Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I never got why that blinking guy became a meme, it's just a guy blinking.

Because reaction gifs are popular and his expression was just exaggerated enough to be noticed and ambiguous enough that it could be used for surprise, indignation, or false indignation. Also it was only his face so there was no need to crop out other things or context. It was pretty versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

goatface posted:

Become the ultimate spider-pap.

Why doesn't he go freelance and sell pics to places to TMZ and US Weekly and poo poo, or use his Spidey powers to get juicy celeb photos? Don't paparazzi get insane money for some some juicy shots?

I'm not talking about boring ones like 'Nick Nolte stops by Tasti D-Lite', but really juicy pics like 'Senator Caught buying Goblin Serum; Hooker' or 'Drunken Ghost Rider Crashes into Guy's American Kitchen & Bar!'

Lobok posted:

Peter could run a repair shop. Keeps him tinkering rather than Tony Stark-style inventing, makes the community a supporting cast, and leaves him with time and cover to be gone when he wants assuming he has partners or employees to run the shop in his stead. And it means he gets decent money rather than playboy riches or hobo destitution. May could be the cashier. Or Hobie Brown could be his business partner. You could even include a retcon and say Uncle Ben used to run one (before he was an electrician or whatever his job was...?) And there'd be all kinds of interesting comic book science stuff for him to solve. Like people's refrigerators are floating because of some recent supervillain in the area who :techno: discharged focused gravitons :techno: or whatever.

Peter and Hobie should be the current day Billy Mays and uh, whoever the OxyClean guy is. Just come up with gadgets and poo poo, dumb 'em down a bit/a bunch, sell them on late night infomercials.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 17, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Why doesn't he go freelance and sell pics to places to TMZ and US Weekly and poo poo, or use his Spidey powers to get juicy celeb photos? Don't paparazzi get insane money for some some juicy shots?

I'm not talking about boring ones like 'Nick Nolte stops by Tasti D-Lite', but really juicy pics like 'Senator Caught buying Goblin Serum; Hooker' or 'Drunken Ghost Rider Crashes into Guy's American Kitchen & Bar!'

In the old comics when he tried to sell to competitors who offered better rates they were really drat curious about how he got his shots and pressed him about it until he got the flop sweats.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lurdiak posted:

In the old comics when he tried to sell to competitors who offered better rates they were really drat curious about how he got his shots and pressed him about it until he got the flop sweats.

Yeah Jameson doesn't ask questions, he just wants pictures. Pictures of Spider-man!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah Jameson doesn't ask questions, he just wants pictures. Pictures of Spider-man!

He was once curious enough to hire a private investigator, but he's easily distracted, so he decided to turn that private investigator into a scorpion.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fair point, but it's 2017 now (who the Hell knows what time void NSM exists in).

'Look, do you want to ask how I got outside Di Caprio's 16th story hotel window, or do you want this photo of him beating an underaged girl dressed like the Pope? I can take it to People.'

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

Fair point, but it's 2017 now (who the Hell knows what time void NSM exists in).

'Look, do you want to ask how I got outside Di Caprio's 16th story hotel window, or do you want this photo of him beating an underaged girl dressed like the Pope? I can take it to People Pals.'

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pete's Im sick of this poo poo face.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Synthbuttrange posted:

Pete's Im sick of this poo poo face.

"This is the fifth loving time, Spider-Sense, if it's another janitor dropping his keys we're going the gently caress home"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dropping keys, no. but jangling keys? peter cannot resist that siren song.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Aunt May is going to keep Peter in his seat long enough for the Mole Man to do whatever and get away, isn't she? (See also 'the Bruce Wayne problem'.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

FredMSloniker posted:

Aunt May is going to keep Peter in his seat long enough for the Mole Man to do whatever and get away, isn't she? (See also 'the Bruce Wayne problem'.)

His evil scheme seems to be "look at Aunt May without people trying to throw him out." He's basically the Hulk, but with elderliness instead of anger.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his one last look seems to be lasting for hours and will likely include watching her on the toilet

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

He was once curious enough to hire a private investigator, but he's easily distracted, so he decided to turn that private investigator into a scorpion.

Goddamn do I love JJJ :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

He is my favorite character in any medium.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jerusalem posted:

If you love JJJ, the 'Sweet Charity' one-shot comic from 2002 is a treat. It's a bit odd (because I think it actually was released for proceeds to charity) but al in all, the basics are at a charity event to raise money for 9/11 first responders IIRC Spidey and JJJ are at a celeb charity auction and are 'against' each other for a weekend camping trip (ofc JJJ is getting all the bids). Then drunk Al Kravenoff drops like one billion for the two of them to go camping. Together.

Hilarity ensues, the Scorpion shows up. I think it's implied somebody shits them self?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is that the one with Jay Leno?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of my favorite JJJ stories is from Alias. He hires Jessica Jones to figure out Spider-Man's secret identity, and she takes the money and uses it on a charity for kids instead. From memory there's a panel where Robbie is going,"No Jonah it'll be a bad look if you sue somebody for giving money to sick kids.... :cripes:"

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

LadyPictureShow posted:

If you love JJJ, the 'Sweet Charity' one-shot comic from 2002 is a treat. It's a bit odd (because I think it actually was released for proceeds to charity) but al in all, the basics are at a charity event to raise money for 9/11 first responders IIRC Spidey and JJJ are at a celeb charity auction and are 'against' each other for a weekend camping trip (ofc JJJ is getting all the bids). Then drunk Al Kravenoff drops like one billion for the two of them to go camping. Together.

Hilarity ensues, the Scorpion shows up. I think it's implied somebody shits them self?

I remember this. Scorpion gets attacked by wolves, and eats some of them in lack of any other food.

Let's just say that wolf meat is not very good for you and leave it at that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oops wrong thread

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 18, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think you posted that in the wrong thread

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
With great marketing comes great profitability.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Do you guys remember when Ronan's hammer ate a sandwich.

I remember.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And an entire pot of coffee and a bottle of ketchup! :allears:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I was seriously expecting them to win by forcing Ronan to use up all his energy and then giving him nothing to feed on. Since that's typically what happens when you conspicuously introduce a plot element at the end of the first act works. But instead it's just this gloriously random scene, never to be mentioned again.

Shine on, you crazy spider.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Do you guys remember when Ronan's hammer ate a sandwich.

I remember.

Clearly the artist had a HUGE misunderstanding when Stan told him to emulate Kirby.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Discendo Vox posted:

Let me know if you'd like it poster-sized.
I made it an .eps so everyone can have it at whatever size without pixelating, it seemed like a nice thing to do.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

CapnAndy posted:

I made it an .eps so everyone can have it at whatever size without pixelating, it seemed like a nice thing to do.

Thank you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Art.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

lmao

Not as devastating as "who is that puny insignificant creature with you", but still incredible.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Just wanna join everybody else in saying "gently caress me his shin whacking stick is legitimately more effective than most guns in this comic"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that Mole Man - well-known King of the Mole-People who has publicly clashed with the Fantastic Four on multiple occasions - thinks that the only way somebody could know who he is is if HE also knows who they are :allears:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

I love how the guards swap places between the first and second panels.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Jukebox Hero posted:

Just wanna join everybody else in saying "gently caress me his shin whacking stick is legitimately more effective than most guns in this comic"

I don't think Mole Man's whacking stick has ever actually failed even once, from security guards to Spiderman to the Thing. At this point it has a better record than Ronan's universal weapon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZeroCount posted:

I don't think Mole Man's whacking stick has ever actually failed even once, from security guards to Spiderman to the Thing. At this point it has a better record than Ronan's universal weapon.

maybe, but can it eat a burger?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I love how the guards swap places between the first and second panels.

He catches and hooks the closer guard with his whacking stick, then hits the further guard back and away with his friend.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moonshot hope that Mole Man has a tunnel to K'un-Lun where he learned his stick-whacking, turning into an Iron Fist crossover.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I like how Mole Man hit those cops so hard that he switched their races.

Edit: I also enjoy the fact that the Whacking Stick so far appears to be on par power-wise with Ronan's Universal Weapon.

Edit2: It can't eat sandwiches though!

Edit 3: CAN IT?!?!

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Mole Man is secretly a Kree warrior in exile

• Locked thread