Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Oh man is the 6 lpl mauler deathstar at all viable

Probably not because of mobility. Go with battle masters.

Mobility is going to be one of the more important stats now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Maybe a banshee with 6 lpl then. I have to put them on something

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Was playing around with the skill trees yesterday. Kinda unfortunate that you have to spread points around firepower tree too much splitting a mech between lasers and ballistic or lasers and missiles. 4SP seems pretty dangerous with the survivability perks, and srm6s are basically pinpoint with Artemis at max range. A1s might be entertaining again with enough mobility perks.

Cataphracts can fit as much or more armor than a stalker before perks, but I don't know if that was changed before or after the patch... I kept wondering why all my other heavies looked squishy after remastering the 3D and Ilya.

New players are getting hosed even more than usual, but with 1600+ historicalXP it means I can try some new robots without needing to buy two useless variants which is nice.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 17, 2017

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My AC/20 on the hunchback 4g has more range than my medium lasers now.

E: I only ever really payed hunchbacks and judging this game by the 357m optimum range and -33% cooldown AC20 this update gave me it's extremely good.

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 17, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

~8 points in the Aux tree looks quite good for toasty mechs. For that fairly modest investment, you get an additional Cool Shot and +50% to the effects which is enough for one more on demand alpha when you're already running hot.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A reminder, if you're not maxing out the survivability tree but still investing, mechs under 65 tons get much more from armor than structure, and mechs over 65t get more health from structure than armor.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Does that matter much with crits and weapon destruction in play?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The durability tree gets you about 7% lowered chance to be crit just by grabbing other stuff. Anecdotally, it seems to help a lot, though machine guns will still rip you up pretty good. But I haven't experienced as much "get hit by 1 laser, lose heat sinks" while playing last night.

Even the one mg kit fox that got on me didn't instantly crit everything out, it took a bunch of sustained mg fire to kill my equipment in a side torso.

I think it'll probably be useful against stuff that's not missiles or machine guns, but right now it's all just guessing.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
oh christ, i'm going to have to deal with this poo poo once the new weapons drop. maybe it's for the best since the mix/maxing will all be figured out by then

it was already intimidating coming back after months to a year and adjusting to the new mechs and meta

teepo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 17, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

As a quick guide, here are some basic builds for the important trees:

Operations (17): Max Cool Run is the goal here. Heat Containment is good but not essential, and everything else in the tree is garbage.

Mobility (22): Full Speed Tweak. A bit pricey, but unlike most other trees Mobility doesn't have a lot of filler nodes. Everything is useful; it's just a question of how much you want. You can trim down to 14 points by clipping off the left-hand side at Torso Pitch 1 if you need the points elsewhere.

Sensors (11): You get 60% Radar Dep, along with Target Retention and a bit of Seismic, which is a decent deal. You can fill out the right side if you really want 100% dep, but I think you have to take too many bad nodes for it to be worthwhile.

Auxillary (6): Double Cool Shot for throwing away even more C-Bills! You can swap Salvors or UAV as the second point depending on preference. Also, go ahead and drop this down to just the one point in Extra Consumables if your mech is cool enough that you don't burn those 40k C-bill pops like candy.

Those four together run you 43-56 points depending on investment. That leaves you with ~40 points to play around with. Personally, I'd avoid the Survival Tree unless you're going for a gimick build on one of those IS mechs with insane Structure and Armor quirks. Don't know if the Jump Jet tree is worth it yet, haven't messed around with it much. As for Firepower...

Firepower (*): The trick to this tree is unlocking weapon specific nodes you need for your mech. Afterward just dump leftover points in whatever you find useful, Heat Gen, Range, and Cooldown are probably the best generic nodes. Here's an example of the Laser tree I'm using on my Timber Wolf,

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Is it possible to unlock a bunch of nodes, then inactivate the ones at the top and keep the ones at the bottom activated?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ardlen posted:

Is it possible to unlock a bunch of nodes, then inactivate the ones at the top and keep the ones at the bottom activated?

No, you need to have any subsidiary nodes active. Which means that, yes, you must take useless poo poo like Imp Gyros to max out your Cool Run.

It's one of the things that makes the Survivability tree rubbish. You end up having to spend points on junk like better AMS and reduced fall damage.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Skippy McPants posted:

No, you need to have any subsidiary nodes active. Which means that, yes, you must take useless poo poo like Imp Gyros to max out your Cool Run.

It's one of the things that makes the Survivability tree rubbish. You end up having to spend points on junk like better AMS and reduced fall damage.

You can get all the armor and all but 2 internals with 4 fall damage nodes and zero AMS ones. Just skip the two middle nodes.

Edit: whether that's worth it is another thing...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Gate posted:

You can get all the armor and all but 2 internals with 4 fall damage nodes and zero AMS ones. Just skip the two middle nodes.

Edit: whether that's worth it is another thing...

4 fall damage nodes is still 4 wasted nodes. I'm not sure any other tree requires that much filler to get the worthwhile stuff, and it's in a tree that is already one of the weakest.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Mobility (22): Full Speed Tweak. A bit pricey, but unlike most other trees Mobility doesn't have a lot of filler nodes. Everything is useful; it's just a question of how much you want. You can trim down to 14 points by clipping off the left-hand side at Torso Pitch 1 if you need the points elsewhere.

honestly I"d go for accel / decel over speed tweak these days. Straight line acceleration isn't nearly as important as the ability to get into and out of cover. All the mechs that are killing it right now are doing so because they still have mobility.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fair point, you could easily skip tweak to max out Ken Burst and Break. It could even be that mobility is such a premium that maxing the entire tree is the way to go, but I don't know if the losses in Firepower would be worth the trade.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Hello, I am Merk and I am in mumble dicking around with all of this poo poo for awhile and I am planning to shoot some robots.

If you want to join in or sit out and mechlab and theory craft feel free to join the room.

Some of us might be shooting robots testing out new builds, some of us might be masturbating to Kevin Federline Fanfic, I mean don't judge but we should all get together and argue about whether one should take that .5% range or something that makes your fat rear end mech turn .0000007% faster and the best way to do that is to yell and talk over each other while telling everyone who knows what best.

I will for sure be here for a few hours and if you don't have the mumble, its been posted in the thread multiple times and if not just ask and someone will link i am very sure.

I really want to find a once great, then weak, and now great again chassis that can be abused in numbers in the group play, but if not well we can still all yell at each other over which mech is the prettiest girl and should win the pageant.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

TeeMerk posted:

I really want to find a once great, then weak, and now great again chassis that can be abused in numbers in the group play, but if not well we can still all yell at each other over which mech is the prettiest girl and should win the pageant.

Dragons with over 100 CT armor and high base mobility.

It's still a Dragon but they're back to being hilarious.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The Javelin is kind of funny looking. A rare case of the original line art looking better than the MWO model.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

The Gate posted:

you just gave me a giant stiffy

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Skippy McPants posted:

Operations (17): Max Cool Run is the goal here. Heat Containment is good but not essential, and everything else in the tree is garbage.

Sensors (11): You get 60% Radar Dep, along with Target Retention and a bit of Seismic, which is a decent deal. You can fill out the right side if you really want 100% dep, but I think you have to take too many bad nodes for it to be worthwhile.

Auxillary (6): Double Cool Shot for throwing away even more C-Bills! You can swap Salvors or UAV as the second point depending on preference. Also, go ahead and drop this down to just the one point in Extra Consumables if your mech is cool enough that you don't burn those 40k C-bill pops like candy.

Those four together run you 43-56 points depending on investment. That leaves you with ~40 points to play around with. Personally, I'd avoid the Survival Tree unless you're going for a gimick build on one of those IS mechs with insane Structure and Armor quirks. Don't know if the Jump Jet tree is worth it yet, haven't messed around with it much. As for Firepower...

Firepower (*): The trick to this tree is unlocking weapon specific nodes you need for your mech. Afterward just dump leftover points in whatever you find useful, Heat Gen, Range, and Cooldown are probably the best generic nodes. Here's an example of the Laser tree I'm using on my Timber Wolf,

I do have to show Tank Girl Barbie those Skill_Spaghetti.jpegs.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

Personally I only spend 10 points in the sensors tree to get 60% radar dep and "100" seismic sensors. Not sure that the 1 point spent on target retention is worth it.
For the auxiliary tree I only spend a single point to get 1 more consumable, do not understand peoples reasoning to put points here at all. The weapon skills are much more worth it.
For operations I think it is not worth it to spend the points to get to the last 2 cool runnings, it's only 4% for 6 points. I'd rather spend 4 of those getting the 2 heat containment instead for 6% heat containment.
I agree that everything (almost) in the mobility tree is useful. Torso pitch can be good on some mechs but usually it is worthless. I put enough points into this tree to get all the speed tweaks and then I spend whatever points I have left on torso speed, torso yaw, kinetic burst, hard brake in that order.
Firepower is the most important tree for most of the mechs I find, I always unlock all the specific nodes for my mech (laser duration, srm/lbx spread et.c.), usually I get ALL the nodes that are useful for my mech, ends up around 35 points.
Survival I never put any points in as per the advice I got from several people on mumble.

All my mechs end up with identical skill trees in the end, the only thing that differs is the firepower tree. I always put the same points in sensors, mobility et.c. It works really well and once you get this "template" in your head it just takes a few minutes to skill your mechs. It looks like the tree gives you lots of customization but there is actually very few options available since some skills are 100% required for all mechs.

Edit: Here is my template, gives you 49 points to spread out on the firepower tree and then put whats left in the mobility tree: https://tarogato-mwo.github.io/mwo_skill_planner/?34178f2f-3b9e-11e7-ae4c-73caeeca35fe

Thank you for reading and see you in the 'verse

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 18, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

For the auxiliary tree I only spend a single point to get 1 more consumable, do not understand peoples reasoning to put points here at all. The weapon skills are much more worth it.

Five points to unlock an additional Cool Shot and up their cooling by 50% is very good, but as I said if you're running a cooler mech then the 1 point for the consumable slot is enough.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Skippy McPants posted:

Five points to unlock an additional Cool Shot and up their cooling by 50% is very good, but as I said if you're running a cooler mech then the 1 point for the consumable slot is enough.

Yeah, but there's also almost no excuse to be running a cool mech. There's very few builds that are using all available firepower and are also not going to be heating up at some critical point in a fight.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The Gate posted:

It's just not the same without knockdowns. :smith:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Commoners posted:

Yeah, but there's also almost no excuse to be running a cool mech. There's very few builds that are using all available firepower and are also not going to be heating up at some critical point in a fight.

Yep. Hence why I think the 5 points for an extra and more powerful CS is awesome. It keeps you shooting for that much longer.

Of course, it's one more C-bill sink but whatever, gotta shoot robits.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
GMan129 from metamechs has written a pretty good skill maze guide here: http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/skill-trees/
Should help those of you that don't want to put any more time into this than you need to.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TjyvTompa posted:

GMan129 from metamechs has written a pretty good skill maze guide here: http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/skill-trees/
Should help those of you that don't want to put any more time into this than you need to.

I really think he's over-valuing the suitability tree. The bonuses just aren't enough to really matter, especially when it comes to armor.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
After a quick perusing, I tend to agree. I looked over my cataphract last night (it's my favorite mech and you'll very likely pry it from my charred, smoking hands), and while i did dump some points in for extra armor I didn't go in as much as he suggests. I ran a match or two real quick just to test, and it runs almost exactly the same as before (elited out), just a little slower (no speed tweak) and with more ammo.

E: actually, with the mobility quirks i did notice that popping in and out of cover was easier, and with the heavy investment in torso yaw and twist speed i was able to twist as good as or better than before

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 18, 2017

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Agreed, it's like 8 armor on the CT if you're not on a mech with bonus armor/structure quirks. Not nothing, but not big. I'd rather get mobility or firepower unless you are in a mech with notable durability quirks. Having the extra speed to avoid or twist even a single shot is going to save you more often than the armor will. And the firepower tree is super strong for hot builds if you can invest heavily in the heat gen traits.

Also agree that getting the double coolshot stuff is good and fun, alpha strike with lasers all day.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I wrote some things here first that said something like "the guide is just a generic guide for people who don't want to spend time figuring out what to do with the skill maze" but then I check the survival tree page again and yeah, he vastly overestimates the usability of it.

quote:

The Survival Tree is much simpler than the Weapons Tree, and it’s one of the best ones – almost every mech should invest heavily in the Survival Tree. Usually you’ll even want to nearly max it out, but there are some efficient paths to get a lot out of it without investing too many nodes.

So yeah, the guide is good except for the survival part, put your points elsewhere, I would suggest the firepower/mobility tree. I still don't think you should spend any points in the auxiliary tree, instead of alpha firing constantly you should try to find a better position where you can do the same damage without the need for constant cool shots. Those 5 points could give you, for example, +6% heat containment instead.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I am not spending cbills on consumables lol.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It seems like this update really buffed brawling, which was surprising to me. If you're in a mech that's already a good brawler (and didn't get hosed on the mobility changes,) you can ignore most of the non-torso stuff in mobility and get some crazy armor, structure, and weapon quirks. Being able to increase the range of brawling weapons by like 1/4 is incredibly useful. I spent 2 minutes just sorta randomly assigning skills and got a pretty good build, but I'm using a really good base mech so average and lovely ones might really suffer with the skill system.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Which mech?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Hunchback 4G

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I played this back when Transverse was still a shining beacon of hope in an otherwise dark world with the original WoL crew. Is this crazy train still in Alpha 145.2B of team death match?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

So yeah, the guide is good except for the survival part, put your points elsewhere, I would suggest the firepower/mobility tree. I still don't think you should spend any points in the auxiliary tree, instead of alpha firing constantly you should try to find a better position where you can do the same damage without the need for constant cool shots. Those 5 points could give you, for example, +6% heat containment instead.

Eh? Heat containment doesn't improve your sustained DPS. All it does it raise the cap on your heat gauge. That is important for nailing your alpha thresholds, i.e. hitting three full firing cycles vs. two from resting heat, but it doesn't have any impact on your DPS over time.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 18, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

I played this back when Transverse was still a shining beacon of hope in an otherwise dark world with the original WoL crew. Is this crazy train still in Alpha 145.2B of team death match?

No, it's even less fun than you remember. Stockholm syndrome keeps us here.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Eh? Heat containment doesn't improve your sustained DPS. All it does it raise the cap on your heat gauge. That is important for nailing your alpha thresholds, i.e. hitting three full firing cycles vs. two from resting heat, but it doesn't have any impact on your DPS over time.

I guess if you're assuming people are firing 24/7 and not moving, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

has the engine to mobility delinking changed anything? Are xl's still a go-to on mechs that need positioning power/speed?

• Locked thread