Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

rap music posted:

Awesome! The bathroom wallpaper is really the only I'm interested in preserving. I'd like to do a black and white nouveau theme in both restrooms.

If you're having contractors come in and remove almost all the wallpaper, paint, etc. but there's one room or one area you want preserved, trust me on this: go and get a sticky pad, write "DO NOT REMOVE" on the sticky notes, and stick one or two to every single wall/surface you want to be left alone. Do not trust that telling your general contractor verbally "...and don't take down the wallpaper in this room" will trickle down to whichever group of hammer monkeys winds up working in the vicinity of that room on that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

If you're having contractors come in and remove almost all the wallpaper, paint, etc. but there's one room or one area you want preserved, trust me on this: go and get a sticky pad, write "DO NOT REMOVE" on the sticky notes, and stick one or two to every single wall/surface you want to be left alone. Do not trust that telling your general contractor verbally "...and don't take down the wallpaper in this room" will trickle down to whichever group of hammer monkeys winds up working in the vicinity of that room on that day.

Then they'll take it to mean they shouldn't remove the sticky note and will remove everything around it.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

That seems like really great advice, thanks!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaethela posted:

Then they'll take it to mean they shouldn't remove the sticky note and will remove everything around it.

They sure will.

I have a quick question about whether my builder has done some crappy construction or normal temporary work.

There's an area of the house getting a new ceiling/floor via the help of some i-beams. The beams are fine and installed as per the engineer's spec, but the joists are framed up and holding onto the wall solely by some bolts, they're not sat on anything except the hangers on the steel. They've already levelled the joists so anything they do next won't involve removing them. Is this a) safe if it's final or b) normal temporary behaviour? What would you expect them to do next?

http://imgur.com/a/OtAfN

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

glynnenstein posted:

We had a bit of LED chat a week or so ago, but I had to change out a few bulbs at work today and they all had the same interesting heat-based failure mode.

These are Philips 10 watt MR16s that were installed in recessed down-lights with open backed fixtures but up against glass lenses. They ran for about 4-5-ish years and somewhere between 18k and 23k hours (they're supposedly designed for 24,000 hours with a 3 year warranty). Obviously heat melted the bulbs' plastic lenses over 3 of the 4 LEDs (which still work fine underneath) in the same pattern for some reason. A bunch of these bulbs had to be replaced years ago because the cooling fans inside started to whine, but these fans still work and are quiet. I wonder if there's a design issue that means one LED gets better cooling. Or maybe there's a slight imbalance or failure in the regulation to the LEDs.

You can see some heat damage to the circuit board and it's components, but it seems to still work fine enough.

i know this isn't actually a good metric for quality, but i've always had way way better luck with single-emitter lamps

...which gets spendy as poo poo at 18.5w

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baFaEvBywGc&t=450s

But it is not 400lbs worth for sure.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

Seems McMansions aren't exclusive to the US of A: https://www.finn.no/realestate/homes/ad.html?finnkode=95843087

I missed about a hundred pages of this thread so apologies if it was already posted

The shitter TV is in the wrong spot.

Also, multiple kitchens?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

kid sinister posted:

Also, multiple kitchens?

In-law suite, maybe.

Imagine if you took the money spent on ... all ... that ... and it it into custom woodwork and furniture, and say you decorated in more than "marble tile with gold trim and accents." Nah, nevermind, just barf up some more bas relief faux marble panels, guys! (The drop-off in ornamentation is hilarious, too. "Just stick the washer next to the shower, don't bother trying to disguise all the hoses or anything. Let's get this loving thing done and leave." Lots of washers in that place.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

Also, multiple kitchens?

If you get google to translate the page it turns out the house contains 4 separate apartments. 3 modest ~600 square feet 1 bedroom units, and one big one over 2000 square feet with 3 bedrooms.

quote:

The accommodation consists of 4 apartments, they consist of the following rooms division:

Apartment 1 floor with a gross area of 190 sqm:
Entrance hall, bathroom, 2x hallway, kitchen, living / dining room, 2 x bedrooms and a large and stylish bedroom with private bath and laundry room / kitchen.

Apartment 2 floor. To the west (common entrance) with a gross area of 63 sqm:
Parts of the communal hallway, hallway, bathroom, kitchen, living room and bedroom.

Apartment 2 floor. Middle (common entrance) with a gross area of 54 sqm:
Parts of the communal hallway, hallway, bathroom, kitchen, living room and bedroom.

Apartment 2 floor. To the west (separate entrance) with a gross area of 57 sqm.
Living room / kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and storeroom.

So you can live in the large engraved abomination and rent out the other three to help with the mortgage. Or use them to house the full time staff you need to keep everything dusted. Or house 3 of your elderly relatives who don't get along with you or each other.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Crappy construction: everything about The Olivebridge Cottage. :psyduck:

It's a series of blog posts. You can browse the relevant tag, or here are the posts numbered: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Now for some images to whet the appetite.

Exterior:

There are a lot of images I could post that are emblematic of how hosed‐up this house is, but I’ll tease you with this electrical wiring:

:stonk:

A year ago I posted about this cottage. I highly recommend reading those articles if you haven’t because it’s a tragicomedy masterpiece.

For Mount Saint Helens Day, I present two updates.

Olivebridge Cottage: 2.0!

Designing Olivebridge Cottage 2.0: Part 1!

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 18, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I don't believe this is correct:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

I don't believe this is correct:

They are totally not stealing power in this picture. (There might even be a reward for narcing on them, not to mention the hilarious safety concern.)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Crappy construction aside, some places have the meter inside.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

A year ago I posted about this cottage. I highly recommend reading those articles if you haven’t because it’s a tagicomedy masterpiece.

Oh god. They want to add a second story...

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

kid sinister posted:

Oh god. They want to add a second story...

"We have a small 25k budget for this project"

*time passes*

"What about a second story?"

So much for the budget I guess.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

On the other hand, if you are in the situation where you're pulling a main part of the structure all the way to the foundation and rebuilding it, that's probably the best time to decide you want to make fundamental changes, right? Better than rebuilding it and then deciding a couple years later you want to plop another level on top and start the whole terrible thing over again.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Crappy construction aside, some places have the meter inside.

Do they have the disconnect inside as well? That also doesn't look like a real service cable, just something someone rigged up.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, that's how it is in my Parent's neighborhood. Just a cable going into the wall, like in the photo but properly secured. Anyone who had service upgraded or remodeled has the meter outside.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

A year ago I posted about this cottage. I highly recommend reading those articles if you haven’t because it’s a tragicomedy masterpiece.

This was a wild ride from start to finish and I was definitely not expecting the twist ending.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I knew I recognized that toile wallpaper from your bathroom...my grandmother had it in her bedroom. She also had curtains, lampshades, and bedding in the same pattern. At some point I'll have to make an album of my grandparents' house because the decor was just nuts.

Silhouettes are of my and my brother when I was 9 and he was 2.

Edit: I got out my external hard drive just for you.

I don't care what anyone says, I love this wallpaper and this room is amazing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The gorgeous wood helps.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

Arachnamus posted:

They sure will.

I have a quick question about whether my builder has done some crappy construction or normal temporary work.

There's an area of the house getting a new ceiling/floor via the help of some i-beams. The beams are fine and installed as per the engineer's spec, but the joists are framed up and holding onto the wall solely by some bolts, they're not sat on anything except the hangers on the steel. They've already levelled the joists so anything they do next won't involve removing them. Is this a) safe if it's final or b) normal temporary behaviour? What would you expect them to do next?

http://imgur.com/a/OtAfN

I am a little curious about why all the joist hangars are sticking above the top of the the beam. They also do not have all the fasteners installed in any of them so they are clearly not done. Do the walls of the lower lever get new finishes on them, or is the plan for the brick to remain exposed? If you are getting new studs around the perimeter to attach new drywall to, then they will bear the load of the perimeter of the floor / ceiling. Or they could be using the perimeter 2x10 as a ledger, but that seems highly unlikely.
Either way they are only about 3/4 done framing that floor.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This was one of the bathrooms in my grandparents' house built in 1976.

Even after cleaning, it felt dirty. And claustrophobic.

edit: This was a jack-and-jill bathroom - so there was another matching basin area and closet adjoining to a toilet area and a large garden tub. Actual size of the bath was 12x12 and it felt like a cave.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 20, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Good choice on bathroom wallpaper, no one would even notice if you threw up on those walls!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The gorgeous wood helps.

Random-width plank floors are beautiful when they're in good shape. I'm happy to have c.1925 oak floors, but my sister's house is from the 1850s and has some really, really nice floors. I think that room might look a bit better with some wainscotting to break up the walls, but overall I fall in the "not a bad room" camp.

Man, I just looked up their house on Zillow to confirm the rough date, and they still haven't recovered original cost from the housing crash. That loving sucks. We took a hit after we bought in 2013 -- fourth-year anniversary in nine days! -- but we've recovered since then, and until I updated it a year or two back just to see what would happen Zillow's estimate ignored a good chunk of finished space. Of course, we also waterproofed the front of the house to the foundation, replaced one of the the A/C systems, etc. ... I try not to think about those costs.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I get realtors sending me letters asking to buy my house every once in a while. The few times I've bothered to follow up they always offer less than what I paid for it at the height of the housing crash. I just laugh and hang up on them.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I almost missed this! Thanks for reposting.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
My friend is getting kicked out of his rent controlled apartment and is looking to buy a place in Vancouver (lol). This is the best thing he could find in his budget. (clicky for more)

$335k for a 450 sq. ft. bachelor + 140 sq. ft. rape dungeon with a trap door you couldn't even fit a mattress down.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin. It does this when it's told.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

morethanjake32 posted:

I am a little curious about why all the joist hangars are sticking above the top of the the beam. They also do not have all the fasteners installed in any of them so they are clearly not done. Do the walls of the lower lever get new finishes on them, or is the plan for the brick to remain exposed? If you are getting new studs around the perimeter to attach new drywall to, then they will bear the load of the perimeter of the floor / ceiling. Or they could be using the perimeter 2x10 as a ledger, but that seems highly unlikely.
Either way they are only about 3/4 done framing that floor.

I asked the builder about it shortly after posting, they are indeed relying solely on those bolts to hold up the perimeter. They're fixed in with resin, fine, but it's the sheer strength I'm concerned about.

They've since added hangers all the way round so that part's done, I'm presuming they're going to trim or fold the tops of the hangers when they fit the floor.

The ground floor will be getting new plaster but here we don't usually plasterboard (drywall) on brick, it's more common to use a sand/cement render as a scratch coat. But I've not confirmed what their plans are.

Edit: also when using plasterboard on brick it tends to be via dot and dab rather than studwork, so no support there either.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 20, 2017

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I posted way more pictures in the Interior Design thread, along with pics of other rooms in the house.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

there wolf posted:

I get realtors sending me letters asking to buy my house every once in a while. The few times I've bothered to follow up they always offer less than what I paid for it at the height of the housing crash. I just laugh and hang up on them.

I got one of those three months after moving in from the realtor who did the sale.

Unfortunately my house is in pretty good shape other than need some aesthetic updates, so not fodder for this thread.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Dillbag posted:

My friend is getting kicked out of his rent controlled apartment and is looking to buy a place in Vancouver (lol). This is the best thing he could find in his budget. (clicky for more)

$335k for a 450 sq. ft. bachelor + 140 sq. ft. rape dungeon with a trap door you couldn't even fit a mattress down.

The decorator that put up the "don't leave us here" painting has a good sense of humor.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dillbag posted:

The rape dungeon bunker "basement" would be a sweet spot for me to keep my guns secure. I just don't know if I'd be able to fit as many as the guy from tremors.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Dillbag posted:

I like how the floor plan has a drumkit down there, implying that it's soundproofed. Why, I bet you could scream your lungs out and and nobody would hear a thing!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Do scratch marks from human nails provide a good gripping surface for a skim coat?

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

Arachnamus posted:

I asked the builder about it shortly after posting, they are indeed relying solely on those bolts to hold up the perimeter. They're fixed in with resin, fine, but it's the sheer strength I'm concerned about.

They've since added hangers all the way round so that part's done, I'm presuming they're going to trim or fold the tops of the hangers when they fit the floor.

The ground floor will be getting new plaster but here we don't usually plasterboard (drywall) on brick, it's more common to use a sand/cement render as a scratch coat. But I've not confirmed what their plans are.

Edit: also when using plasterboard on brick it tends to be via dot and dab rather than studwork, so no support there either.

Ok, so I took another look at the photos and is looks like there is a bolt though the perimeter ledger into the block wall about every 2'-0", which is fairly common. I just didn't see them all from the angle that the pictures were taken. Does this work have to be inspected by the local government or a 3rd party inspector at certain stages ( I assume you are not in the US). While they may not catch 100% of any screwup or omission by your builder, they do usually keep everything in line with what the engineers plans call for.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Arachnamus posted:

Do scratch marks from human nails provide a good gripping surface for a skim coat?

If they are: inside the coffin buried alive scratch marks yes, might want to fill in the deeper gouges and get any blood off first. Just general scratch marks probably still need sanding.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HERAK posted:

If they are: inside the coffin buried alive scratch marks yes, might want to fill in the deeper gouges and get any blood off first. Just general scratch marks probably still need sanding.

reclaimed coffin wood seems like the next hipster thing

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

morethanjake32 posted:

Ok, so I took another look at the photos and is looks like there is a bolt though the perimeter ledger into the block wall about every 2'-0", which is fairly common. I just didn't see them all from the angle that the pictures were taken. Does this work have to be inspected by the local government or a 3rd party inspector at certain stages ( I assume you are not in the US). While they may not catch 100% of any screwup or omission by your builder, they do usually keep everything in line with what the engineers plans call for.

Yeah the guy from the local building regulations has been inspecting it on the regular, though I've not been around for any of his visits yet.

The engineer's plans don't discuss this part which is why I don't have a frame of reference for "correct", but if the approach sounds right I trust them to have done the details right. They've filled in almost all of the hanger fixings and I'll make sure they're all there before the floor goes on.

I'm not sure I have photos for everything but this house was a wonder of shoddy work, mostly electrical. Things like running mains cables diagonally across the floor from one socket to another, on top of the carpet. Or IP?? light box on the wall at the foot of the bath which contains a shower. And the pull string for the electric shower installed inside the shower.

The kitchen with 5 layers of lino on top of tiles is a microcosm of everything else in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Arachnamus posted:

I'm not sure I have photos for everything but this house was a wonder of shoddy work, mostly electrical. Things like running mains cables diagonally across the floor from one socket to another, on top of the carpet. Or IP?? light box on the wall at the foot of the bath which contains a shower. And the pull string for the electric shower installed inside the shower.

The kitchen with 5 layers of lino on top of tiles is a microcosm of everything else in the house.

That electrical is potentially terrifying and you should take plenty of pictures both for this thread and your insurance. Also make sure you have a copy of your builders insurance, then google the number for the agency to make sure it's a legit policy.

5 layers of lino on top of tiles is sort of par for the course, but you forgot that those tiles are probably asbestos. :v: