Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's never coming out lol

quote:

Jon Shafer was 21 years old when he became lead designer of Civilization V. Now working at Paradox on an unannounced project and on his own historical strategy game At The Gates in his spare time,
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/17/jon-shafer-on-designing-civilization-5-joining-paradox-and-making-strategy-games-better/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I've never backed a game on KS, is there no clause that lets you get your money back if the guy just stops working on it?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

GrossMurpel posted:

I've never backed a game on KS, is there no clause that lets you get your money back if the guy just stops working on it?

well, it's complicated. Technically not creating "something" goes against kickstarters terms of service. The problem is that kickstarter itself isn't willing to fight that battle, so outside of actually suing the guy who hosed you over there's not a whole lot you can do.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

GrossMurpel posted:

That's the annoying part of Kickstarter: there isn't. Essentially, what you're doing with kickstarter is giving someone money in the vain hope that what you will actually be released, and actually resembles what you wanted to get. There's a real risk of the product not delivering, occasionally because they just ran of with the money, usually because the people involved have massively overestimated their skills and money just ran out. And it's really difficult to get your money back from someone who's mostly bankrupt. I'd argue it's never a good idea to back a kickstarter.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I haven't backed something since KS was the newest rage and everyone and their dog had a new project and even then I think I only ever paid for about 3 things. Of those Wasteland 2 and Carmagaeddon have been released, I doubt Star Citizen ever will be but I guess it technically hasn't been cancelled or abandoned either.

Really my advice on that would be use common sense before giving someone your money but seeing as how the people behind AtG and Star Citizen were fairly well known industry insiders that obviously doesn't always apply. I don't mind having made Chris Roberts $50 richer though, after all this time I don't even miss the money. And I've spent more on far stupider poo poo over the years.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Of course if your country has even slightly sane consumer protection laws you are entitled to a refund, so sending a request is always a good idea.

E: This goes doubly for Star Citizen. Make reference to your country's consumer protection agency and they should fold. They're in such deep poo poo they're only really interested in keeping the whales.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 17, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ow. No discussion of the kickstarter at all. That's pretty embarrassing.

(This is the official At the Gates thread now. Hi, Jon. :mad: )

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Kickstarter originally made a big deal about how it was NOT a preorder service, but that fell by the wayside almost immediately.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I could roll in kickstarter schadenfreude like a pig in poo poo. Even though I was very interested in ATG (I didn't back it), I also love just looking at the frozen-in-time hubris from the KS page:

"$40,000 is not a large budget for a game with this kind of scope. But it's sufficient to finish At the Gates because we've already made significant progress, and have a very small development team. (They ended up raising over $100k)

"Our launch target for At the Gates is the first half of 2014.That date is obviously pretty far off, but we believe in setting realistic deadlines and being honest with you all about what to expect. A game like this can't be built in six months. Well, not a good one, anyways!

"And, should this Kickstarter be a success, once development on At the Gates ultimately winds down we’ll begin work on other fresh, deep and ambitious titles. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves now!"

:v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
theres no way in hell i'll give anyone money for a shafer game until at the gates is done, which is to say i will never give anyone money for a shafer game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

also civ 5 had some good ideas but it was balanced like poo poo and only got 'good' by adding a bunch more half-baked systems so i'm waiting to see an actual good game

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

theres no way in hell i'll give anyone money for a shafer game until at the gates is done, which is to say i will never give anyone money for a shafer game

Yeah I hate to say it, but any review of a Paradox game Shafer develops should begin and end with 'by Jon Shafer, who took a load of kickstarter money for ATG and then never released anything'.

Taking customer's money and then walking away should be a career ending fuckup.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I hate to say it, but any review of a Paradox game Shafer develops should begin and end with 'by Jon Shafer, who took a load of kickstarter money for ATG and then never released anything'.

Taking customer's money and then walking away should be a career ending fuckup.
That would just be an indicator of just how passionate he is about his Paradox published game, being willing to throw his credibility away to create it.

Alternatively, he's funneling money from that game into ATG's development.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
That's kind of the point though, you're not a customer.

You're an investor, and one of the key points of investing is you do so in the full knowledge you may gain nothing and lose everything.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

also civ 5 had some good ideas but it was balanced like poo poo and only got 'good' by adding a bunch more half-baked systems so i'm waiting to see an actual good game

I have more hours in Civ V than any other game in my library, and I can't really put into words why. Like, there are so many bad design decisions and combat was complete rear end until Gods and Kings, but somehow the whole picture was fun enough that I keep going back to it.

CKII is rapidly catching up to it, but that's because very few games let me ram a boat into Cthulhu and eat my brother.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
At least Magna Mundi and East vs West weren't kickstarters.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Don Gato posted:

I have more hours in Civ V than any other game in my library, and I can't really put into words why. Like, there are so many bad design decisions and combat was complete rear end until Gods and Kings, but somehow the whole picture was fun enough that I keep going back to it.

CKII is rapidly catching up to it, but that's because very few games let me ram a boat into Cthulhu and eat my brother.

Do you not own a copy of EU4?
I would have played more Civ5 (and more multiplayer) if achievements worked better.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Westminster System posted:

You're an investor, and one of the key points of investing is you do so in the full knowledge you may gain nothing and lose everything.

Yeah, nah. You're not getting a share of the company. You're long-term pre-ordering a game you want made.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, nah. You're not getting a share of the company. You're long-term pre-ordering a game you want made.

Investment doesn't always necessarily give shares, it is just the common practice within business as a way of having collateral. Kickstarter is investment without collateral. A project on Kickstarter doesn't necessarily have to promise you a free copy, it just have become common practice to offer that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
And if they promise a t-shirt rather than a copy of the game and fail to give you a t-shirt you can still ask for a refund. You're purchasing whatever product the reward tier offers you. It's not an investment.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

StashAugustine posted:

Sounds like his design will fit right in with Paradox.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm entirely okay with 'Kickstarting something means taking the risk that nothing will come out of it'.

My point is that the other edge of that sword is that if you have taken a bunch of money in the past and failed to deliver anything for it, you can't complain when people hold that against you in the future. In this case Paradox should really have considered that having Shafer's name attached to a project is not a PR plus right now.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Moral of the story: never invest in kickstarters that rely on dropping the name of a developer like it means anything

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Agean90 posted:

Moral of the story: never invest in kickstarters that rely on dropping the name of a developer like it means anything

Too late I'm giving money to Phoenix Point.

/sends money into the void in the hope that Gollop will do something neat with it

e: Basically yeah it's a nice moral but if you say the right name and post screencaps people can be real dumb with their money. At least Gollop's done one of these ks things before.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 18, 2017

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Not a good look hiring a guy that has 100k of kickstarter money and pulls a disappearing act. However, don't write kick starter checks you don't mind never seeing a return on investment for either.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you waste money on kickstarters you deserve anything you get

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Too late I'm giving money to Phoenix Point.

/sends money into the void in the hope that Gollop will do something neat with it

e: Basically yeah it's a nice moral but if you say the right name and post screencaps people can be real dumb with their money. At least Gollop's done one of these ks things before.

I've ks/backed Battletech and Phoenix Point. Both of those were on the basis that the people asking for money had a track record of delivering finished products. Phoenix Point is a bit more of a punt than Battletech given I think there's a risk that they could deliver everything promised and it just won't come together into something that's fun or unique, but I figure anyone who has ever played any XCOM style game can throw $20 Gollop's way by way of thanks.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Agean90 posted:

Moral of the story: never invest in kickstarters

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

What about that potato salad kickstarter?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Westminster System posted:

You're a loving idiot but even if we accept this dumb premise you can't take people's investment money and then just disappear and expect them to give you money ever again

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ITT people pretend that investments don't give you the right to any expectations ever

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Tahirovic posted:

Do you not own a copy of EU4?
I would have played more Civ5 (and more multiplayer) if achievements worked better.

I do, but I "only" have 300 hours in it. Been smashing my head against the wall recently to get the sunset invasion achievement; as frustrating as it gets at least it isn't as much of a pain as it used to be to westernize. It did apparently bug out on my because I got none of the horrible events you are supposed to get, so I lept forward a few hundred years in tech with no downsides overnight :v:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I have EU4 but can't really get the hang of it, is there a good tutorial series somewhere?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you enjoy videos a Streamer by the name of Arumba has this series : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DesDCb2WU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
As someone who could never get into EU4, I'd really recommend MEIOU & Taxes rather than vanilla to learn the game at this point. The automation of a bunch of mechanics to add simulationism really ends up cutting down on the game knowledge required to play at this point.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

As someone who could never get into EU4, I'd really recommend MEIOU & Taxes rather than vanilla to learn the game at this point. The automation of a bunch of mechanics to add simulationism really ends up cutting down on the game knowledge required to play at this point.

Can you link to the mods? I keep trying to get into EUIV but never can to the degree I do with CK and Stellaris.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Can you link to the mods? I keep trying to get into EUIV but never can to the degree I do with CK and Stellaris.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...s-here.1022034/

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dear god do not play MEIOU & Taxes as an intro to the game, it adds a ton of things too. Yeah the base game is bloated with features but just looking at the MEIOU & Taxes map makes me lose my lunch.

The EU4 thread is really chill and people there are always happy to help answer questions, so maybe check that out too. I think the OP is a little out of date but the thread is active enough that people will help you out if you ask.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I've read the thread and everyone is cool in it. I guess the problem is finding a tutorial that isn't bloated like some of the Arumba ones (though informative) that is up to date with the current dlc. I just want for lack of a better term a really good instruction manual tutorial. Part of it is explaining functions and things like say in CKII to always check your potential War targets prestige or piety to protect against possible spawnable troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The best tutorial is to just play the game until you figure things out.