Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I can literally drive my Leman Russ closer so I can hit them with my sword 10/10 new edition best edition

First thing I thought as well.

God bless.

Gonna need to bash out a tank commander with a sword...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zuul the Cat posted:

That sucks that you guys have such bad experiences at your local GW. It might be a case of them having to meet sales quotas?

Mine is really rad. I've never had them push anything on me, and the manager played a full game of SW:A with me when no one else was available. Even the other customers are cool. No one is gross or weird, no over the top grognards.

Running a game store is hard, like really hard. You have to stay on top of the people who come into your store because hobbies like this attract some truly awful people. That's not always easy in addition to the typical tasks of running a store.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Geoff Zahn posted:

I hope it locks you in. Makes sense that the unit has to spend a turn moving away from the giant kill-dozer trying to crush them.

It would unless we see otherwise. Both units are free to fall back now anyways.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Transport rules are apparently coming soon. With everyone being able to charge out of any vehicle, I wonder if assault vehicles like Landraiders will be able to charge in, eat the overwatch, then dump their troops directly into combat.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So if I charge an open topped vehicle full of infantry with pistols (say, slugga boyz in a trukk), do they take the hit from the truck as well as the close combat pistol attacks from the boyz inside?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I hope vehicles can fall back without penalty. It'd really suck to have a leman russ or a land raider prevented from shooting for a turn by whatever cheap suicide unit your opponent has available.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Out of the four local GWs near me, there's only one I refuse to go into. The manager is pushy af and the playerbase there is the groggiest of the grogs. Just bad craic.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Running a game store is hard, like really hard. You have to stay on top of the people who come into your store because hobbies like this attract some truly awful people. That's not always easy in addition to the typical tasks of running a store.

I've seen so many games stores go to the pits because the owners wouldn't tell people to gently caress off. Scum attract scum and chase off the kind of customers you want to keep. There's one neckbeard around here who's complete cancer for a store's health, the mere mention he's started to hang out somewhere is enough to drive away scores of people he's pissed off.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

Just bad craic.

You're Irish?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

chutche2 posted:

I hope vehicles can fall back without penalty. It'd really suck to have a leman russ or a land raider prevented from shooting for a turn by whatever cheap suicide unit your opponent has available.

I hope they don't. If you're dumb enough to drive your slow heavy weapons platform into the middle of an infantry platoon you deserve to pay for it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

You're Irish?

Not quite, Northern English

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Hra Mormo posted:

I hope they don't. If you're dumb enough to drive your slow heavy weapons platform into the middle of an infantry platoon you deserve to pay for it.

I mean. There's more poo poo than infantry platoons.

You could have a land speeder or a bike go ram a heavy tank and lock it in combat. Fast poo poo like that can be hard to stop from doing a suicide run.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Guess you shouldn't have left your big metal coffin on it's own like World of Tanks then, huh.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Question for SRM, you have said one of the reasons you don't do battle reports yet for Camhammer is you don't have a set up for over the table shots. I am wondering if there is someone who actually does what you are thinking of doing that you could share? The only thing I have seen like that is on the warhammer tv twitch channel and I actually find it to be kind of useless as its pretty hard to tell whats what for somethings from directly above and far enough to get the whole table. But that is unedited live streaming which is kind of its own can of worms.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking. The Independent Characters did something similar when they had Adepticon coverage a few years ago. I basically just want to be able to mount a GoPro up on my ceiling.

loving what

RagnarokAngel posted:

My first impressions were great because the store owner said he wanted to avoid what he called "Competitive douchebaggery". this sounded nice until i went to a few events and found that the guy was really way too optimistic about the types who come to these games.

It's a shame because he doesn't work there anymore and they don't have a new full time manager lined up. The dude was super cool about not pushing folks to buy anything too, I talked to him after he actually talked some kid and their dad out of buying a huge stack of stuff, because he'd rather people come back and get involved in the hobby than just buy a bunch of poo poo and get buyer's remorse.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

When is this Q&A that's supposed to be done today?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

chutche2 posted:

I hope they can't because gumming up your heavy bolters with my termagants would own.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Mine is really rad. I've never had them push anything on me, and the manager played a full game of SW:A with me when no one else was available. Even the other customers are cool. No one is gross or weird, no over the top grognards.
HINT: If you look around the store and you don't see the smelly grognard... :v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

DO IT TO IT posted:

When is this Q&A that's supposed to be done today?

12:30 EDT I think

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'd think that vehicles would just have a rule that lets them fire while engaged, because I don't see a bunch of cheap crap banging sticks/claws on the armor is going to stop you from shooting something else.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

12:30 EDT I think

https://countingdownto.com/countdown/8-dth-edition-q-a-countdown-clock

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Fearless posted:

That could get dangerous if any of you are rocking pewter minis... or that nasty Chinese carcinogenic resin.

All resin powder is toxic and carcinogenic once inhaled :ssh:

Sykic posted:

Mine used to be run by an MRA who would constantly try to push extra poo poo on you no matter what you bought, going as far as looming over the shoulders of people who're painting and playing and listing off stuff he thought they should buy. Personal space was at a premium in that place.

:cawg:

HiveCommander posted:

Oh man, this bodes well for deffrollas

Lol, "Yeah we know Cruddace hosed that up and we're fixing it." I cannot get enough of 8th ed and New GW.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

SteelMentor posted:

Not quite, Northern English

Not the north east by any chance? I'll be looking for somewhere to play again with my descent back into the hobby with 8th ed.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

All resin powder is toxic and carcinogenic once inhaled :ssh:

This is not true. It is an irritant (and certainly not all that healthy to inhale), but it is not a carcinogen. I was actually told by several FW individuals that if it were, they wouldn't be allowed to sell it.

From the FW article on working with Forge World resin:
The resin that we use has no inherent health risks, but we do recommend a dust mask if you are filing or sanding – as with any fine substance, resin dust can be an irritant.

SRM posted:

Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking. The Independent Characters did something similar when they had Adepticon coverage a few years ago. I basically just want to be able to mount a GoPro up on my ceiling.

This was the old article I wrote about it after we did our coverage at Adepticon several years ago. I wouldn't use the same software these days as Twitch offers better solutions now.

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=1857

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 18, 2017

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Looks like the stream is up, but you have to be logged into Facebook. I'll just wait for other people online to summarize it.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Not the north east by any chance? I'll be looking for somewhere to play again with my descent back into the hobby with 8th ed.

I'm in the same boat.

C'moooon Orks be good again.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Tiger Millionaire posted:

You'd be correct mate, glad to meet some Northern Goons. I usually play at GW South Shields, though Sunderland and Newcastle are no bother for me to get to. I've heard good things about Battle Bunker Sunderland as well.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

DO IT TO IT posted:

Looks like the stream is up, but you have to be logged into Facebook. I'll just wait for other people online to summarize it.

I've got time to watch it; I'll compile some notes and post them

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Mulling over the implications of vehicles charging: does this mean Assault Vehicles (like Land Raiders) can dismount their infantry units into a combat on the turn they charge, perhaps after the charge occurs? That'd be pretty sweet.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

"Existing marines can be adapted into primaris marines"

Welp I guess we'll get upgraded SM characters and new models to encourage ppl to re-buy then :v

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I hope all the SM characters get embiggened.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

panascope posted:

I hope all the SM characters get embiggened.

You know they will mang
You just know

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ayn Marx posted:

"Existing marines can be adapted into primaris marines"

Welp I guess we'll get upgraded SM characters and new models to encourage ppl to re-buy then :v

Yeah, that part was pretty lol

So far it's just a bunch of lame fluff questions and the clear statement that they're sunsetting regular marines

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Consolidating into another combat confirmed!

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Consolidating into another combat is back motherfuckers! :orks101: :cthulhu: :getin:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Power Fists are -1 to hit now

E: You can select psychic powers now or uh, roll on a table for them if you're a loving moron (for some reason, they expect people to do this)

E2: Army-specific Detachments/Decurions aren't happening--the basic rulebook is "encompassing." Armies will have unique strategems, though

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 18, 2017

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Power Fists are -1 to hit now

E: You can select psychic powers now or uh, roll on a table for them if you're a loving moron (for some reason, they expect people to do this)

To be fair you can do the same with wargear in AoS and I've done this in pick-up games a few times just to see how it alters my play style.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Honestly I"m pretty happy I sold my unpainted stuff at a decent price before they revealed that. I can afford lotsa Bigmars from my friends at New Games Workshop now :v

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Strategem/Command Point uses:

- Select different units pre-game

- Imperial Fists have some that are good for taking down fortifications

- White Scars have some kind of Hit-and-Run rule

To be battle-forged, a detachment has to share one keyword, but it limits your strategems--if you mix space marines and sisters and IG, you can only use the basic strategems/"Imperial" strategems. If you only used space marines, you'd get access to the space marine strategems as well.

Basically you get strategems based on the keywords your detachment shares.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

New Transport info, a Transport can carry any number of units up to it's capacity. e.g. a Rhino can carry 2 5-man units or an 8 man unit and 2 characters. Keywords used in place of old Bulky type USRs.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Consolidating into another combat is back motherfuckers! :orks101: :cthulhu: :getin:

God damnit I am not going to get psyched about this, I refuse to get wicked hype for this. With all your talk of deff rollas and competent assaults...

a... afooledman...

can't get fooled again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Does anyone else feel weird about saying stratagems out loud?

• Locked thread