-MG).

Joesley relatou também que Guido Mantega era o seu contato com o PT. Era com o ex-ministro da Fazenda de Lula e Dilma Rousseff que o dinheiro de propina era negociado para ser distribuído aos petistas e aliados. Mantega também operava os interesses da JBS no BNDES.

Joesley revelou também que pagou R$ 5 milhões para Eduardo Cunha após sua prisão, valor referente a um saldo de propina que o peemedebista tinha com ele. Disse ainda que devia R$ 20 milhões pela tramitação de lei sobre a desoneração tributária do setor de frango.

Pela primeira vez na Lava-Jato foram feitas "ações controladas", num total de sete. Ou seja, um meio de obtenção de prova em flagrante, mas em que a ação da polícia é adiada para o momento mais oportuno para a investigação. Significa que os diálogos e as entregas de malas (ou mochilas) com dinheiro foram filmadas pela PF. As cédulas tinham seus números de série informados aos procuradores. Como se fosse pouco, as malas ou mochilas estavam com chips para que se pudesse rastrear o caminho dos reais. Nessas ações controladas foram distribuídos cerca de R$ 3 milhões em propinas carimbadas durante todo o mês de abril.

I'm shocked. Shocked!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Magrov posted:

I'm shocked. Shocked!

Machine translation below. Holy poo poo, it doesn't get more incriminating than this. Which is why I expect nothing will come out of it.

quote:

It's a deed like never before in the Lava-Jet: In it, President Michel Temer was recorded in an embarrassing dialogue. In front of Joesley, Temer appointed Deputy Rodrigo Rocha Loures (PMDB-PR) to resolve a matter of J & F (holding that controls JBS). Subsequently, Rocha Loures was filmed receiving a $ 500,000 suitcase sent by Joesley. Temer also heard from the businessman that he was giving Eduardo Cunha and the operator Lúcio Funaro an allowance in prison to keep quiet. Facing the information, Temer encouraged: "You have to keep this, have you?"

Aécio Neves was recorded asking Joesley for $ 2 million. The money was handed to a cousin of the PSDB president, in a scene duly filmed by the Federal Police. The PF tracked the way of the reals. He discovered that they were deposited in a company of Senator Zeze Perrella (PSDB-MG).

Joesley also reported that Guido Mantega was his contact with the PT. It was with former finance minister Lula and Dilma Rousseff that tip money was negotiated for distribution to the PTs and allies. Mantega also operated the interests of JBS at the BNDES.

Joesley also revealed that he paid R $ 5 million to Eduardo Cunha after his arrest, a figure referring to a balance of bribes that the peemedebista had with him. He also said that he owed R $ 20 million for the law on the tax exemption of the chicken sector.

For the first time in the Lava-Jet, "controlled actions" were made, for a total of seven. That is, a means of obtaining evidence in flagrante, but in which the action of the police is postponed to the most opportune moment for the investigation. It means that the dialogues and deliveries of bags (or backpacks) with money were filmed by the PF. The banknotes had their serial numbers informed to the prosecutors. As if that were not enough, the bags or backpacks were with chips so that it could trace the way of the real ones. In these controlled shares, approximately R $ 3 million were distributed in stamps stamped throughout the month of April.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
First, I have no doubt that Lula is guilty. But it is incredible that Lula's verdict and possible sentence will come out in June, while the Mensalao Mineiro will prescribe next year. And Delcidio lost his mandate for obstruction of justice, while Aecio is caught on tape saying:

"Tem que ser um que a gente mata ele antes de fazer delação. Vai ser o Fred com um cara seu. Vamos combinar o Fred com um cara seu porque ele sai de lá e vai no cara. E você vai me dar uma ajuda do caralho "

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That's it, fellas! Now everything's gonna change!

Psyche.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

First, I have no doubt that Lula is guilty. But it is incredible that Lula's verdict and possible sentence will come out in June, while the Mensalao Mineiro will prescribe next year. And Delcidio lost his mandate for obstruction of justice, while Aecio is caught on tape saying:

"Tem que ser um que a gente mata ele antes de fazer delação. Vai ser o Fred com um cara seu. Vamos combinar o Fred com um cara seu porque ele sai de lá e vai no cara. E você vai me dar uma ajuda do caralho "

regardless of his guilt or innocence, the best thing he could do was get the gently caress out of politics. looks like he will stick around in the future, being our Hillary: taking the opportunity from other better leftist candidates and being an easy target for the opposition.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I mean, is there a popular leftist option besides Lula?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather he just go away too, but who else is there with anything resembling his national appeal?

... Ciro Gomes? gently caress.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Amazing.

I was watching the Trump fiasco going on and it struck me why it felt so cathartic to follow the media going to town on that guy and public opinion following suit. We have the same kind of scandals and worse (obstruction of justice happens regularly in every level of the Brazilian government, for one), but all our TV networks and most major newspapers are Fox News.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Unnamed One posted:

I mean, is there a popular leftist option besides Lula?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather he just go away too, but who else is there with anything resembling his national appeal?

... Ciro Gomes? gently caress.

Maybe Alessandro Molon? He would have my vote, if he decides to run. He's trying to get in the spotlight recently, so that's a possibility.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Can any brasilian goon confirm that people took to the streets over the bribery tapes?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

Can any brasilian goon confirm that people took to the streets over the bribery tapes?

Yep, people got pepper sprayed in Brasilia. Moderate sized protests in Sao Paulo too.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Goddammit Brasil get your act together you're giving banana republics a bad name.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Aécio is going to be arrested (before Lula)

http://politica.estadao.com.br/blogs/fausto-macedo/janot-pede-prisao-de-aecio-fachin-manda-ao-plenario-do-supremo/

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I can't possibly keep up with all the news this week.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Temer is going down, there is no other way. And then god only knows what

edit: even loving MBL is demanding Temer to quit. Absolutely no one is on his side anymore. PSDB is too busy trying to get rid of Aécio somehow

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 18, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Of course this has to all happen in the week before my biochem exam. poo poo.

Then againm being a political junkie deserves punishment.

Realtalk: I was a newsroom serf at Gazeta Mercantil/Jornal do Brasil in 2006/2007. A tiny fish by any measure, but I was friends with some of the rich kids that were trying to invest in both vehicles to give their backers a megaphone. The ki nd of 'friends' that make you work like a slave in their projects for no money because 'It'll be good for you in the long run', but well...they talked.

Even then, ten years ago when Aecio was barely a name in national politics, said bigshits would tell me (to show how much inside pull and info they had and how important they were) that it was an open secret that Aecio snorted coke like a fiend, that his sister basically operated a state-wide network of graft and intimidation, and that he was compromised with criminal elements more serious than the usual companies.

In the years since, both of my friend in the press of Minas Gerais quit out of sheer disgust at what they saw there. It was not an informal gag order on any bad news about him and his operation, it was pretty much engraved in bronze in every news room. One went to cover gastronomy for a website, the other basically quit journalism altogether and starter working for an NGO.

A reminder than in Brazil, nothing big happens until it is convenient, or finally inevitable.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Áecio being a corrupt rear end in a top hat was pretty much an open secret in Minas, yeah. I have tons of journalist friends and everyone that worked or knew someone that worked there said the exact same thing. Like, I wasn't in love with PT during the elections but it was obvious Aécio was a terrible alternative.

EDIT:

Ah, I think this merits clarification: for any foreigners thinking "well, this is good news, right?", well...if Temer is impeached (WHEN Temer is impeached), our Constitution says we get indirect elections in 30 days, with Congress members voting on who they want to be the new president. No popular participation at all, God knows who is elligible, it's a mess. Of course, Congress can always try and antecipate the 2018 general elections, but I dunno if they'll do that.

Dias fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 18, 2017

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Dias posted:

Ah, I think this merits clarification: for any foreigners thinking "well, this is good news, right?", well...if Temer is impeached (WHEN Temer is impeached), our Constitution says we get indirect elections in 30 days, with Congress members voting on who they want to be the new president. No popular participation at all, God knows who is elligible, it's a mess. Of course, Congress can always try and antecipate the 2018 general elections, but I dunno if they'll do that.
I've heard rumors of a third term for Fernando Henrique Cardoso. :suicide:

Which admittedly wouldn't be worse than Temer.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Cunha somehow got arrested again. From inside the prison

Brazil is confusing

edit: looks like Aécio is not getting arrested after all (not today, at least), STF denied it. But his political career is is pretty much over anyway (he got suspended from the senate and should renounce from PSDB presidency today)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 18, 2017

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
So... Is this impeachable? Who becomes president if Temer goes down?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Freezer posted:

So... Is this impeachable? Who becomes president if Temer goes down?

Definitely, and I think it's just a question of whether he's gonna be in office for the procedure. Congress president gets to run the country for the 30 days until they vote on a new president, Constitution isn't clear on who's eligible at all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Noblat, a journalist pretty close to the president (and his biggest rear end-licker), just announced that Temer is to rennounce today:

https://twitter.com/BlogdoNoblat/status/865263252309254144

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

What do the people on the floor make of this?

Is this....good?

Corrupt politicians going away is always good, but who's next? Would Lula run if they call for early elections? Who the hell is going to take Neves position, and would anyone vote for them? When you have the party leaders acting like this you really can't trust any of them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mr. Nemo posted:

What do the people on the floor make of this?

Is this....good?

Corrupt politicians going away is always good, but who's next? Would Lula run if they call for early elections? Who the hell is going to take Neves position, and would anyone vote for them? When you have the party leaders acting like this you really can't trust any of them.

No one knows. Lula already said he's running in 2018, which to me means they're gonna try and speed up his process so he's rendered ineligible. Aécio was already on his way out as a presidential candidate, I think. PSDB could run FHC again or João Dória Jr., to bank on the "administrator, not politician" trend. I'd bet on Dória.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/otempo/status/865254786899353601

Haha, get hosed.

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 18, 2017

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Huh, Temer is denying everything on the tapes. Interesting.

edit: HE IS NOT QUITTING!!!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, as much as I wanted Temer to renounce, this was expected. Dude is hosed either way, but this way he keeps his privileges (and also protects his cabinet).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Protests being called for today, tomorrow, and for the weekend

This is gonna be interesting

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

goddamn I was worried for a minute that the americans were going to outclass us

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

End of Evangélico.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So is Brazil just corrupt everywhere?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Temer is going to ride this out. Several media vehicles are already focusing back on PT (And it does look like coming leaks implicate them as well), or waffling on how big or conclusive this really is. He can still spread positions to gain some level of support and rely on his pals to delay things. Besides, he needs immunity, and if he steps down now he will be truly useless (having failed to deliver the goods) and without friends.

Temer is paying big for support both in the media and congress, and the powers that be will think twice before handing the opposition such a big win. I hope I'm wrong, but by next week I think this will be as much a factor as his "Yeah, I took over because Dilma wouldn't do the reforms" taped speech in the US and the future-telling Jucá phone call.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Pharohman777 posted:

uuhhh... yes?

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Pharohman777 posted:

So is South America Brazil just corrupt everywhere?

Fixed that for you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pharohman777 posted:

That but actually worst

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The thing that takes most gringos a long time to adjust to in Brazil is the corruption of daily life. Like the usual "with or without a receipt?" question.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Double post to say that there are reports that the senate is simply going to declare the STF decision regarding Aecio invalid so that he can continue to serve as a senator.

All of my friends who were "see, this is not at all biased against PT, they are catching people of all parties" have not said much the past few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

The thing that takes most gringos a long time to adjust to in Brazil is the corruption of daily life. Like the usual "with or without a receipt?" question.

So its literally "Are you going to bribe me or not?" That explicitly?