Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i've never played either but they're both probably bad by today's. standards

The SNES one is still a fine platformer. I've never played the genesis one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think that just means youtubers are missing the opportunity to be huMRAs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can smack dudes with swords and hold the jump button to float longer and bounce off big billowy canvas roofs...good poo poo. The autoscroller levels aren't very good though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

The SNES one is still a fine platformer. I've never played the genesis one

hmm... looks like i've got a date with "al" :D

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

aladdin, that is to say

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You can tell youtube to stop showing you specific vids and channels. There'll be some dots that show up if you hover over the vid and you can click not interested and from there you can go further and tell them you don't want content from that channel showing up.

Also, I don't know why but I'm thinking now about this one dude whose fursona is a glass statue of a dog. Like, just a glass sculpture. He's a chill guy but the glass statue thing still makes me go "wait what?" because like, fursonas are something a furry picks out because they feel like it represents them in some kind of way, so what the hell is this guy trying to say by going "my fursona is a glass statue of a dog"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

You can smack dudes with swords and hold the jump button to float longer and bounce off big billowy canvas roofs...good poo poo. The autoscroller levels aren't very good though

oooh i just got ASMR tingles from thinking about bouncing on the canvas awnings. doing that IRL is my "Uli's Mud Dream"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

oddium posted:

oddium posted:

aladdin, that is to say

jasmine is going to kick your rear end

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

It's good! Try to get all the red gems

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know if the new Valkyria game coming out next month is good? I think it's been out in Japan for a while

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, I don't know why but I'm thinking now about this one dude whose fursona is a glass statue of a dog. Like, just a glass sculpture. He's a chill guy but the glass statue thing still makes me go "wait what?" because like, fursonas are something a furry picks out because they feel like it represents them in some kind of way, so what the hell is this guy trying to say by going "my fursona is a glass statue of a dog"

:siren:Hot take incoming:siren:

I think picking something like that as your fursona is just a symptom of the underlying problem, where representing yourself as an animal is no longer enough to make you suitably special. Furries have become too commonplace, there is now a whole pantheon of otherkin dopes who find it very important that everyone know that they identify as a fallen unicorn or a wood fairy or pallet of colors. Being a glass dog means primarily that this person either already owned a glass statue of a dog or saw one and thought it was too cool to ignore, and has a secondary property of letting the person be more unique (better) than other vanilla furries. The man who says "I am a glass dog" finds no equal among the regular hounds and wolves but looks down upon them as if he was further along some expanding mind graph.

Furry culture is the act of legitimizing pretend play as a way to invent qualities for yourself instead of actually developing qualities. I disagree when you say that fursonas are chosen because they represent the furry; fursonas are chose to project qualities, not magnify them. Someone would pick a fox so that other people can immediately know that the person is clever or quick, regardless of the individual's actual qualities. It all boils down to wanting to be special but finding the solution in embracing the imagination instead of the corporeal, and yes I do think all furries are annoying sadbrains thank you for asking.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Finished route a of Nier, I've came around on it somewhat, one off the most enjoyable media pieces I've experienced in recent years. The "game" parts are such a slog though. If I couldn't have turned it into easy and effectively had it play itself I'd have gave up halfway in.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

You can tell youtube to stop showing you specific vids and channels. There'll be some dots that show up if you hover over the vid and you can click not interested and from there you can go further and tell them you don't want content from that channel showing up.

The first furry I remember coming across was a guy who'd give all his characters a bizarre number of limbs, so his main persona was a turtle with two left arms. He also drew the Animaniacs a lot except sometimes they were centaurs. He didn't do anything sexual, it was just... that. I think some people like to fixate on something unique, since it feels more like it's their "thing".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Macarius Wrench posted:

Finished route a of Nier, I've came around on it somewhat, one off the most enjoyable media pieces I've experienced in recent years. The "game" parts are such a slog though. If I couldn't have turned it into easy and effectively had it play itself I'd have gave up halfway in.

I mean, you still have the chance to give up halfway since you aren't halfway through, yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think picking something like that as your fursona is just a symptom of the underlying problem, where representing yourself as an animal is no longer enough to make you suitably special. Furries have become too commonplace, there is now a whole pantheon of otherkin dopes who find it very important that everyone know that they identify as a fallen unicorn or a wood fairy or pallet of colors. Being a glass dog means primarily that this person either already owned a glass statue of a dog or saw one and thought it was too cool to ignore, and has a secondary property of letting the person be more unique (better) than other vanilla furries. The man who says "I am a glass dog" finds no equal among the regular hounds and wolves but looks down upon them as if he was further along some expanding mind graph.

Furry culture is the act of legitimizing pretend play as a way to invent qualities for yourself instead of actually developing qualities. I disagree when you say that fursonas are chosen because they represent the furry; fursonas are chose to project qualities, not magnify them. Someone would pick a fox so that other people can immediately know that the person is clever or quick, regardless of the individual's actual qualities. It all boils down to wanting to be special but finding the solution in embracing the imagination instead of the corporeal, and yes I do think all furries are annoying sadbrains thank you for asking.

That's a rock fact!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You can't feel like a unique snowflake if all the other uníque snowflakes are already doing the same thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of nier i played some more of it the other day while in a drunken stupor and i did something in a forest castle of some kind i think and beat up another sexy panty robot who had some kind of spear i think? how far am i through the game, understanding that you need to replay the thing 5 times to see all the content

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LawfulWaffle posted:

It all boils down to wanting to be special but finding the solution in embracing the imagination instead of the corporeal

PERHAPS THE SAME COULD BE SAID OF ALL REL

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The magic carpet escape level in Aladdin was some Battletoads level of bullshit though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

speaking of nier i played some more of it the other day while in a drunken stupor and i did something in a forest castle of some kind i think and beat up another sexy panty robot who had some kind of spear i think? how far am i through the game, understanding that you need to replay the thing 5 times to see all the content

1/6th

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

Maybe 2/3rd of the way towards ending A. There are 2 more playthroughs of comparable length to reach endings B and C. Endings D and E do not require full playthroughs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the back half of b is entirely different than a and c is different than a + b though

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cowcaster posted:

Calling it replays is pretty disingenuous. Routes A and B are two sides of the same coin and can be argued to be a replay, but C/D/E are basically just one route that happen after A/B where you replay the final boss fight and make a different choice to see the other ending.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this all sounds needlessly complicated!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's hard to tell two stories at the same time that take place at the same time

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's not that complicated! Just keep playing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It sounds good to me because I think I left off on B right before the split. I'm gonna finish the Dark Souls 3 DLC then wrap up Nier.

Anyone been playing Dead Cells? I've been messing around with it a little. Runs very well on my aging laptop, moment-to-moment gameplay is smooth, and I think the persistent upgrades will make for a decent system. My biggest gripe is that there's no way (for me so far) to augment my defense.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/dctrjack/status/865077154161217536

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

an actual dog posted:

Words to live by.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

an actual dog posted:

And have fun!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if the new Valkyria game coming out next month is good? I think it's been out in Japan for a while

Seems to depend of whether you think having to pause the game to access all your abilities ruins it or not. It's getting a budget-ish release here like Yazuka Kiwami so I'm gonna grab it anyway.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Sefal posted:

And have fun!

Good av + post combo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh also there was a rolling talking head that was a miniature sized version of some giant heads out in the desert i think?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://na.square-enix.com/us/node/7029

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

oh also there was a rolling talking head that was a miniature sized version of some giant heads out in the desert i think?

The rolling talking head is the best boy and you will learn to love him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Omg :bisonyes: :bisonyes:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

The rolling talking head is the best boy and you will learn to love him.

honestly i'm pretty checked out on the story and characters at this point so that's not really likely, however the game has been a phenomenal fit for something to play while i'm netflix binging and has quickly risen to my most played videogame over the past week or so by virtue of that so i'd say i'm having a good time with it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

honestly i'm pretty checked out on the story and characters at this point

:smugmrgw:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LawfulWaffle posted:

sounds like the furries have something in common with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think furries are probably just people who never learned about sex or w/e and started getting weird ideas about Dr. Gadget in the most formative years of their development.

• Locked thread