Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

always be closing posted:

I liked the Guy Ritchie interview for at least the first two hours. Guy is a Gi player like myself, so it was great to see that represented on the show, as opposed to Joe and Eddie's dogmatic denouncement of the garment.

I'm pretty sure the extent of his "dogmatic denouncement of the garment" is that it's less practical. I've never heard him actively crap on the gi and he praises tons of gi players on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Is the guy Ritchie mostly about BJJ stuff? if so I'll watch it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What's the ratio of BJJ to Fritz Haber/decorticator/SJW pissing and moaning?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Odddzy posted:

Is the guy Ritchie mostly about BJJ stuff? if so I'll watch it.

I'd say about half

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Seltzer posted:

I'd say about half

Yeah it's a solid episode.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed yesterdays fight companion.

Hopefully in the future rogan figures out how to take multiple callers

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Yeah, it was very cool. Tony is awesome.

I actually saw some clips of that press conference, and DC didnt look or sound cool at all, really forced and corny. But hes Joe's buddy so i get it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

always be closing posted:

Yeah, it was very cool. Tony is awesome.

I actually saw some clips of that press conference, and DC didnt look or sound cool at all, really forced and corny. But hes Joe's buddy so i get it.

He was making a joke about the Graham Hancock episode...

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Who was the comic Steve-o was talking about giving him a hard time on stage at the beginning of the podcast ?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Al madrigal

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It's a lot of comics tbh. Dave Stone shits on him all the time on the boogie monster podcast.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Unless Steve - O has done something to them personally, it's an extremely lovely attitude that reeks of insecurity. It's funny, I listened to the Maron podcast with Rogan and Maron said he was super annoyed at Joe doing comedy at first because get this..... Joe was in good physical shape. So it's most likely an oldschool mentality "he's not one of us, hasn't paid his dues" mixed with the natural insecurity most comics self admittedly have.

The Maron Rogan podcast was interesting because their conversation on Joe's show was cordial and fine then on marks show it seemed like Mark still harbored resentment towards Joe. He went on like a 30 minute tirade trying to get Joe to admit that he had a hand in "the permanent dumbing down of American culture" because of his involvement in the Man Show and Fear Factor. Joe never budged on it and said that the Man Show was overshadowed by the previous iteration and ruined by lots of meddling from the network, and fear factor was a good way to get high and get a nice payday. Mark kept acting like he was an accessory to the destruction of American culture. In a much later episode with Louis Theroux he seemed derisive towards JRE and tried to get Theroux to take a snipe at it which he didn't. I really can't stand Maron and only listen when he has on a very compelling guest which is about three times a year for me.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 18, 2017

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Notice how it's only no name/unsuccessful comics who are upset about steve o

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

BUT STAND UP COMEDY IS MY TRUE CALLING IN LIFE AND HES DEVALUING IT BY DOING IT ALSO

prick.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I never found Rogan or Maron to be great at standup to be honest. Probably why they are in the podcast "game".

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I thought Rogan's last special was legit good. The ones before were watchable, if you already liked the guy.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Rogan's last special was loving great.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

To Battle posted:

I never found Rogan or Maron to be great at standup to be honest. Probably why they are in the podcast "game".

Rogan strikes me as someone who just wants to have long talks for three hours and share his crazy theories/interests with people.

For Maron podcasts are therapy, which is fine because he is funny.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I only listen to Maron when he has a guest on I want to listen to, and it always seems like he's unfamiliar with who they are and what they've done/do. The Louis Theroux episode someone mentioned was like that, IIRC. At least Joe has on people he wants to talk to rather than people booked for promotional purposes.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Seltzer posted:

Unless Steve - O has done something to them personally, it's an extremely lovely attitude that reeks of insecurity. It's funny, I listened to the Maron podcast with Rogan and Maron said he was super annoyed at Joe doing comedy at first because get this..... Joe was in good physical shape. So it's most likely an oldschool mentality "he's not one of us, hasn't paid his dues" mixed with the natural insecurity most comics self admittedly have.

The Maron Rogan podcast was interesting because their conversation on Joe's show was cordial and fine then on marks show it seemed like Mark still harbored resentment towards Joe. He went on like a 30 minute tirade trying to get Joe to admit that he had a hand in "the permanent dumbing down of American culture" because of his involvement in the Man Show and Fear Factor. Joe never budged on it and said that the Man Show was overshadowed by the previous iteration and ruined by lots of meddling from the network, and fear factor was a good way to get high and get a nice payday. Mark kept acting like he was an accessory to the destruction of American culture. In a much later episode with Louis Theroux he seemed derisive towards JRE and tried to get Theroux to take a snipe at it which he didn't. I really can't stand Maron and only listen when he has on a very compelling guest which is about three times a year for me.

Yeah, that's Maron. He's a self aware, super insecure, jealous nutjob. He's like that all the time with everyone. There's a video of Patrice O'Neal beating him on stage because he wouldn't stop self righteously making GBS threads on him. He didn't talk to Louis ck for years because he couldn't handle Louie's success. John Stewart still won't talk to him because Maron teased him relentlessly for having the gall to host a successful TV show.

There is a part of Maron that feels that R ogan is a stupid jock with no business engaging in the high art of standup. He's aware that its dumb as gently caress, but its still how he feels and sometimes it still gets the better of him.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Saw Joe Rogan live on 4.20 and his act was good.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
maron is an insufferable, neurotic weirdo. his show is only good by virtue of whoever is on it, and the fact that he thinks anyone wants to hear his 20 minute stream of consciousness garbage at the start of an episode is proof enough of that

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I listen to his rants, largely because I'm also aware of the fact that I'm self-absorbed

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

hiddenmovement posted:

Yeah, that's Maron. He's a self aware, super insecure, jealous nutjob. He's like that all the time with everyone. There's a video of Patrice O'Neal beating him on stage because he wouldn't stop self righteously making GBS threads on him. He didn't talk to Louis ck for years because he couldn't handle Louie's success. John Stewart still won't talk to him because Maron teased him relentlessly for having the gall to host a successful TV show.

There is a part of Maron that feels that R ogan is a stupid jock with no business engaging in the high art of standup. He's aware that its dumb as gently caress, but its still how he feels and sometimes it still gets the better of him.

That CK episode was great, specifically when Louis says that above all, Maron was just a lovely friend. He isn't saying it to hurt him, but he says it because he needs Maron to know that cutting someone off because you're jealous of their success makes you a lovely person.

I generally like Maron's show but his lack of research is pretty annoying. I get his reasoning sometimes that he would just rather learn about guests work from the guest, but then they reference something and he has to get them to explain it anyway. I feel like half of the Louis Theroux episode is him just explaining poo poo that Maron should know.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

maron is a momo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

It's amazing how many "big name" guests he gets yet how disinterested I am in listening to them. Rogan manages to give me 3 hours of entertainment from "coyote guy" and "coffee guy"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Coyote guy is awesome though, probably because it's not the same dull "craft of comedy" poo poo you get when it's a comedian talking to a comedian

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

DrVenkman posted:

I generally like Maron's show but his lack of research is pretty annoying. I get his reasoning sometimes that he would just rather learn about guests work from the guest, but then they reference something and he has to get them to explain it anyway. I feel like half of the Louis Theroux episode is him just explaining poo poo that Maron should know.

He generally does do research on musicians, but I don't think he does a great job with the entertainment/comedy guests.

I think Maron really wanted to be a musical icon.

It's weird but I only really listen to Maron's or Rogan's podcast when I'm familiar with the guest, but for completely different reasons.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

JGdmn posted:

He generally does do research on musicians, but I don't think he does a great job with the entertainment/comedy guests.

I think Maron really wanted to be a musical icon.

It's weird but I only really listen to Maron's or Rogan's podcast when I'm familiar with the guest, but for completely different reasons.

He's so hit and miss. Like he had an interview recently with Anne Hathaway and seemed to know everything about her career, likewise Walter Hill (Though he does an annoying thing where he'll get someone like Hill or William Friedkin on and say something like "So you made The Exorcist, does that still hold up?". Like, what does he expect them to say?) but then he'll have someone else on and barely know a thing about them, like when he couldn't hide his very obvious disappointment upon learning that Hayley Joel Osment had good parents and an ordinary life and didn't go off the rails, something he probably could've learned if he just googled the guys name.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was watching the Jordan Peterson clips and that guy doesn't seem as intelligent as people make him out to be. He just kind of rambles on until he half makes a point and then will immediately discount that point by saying that he's not saying it's true or not. I could not parse what that dude was trying to say. Maybe he is going over my head but really what was he talking about.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Joe sat in with the Mommies this week.

Any of you JRE fans who aren't already on team jeans should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvMtbFM3Dw

Has a nice mix of familiar Joe Rogan conversation mixed with goofy YMH humor and clips.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 24, 2017

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Surprised no one is talking about the Hancock/Rogan/Carlson vs. Schermer shitshow. Holy poo poo Rogan was a dick in this one, and I thought Hancock was going to start crying.

"Have you ever been to Giza?"
"No"
"Oh dear"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I actually enjoyed it. Although it showed Joe getting too close to the fire - i think 60% of their nerd talk went over his head. I like that they were trying to arrange their own podcast/conversation on his podcast though.

But yeah, it was a bit pointless. Like the 911 ep -lite.
More prehistory and conspiracies!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
gently caress you I'm citing Klaus Schmidt.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
The Hancock/Carlson/Schermer episode taught me way more about how those guys feel about each other than anything in their fields of expertise.

Hancock was very obviously coming from a deeply personal level right from the start, but that might have been perfectly reasonable for him, I don't know enough about his situation to say.

Rogan was also clearly in support of Hancock, the self-described reporter, versus the scientists, but for the most part Joe stayed out of the conversation so I don't think that we a problem.

It was a really neat episode, and it could not have come at a more ironic time than immediately following an episode with Steve-O.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The_Rob posted:

I was watching the Jordan Peterson clips and that guy doesn't seem as intelligent as people make him out to be. He just kind of rambles on until he half makes a point and then will immediately discount that point by saying that he's not saying it's true or not. I could not parse what that dude was trying to say. Maybe he is going over my head but really what was he talking about.

Peterson is not operating from a materialist philosophical epistemology, but rather an idealist/pragmatic epistemology. The latter is way way more abstract, and the danger of abstraction is the temptation to obscurantism. I think he does his best to avoid that.

Spend a couple of years reading Lacan or some postmodernists and he'll be a refreshing breath of clarity and coherence.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Outside of the Global Warming logic being completely out to lunch, the Michael Malice episode was pretty loving great.

Peterson is a fear mongering oval office and has managed to dupe a lot of dumb people with lovely logic.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Mike malice was awesome, I bought the audiobook it's presented like the legend of Kim jong il.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Graham Hancock is moron.

e: And Jordan Peterson is really observant but seems to always make some silly conclusion

barkbell fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

J. Peterson is a very poor man's Joey Cam. whats happening weirdos