Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Lets just strap him to that machine from hell in that one Simpsons episode for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Kelce is as athletic as his brother and in any eagles runningback highlight since he's been drafted you will see Kelce pancaking someone on the first or second level.

At first I read that as "Kelce is as athletic as a brother".

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

At first I read that as "Kelce is as athletic as a brother".

What am I, the head writer of Bruins Beat?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I mean, he's got Run Away From the Cops Speed

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Some good videos in this article from last season about how Jason Kelce stinks:

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/09/23/jason-kelce-philadelphia-eagles-2016-bad/

Don't miss the Bears roller skates video.

Some choice quotes from former Eagles offensive lineman Barrett Brooks:

quote:

“He’s just too little,” Brooks said. “Kelce tried to jump hook him. When you jump hook somebody, you try to get outside, but the guy caught him in the air and pushed him back. You’re not as strong going sideways as opposed to going straight up, but Kelce isn’t strong period. That’s the problem.”

quote:

“He’s not big enough, and he doesn’t use leverage. He’s a small guy and he doesn’t use leverage! He doesn’t use a lot of knee bend. It’s almost like wrestling or karate, you can move somebody bigger than you if you get up under them and have leverage, but he doesn’t use a lot of angles.”

quote:

“He just got his rear end kicked,” Brooks said. “The dude swiped his hands and turned him because he was playing straight-legged. He wasn’t playing with a base, so he slapped his hands down and went around him. He beat him so quick he had to hold him.”

quote:

“He doesn’t play with leverage. When you play against bigger people, you have to play lower than that so you can move them around. He doesn’t play with knee bend or leverage, and he’s not strong.”

tl;dr: Jason Kelce is poo poo.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

quote:

Football Outsiders has the Eagles ranked 8th in pass blocking and 15th in run blocking. PFF has handed out above average grades to every offensive lineman save for Jason Kelce:

Peters: 84.7 (above average)
Barbre: 82.8 (above average)
Kelce: 60.2 (below average)
Brooks: 84.8 (above average)
Johnson: 87.2 (high quality)

https://eaglesrewind.com/2016/12/14/offensive-line-is-a-massive-priority-for-the-eagles/

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
lol this is a lot of effort to make the case that it's worth it to trade your starting center for Mark Ingram

it's still not btw

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol this is a lot of effort to make the case that it's worth it to trade your starting center for Mark Ingram

it's still not btw

I agree because I wouldn't want to take on Ingram's salary. I'd rather they get a late round draft pick for him but if that is not possible he's only 1.2 million in dead money as a post June 1st cut.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
btw: this was in the original 2017 season plan put out in Jan 2016

https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/824628582362284036

I wouldn't expect you to follow the minutiae of Eagles roster decisions any more than I follow those of the Cowboys. But if I was calling out the Cowboys for the release of a player and numerous Cowboys fans told me, "actually he hasn't played well in a number of years and the Cowboys already have his replacement and they want to get rid of him but would like to work a trade to avoid a dead money hit" I think I'd probably say "oh" rather than argue about it. I guess you think you're trolling me, but it should be pretty obvious by now that I have an almost obsessive interest in this poo poo and could post about it all day long.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I remember arguing with doltos about how poo poo football outsiders' pass blocking metrics were last season, possibly in this very thread, because their methods are so poo poo that they said the giants had a better offensive line than the packers.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I just looked at it right now and the giants finished the year with the second best pass blocking offensive line according to fo. The giants. Second best pass blocking line in football.

As someone who rails against pff constantly on this site, this one metric may be so bad and inaccurate that it lowers football outsiders to be even worse than them.

Please do not cite football outsiders stats.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Iodised QQ posted:

I remember arguing with doltos about how poo poo football outsiders' pass blocking metrics were last season, possibly in this very thread, because their methods are so poo poo that they said the giants had a better offensive line than the packers.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I just looked at it right now and the giants finished the year with the second best pass blocking offensive line according to fo. The giants. Second best pass blocking line in football.

As someone who rails against pff constantly on this site, this one metric may be so bad and inaccurate that it lowers football outsiders to be even worse than them.

Please do not cite football outsiders stats.

Yeah, I concur. I grabbed that part of the quote inadvertently when I copied the PFF individual grades.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
So if Prescott gets injured in a game, can Romo un-retire at half time?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I'm pretty sure Jason Garrett hasn't had back to back winning seasons as a head coach yet. Honestly, I'm not expecting that to change this year. I expect a subpar year from Dak, and in general a bad showing from a defense that finds a way to get worse. This is my Cowboys prediction, it would be nice to be wrong.

I also expect the Eagles, with their fancy new wide receivers, will win the division.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

So I'm pretty sure Jason Garrett hasn't had back to back winning seasons as a head coach yet. Honestly, I'm not expecting that to change this year. I expect a subpar year from Dak, and in general a bad showing from a defense that finds a way to get worse. This is my Cowboys prediction, it would be nice to be wrong.

I also expect the Eagles, with their fancy new wide receivers, will win the division.

How will a bad defense find a way to be worse? I've seen this argument from people who seem to be mad that they moved on from average to bad players and went with young and unknown players.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh nonono, shouldn't be paying good money to average players. In the long run, I feel good about the Cowboys future. They have to wiggle out a little further to remove themselves from cap hell, and they have young talent in some key positions that should improve in the next few seasons.

I'm just a little frustrated short term, since it seems impossible that Dak won't regress a little bit, and even if these young defensemen deliver I don't think there's a ton of depth in case of injury.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2017/four-downs-nfc-east-0

Shinjobi posted:

I expect some regression from Dak but I think coming in with fewer than 8 wins is also unlikely. I think we fall somewhere around 9-7 or 10-6.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
We got our big back !

https://twitter.com/Eagles/status/864852714181840896

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This is cool.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Eagles had red zone problems.

So they signed Alshon and Blount.

:getin:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So we have a running game....nice

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This just seems very :geno: to me. I have no strong opinions but given the Eagles did something by my unflinching homerism it must be A Good Thing

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Last year's starting lineup:

quote:

QB: Carson Wentz

WR: Nelson Agholor
WR: Jordan Matthews
WR: Dorial Green-Beckham

RB: Ryan Mathews (half the year if not less)
RB: Darren Sproles

TE: Zach Ertz
TE: Brent Celek

Backups:
WR Bryce Treggs, WR Paul Turner, RB Wendell Smallwood

This year's supposed starting lineup:

quote:

QB: Carson Wentz

WR: Alshon Jeffrey
WR: Jordan Matthews
WR: Torrey Smith

RB: LeGarrette Blount (2016's TD leader)
RB: Darren Sproles

TE: Zach Ertz
TE: Brent Celek

Backups:
WR Mack Collins, WR Shelton Gibson, RB Donnell Pumphrey (college's leading rusher), RB Wendell Smallwood

Not perfect. But that's a pretty, pretttttttttty solid 1 year turn around :getin:

89 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 17, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Let's see if alshon can play 12+ games.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

Let's see if alshon can play 12+ games.

If he can play 10 it will still markedly improve our offense. Plus, Torrey is better than any of the bums we had last year too, probably.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
(college's leading rusher)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Am I the only one who's not expecting much out of Blount ? He's just hit 30 as a smashy smashy style of runner and his ypc took a hit last year. I guess he's fine as a short yardage back but I'm not expecting him to singlehandedly change Eagles running game.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

Am I the only one who's not expecting much out of Blount ? He's just hit 30 as a smashy smashy style of runner and his ypc took a hit last year. I guess he's fine as a short yardage back but I'm not expecting him to singlehandedly change Eagles running game.

If he gets 1000 yards and 8 TD's I'll be ecstatic for what he's getting paid.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Looks to me like the Eagles are forming a real DREAM TEAM on offense :smuggo:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Looks like the Cowboys still haven't looked up the word "defense"

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I have high hopes for Mack Collins, but even higher hopes for his football playing twin brother, Mack Hollins

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

Diqnol posted:

Looks like the Cowboys still haven't looked up the word "defense"

There is no need, there will never be any need. First round playoff exits keep the world turning for NFC East teams

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

ACTUALLY the all rookie secondary will gel quickly and Nolan Carroll will enjoy a career resurgence and Jaylon Smith will wiggle his toes into the opponent's backfield all year long. Taco and David Irving will intimidate offensive lines with sheer arm length and Jeff Heath will be a pro bowl safety. The offensive line will take no hit with Doug Free retiring and Ron Leary leaving because La'el Collins will be the best right tackle in the league and Jonathan Cooper was a first round pick once. Dak will continue to improve and Dez will manage to stay healthy all year. Rico Gathers will become a dominant tight end receiving force because he played basketball. Ezekiel Elliot will help them keep the ball 40 minutes a game and keep the defense fresh and we'll ride all the way to a dominant super bowl BIIITCH

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Quiet Feet posted:

I agree. They needed a short yardage back so they got a temporary solution.

I hope he doesn't get a ton of carries because that will mean they don't trust Pumphrey and Smallwood, but it's nice to have the security if those guys don't perform well.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Tom Sellout posted:

ACTUALLY the all rookie secondary will gel quickly and Nolan Carroll will enjoy a career resurgence and Jaylon Smith will wiggle his toes into the opponent's backfield all year long. Taco and David Irving will intimidate offensive lines with sheer arm length and Jeff Heath will be a pro bowl safety. The offensive line will take no hit with Doug Free retiring and Ron Leary leaving because La'el Collins will be the best right tackle in the league and Jonathan Cooper was a first round pick once. Dak will continue to improve and Dez will manage to stay healthy all year. Rico Gathers will become a dominant tight end receiving force because he played basketball. Ezekiel Elliot will help them keep the ball 40 minutes a game and keep the defense fresh and we'll ride all the way to a dominant super bowl BIIITCH

Nolan Carroll isn't as bad as some Eagles fans make him out to be. He's ok.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
He's still technically on the team, but goodbye to Ryan Mathews a truly great running back who just couldn't stay healthy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBuerBqBeu8&t=15s

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/864872379712815105

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Tom Sellout posted:

Oh, word?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Eagles fans: Why is nobody talking about Timmy Jernigan? I don't understand why he's being ignored. Everyone is happy to talk about Long but one of the best run stopping DTs in the league we have for a one year rental should merit some consideration. Our line is gonna be good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Diqnol posted:

Eagles fans: Why is nobody talking about Timmy Jernigan? I don't understand why he's being ignored. Everyone is happy to talk about Long but one of the best run stopping DTs in the league we have for a one year rental should merit some consideration. Our line is gonna be good.

Jernigan is mentioned a lot on eagles boards and pods in my experience .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Blount is a ridiculous beast of a back and I'm pretty sure he's coming off of a super bowl and the best season in his career. If you're an eagles fan and anything less than thrilled with this you're an idiot.

• Locked thread