Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My state passed a law stating that businesses do not have to make allowances for "emotional support animals", only trained service dogs. It contains a notable exception:

RCW 49.60.218 posted:

(2) A food establishment shall make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures to permit the use of a miniature horse by an individual with a disability in accordance with subsection (1) of this section if the miniature horse has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of the individual with a disability. In determining whether reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures can be made to allow a miniature horse into a facility, a food establishment shall act in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.

If you are both disabled and BWM, Washington is the state for you. The catch is that most cities prohibit miniature horses on lots smaller than 10,000 square feet so I've never had the pleasure of seeing somebody walk into a restaurant alongside a service horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

lavaca posted:

My state passed a law stating that businesses do not have to make allowances for "emotional support animals", only trained service dogs. It contains a notable exception:

If you are both disabled and BWM, Washington is the state for you. The catch is that most cities prohibit miniature horses on lots smaller than 10,000 square feet so I've never had the pleasure of seeing somebody walk into a restaurant alongside a service horse.

That's only a quarter acre-ish.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Yeah, an acre is 43,560 square feet, or by PLSS definitions, 10 square chains. Or 1/640 square miles, because the was once some logic to the customary system.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

this whole thread is all bird, all the time

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Bull loving poo poo. We are talking about the financial and logistical feasibility of owning an emotional support miniture horse in the close in suburbs of Seattle. Please tell me how that is not Bad with money content.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Let's get back on/off topic.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

lavaca posted:

Let's get back on/off topic.

Poor bird. Its whole existence is a lie.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
jesus gently caress imagine that fucker on a plane going off non stop while you're trying to sleep.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

jesus gently caress imagine that fucker on a plane going off non stop while you're trying to sleep.

Imagine being seated next to an emotional support turkey: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/01/15/turkey-delta-airlines-emotional-support-animal_n_8995458.html

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm torn on whether I should post this here, because normally it would be BWM, but it's "ok" in the sense that they can afford it. But I will since it checks off a lot of the boxes in this thread.

Not only does my mom:
[X] Use and push essential oils on everyone for everyfuckingthing,
[X] she has a horse,
[X] which has cancer, but
[X] she won't send him to the glue factory
[X] despite not being able to ride him anymore (she can basically only feed and brush him),

But she also:
[X] uses essential oils on her horse.

The whole thing is really loving :psyboom:, but my parents are retired and set financially, so I can't really call it BWM, but it would be just about any other time.

Like, it's really hard to talk to her at times, because she turns everything around to essential oils. I mentioned to her that I may have tennis elbow or some kind of tendinitis, which may require surgery. Her suggestion was, of course, essential oils, because there is a "anti-inflammatory" oil. My old man just rolls his eyes whenever she mentions them,.

Are you sure you're not intentionally conflating essential oils with linament to make a more interesting post?

bigeloil is just water soluble ben-gay type stuff for horses. You can use it on yourself too, it's wonderful for sore feet after long runs.

Also, just because a horse is no longer rideable doesn't mean it's meant for the glue factory. Retiring a horse as a pasture ornament is like giving a person a retirement. It's served you well for years, let it just be a pasture critter. Now, if the cancer leaves the animal in considerable pain, euthanasia is always an option, and your mom may have trouble letting go. It's hard for me to understand sometimes, but people get very attached to their horses.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 18, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Can I get my kids designated as Emotional Support Animals so that I don't have to buy a seat for them and they can just lay on the floor by the seats or something? That's where they end up most of the time anyway.

They're smaller than a miniature horse.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

lavaca posted:

that's great to hear that some places are fighting back against general abuse of the legal murk around "emotional support animals". I bet restaurant owners and landlords will be glad to finally have some legal backing.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

When I used to work in a grocery store I was always told that if someone said their animal was a support animal, we weren't permitted to ask for proof because that would be an ADA violation or something, so if they said it was a support animal, it was free to go around the store with them. More than one scared little dog took a poo poo all over our floor.

Then again I recently learned that its never been a "health violation" to be barefoot in a grocery store either, and I was always told that as well, so I don't know what's true except that US law is confusing and stupid.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If you've ever been around a real service dog it's infuriating to see the fake ones. My cousin is a dwarf and has epilepsy and the dog helps her get around, gets items for her, alerts her parents prior to a seizure that one is coming, all sorts of stuff. and while he's working he completely ignores everyone else and has a big sign on his jacket saying not to pet him. The second the jacket comes off and he's on break he's a happy friendly dog, and the demeanor switches instantly when he gets back to work.

Then you see all the fake ones being hauled around and it's a total insult

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Then again I recently learned that its never been a "health violation" to be barefoot in a grocery store either, and I was always told that as well, so I don't know what's true except that US law is confusing and stupid.

When grocery shopping with my wife, I've been asked every now and then for my wife's ID even after providing my own to buy alcohol. They claim that state law requires it (it doesn't). BWM by trying to curtail sales of alcohol through ignorance of the law.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

LLCoolJD posted:

When grocery shopping with my wife, I've been asked every now and then for my wife's ID even after providing my own to buy alcohol. They claim that state law requires it (it doesn't). BWM by trying to curtail sales of alcohol through ignorance of the law.

When I worked at a grocer in Nebraska we were always told we had to ID anyone who touched or talked about the alcohol being bought. Always was curious if that was actually the law or just a CYA type of thing.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Noctone posted:

When I worked at a grocer in Nebraska we were always told we had to ID anyone who touched or talked about the alcohol being bought. Always was curious if that was actually the law or just a CYA type of thing.

That'll be a state-by-state thing. Plus, the store may enforce its own additional sales policies.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Could be an insurance thing too.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Noctone posted:

The law doesn't say you have to ID all members of the party around here, but we've also decided it's cool to hold the cashier liable should the ID'd actual purchaser provide alcohol to minors, so you pretty much have a duty to do all these things to CYA.

BWM: having to be an expert on every state's ID and figure out who the alcohol is really for at risk of huge personal liability while performing for your employer and making $10.50/hr

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
You can't sell alcohol to someone legal age if you feel that they're going to be distributing it to a minor, this combined with corporate paranoia means sometimes policy is just to card everyone just to make sure some mindless drone doesn't get your company in hot water.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/07/19/frequent_flier_miles_scam_how_i_lost_1_350_by_falling_for_the_same_internet.html

BWM twice in the same week.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A dude on reddit got burned through a different flight scam.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6bp4oa/bought_sketchy_flight_ticket_collections_calling/

Bought sketchy flight ticket, collections calling (self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 day ago * by bigbiker2016

quote:

I bought a flight ticket some months ago from a sketchy person promising me that he can get me the ticket on a discount. I took the flight and everything went well. Then I got a call yesterday from a collection agency claiming that they are investigating a credit card fraud and want to confirm if I boarded the flight. The amount they claim is $8k and want me to provje that I didn't board the flight.
What are my options here? Can I go to jail for unknowingly commiting credit card fraud? Should I talk to the collection agency and accept that I boarded the flight and am ready to pay whatever for not getting police involved? Please help! My questions are:
Should I talk to the collection agency at all?
I did pay for the flight to the agent who booked the ticket, but it seems he was a fraud. Should I agree to pay collections as well?
Can the collection agency notify police if I don't pay or talk to them?
Update: Location is Virginia

The theory is that the scammed dude bought a flight in buttcoins from someone online. That someone online was using a stolen credit card, and the charges got reversed and the airline is now investigating the passenger as their only lead in the fraud case.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BloodBag posted:

Are you sure you're not intentionally conflating essential oils with linament to make a more interesting post?

bigeloil is just water soluble ben-gay type stuff for horses. You can use it on yourself too, it's wonderful for sore feet after long runs.

No she's definitely using the stupid overpriced human essential oils on her horse.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

canyoneer posted:

A dude on reddit got burned through a different flight scam.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6bp4oa/bought_sketchy_flight_ticket_collections_calling/

Bought sketchy flight ticket, collections calling (self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 day ago * by bigbiker2016

The theory is that the scammed dude bought a flight in buttcoins from someone online. That someone online was using a stolen credit card, and the charges got reversed and the airline is now investigating the passenger as their only lead in the fraud case.

Would he actually be in trouble though? . If buying ticket was not illegal, and he didn't have a reason to suspect it was the result of a crime, he should be ok.
The fact that he called him sketchy does make me suspect he was well aware of the fact this might be a criminal enterprise ad just got greedy.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

quote:

Because he was abroad, and because his PayPal account was still out of commission, he suggested that I use Western Union to send him the money in care of his assistant. This seemed reasonable enough to me. (As everyone knows, airline pilots often have personal assistants.) So I sent the money and waited for the tickets. And waited. And waited. And waited.

Jesus Christ what a dumbass

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

Would he actually be in trouble though? . If buying ticket was not illegal, and he didn't have a reason to suspect it was the result of a crime, he should be ok.
The fact that he called him sketchy does make me suspect he was well aware of the fact this might be a criminal enterprise ad just got greedy.

It depends. If he got a really expensive business/first class international ticket that would normally cost thousands of dollars for a couple hundred bucks, I don't he can really claim that he was acting in good faith. If it was a $600 domestic coach ticket that he paid someone $300 for because they had a flight voucher that was about to expire, that's more believable.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's going to be some unwelcome attention.

"No officer, it wasn't me who stole the credit card. I used bitcoins to pay someone named dicksniper420 that I found on a messageboard for the flight"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Can I get my kids designated as Emotional Support Animals so that I don't have to buy a seat for them and they can just lay on the floor by the seats or something? That's where they end up most of the time anyway.

They're smaller than a miniature horse.

I'd think you'd still have to get the turkey a ticket, planes are always stuffed so the airlines would definitely bawk at free tickets gobbling up all their supply and you'd get roasted by the other passengers if they found out.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
GWM: Your dad winning the lottery and giving you more than a million dollars

BWM: Spending all of the money and then suing for more

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/18/lottery-millionaires-son-spent-16m-then-sued-his-father-for-more-cash?CMP=twt_gu

quote:

A man who was given nearly £1.6m by his father after he won £101m in the Euromillions has had his claim for more cash thrown out by a judge.

Michael Dawes, 32, took his father, Dave, and stepmother Angie to court after they stopped giving him more money. He claimed the couple had promised to ensure he and his partner, James Beedle, 34, would never have to worry about money again.

The central London county court heard that they had been given more than £1.5m in the two years following the lottery win in 2011, but two years later most of the cash had been spent.

Michael Dawes has not spoken to his father and stepmother since a falling out at her birthday party when he demanded £5m more and verbally abused Angie Dawes. He has also accused them of being arrogant and ungenerous of spirit.

Michael Dawes told the court: “I saw how over time their attitude changed from being relatively humble to being rather grand. They expected the people around them to treat them differently because of their money.”

The couple’s QC, Richard Wilson, said they had shared their good fortune with their family, giving away some £30m to relatives and close friends, as well as setting up a charity.

The judge concluded: “Michael was provided with the funds to have a comfortable life, but for his own reasons he chose not to take that opportunity. I therefore dismiss the claim.”

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Uterine Lineup posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/18/lottery-millionaires-son-spent-16m-then-sued-his-father-for-more-cash?CMP=twt_gu

BWM and BWL, the Reeses of assholes right there.

Quick napkin math tells me if he had invested that in a safe index starting in 2011 and just lived off the interest he'd be pulling in 80-90k pounds a year today for doing absolutely nothing while still allowing the principle to grow. Depending on how long it took for them to give the full amount. What an incredible dipshit. The suit just proves karma is a thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ixian posted:

principle

I don't think he had enough principles to live on.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The judge threw it out, so it looks like they'll all be saving money on legal fees.

Also, thank you, the principal/principle distinction is missed a lot even in professional contexts.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
On that note it's "balk" and not "bawk." One of the many lessons baseball has taught me. :pseudo:

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Uterine Lineup posted:

"He has also accused them of being arrogant and ungenerous of spirit."

:signings:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

On that note it's "balk" and not "bawk." One of the many lessons baseball has taught me. :pseudo:

*woosh*

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Puns are BWL :colbert:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Nope.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

crimedog posted:

"He has also accused them of being arrogant and ungenerous of spirit."

:signings:

Too bad there doesn't seem to be any details on how all that money was blown. I bet it mostly went on partying. Or it could be like the Deputy Commissioner of the ATO's son. There was only $1m AUD in cash in a safe deposit box, nothing suspicious there.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/ato-deputy-commissioner-michael-cranston-to-be-charged-over-tax-fraud-20170517-gw7gf2.html

quote:

Among the items seized under proceeds of crime were 25 motor vehicles, including luxury cars and racing cars, 12 motorbikes, 18 residential properties, two aircraft, $1 million from a safe deposit box, firearms, jewellery, bottles of Grange wine and artworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

To be fair I mentioned the turkey story and my stupid turkey puns to my wife and she just said "turkeys don't bawk that makes no drat sense :colbert:"