Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

You mean Shadowrun?

I thought Shadowrun was basically the cyberpunk kitchen sink setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

OwlFancier posted:

Replace the human with the machine, legalize the machine, criminalize the human, the machine can't strike, the machine doesn't need paying.

It'd make a great setting for a dystopian cyberpunk novel is all I'm saying.

Isn't that more or less what Judge Dredd is?
+90% or so unemployment since everything is done by robots, from what I recall.

E: Except that of course in Dredd the machines do strike or have uprisings or something

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Has anyone effectively debunked guys like Stephan Molyneux or Jordan Peterson? They seem like the biggest YouTube intellectual authorities right after Gavin Mcinnes amongst the alt-right and anti-SJWs.
I've listened to both and found their arguments wacky but couldn't put a finger on why precisely.
Has anyone?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Monglo posted:

Has anyone effectively debunked guys like Stephan Molyneux or Jordan Peterson? They seem like the biggest YouTube intellectual authorities right after Gavin Mcinnes amongst the alt-right and anti-SJWs.
I've listened to both and found their arguments wacky but couldn't put a finger on why precisely.
Has anyone?

from what i remember about molyneux he's a lost cause white supremacist who said africans were better off under colonialism/slavery and that mental illness isn't real

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Erpisa, please for the love of God make an actual dedicated thread for your newest YouTube poo poo and move it out of here. You're getting to the point of making multiple-paragraph response posts and you're taking over a thread that really isn't supposed to be about you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Monglo posted:

Has anyone?

Shaun & Jen taking on Molyneux's Fall of Rome

I've not seen anyone in the usual circles taking on Jordan Peterson. I wish they would - I've honest to go seen shitlords call him teh greatest philosopher of our time. But for the most part, he's been left alone to be an edgy rear end in a top hat

He did get destroyed in this Bill C-16 debate. But in terms of his overall bullshit ideas about gender, sex, race, no one has really tackled him so far as I know.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyw3JwDcHZE
I remember watching this short live analysis of Stefan Molyneux a while back. The reason he is so weird/enigmatic is that he is no joke a cult leader.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyw3JwDcHZE
I remember watching this short live analysis of Stefan Molyneux a while back. The reason he is so weird/enigmatic is that he is no joke a cult leader.

Dick Coughlan2 years ago
Apparently Stef has a problem with the free market when it comes to women choosing relationships.

Some people were talking earlier about how YT reactionaries den't matter. Sadly, they do. How much they matter is probably debatable but there's no doubt Stefan Molyneux has ruined many lives. Listening to this poo poo, I can honestly say that if he died tomorrow, the world would be a 100% better place. I try to rein in my anger sometimes - I don't want shoeonhead to die or even Sargon. But Molyneux is just...evil.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
Peterson has 2 online «conversations» with Sam Harris but I guess that's neither here nor there when it comes to debunking.

As I see it when it comes to psychology on an individual level he, as an actual academic on the matter, does make a lot of sense. It's just that what gained him popularity was his application of that expertise to the social sphere, at which point he loses any semblance of nuance and goes full evolutionary-psychology ugabuga: male provider, female baby factory. Sprinkle this with some very skittish esoteric mysthicism and ramblings about Communist death counts (praising The Gulag Archipelago as the best book of all time), post-modernism/Frankfurt School scaremongering and you've got yourself a great pseudo-intelectual for the shitlord generation.

I mean it's clear he probably was a conservative from the beginning as is the case with most these academics turned reactionaries but when he stays on just psychology it's clear he's a well learned man and an actually good popularizer of some deep ideas drawing plentiful illustration from philosophy and literature not just from sterile psychological categorizations. I also think it's a bit tragic, as someone mentioned before, that his ambition got the better of him, and that his good works wil now be lost in the sea of bullshit that is the youtube intelectual craze.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLbjmIajj9
Jordan Peterson - I Regret Calling MGTOW Pathetic Weasels

Of all the things to regret about his recent going off into the deep end, to choose this to take back, my gott, how low can you go.

Fados fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 18, 2017

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CM_--di7L8

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

OwlFancier posted:

Replace the human with the machine, legalize the machine, criminalize the human, the machine can't strike, the machine doesn't need paying.

It'd make a great setting for a dystopian cyberpunk novel is all I'm saying.

Does Conservative HQ know you're leaking their manifesto?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

Erpisa, please for the love of God make an actual dedicated thread for your newest YouTube poo poo and move it out of here. You're getting to the point of making multiple-paragraph response posts and you're taking over a thread that really isn't supposed to be about you.

Well okay but, they are a pseudo-intellectual who makes Youtube videos about their awful ideas. Where else could they belong?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Technology fetishists are frustrating. Yes technology has changed (most) of the world but the cool toys are just for the first world, even there we have massive inequality and are doing little about pollution. We have a lot of issues today that aren't going to go away with mass market electric cars and there is no sign of the nanotechnology or AI in the near future to make your dreams come true. Stick to issues within the next 10-20 years and don't assume technology will fix everything, as we see with nuclear power failing to replace fossil.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Carecat posted:

Technology fetishists are frustrating. Yes technology has changed (most) of the world but the cool toys are just for the first world, even there we have massive inequality and are doing little about pollution. We have a lot of issues today that aren't going to go away with mass market electric cars and there is no sign of the nanotechnology or AI in the near future to make your dreams come true. Stick to issues within the next 10-20 years and don't assume technology will fix everything, as we see with nuclear power failing to replace fossil.

You can rely on technology to take away jobs though so we always have that.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTSgsVdKF0Q

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

"The El Nino."

I'm shocked this guy manages to be more boring than the Senate floor.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Just realized that he is one haircut away from being Jiminy Glick.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Yaay, my roommates moved over from Jordan Peterson to Sargon :smith: Evenings here in the living room have turned into alt-right circlejerks. Moving out in a month...!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Colonel J posted:

Yaay, my roommates moved over from Jordan Peterson to Sargon :smith: Evenings here in the living room have turned into alt-right circlejerks. Moving out in a month...!

He's a gateway drug, maaan.

Jordan Peterson: Not Even Once.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Colonel J posted:

Can you tell us any fascinating stories? I've always wondered what their rear end in a top hat followers are like IRL

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Can you tell us any fascinating stories? I've always wondered what their rear end in a top hat followers are like IRL

I assume round, inability to shave properly, up their own arse about everything, and stupid, much like the source material.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Breivik sympathisers are of course right wing and highly conspiratorial, idiotic and racist. My deep desire to see good in all people makes a conversation about it highly painful.

Midig fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 18, 2017

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

I mildly acquainted with a shitlord who's very much into pol and who doesn't miss a change to spew edgy 'provocative' jokes about jews. The stereotypes are all there: he's a NEET, heavy drinker, with severe mental heath problems that likes to cocktail mix his prescription drugs and spends his days playing videogames. I sometimes like to visit him just for the slight fascination it provokes me watching this type of pure breed shitlord and also the shadenfreud of his slowly dregadring trainwreck of a life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fados posted:

I mildly acquainted with a shitlord who's very much into pol and who doesn't miss a change to spew edgy 'provocative' jokes about jews. The stereotypes are all there: he's a NEET, heavy drinker, with severe mental heath problems that likes to cocktail mix his prescription drugs and spends his days playing videogames. I sometimes like to visit him just for the slight fascination it provokes me watching this type of pure breed shitlord and also the shadenfreud of his slowly dregadring trainwreck of a life.

Does he live on his own? How does he get money?

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

From what I know he lives in his parents second apartment and rents the other rooms for a living. He could literally be fellow goon's from above landlord for all I know.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Colonel J posted:

please poo poo on their beds before you leave, it's the least you can do for justice's sake.

Also do your friends know that Carlgon is a fat idiot IT pedant who was too stupid to go to college?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
There's a new(ish) shaun and jen about Paul Joseph Watson. Think he actually managed to annoy S&J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9xmpikmsBI

What I didn't realize is he's from Info Wars until I saw this one also taking him to task for his popular culture video from a guy who's main thing is album reviews so he's well placed to critique him about music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmta1gFjxU

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 18, 2017

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Peterson's Serpent of Chaos stuff is actually pretty funny, and sometimes it seems like he has some empathy for human suffering with his talk of every life being a tragedy or whatever. Then he falls for the common pseudointellectual leap of IQ + evopsych + the creativity research he has done to some sort = total explanation and justification for the status quo. Of course all the problems with the status quo are either not real problems because they're Natural and Good, or they're the fault of the SJWs and their Communist professors brainwashing the youth with (((Frankfurt School))) propaganda.

But it is weird that your friend went from Peterson to Sargon. Usually it is the other way around.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Carecat posted:

What I didn't realize is he's from Info Wars until I saw this one also taking him to task for his popular culture video from a guy who's main thing is album reviews so he's well placed to critique him about music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmta1gFjxU

I wish I didn't watch this because I'd only read PJ Watson and hearing his voice somehow makes me hate him even more. And I didn't need to, I already hated him plenty.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Did somebody post the latest ContraPoints video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPa1wikTd5c

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fados posted:

When did NEET become a euphemism for neckbeard instead of a euphemism for chav?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Carecat posted:

There's a new(ish) shaun and jen about Paul Joseph Watson. Think he actually managed to annoy S&J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9xmpikmsBI

this thumbnail is hilarious

also, the new contra is great. getting better with every video.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Reveilled posted:

When did NEET become a euphemism for neckbeard instead of a euphemism for chav?

Since when we're neckbeards employable, wanted education or training?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Samovar posted:

Since when we're neckbeards employable, wanted education or training?

Yeah, they fit the acronym, but they're not the group the acronym was invented to describe. I mean, retirees fit the acronym too, but you wouldn't describe your grandad as a NEET.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/theresa-may-internet-conservatives-government-a7744176.html

Meanwhile great free speech warrior Carlgon is screaming at people to vote Tory.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

he's such a staunch leftist

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

boner confessor posted:

Dat feel when leftists lose all sense of perspective*

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Midig posted:

Dat feel when leftists lose all sense of perspective*

he never was a leftist, it was just something he said to manipulate people into lending him false credbility

it's the same thing people say when they're all "well i WAS a leftist, but i voted trump because of all you idiots on the internet who blah blah blah" it's just a weak attempt to guilt trip people into agreeing with you

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

boner confessor posted:

Excuse me, it's

C L A S S I C A L

L I B E R A L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

boner confessor posted:

he never was a leftist, it was just something he said to manipulate people into lending him false credbility

it's the same thing people say when they're all "well i WAS a leftist, but i voted trump because of all you idiots on the internet who blah blah blah" it's just a weak attempt to guilt trip people into agreeing with you

Or people who say "I'm a moderate/independent" but pull straight Conservative/Republican every drat time.

• Locked thread