Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Yeah you should be able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

please knock Mom! posted:

I've never seen a genuinely good player with a mentor crown. Always slackers
I'm a mentor, but I have the crown disabled because it's ugly. It only shows up if I queue for the mentor roulette and I wish I could disable that!

jyrque posted:

Pretty much this. You have n number of players with a combined x amount of total jobs and classes. Each class/job equipment is saved individually and because Tanaka, this information is updated to server almost instantaneously. Meaning there's a lot of data being managed back and forth for little payoff.

All the gearsets and macros and whatnot are client side. The only thing stored on the server is your armoury chest and xp values.

Better hope you don't lose your settings if you have many classes! :v:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

a7m2 posted:

Can you use the transfer service to transfer from an EU server to a Japanese server?
From world transfer page: * Characters can also be transferred between data centers.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Truga posted:

I'm a mentor, but I have the crown disabled because it's ugly. It only shows up if I queue for the mentor roulette and I wish I could disable that!

All the gearsets and macros and whatnot are client side. The only thing stored on the server is your armoury chest and xp values.

Better hope you don't lose your settings if you have many classes! :v:

Gearsets sure, but the information of what you are currently wearing per class needs to be saved on the server. The server keeps track of your armory/inventory which must include current gear as well, otherwise you'd lose your gear if you uninstall the game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Man, Kingdom Hearts got weird.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Lemon-Lime posted:

Midlady ones are surprisingly decent except for that run animation, but yeah, catgirl emotes are really good.

Yeah I went catgirl at the end of ARR and while it wasn't bad, it never felt like my character so I switched back to my old boring midlander. The run animation is really the biggest thing I enjoyed as a catgirl over midlander. Wish we could learn new animations like they do with dances.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jyrque posted:

Gearsets sure, but the information of what you are currently wearing per class needs to be saved on the server. The server keeps track of your armory/inventory which must include current gear as well, otherwise you'd lose your gear if you uninstall the game.

Why per class? It just keeps what you're currently wearing, which it would have to anyway even if only one class existed.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Truga posted:

Why per class? It just keeps what you're currently wearing, which it would have to anyway even if only one class existed.

It's leftover from 1.0, it doesn't have to make sense. :v:

I wish I could find the interview or QA session where Yoshi explained the inventory system re: servers. Basically it's inefficient and lovely and given the time they would like to fix it but it's so rooted into legacy code that doing so would be a huge undertaking.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rhix posted:

Yeah I went catgirl at the end of ARR and while it wasn't bad, it never felt like my character so I switched back to my old boring midlander. The run animation is really the biggest thing I enjoyed as a catgirl over midlander. Wish we could learn new animations like they do with dances.

The catgirl jump, /doze, /panic and /shocked are all reasons why catgirls are really good.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I switched to male au ra for HW launch. They had some nice animations but their run felt really off.

I still miss my original lala the most, lala animations are top top tier. Unfortunately their endgame glamour options were too limited so I swapped to a catgirl dressup doll.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I must be the only one who genuinely likes male au ra run. They look goofy doing so but drat it they give it their all!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I don't mind it, but it feels very... weird and stilted I guess, like it comes from a different game or something.

I swapped to male Hellsguard a month or two back and while the animations aren't exciting they fit well enough and the /dance is so hilariously half-assed and intentionally awkward. I think potatoes have the best animations on the whole though, I just can't bring myself to ever actually play one.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
It's probably the fact au ra look like they should move a lot faster than they actually do. Roe forgo this by jogging instead of doing their damnedest to out-anime everyone else.

ixxit
Oct 15, 2010
Glad to see that people generally haven't taken too bad of a hit with the server move, but I seem to be one of the unlucky ones.

My ping from PA went from a pretty constant 35ms to 120-160ms with pretty noticeable packet loss. Can no longer double weave oGCDs on any class without clipping massively, and generally seeing a lot of rubberbanding, inputs not registering, etc. I'd probably be looking into a VPN service right now, if I weren't a PS4 peasant.

Really discouraging, since performing at a high level on DPS classes is sort of my main enjoyment of the game. As it is, I'm pretty close to cancelling my SB preorder.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

space jerk posted:

Glad to see that people generally haven't taken too bad of a hit with the server move, but I seem to be one of the unlucky ones.

My ping from PA went from a pretty constant 35ms to 120-160ms with pretty noticeable packet loss. Can no longer double weave oGCDs on any class without clipping massively, and generally seeing a lot of rubberbanding, inputs not registering, etc. I'd probably be looking into a VPN service right now, if I weren't a PS4 peasant.

Really discouraging, since performing at a high level on DPS classes is sort of my main enjoyment of the game. As it is, I'm pretty close to cancelling my SB preorder.

If your PS4 goes through a router you might still be able to use a VPN.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Asimo posted:

I think potatoes have the best animations on the whole though, I just can't bring myself to ever actually play one.

:same:

I still have two or three fantasias remaining, I'm half tempted to go dragonwaif, but then I'd have to rename to be ~lore appropriate~.

Asimo posted:

I swapped to male Hellsguard a month or two back and while the animations aren't exciting they fit well enough and the /dance is so hilariously half-assed and intentionally awkward. I think potatoes have the best animations on the whole though, I just can't bring myself to ever actually play one.

I went roegadame for a couple of weeks and while roegadames look absolutely great, I don't know how anyone can tolerate:
- the run animation that makes it look like you're running at half speed, because the model has longer legs but has to move at the same speed as shorter races.
- the cutscene camera angles that literally cannot keep up with how tall you are.
- emotes and animations being super generic/boring.
- the inability to look good in anything even remotely frilly.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 18, 2017

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I switched to male au ra for HW launch. They had some nice animations but their run felt really off.

I still miss my original lala the most, lala animations are top top tier. Unfortunately their endgame glamour options were too limited so I swapped to a catgirl dressup doll.

Only one glamour you'll ever need.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I've recently turned elezen. It took a while to get over how lankynthey are but I really like it now. Giraffes for life!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

- the cutscene camera angles that literally cannot keep up with how tall you are.
- the inability to look good in anything even remotely frilly.
To be fair these two are perks, not problems.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I started as elezen, but their heads just seem too small, limbs too thick and they felt like they would fall over or stumble at any time. I settled for highlander after 2 fantasias.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If I had a guess, I'd say they're going to just 1-70 as the same job with maybe a change to the name, but no way to revert to the class. Scholar will just become an unlock at 30 job the way DRK/MCH/AST are unlock at 50. They've already indicated that this is the path they're going down with the end of the warrior questline. For those not in the know. after the big beefy roedown, the marauder's guild in Limsa invites Curious Gorge and his brother to come train all marauders in the art of the warrior.

Classes do take up a lot of data per player, though, because they are distinct from the jobs. Hotbars are one example because they're stored differently for class/jobs. They may keep the class names, but I figure once you get the job stone there will be no going back.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

space jerk posted:

You are a prime candidate for a VPN. After a quick googling I'm seeing VPN options that you can set up router side that will work with your PS4.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Corn Dog Fountain posted:

I've recently turned elezen. It took a while to get over how lankynthey are but I really like it now. Giraffes for life!

:yeah:

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

Whoa, that's a pretty sweet chestpiece! Which one is it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cu Chulainn posted:

Whoa, that's a pretty sweet chestpiece! Which one is it?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/7990872df4c

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

jyrque posted:

It's leftover from 1.0, it doesn't have to make sense. :v:

I wish I could find the interview or QA session where Yoshi explained the inventory system re: servers. Basically it's inefficient and lovely and given the time they would like to fix it but it's so rooted into legacy code that doing so would be a huge undertaking.

all you need to know about how retardedly 1.0 was put together was that the mouse cursor was software controlled

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The hat that goes with it is pretty sweet too.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/fff22787e7c/

Office Surprise Store posted:

all you need to know about how retardedly 1.0 was put together was that the mouse cursor was software controlled
Also that the entire UI was handled server-side, so you'd have a half second or more lag for everything you did with it. :stare:

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

Thank you kindly!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Asimo posted:

Also that the entire UI was handled server-side, so you'd have a half second or more lag for everything you did with it. :stare:

I remember it being a mess of nested menus or something too when I tried out the open beta for 1.0. The UI being a huge pain was one of the bigger reasons I wrote off the game.

Also, I remember there not being much in the way of quests, or no good direction to them, only thing I could find to do was to take a levee from town and run like 5 minutes to where I could start it. Then halfway through doing the levee the game dc'd me, failing the levee.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

I bet you they didn't think anything was wrong because they were always working with the UI locally or one hop from the Data Center, with no load on the equipment.

Then they let players in.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Pretty lame tho, last media tour was in a badass castle situated in France (if im not mistaken) and now this SanFran suburb apt. Talk about expectations for stormblood...

squeenix is expecting stormblood to fail because they didn't rent a castle in san francisco for this leg of the media tour

idiocy aside the inside of the building is up on the jp blog and it looks pretty nice

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lemon-Lime posted:

:same:

I still have two or three fantasias remaining, I'm half tempted to go dragonwaif, but then I'd have to rename to be ~lore appropriate~.

Welcome to my special, special hell.

Anyway having played as five races to date I can say with certainty that potatoes have the best overall animations by a lot, in terms of both personality and technical execution; this is helped by a lot of their animations being actually new from 2.0 onward (taters got a massive overhaul of things like their run cycle compared to 1.x). Dragon waifs are also up there, although they can sometimes be a little taciturn when they should be more expressive. Catgirls are odd - while their "original" animation set which was inherited/slightly modified from 1.x can be pretty generically cute and a bit boring, their more recent animations and whatnot are absolutely top-shelf. The power of /spectacles alone is ensuring I'm actually going to remain a goddamn catgirl for the foreseeable future, and 2013 me would have found that idea completely ludicrous.

edit: like, seriously:

Stills don't even begin to do it justice and I wish I wasn't so terminally loving bad at gifs. It's the exact attitude I've wanted out of my huge dork of a character all this time.

Bonus BLM sass, which is shared but also looks goddamn excellent:

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 18, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Did somebody say Elezen?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

Welcome to my special, special hell.

Anyway having played as five races to date I can say with certainty that potatoes have the best overall animations by a lot, in terms of both personality and technical execution; this is helped by a lot of their animations being actually new from 2.0 onward (taters got a massive overhaul of things like their run cycle compared to 1.x). Dragon waifs are also up there, although they can sometimes be a little taciturn when they should be more expressive. Catgirls are odd - while their "original" animation set which was inherited/slightly modified from 1.x can be pretty generically cute and a bit boring, their more recent animations and whatnot are absolutely top-shelf. The power of /spectacles alone is ensuring I'm actually going to remain a goddamn catgirl for the foreseeable future, and 2013 me would have found that idea completely ludicrous.

edit: like, seriously:

Stills don't even begin to do it justice and I wish I wasn't so terminally loving bad at gifs. It's the exact attitude I've wanted out of my huge dork of a character all this time.

Bonus BLM sass, which is shared but also looks goddamn excellent:

My favourite catgirl emote is /doze because when she starts awake she makes the most adorable sound. :kimchi:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Why does elezen chat always happen when I'm at work and can't post pictures?

EDIT: Found one!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm playing on PS4 and I just realized there are additional crossbar options and holy poo poo this would've made the game so much easier from the start.

Any other tips for people using game pads on how to optimize gameplay? I'm a white mage so optimizing party play would be especially useful.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Wacky Delly posted:

Why does elezen chat always happen when I'm at work and can't post pictures?

EDIT: Found one!

What sword is that? Also, good Elezen!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leofish posted:

Did somebody say Elezen?

No one said anything about giraffes!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

My favourite catgirl emote is /doze because when she starts awake she makes the most adorable sound. :kimchi:

:yeah:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm playing on PS4 and I just realized there are additional crossbar options and holy poo poo this would've made the game so much easier from the start.

Any other tips for people using game pads on how to optimize gameplay? I'm a white mage so optimizing party play would be especially useful.

There is an option to lock certain cross hotbars based on whether your weapon is sheathed or not. I find it really useful for making sure I don't accidentally switch to my non-combat bars in the middle of a fight while also leaving them available when running between fights/ in towns.

Other basics include enabling L2+R2/R2+L2 function which you should hopefully already have done. It adds an extra 16 slots to your main hotbar and can be used no matter which bar you have active, similar to the W hotbars, and while it may sound like something really complicated, you will get used to it pretty quickly.

And while cross hotbars are really awesome, don't forget that horizontal/vertical keyboard bars still exist. You can have a couple of these on screen somewhere that contain your cooldown abilities so you can have a constant visual on which skills you have available and which ones are still on cooldown without having to edit your cross hotbars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Leofish posted:

What sword is that? Also, good Elezen!

Looks like the Halonic Inquisitor's Sword from the Vault.

• Locked thread