Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

nimper posted:

Samsung has been poorly duplicating Google features for years. Nobody's losing sleep here.

They've also been improving on them but that's got nothing to do with my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Is Apple Honda or the domestic car here? I've gone from a Nexus 6P to an iPhone and I can't say the experience on the iOS side is better. Hardware is for sure but iOS itself is clunky as hell, and the supposed app advantage appears to be largely imaginary.

As an aside modern Hondas with the touchscreen audio are a UI disaster

Please don't drag me kicking and screaming into two years ago. Apple is the good phone maker with what is now a clunky UI I guess, Honda makes a car that works as a car, when they aren't overthinking it.

Samsung is idiots. Google are watching and laughing and picking up Bixby now? Picking up in order to drop. All very confusing. :corsair:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Jerk McJerkface posted:

iPad with Pencil
Smaller iPad with Pencil
People recording music with iPad with Pencil

I own Smaller iPad with Pencil. I like it because I can leave it alone for four days and still have 70% battery, my Nexus 10 (which you'd call, "iPad gen4 except it cost $400 in 2013") could never do that.

It didn't have to be revolutionary for me to buy one.

nimper posted:

Samsung has been poorly duplicating Google features for years. Nobody's losing sleep here.

Samsung is also the only one with a decent browser that lets you block ads.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 18, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

I own Smaller iPad with Pencil. I like it because I can leave it alone for four days and still have 70% battery, my Nexus 10 (which you'd call, "iPad gen4 except it cost $400 in 2013") could never do that.

It didn't have to be revolutionary for me to buy one.

Funny how that happens.

My first gen mini still has great battery life.

When I first got it I was thinking replacing the battery is gonna suck considering how much fun taking an ipod apart is and then welp. The stupid thing is still running.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

If you ignore all the third party ones that do it better, sure.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

It might let you block ads but it's not a decent browser.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The one on the S8 is actually pretty good.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Asking since I don't remember from my Moto G 2014: is there supposed to be a "break-in" period on new IPS phone displays? The display on my Moto G5 Plus looks like it has a slower response time than the old Moto G I'm coming from and so moving things look kind of like they're blurring/smearing. If that doesn't go away with more use, that'll be kind of disappointing considering how everything else is better.

e: I'm likely going to have to keep and get used to it regardless, I just don't remember if these things are supposed to improve within however many hours of use or anything.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 18, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taffer posted:

If you ignore all the third party ones that do it better, sure.
Adblock and Ghostery browsers are based on Firefox, and therefore have all the lovely scrolling and UI of Firefox. I could never get Brave to run well on my (admittedly old) hardware. The one on the Tab S2 10" I used seemed fine, and supposedly it's gotten even better since then.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

The one on the S8 is actually pretty good.

I immediately disabled it for Chrome :shrug:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The gradients on those new emoji are loving awful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grog posted:

Asking since I don't remember from my Moto G 2014: is there supposed to be a "break-in" period on new IPS phone displays? The display on my Moto G5 Plus looks like it has a slower response time than the old Moto G I'm coming from and so moving things look kind of like they're blurring/smearing. If that doesn't go away with more use, that'll be kind of disappointing considering how everything else is better.

e: I'm likely going to have to keep and get used to it regardless, I just don't remember if these things are supposed to improve within however many hours of use or anything.

Do you have a battery saver/stretch mode on?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

God dammit Google. You can take my blob emojis when I need to upgrade from my cold, dead phone! 😠

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

XIII posted:

poo poo, sorry, I meant to say, "in Android O." I'm trying out the new Dev Preview.

(I know, I know, no complaining about beta software. Just saying it seems like a dumb change)
Working stable for you? How's battery life? Even if this is a dev preview, given that they're boasting with this ~*~VITAL~*~ stuff, you'd think it'd be in a somewhat functional state.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is wrong. I prefer Chrome, but Samsung Internet is pretty good.

For ad blocking across the whole system, adhell (uses Samsung Knox) is pretty great: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.getadhell.androidapp&hl=en

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

Samsung Internet

Now there's a chilling thought.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

XIII posted:

poo poo, sorry, I meant to say, "in Android O." I'm trying out the new Dev Preview.

(I know, I know, no complaining about beta software. Just saying it seems like a dumb change)

There's a few other things that bug me in O: Android Pay doesn't work, plus all sorts of poo poo on the status bar like the huge space taken up by the LTE text and the greyed out wifi icon when it's off (instead of having it disappear). I use the gently caress out of Android Pay though :sigh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

It's actually quite toasty.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

This is how good Samsung is at naming apps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYhrs0ZInLw

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
As I look at comparisons between my old phone (S6) and the Pixel that I'm about to get in an hour, I'm surprised there are downgrades...things like resolution, screensize, even camera quality. What the hell?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Morter posted:

As I look at comparisons between my old phone (S6) and the Pixel that I'm about to get in an hour, I'm surprised there are downgrades...things like resolution, screensize, even camera quality. What the hell?

Pixel is superior to the S6 in every conceivable way. What the hell?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Well except the ones I just mentioned.

I'm not complaining though, I'm just surprised.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Morter posted:

Well except the ones I just mentioned.

I'm not complaining though, I'm just surprised.

Pixel is more than what the spec sheets tell you. Seriously, wait until it's in your hands to judge it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Fair enough. Will update in a bit, I suppose :o:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even the brand new S8 doesn't top the Pixel's camera, let alone the S6.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Morter posted:

Screensize isn't a better<>worse thing. Resolution is related to screensize. By every report the camera on the Pixel is superior to the S6 and by many reports the Pixel is the best smartphone camera out there.

In other news...new Pixel launcher seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDeKv5RlCt0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsRVrsauPf8

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
If the screen size and resolution are that important, there's always the XL. The MP on the camera is a complete non-issue; the Pixel will take much better pictures than the S6.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Screensize isn't a better<>worse thing. Resolution is related to screensize. By every report the camera on the Pixel is superior to the S6 and by many reports the Pixel is the best smartphone camera out there.

In other news...new Pixel launcher seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDeKv5RlCt0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsRVrsauPf8

If they took away both the good emoji and the weather frog I swear to god I will have a loving meltdown.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Morter posted:

Fair enough. Will update in a bit, I suppose :o:

Buying a new phone and losing the IR blaster, heart rate and blood oxygenation monitor, 16 MP camera, and Exynos octacore cpu?? Nice "upgrade"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Morter posted:

You intentionally chose a smaller phone so your complaint about screen size and resolution are moot, you could have gotten the XL instead. As for camera, lmao no, the Pixel camera is way better than the S6. I sure hope you're not making the rookie mistake of solely comparing number of megapixels.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Admittedly, I am a rookie :shobon:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I immediately disabled it for Chrome :shrug:

Doesn't mean it's not a decent browser

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

Doesn't mean it's not a decent browser

Okay I'll be clearer, I disabled it because I didn't think it was good at all. Obviously there are differing opinions on this which is surprising to me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

there are differing opinions on this which is surprising to me.

New thread title please.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I debated putting this here or in the app thread, but I'll put it here since an app is just part of it...

I've been using a VPN on my phone for a month or so now. I've always meant to get around to it and the recent brouhaha about VPNs got me to get around to doing it.

The main problem with most of your options for a VPN is that you basically just have to accept the word of whatever company you're paying for VPN service that they're doing The Right Thing. I never liked that, but I also never liked the idea of having to figure out how to set up my own VPN and being confident that I did it correctly and securely.

Enter algo. If you're a even just barely a technical person you can figure out how to run this script which sets up your own VPN for you on a cloud server at the provider of your choice and then gives you the instructions to set it up on your phone. After that all your traffic is encrypted between your phone and your cloud server before heading out to the wide internet. Also (optionally) blocks ads.

At a high level it works like this:

1. You set up an account at one of DigitalOcean, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, or your own server.
2. You run the script.
3. The script uses your account credentials to create a new server at one of the above services.
4. The script logs in to the new server and installs and configures the VPN software.
5. You install the VPN app on your phone.
6. ...
7. Profit.

Anyway, I guess consider this a recommendation for algo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cage-free egghead posted:

New thread title please.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I debated putting this here or in the app thread, but I'll put it here since an app is just part of it...

I've been using a VPN on my phone for a month or so now. I've always meant to get around to it and the recent brouhaha about VPNs got me to get around to doing it.

The main problem with most of your options for a VPN is that you basically just have to accept the word of whatever company you're paying for VPN service that they're doing The Right Thing. I never liked that, but I also never liked the idea of having to figure out how to set up my own VPN and being confident that I did it correctly and securely.

Enter algo. If you're a even just barely a technical person you can figure out how to run this script which sets up your own VPN for you on a cloud server at the provider of your choice and then gives you the instructions to set it up on your phone. After that all your traffic is encrypted between your phone and your cloud server before heading out to the wide internet. Also (optionally) blocks ads.

At a high level it works like this:

1. You set up an account at one of DigitalOcean, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, or your own server.
2. You run the script.
3. The script uses your account credentials to create a new server at one of the above services.
4. The script logs in to the new server and installs and configures the VPN software.
5. You install the VPN app on your phone.
6. ...
7. Profit.

Anyway, I guess consider this a recommendation for algo.

Here is my low level take. There are several "VPNs" you can install on your droid phone and they aren't actual VPNs and the devs will tell you as much.

Uh so, do you mean an actual VPN because that'd involve your home server or something, right?

Not portable, if you leave the house I mean.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Working stable for you? How's battery life? Even if this is a dev preview, given that they're boasting with this ~*~VITAL~*~ stuff, you'd think it'd be in a somewhat functional state.

Yeah, been running it since about an hour after it was announced and it's been great in terms of stability. Zero app crashes or anything of that nature. Battery life seems to be improved over Nougat. The only "complaints" I really have are mostly just me shaking my fist at things for being different, but knowing I'll adjust to. The new status icons and layout annoy me, but I'm sure I'll just stop noticing them within a few days (and they could easily change by the time the final release comes around). I preferred the dark notification tray, but I tend to prefer dark themes in general.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

syscall girl posted:

Uh so, do you mean an actual VPN because that'd involve your home server or something, right?

No a VPN doesn't require a home server or have anything to do with portability. In the context of this discussion a VPN is a setup that encrypts all traffic between your phone and a server somewhere then the server acts on your behalf and your network requests go from there to whatever site you're trying to visit or whatever the network traffic is supposed to be for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Here is my low level take. There are several "VPNs" you can install on your droid phone and they aren't actual VPNs and the devs will tell you as much.

Not portable, if you leave the house I mean.

Those directions are for setting up a VPN service at Amazon/MS/DigitalOcean that you control access to and pay for. The base tier at DigitalOcean is $5/month. Algo gives you the vpn config file for setting up your phone to connect through the VPN you just set up.

I was actually looking at that a few hours ago, and it looks pretty straightforward. My question after basic searching was "how easy is it to change the hosts file on the VPN server to have it function as an adblock"? I didn't get there yet, so if someone's familiar, please chime in. :)