Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
its me im entitled to strangers tellin me stuff for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'll never actually understand "I'm not going to tell you poo poo, look it up yourself" mindset.

When it comes to online, public discussion and debate, feminism is in the same category as atheism, evolution, abortion, and climate change. There is almost no one discussing the issue in good faith, and telling someone to use google is the right call in 95+% of cases.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

That was a bit of s surreal thing to see her do. Good for her though. I still think Kyle Kulknski's theory about "libertarian leftism v. authoritarian leftism" is a very accurate portrayal of the two sides in a lot of ways. I think Laci could actually make feminism more powerful of an idea if she does grow for what it's worth.

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/865028511693774849

Why do these people think this way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNF0y1hhjzY

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

without knowing anything about feminism or prominent activists of that cause and just being a dude, it seems superficially to me that there is a strain of feminist that believes putting women in positions of power is the most important thing. putting women in positions of power is more important than the policies of these women in power. maybe the rationalization for lovely policies pushed by women is that a man would have done it anyways and a woman doing it is somehow an equalizing force? idk

of course, there is probably a sane strain of feminism that believes that the policies of those in power matters more than just their gender

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Byolante posted:

What poo poo. The russia stuff is hysteria

Is it bad form to mock posters itt?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

comedyblissoption posted:

without knowing anything about feminism or prominent activists of that cause and just being a dude, it seems superficially to me that there is a strain of feminist that believes putting women in positions of power is the most important thing. putting women in positions of power is more important than the policies of these women in power. maybe the rationalization for lovely policies pushed by women is that a man would have done it anyways and a woman doing it is somehow an equalizing force? idk

of course, there is probably a sane strain of feminism that believes that the policies of those in power matters more than just their gender

the sane strain of feminism, as in, the Good Kind of Feminism, wants what feminism should be: empowerment for women and equality between the genders in things more than just pay, but all social aspects of life

the insane strain of feminism, as in, the Kind That Makes You Go "Jesus Christ", is this weird revenge fantasy against men and the belief that every single man is nothing more than a rapist and can never be trusted

quote:

This also includes being mindful of your outward actions when women are near, even if you aren't associating with them IE if you're walking behind a woman on the street and you've been behind her for more than two or three blocks, either speed up and overtake her or cross the street, because to her, you are possibly shadowing her and that is threatening.

quote:

Stop normalizing men approaching random women anywhere & everywhere without those women's consent. Stay the whole gently caress out of women's faces. You don't understand how women can consent to you talking to them bc women never give their consent to YOU. Stay away from women.

"If men can't approach women unsolicited, men & women would never interact!" -only the men who have never actually been wanted by a woman.

it's weird because the woke version of feminism seems really loving demeaning towards women, like they're these fragile crystalline structures and if you look at them the wrong way they shatter into a million pieces and can't be put back together.

sword_man.gif has issued a correction as of 13:55 on May 18, 2017

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
as an aside this is probably one of the better examples i can give of why movements need leaders to say "this person is off message"

without someone to do that, opponents can say "see blm and the lgbt movement want us to embrace loving our family members!"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Relevant Tangent posted:

Is it bad form to mock posters itt?

Nahh, he is right. Always focusing on Russia allows Dems to not have actual position (position that would hurt the donor class) to win elections and continue to just be the "not Republican" party. The Russia stuff isn't good mind you but it shouldn't be Dems core position right now.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

BexGu posted:

Nahh, he is right. Always focusing on Russia allows Dems to not have actual position (position that would hurt the donor class) to win elections and continue to just be the "not Republican" party. The Russia stuff isn't good mind you but it shouldn't be Dems core position right now.

He's not right because he (and a few other posters) posted four days ago that the Russian stuff was fake fake fake and it's funny as hell how wrong that incisive commentary was. Like, if they want to just be Trump's fuckholes there are way better ways to do it than tripling down on "the Russian stuff isn't real guys seriously".

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

He's not right because he (and a few other posters) posted four days ago that the Russian stuff was fake fake fake and it's funny as hell how wrong that incisive commentary was. Like, if they want to just be Trump's fuckholes there are way better ways to do it than tripling down on "the Russian stuff isn't real guys seriously".

are you one of those weirdos who thinks this is the We Love Trump thread

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Also you'll get "I'm not hear to educate you" type stuff on Twitter because it's a bad format to explain things

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BexGu posted:

The Russia stuff is keeping the pressure on Trump and it looks like there's some serious poo poo that could actually gently caress him over. It's worth the congressional Dems focusing on because there's precious little else they can do in the minority.

It absolutely should not be a pillar of their election campaigning next year, however.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i dont think the russia thing will do poo poo for dems since part of trumps appeal to the people who voted for him is that he's honest about being a shithead whereas every other politician tries to come off as this person who's completely fake

and also "trump loves russia!!!!" isn't loving policy and tells me dick about how you intend to do anything to help the people

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Relevant Tangent posted:

Burning a mossad asset is typical trump level idiocy. It just happened in front of Russians this time instead of the Japanese prime minister, the Australian prime minister or some random dudes at mar a lago. Putting up red scare billboards about random reps instead of doing a full court press against the ahca is dumb red baiting.

To murder the iconic kanye quote trump has a dumb life and does dumb things.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Relevant Tangent posted:

After the "Russia piss tapes will drop at any min guys" along with "Russia hacked the election but we have no evidence" hysteria I have major Russia fatigue until something with more concrete information comes out. I really worry it will that will be Dem core campaign strategy for 2018 while not changing any other positions that let them get to this point.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was pretty big on the Russia stuff being just a distraction and an excuse for Democrats. But now that Trump literally did a Watergate about it, I think it's safe to say that yeah, the Russia stuff is actually a big deal.

Would I prefer it if Trump was being rejected in favor of a Democratic platform of universal healthcare and debt forgiveness and higher minimum wage? Yeah, absolutely. But that doesn't mean the Russia stuff isn't bad, or that Trump doesn't deserve to get impeached over it.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was pretty big on the Russia stuff being just a distraction and an excuse for Democrats. But now that Trump literally did a Watergate about it, I think it's safe to say that yeah, the Russia stuff is actually a big deal.

Would I prefer it if Trump was being rejected in favor of a Democratic platform of universal healthcare and debt forgiveness and higher minimum wage? Yeah, absolutely. But that doesn't mean the Russia stuff isn't bad, or that Trump doesn't deserve to get impeached over it.

by "literally did a watergate" i'm assuming you're referring to firing the fbi director, while discounting that hillary would have done the same thing over email investigations, and that the scenario at the time of nixon pulling it was vastly different than trump pulling it

it'll be really easy to quote this post and go "ha ha you like the pee man" but people need to keep a level, clear head about a way to move forward instead of masturbating themselves into hysterics because someone said russiagate

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Office Surprise Store posted:

are you one of those weirdos who thinks this is the We Love Trump thread

by "literally did a watergate" i'm assuming you're referring to firing the fbi director, while discounting that hillary would have done the same thing over email investigations, and that the scenario at the time of nixon pulling it was vastly different than trump pulling it

I'm a dude who thinks that posting these two things together is a sign of having lost the plot, yeah. I don't think you love Trump, I just think you're deranged.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

it'll be really easy to quote this post and go "ha ha you like the pee man" but people need to keep a level, clear head about a way to move forward instead of masturbating themselves into hysterics because someone said russiagate

Hillary might have tried to get rid of Comey, but there's no way she would have been as aggressively stupid about it as Trump. Her major strength was being able to play the bureaucratic game well, even if she couldn't campaign worth a poo poo.

You're waaay too far down the "yay nihilism everyone's the same poo poo lol nothing matters" wormhole.

tl;dr is you = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, but Hillary Clinton isn't president, we dodged that timeline, so talking about is pointless. Interfering with an FBI investigation into misconduct done by his campaign is doing a Watergate, because that's what got Nixon impeached. And yeah, Watergate 2 is different than Watergate because the sequel always has to be bigger and dumber. Watergate didn't involve links to a foreign government or all the congressional Republicans knowing about it.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
nixon also got impeached for firing a prosecutor, not an investigator, and had an opposite party senate lined up to rip out his throat

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

I just think you're deranged.

this is also true, but not for the reasons you think

that's just rude

sword_man.gif has issued a correction as of 14:54 on May 18, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

as an aside this is probably one of the better examples i can give of why movements need leaders to say "this person is off message"

without someone to do that, opponents can say "see blm and the lgbt movement want us to embrace loving our family members!"

There is zero chance that's not a 4chan troll, come on. The Twitter account had six tweets and they list their real name, where they work, and where they live?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

There is zero chance that's not a 4chan troll, come on. The Twitter account had six tweets and they list their real name, where they work, and where they live?

do you think the kind of people who rally against movements like the lgbt or blm care

that's the point of leadership in a movement, so you can declare your refined goals and can't get muddled in people who are sincere in pulling down your movement, and people who are trying to latch on for their personal poo poo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

just a reminder that so far there is literally zero evidence of collusion by trump with the russian government, people in the security community have come outright on media and said there is currently zero evidence, and there aren't even allegations on what concrete actions and wrongdoing trump did

this does not preclude there being wrongdoing, but so far there is no evidence to justify the russian hysteria overtaking the democratic party

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

do you think the kind of people who rally against movements like the lgbt or blm care

that's the point of leadership in a movement, so you can declare your refined goals and can't get muddled in people who are sincere in pulling down your movement, and people who are trying to latch on for their personal poo poo
a troll honeypot account followed by no one

im realy sorry you think this is meaningful or confusing

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think something is going on but Eric Garland is a moron and people jumping at red shadows suck

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Russia poo poo is a distraction until something concrete comes out. That's the whole problem, there's no evidence and a bunch of heresy from playing the Telephone game. the NYT can't produce a copy of the Comey memo because an anonymous source read it to a reporter over a cell phone. That's not enough to impeach someone on, impeachment is a legal proceeding that requires an airtight case and evidence.

The Russia thing may have legs but they need to find the loving legs first that doesn't consist of "Trump declassified intel to a US military ally" because that is how its being spun on the right wing. And the right wing's response has been "people who complain about this hate America and want ISIS to succeed and that's why they don't want Trump to share intel with our allies."

Do you see why this is a big problem? They could have done something with the story if the press didn't force Russia fatigue with Red Scare McCarthyite poo poo first but now its too late and a huge percentage of the population doesn't trust the press as a result, that credibility is gone forever.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

passionate dongs posted:

a troll honeypot account followed by no one

im realy sorry you think this is meaningful or confusing

it's an example and you're being really weirdly hostile

i'm not sure what's difficult to understand about "people can be shown things like this, and a good leadership lets you discredit this to prevent it from taking hold" but you seem kind of intent on just wanting to be passive/aggressive about it

i don't know if you're trying to GOTCHA me about racism or what. it's genuinely confusing.

sword_man.gif has issued a correction as of 16:12 on May 18, 2017

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

HIJK posted:

Do you see why this is a big problem? They could have done something with the story if the press didn't force Russia fatigue with Red Scare McCarthyite poo poo first

The Russia stuff is probably overplayed on its own merits, and inasmuch as Donald Trump is self-destructing over it, it's because he threw a d20 to see which subject he was gonna self-destruct on. But lol at comparing Russia coverage to the Red Scare or McCarthyism.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

it's an example and you're being really weirdly hostile

i'm not sure what's difficult to understand about "people can be shown things like this, and a good leadership lets you discredit this to prevent it from taking hold" but you seem kind of intent on just wanting to be passive/aggressive about it

i don't know if you're trying to GOTCHA me about racism or what. it's genuinely confusing.

a leader as a means of finding collective agreement and representation to achieve a well defined policy is an example as to why it is (debatably) useful

this is really and truly not a thing im sorry

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

passionate dongs posted:

a leader as a means of finding collective agreement and representation to achieve a well defined policy is an example as to why it is (debatably) useful

this is really and truly not a thing im sorry

well friend, you can keep your opinion and i'll keep mine. namaste.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

The Russia stuff is probably overplayed on its own merits, and inasmuch as Donald Trump is self-destructing over it, it's because he threw a d20 to see which subject he was gonna self-destruct on. But lol at comparing Russia coverage to the Red Scare or McCarthyism.

it's the same overblown poo poo, it's just not aimed at anyone who could suffer unduly. The McCarthy poo poo was heinous because of how it targeted specific people, now the media is trying to do it again but now its farcical because there's nothing to indicate we should take it seriously. Trump is at least a head of state so it's not like he's suffering excessively.

But this has the snowball effect that when something serious does happen, nothing comes of it because the media blew their credibility since they thought they could bring the 50s back. So yeah, it is McCarthyism in the sense its all a goddamn puppet show orchestrated to make one party look good, except now that party is the press.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

just a reminder that so far there is literally zero evidence of collusion by trump with the russian government, people in the security community have come outright on media and said there is currently zero evidence, and there aren't even allegations on what concrete actions and wrongdoing trump did

this does not preclude there being wrongdoing, but so far there is no evidence to justify the russian hysteria overtaking the democratic party

Well, Flynn just said that he won't honor Congress' subpoena for documents relating to the investigation. That seems pretty loving damning

There's something there, and the Trump Administration's actions to try to cover it up should be proof enough for anybody with a functioning brainstem to see it.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

what hysteria?

look, in the context of American politics, if you can push one of the buttons of the president from the opposing party, in such a way that he makes all these unforced errors, and you don't :f5: that poo poo, you're giving away a giant advantage for nothing.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

They mean acknowledging the Russian thing is real, that's what they mean by hysteria.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Russia stuff real and is bad. If the Democrats move into 2018 thinking they can ride a wave to victory by just saying that, then they're dumb. It's not cognitive dissonance to believe that.

BTW about the feminism stuff, I think a lot of it is fatigue from being besieged by the gamut of morons from open MRA chauvinists to bad faith concern trolls "just asking questions". But you know when I was first getting into this poo poo I encountered a lot of pushback, so I talked to people about it. Like privilege got a lot of "WHERE'S MY loving PORSCHE, THEN!?" responses, but explaining what it means and comparing it to something they could understand (I used religion a lot - most people realize that Christianity is seen as the "default" religious stance in America) really got them to understand. But back then there were a lot less trolling morons, so it was easier to not be so combative. I still think it's worth actually talking to people but like I think Laci Green doing poo poo like inviting Paul Watson Joseph on her show or some stupid poo poo like that is braindead.

Oh and a lot of it too is using academic language and just expecting the general populace to accept it, and getting irate when there's confusion or mockery. Sometimes things have to be broken down into buzzwords and slogans for the masses if you want political victories.

Lightning Lord has issued a correction as of 17:40 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Russia stuff real and is bad. If the Democrats move into 2018 thinking they can ride a wave to victory by just saying that, then they're dumb. It's not cognitive dissonance to believe that.

• Locked thread