Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I remember at some point, someone asked about my CU Multicolor Cube and I totally blanked on posting it. I haven't updated it for Kaladash or later, but here's (I think?) the most recent list.

Multicolor CUbe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Maybe it was a fun Reanimator list

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
MBH is the best store in America and only real issue is when Frank isn't running FNM

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Guys, the cancer is spreading. I got Marveled playing Modern on XMage. How long before this bad deck spreads to another format and another and... there's not a ton of formats.

Wait til I finish my marvel ultimatum deck !

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I resisted at first, but I can tell MTGO is going to help with my limited game big time. Im already goin 2-1 3-0 in free phantom matchups

How does one budget between playing both paper magic and MTGO? I'm having good luck with winning player points for limited but I can see playing constructed will cost me

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ptkfvk posted:

is there a picture of all the planeswalkers together, maybe comparing heights?

as a greek man myself, ive imagined gideon as a 5'6 fiery Mediterranean islander. for some reason, im convinced ajani is seven feet tall too.

i dont know why i was thinking about this. i want garruk to come back and kill someone already

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Elyv posted:

Turns out magic story is better when the main character of the chapter isn't a planeswalker

also Nicol Bolas is about to be back maybe

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Elyv posted:

Turns out magic story is better when the main character of the chapter isn't a planeswalker

also Nicol Bolas is about to be back maybe

It's really weird how Wizards, a company that trips over itself to be inclusive and tolerant, just put out a story that boils down to "cultural imperialism is cool and good."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

suicidesteve posted:

Are you playing on MTGO? You run into some really weird things in the for fun rooms. I played against a Leyline of Singularity deck once. It was really bad.

Yes, I'm finding it to be an ideal place to relearn the game.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I am entirely unsurprised that Jace is a manlet

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Retromancer posted:

It's really weird how Wizards, a company that trips over itself to be inclusive and tolerant, just put out a story that boils down to "cultural imperialism is cool and good."
You'll have to go into detail here because I feel Samut's characterization in Judgement exemplifies anti-colonialist revolt that seeks to overthrow Bolas's imperialist subjugation. Samut, representing the native people of Amonkhet, only accepts the Gatewatch's (essentially a foreign power opposed to Bolas) aid grudgingly, as they are clearly clueless and bumbling. Djeru, on the other hand, represents the native population who collaborates with the colonial power and needs to be won over for any lasting social change to occur. Furthermore

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I like it when I play the zombie.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Siivola posted:

You'll have to go into detail here because I feel Samut's characterization in Judgement exemplifies anti-colonialist revolt that seeks to overthrow Bolas's imperialist subjugation. Samut, representing the native people of Amonkhet, only accepts the Gatewatch's (essentially a foreign power opposed to Bolas) aid grudgingly, as they are clearly clueless and bumbling. Djeru, on the other hand, represents the native population who collaborates with the colonial power and needs to be won over for any lasting social change to occur. Furthermore

Ever since the gatewatch hit the plane they've basically been reacting to everything like a crazy redneck seeing someone wearing a hijab.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
To be fair, you'd react badly too if you went to a city and culture deliberately designed to turbomurder people for an unknown purpose by magic dragon Hitler.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yeah I think there's a difference between 'people are horrified by foreign culture' and 'people are horrified by foreign culture that has been perverted by Dragon Hitler to murder as many of its own people as possible as fast as possible.'
Like, you know, I'd feel pretty safe describing my own culture as being objectively superior to one with a Dragon Hitler in it. I don't think that's a dangerous assumption.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

ZeroCount posted:

Yeah I think there's a difference between 'people are horrified by foreign culture' and 'people are horrified by foreign culture that has been perverted by Dragon Hitler to murder as many of its own people as possible as fast as possible.'
Like, you know, I'd feel pretty safe describing my own culture as being objectively superior to one with a Dragon Hitler in it. I don't think that's a dangerous assumption.

But, like, who are we to judge, man? Don't be a cultural imperialist.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cultural relativism in the face of systematized violence is a problem that has been a thorn in anthropologists' side since the early 20th century, so I'm willing to give Gideon a break for sassing Bontu that one time. I can't quite accuse the Planeswalking Paragons of outright cultural imperialism, if only because they're not in an imperialist position in Amonkhet. Despite repeatedly flaunting local laws and customs, they're arguably in a subordinate position socially through their status as foreigners. Very much unlike Bolas, I might add.

On the other hand, the Gatewatch story as a whole is quickly moving from a benign (if violent) humanitarian aid focus to a much more questionable interventionist one where a superpowered strike team imposes their own law across various planes of the multiverse.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 18, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
As someone who has taken a college cultural anthropology class I-

ThePeavstenator posted:

EVERY FNM I SHOW UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CARD ONTO THE BATTLEFIELD. ITS AETHERWORKS MARVEL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START TAPPING THE CARD WITH MY FREE RESOURCE, ENERGY. I LOOK AT THE TOP 6 CARDS AND I SLAM ULAMOG HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN AN AUTOMATIC 2-FOR-1 THAT WILL WIN ME THE GAME IN 2 TURNS OR EVEN A VALUE CARD WHEN I MESS UP AND MISS. MANY CAN SAY THEY CHEATED OUT THE FORMAT'S MOST DANGEROUS ELDRAZI. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY LGS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN LGSS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE HITS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY DECK LESS BORING BY PLAYING EM ALL. 4 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY FRIday

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Retromancer posted:

Ever since the gatewatch hit the plane they've basically been reacting to everything like a crazy redneck seeing someone wearing a hijab.

Actually, the reaction of Gideon until the Ambition Trial was: "Whoa, this place and this people are REALLY COOL".

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The Gayewatch has left every plane they've been to in a worse state than it would have been if they'd never shown up

Essentially the magic story is a metaphor for the Iraq war and American intervention in the middle east

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

in case anyone is confused, this actually happens

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Nicol Bolas went to Amonkhet and brainwashed everybody into thinking violence and death are cool. Seems like stopping that is good. But I don't know anything about cultural imperialism.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Looks like they did not do away with modern pptq's, the season is just around the corner. Yay for magic.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

So, Nissa is Colossus and Jace is Wolverine?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

EVERY FNM I SHOW UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CARD ONTO THE BATTLEFIELD. ITS AETHERWORKS MARVEL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START TAPPING THE CARD WITH MY FREE RESOURCE, ENERGY. I LOOK AT THE TOP 6 CARDS AND I SLAM ULAMOG HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN AN AUTOMATIC 2-FOR-1 THAT WILL WIN ME THE GAME IN 2 TURNS OR EVEN A VALUE CARD WHEN I MESS UP AND MISS. MANY CAN SAY THEY CHEATED OUT THE FORMAT'S MOST DANGEROUS ELDRAZI. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY LGS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN LGSS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE HITS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY DECK LESS BORING BY PLAYING EM ALL. 4 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY FRIday

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I hope this is a typo, if it isn't don't do this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If it's Baywatch but had a bunch of Grindr models instead, that would be a more interesting story than whatever they have going on right now. Heck, I'd watch the series and buy the play mat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
gaywatch is a pro pun, gimme that nissa on chandra action which is actually probably gonna happen since they clumsily alluded to it in that one story

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Personally I call em the Greatwatch because the story is great :D

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
It's awkward when they people hating on a slightly cringe-inducing story are themselves more cringe-inducing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Veyrall posted:

It's awkward when they people hating on a slightly cringe-inducing story are themselves more cringe-inducing.

I think your sad attempts at burns are cringe-inducing.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

leper khan posted:

Yeah, I stopped playing after I moved here because I couldn't breathe in pandemonium.

Happily I live pretty close to JP Comics, and have had nothing but good times there. Unfortunately FNM can fill up in like 30 seconds if you're not quick on the draw to register online. I'm moving to East Boston in a few months but it'll still be worth it to take the train to get there.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cactrot posted:

I hope this is a typo, if it isn't don't do this.

lol

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'm all in for the Gayewatch

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

clamiam45 posted:

I've done a few drafts online and I'm 3-0, 2-1, 1-2, and 0-2, so pretty much all over the place. That said I like to be aggressive in this format if possible. Exert feels a lot like landfall in that it makes you want to be attacking. Maybe for that reason removal is really strong in my experience.

Listening to latest popular opinions from Limited Resources and Gerry Thompson, I'm feeling really smart right now.

3xAKH is really fun!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I'm all in for the Gayewatch

I Heard It Through the Grapeshot :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That guy's dumb but gently caress off to your hole fadam

Marketing New Brain