Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Aaron Rodgers seems to be doing fine. Just saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Insinuating players are gay when they say they're hetero is homophobic.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

John Wilkes Booth definitely just buy tickets off stubhub the day of.

I love this quote

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Pillar's apology was a joke.

“It was immature, it was stupid, it was uncalled for,”

I dunno, he seems sincere to me. He can't exactly suspend himself for a stupid comment in the heat of the moment. I won't be too upset if the team suspends him a couple games.. It doesn't make me not a fan of Pillar anymore as a gay jays fan. I think all of us have said something we regret, and most of us have used a slur that targets a group even if we aren't bigots. I know I said a ton of dumb stuff in high school I regret.

Intruder posted:

Aaron Rodgers seems to be doing fine. Just saying

Also this kinda weird and creepy. I hear this poo poo all the time of people trying to out sports stars and it just seems like you are implying being gay is a bad or shameful thing. Either the guy is gay but isn't public about it (which is ok) or he is straight and this is weird thing to say about him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The_Hat posted:

I love this quote

lol

patonthebach posted:

Also this kinda weird and creepy. I hear this poo poo all the time of people trying to out sports stars and it just seems like you are implying being gay is a bad or shameful thing. Either the guy is gay but isn't public about it (which is ok) or he is straight and this is weird thing to say about him.

It's a running gag that I guess doesn't play outside of TFF, sorry

e: ER I SHOULD SAY I'M SORRY IF ANYONE WAS OFFENDED

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Intruder posted:

lol

It's a running gag that I guess doesn't play outside of TFF, sorry

e: ER I SHOULD SAY I'M SORRY IF ANYONE WAS OFFENDED
Yeah, the "gag" of calling someone gay is homophobic.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gonna bow out of this one

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

Is anyone calling him MLB's Fred Phelps though? I like Pillar, but he hosed up badly here and needs to be held accountable.

People are wanting him kicked of the team it seems though I'm not sure how exactly that aligns with my chosen analogy.

Point being, I seriously doubt Pillar even associates whatever gay slur he used with actual gay people, much as I didn't for most of my life. It was just...something you said casually, or when you were pissed, or drunk, or in locker rooms or barracks or wherever else young men congregate. That certainly doesn't make it ok, and he and everyone else in MLB and pro sports and society in general should be clearly shown why this isn't ok, but I feel like some over the top punishment intended to make an example of him is not only unwarranted but also probably works against LGBT equality long term.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sucks because it seems like the backlash against Sam probably kept a bunch of other pro athletes in the closet. I know a few activist players said that they had been in contact with gay NFL players who were considering coming out, but that never happened.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It sucks because it seems like the backlash against Sam probably kept a bunch of other pro athletes in the closet. I know a few activist players said that they had been in contact with gay NFL players who were considering coming out, but that never happened.

The almighty "It's a distraction" that doesn't apply to domestic violence for some reason

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

People are wanting him kicked of the team it seems though I'm not sure how exactly that aligns with my chosen analogy.

Well that would be excessive then yes. But he should get a couple of games.

Intruder posted:

The almighty "It's a distraction" that doesn't apply to domestic violence for some reason

The reason is that the other players don't care if you beat your wife.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GMs asking players if they were gay probably broke some laws also

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Actually watched the Batista homerun finally and :lol: did the benches really clear after that good but not overly theatric bat flip?

What a bunch of babies

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Intruder posted:

Actually watched the Batista homerun finally and :lol: did the benches really clear after that good but not overly theatric bat flip?

What a bunch of babies

Apparently bat flips make the game 'tough to watch'

lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

patonthebach posted:

I think all of us have said something we regret, and most of us have used a slur that targets a group even if we aren't bigots. I know I said a ton of dumb stuff in high school I regret.

Pillar is 28. This isn't a high school kid saying something because he doesn't know any better.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

patonthebach posted:

“It was immature, it was stupid, it was uncalled for,”

It was immature, it was stupid, it was uncalled for. It’s part of the game; I’m a competitive guy and heat of the moment,” said Pillar, who finished 0-for-4 on the night. “Obviously I’m going to do whatever I’ve got to do to reach out and apologize and let (Motte) know he didn’t do anything wrong, it was all me.”

Pillar called the incident “something to learn from, something to move on from.” He went on to say it was “not a good look” for himself or his team.“Don’t let it define me but really I think it was just frustration from coming off a really good homestand and really just not even being in any of these ball games, just coming out flat and not being able to build on what we were able to build on (against) Seattle,” he said. “That just all came out in that moment.”

That does not seem like he gets it at all.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Julio Cruz posted:

Pillar is 28. This isn't a high school kid saying something because he doesn't know any better.

If you can't be a fan of an athlete anymore because he said a slur one time , you are going to have about eleven players left to cheer for

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ice Fist posted:

lol

I want to see Joey Bats do a majorette-style bat twirl, skip around the bases, and then curtsy at home plate.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

That does not seem like he gets it at all.

I'm genuinely curious what it is you think was inadequate/inappropriate or whatever in that statement.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

lol

We have so much to learn from Korea

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bewbies posted:

I'm genuinely curious what it is you think was inadequate/inappropriate or whatever in that statement.

Because he's making excuses about how it's heat of the moment and not who he is. He doesn't acknowledge why it's offensive or even what he said. He's not owning it and explicitly says that it should be moved on from as though he's already learned his lesson.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

bewbies posted:

To me, that sounds like he's apologizing for being upset at Motte; that a quickpitch should not have actually warranted him getting angry. I don't read any sense of remorse for the actual slur in that apology or any understanding as to why it was wrong.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves shouldn't have gotten up for that, bat flipping when you've brought your team within 4 of an excessively lovely team is already sufficient self-ownage.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Because he's making excuses about how it's heat of the moment and not who he is. He doesn't acknowledge why it's offensive or even what he said. He's not owning it and explicitly says that it should be moved on from as though he's already learned his lesson.

You don't think being in this competitive moment isn't part of why he said it? You think he calls someone that word if they don't pass the salt at the dinner table?

I bet he doesn't even consider that word go be about gay people just like many don't use bitch to mean about women

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Intruder posted:

We have so much to learn from Korea

Honestly I think Bautista's batlfip was dumb because the Jays were losing, but a batflip is basically the football spike of baseball. It's so mundane it's not even worth mentioning.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

patonthebach posted:

You don't think being in this competitive moment isn't part of why he said it? You think he calls someone that word if they don't pass the salt at the dinner table?

I bet he doesn't even consider that word go be about gay people just like many don't use bitch to mean about women

That doesn't make it okay though? It's a perfect opportunity to come out and say something to the effect of "I regret using that word. Locker room talk is no excuse for using what I recognize is a hurtful and damaging slur. I sincerely apologize for using that term and want to use this as a lesson to promote acceptance. No situation warrants the use of that type of language."

e: I agree with you that he likely didn't mean it as an anti-gay thing, but that's really not the point. You are a role model to children and adults alike. Own what you did, explain why it's wrong, and sincerely apologize for it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Why does it matter if he was upset about something else? That's not an excuse at all.

^^^exactly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

Honestly I think Bautista's batlfip was dumb because the Jays were losing, but a batflip is basically the football spike of baseball. It's so mundane it's not even worth mentioning.

Fair, and it also doesn't help that Bats is slashing a healthy .208/.330/.376 and appears to be just about done, but it's still a stupid thing to get mad about

elentar posted:

Braves shouldn't have gotten up for that, bat flipping when you've brought your team within 4 of an excessively lovely team is already sufficient self-ownage.

Also true

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

He says 1) he's going to apologize to Motte, 2) notes that it reflects very poorly on him and his team, and 3) says he only said it because he was upset/fired up/whatever, which is almost certainly true...he doesn't at any point say it excuses the behavior, just that that's why it happened. I certainly think that's adequate for an impromptu post-game interview statement. I'm also willing to bet that he'll present a more thorough prepared statement later.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ice Fist posted:

That only makes me love it more, to be honest.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice Fist posted:

It wasn't even the batflip that set things off, so much as Jose getting into it with Suzuki at the end. Which, maybe Suzuki was channeling his inner fun police but I would like to think he said something to the effect of "Wow great homer, did you check the scoreboard while you watched it?"

Even Bautista said later that it wasn't really the best time to be dramatic about the flip.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's always the best time to be dramatic about a bat flip when you hit a dong

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

For what it's worth, it looked to me like Bautista was actually a little remorseful and explaining himself to Suzuki; not trying to start poo poo. He tapped his chest multiple times in a "my bad" sort of way.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

It wasn't even the batflip that set things off, so much as Jose getting into it with Suzuki at the end. Which, maybe Suzuki was channeling his inner fun police but I would like to think he said something to the effect of "Wow great homer, did you check the scoreboard while you watched it?"

Even Bautista said later that it wasn't really the best time to be dramatic about the flip.

It seemed as though Jose and Suzuki had a diplomatic conversation where Jose was actually trying to diffuse things knowing if he didn't someone was gonna get plunked.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Freeman likely has a fractured wrist. Out 8-10 weeks if so.

Well it was a fun two months, see y'all in 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gobias Ind. posted:

For what it's worth, it looked to me like Bautista was actually a little remorseful and explaining himself to Suzuki; not trying to start poo poo. He tapped his chest multiple times in a "my bad" sort of way.

It seemed as though Jose and Suzuki had a diplomatic conversation where Jose was actually trying to diffuse things knowing if he didn't someone was gonna get plunked.

Oh, that's good. All of the reporting I've seen has only had the video of Pillar and pretty generic descriptions of Suzuki/Bautista.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

The batflip here is of secondary concern to the pitcher who said 'it makes the game hard to watch'. Which, imo, is just :laffo:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bewbies posted:

He says 1) he's going to apologize to Motte, 2) notes that it reflects very poorly on him and his team, and 3) says he only said it because he was upset/fired up/whatever, which is almost certainly true...he doesn't at any point say it excuses the behavior, just that that's why it happened. I certainly think that's adequate for an impromptu post-game interview statement. I'm also willing to bet that he'll present a more thorough prepared statement later.

The first two points are fine sure, but the third one is not. Just because he's frustrated doesn't mean it's ok, and he never explicitly states that frustration is no excuse. In my opinion, he sort of does the opposite by returning to the point about how frustrating the series has been, as though that sort of thing and those sorts of words are just part of the game and somehow understandable, like he's the one who deserves some sort of empathy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't begin to understand why people care so much about batflips. Batflip on everything I say. Foul balls. Singles. Popups. BuntsNever bunt always swing for the fences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I can't begin to understand why people care so much about batflips. Batflip on everything I say. Foul balls. Singles. Popups. BuntsNever bunt always swing for the fences

Ugh Intruder you can't batflip on everything or you ruin the value of the batflip. :cmon:

• Locked thread