Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

For :laffo: context I should mention that this is a thread wherein OP explains how he maintains his vaping habit while living in a homeless shelter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

therobit posted:

I noticed he did jot mention how she is becoming a different person at all, just that she is. I bet pregnancy grosses him out. If so he's a shitheel.

He never specifies, so it's always possible that she is going full-on pinterest mommyblogger attachment-parenting insufferable, but yeah, it's most likely he doesn't just want to gently caress her.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

My [23 F] best friend and roommate [23 F] got angry and hit me because I wouldn't chop her an onion.

quote:

This is probably the silliest thing I've ever posted on reddit about. It's embarrassing, hence the throwaway. I would also like to state that Jessica has never really acted like this before and that I am not the type to let someone walk all over me. I try to be polite and understanding, but I do not let people abuse my kindness.

My best friend Jessica and I have known each other since middle school. We both went to the same university and got an apartment together after graduating. This is our first time living together because we used to have single dorm rooms and never had to worry about it before.

I am a picky eater, but I do not think I am too bad about it. I don't like large pieces of onions or other pungent foods such as shallots. They hurt my eyes and the taste is just way too overwhelming if I bite into them. If I am cooking for someone else and the recipe calls for onions, I will either use tiny pieces or onion powder. If someone else cooks for me, I just eat around the onions. I'm picky, but it's not like I will straight up refuse to eat a dish just because it has onions in it.
Jessica is a picky eater in her own way, but she is a fan of onions and she likes them enough that she can eat them raw on a salad. She also likes them on her tacos and on burgers. What she doesn't like is tomatoes and she will refuse to eat pizza if it has sauce on it.

Last night, I decided that I was going to make some tacos. I made the taco meat, heated the tortillas, and I had chopped some lettuce and tomatoes and put them in bowls for toppings. I also had cheese and sour cream in little bowls so the whole idea was a 'make your own' taco dish. Knowing that Jessica likes onions, I went ahead and bought her one and left it on the counter. I wasn't going to chop the onion because they usually make my eyes hurt so bad that I feel it for hours afterward (and yes, I know the bowl of water trick and the chewing gum trick, I'm just super sensitive to onions) and I also wasn't sure if Jessica even wanted the onion on her tacos.

After the food was cooked, I texted Jessica to come down and check it out. She came downstairs and got very upset with me when she saw there wasn't an onion. I handed her the onion in the bag and said, "I know you like them, so I bought one for you. If you go ahead and chop it, I'll get a bowl down for you." Jessica just stared at me and snatched the bag from my hand and started bitching (and I mean bitching, because she was very passive aggressive and was muttering under her breath at me) about having to do all the work. I was a bit flabbergasted and didn't know how to respond, so I just said, "Well, okay then...." and went back to cleaning up the kitchen.

Jessica kept bitching at me and was asking me why I couldn't just chop the onion myself since I had already done everything else. I started getting annoyed and responded that they make my eyes hurt, but "If you really want the drat onion chopped to just hand it to me and I'll do it for you." Jessica then proceeded to take the onion in the bag and basically used the bag to swing the onion in a circle and hit me with the onion. She did it with enough force that it felt like a softball hitting me in the back and I can feel a mild bruise (but it isn't visible).

Besides feeling like, "What the gently caress just happened?", I got angry at Jessica and left the house and got Taco Bell instead. I spent the night at my guy friend's house and then came back this morning and Jessica pretended like nothing happened, then she left for gym class all happy. When I went into my bedroom to lie down, I found the onion cut in half and under my pillow.

Reddit, I feel like I am in some sort of comedy right now, except it isn't very funny and now my bedsheets smell like onions. How the hell do I handle this without coming off like a petty teenager?

tl;dr: Best friend and I moved in together. I don't like to eat onions because they hurt my eyes, best friend loves onions. I made tacos and bought her an onion for the topping, but didn't chop it. Best friend gets pissed off at me for not chopping the onion and throws the onion at me. I leave and spend the night at a guy's house, come back home and the onion is cut in half and underneath my pillow. My bed smells like onions now and I don't know how to handle this.

I decided to keyword search by "taco bell" and found one in which a girl's roommate uses a goddamn onion in a bag as a morning star to belt her in the face. :black101:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Well hey on the upside that'll drain out all the toxins in her room

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Frito Pie is what happens when a manwich has diarrhea on stale tortilla chips

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I'm convinced half the sweet potato hate in the world exists because people don't loving know how to cook sweet potatoes. Line a sheet pan with foil, rub the potatoes with a little olive oil, don't stick holes in them or anything dumb, toss a lil kosher salt on there, and roast at 425°F for 45 min or until black sugar-tar starts to ooze out the ends. They turn into caramelized custard with a rich dark flavor and hints of coffee, benefit from a dollop of butter but don't have to have it, and lose the pasty chalky stringiness that makes you gag and reach for any other food on the table.

I'm having leftovers of this for breakfast this morning. It's so loving good and easy to make. If you've never had them this way, you owe yourself.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yawgmoth posted:

How can you be so incredibly wrong in so few words

sweet potato best potato

No it's like the loving cabbage of lettuce. :colbert:

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

NomChompsky posted:

My [23 F] best friend and roommate [23 F] got angry and hit me because I wouldn't chop her an onion.

I decided to keyword search by "taco bell" and found one in which a girl's roommate uses a goddamn onion in a bag as a morning star to belt her in the face. :black101:
To me it seemed like cutting the onion in half and putting it under the pillow is what pushed it over the edge from childish and stupid to literally insane behavior. It's just such a weird thing to even think of doing. I'd be looking for other living arrangements after that.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

elise the great posted:

I'm convinced half the sweet potato hate in the world exists because people don't loving know how to cook sweet potatoes. Line a sheet pan with foil, rub the potatoes with a little olive oil, don't stick holes in them or anything dumb, toss a lil kosher salt on there, and roast at 425°F for 45 min or until black sugar-tar starts to ooze out the ends. They turn into caramelized custard with a rich dark flavor and hints of coffee, benefit from a dollop of butter but don't have to have it, and lose the pasty chalky stringiness that makes you gag and reach for any other food on the table.

I'm having leftovers of this for breakfast this morning. It's so loving good and easy to make. If you've never had them this way, you owe yourself.

Man, I did this a while ago with canola oil and cutting them up, and yeah, even like that they were awesome.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

No it's like the loving cabbage of lettuce. :colbert:

Whaaaat, cabbage is brassica, lettuce is NOT brassica.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I [26F] think the guy I am dating [37M] abuses his cats. He says it is training, need perspective.

quote:

I met this man on the internet a few months ago. Everything is going great so far and there doesn't seem to be a lot of red flags aside from strange anger at certain things, notably his cats and their perceived misbehavior. An incident happened last night that has frightened me.

To start, he has what he calls "booby traps" around his apartment to scare or deter the cats from doing things like jumping on counters or the couch or the bed. They spray condensed air, shock them, or make loud noises to scare them. He says he has conditioned them to not be on the furniture while he is away. I do not currently have a cat but I have owned cats most my life and this seems cruel to me. I always loved snuggling up with my cats on the couch and in bed and can't understand it.

Last night one of the cats jumped up on the couch because I was petting her. It is cold here and I think she wanted to snuggle up like cats do. He immediately became irate and screamed at the cat, who hid under the couch, which she is apparently not allowed to do. He went to the other room and brought out a Nerf gun that he used to shoot at her until he could force her out. He then hit her and locked her in the shower.

I felt this sick feeling in my gut. I made an excuse to go home and told myself that I cannot see him again. I have been avoiding him. At first I thought it was just strict rules but I think this takes it up a level and I am not sure what to do. Besides not seeing him, I am concerned about the cats and wonder if there is any way to help them get away.
tl;dr: Guy does weird things to his cats to "train" them, is this in any way normal?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pick posted:

Whaaaat, cabbage is brassica, lettuce is NOT brassica.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

dudeness posted:

I [26F] think the guy I am dating [37M] abuses his cats. He says it is training, need perspective.

the guy I knew who would shoot airsoft at his cats unsurprisingly beat his gf.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nah imma keep on posting, you can keep on being a giant unfunny doofus

bitch

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

dudeness posted:

This guy is a shithead.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bamabalacha posted:

http://torontolife.com/city/crime/brilliant-neurosurgeon-beloved-family-doctor-untold-story-volatile-marriage/

An incredibly depressing read about how one half of a perfect looking "power couple" of doctors was found murdered in a suitcase.

This story is basically r/relationships thread: The Outcome

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

]Should I [34F] tell my fiancé [M36] of three years the real reason my finger is messed up?Relationships
submitted 55 minutes ago by Fuckedupfinger

My fiancé, Brian, and I have very recently become engaged. He bought me a perfect ring and put it on a necklace chain, because I lost my ring finger in an accident several years ago.

Except I didn't lose my finger in an accident. I lost my finger from a very deliberate attack when I tried to leave an extremely abusive boyfriend I had throughout my twenties.

I won't go too far in detail, I went to the hospital, testified, he went to jail and I left that part of the country forever.

After a few years and alot of therapy, I was able to start dating again, and I met Brian. Brian was sweet, he was gentle, he was handsome, and he was the first male I really felt safe around in years. Of course the question of my finger did eventually come up, and I just told him I lost it in an accident. I think he got the hint that I wasn't comfortable sharing, because he never pressed for more information after that.

Brian knows I was abused before, and he knows it got pretty bad. I never told him about the finger, though. I guess I was humiliated by it when we met, and still am, to a certain extent.

But now with the wedding ring and all, it's kind of pushed the thought of my lost finger back into the front of my mind. Part of me feels....dishonest, I suppose, that I never told Brian why my finger is really missing. I've always justified by telling myself that I wasn't lying because it really was an accident......it was an accident ever being with a guy like that. But I still have this feeling that I'm hiding something from him.

Brian is going to be my husband. I don't want to hide things from him. But I don't want to freak him out with it, either. I don't want to upset him or make him feel like I didn't trust him enough to tell him the whole truth. What should I do?
tl;dr: I never told my fiancé that I lost my ring finger as a result of abuse. I feel like I owe it to him to do so before we are married, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Former FWB (25 M) and present best friend asked to watch Me (27 F) and My BF(26 M) while we had sex, refuses to keep in contact after watching us [Non-Romantic]

quote:

Hi. This is a unique scenario. Well atleast new to me!

2 years ago I hooked up with a guy I met on OKC, we were FWBS for a few months, we stayed on as friends and he became my best friend along the way. I feel super comfortable with him, my family knows him and keeps in touch with him, he is invited to all of our gatherings and important family occasions.

He expressed his desire recently, to watch me have sex with someone else on FaceTime. I was hesitant at first, but he managed to convince me.

My current BF was okay with it and 2 days ago we decided to do it. We switched the FaceTime and did the deed as he watched. It was quite a bit of fun I will admit. Our lovemaking was intense and extremely satisfying. After, we slept off.

I woke up to 105 calls from my friend. I dialled back immediately. He said that he hated the way I was behaving, like why did I have to give him several blowjobs and why I rode him. Why I was acting like a love struck teenager eager to make love, he commented on how my BF wasn't into it and I was forcing myself on him. He said the intimacy was disgusting and called me a whore.

I was taken aback, i couldn't process why he was saying such weird things. He said he was "done" with me and blocked me everywhere. I have been trying to reach out and understand what happened over email, he has apparently blocked me there too.

I am at my wits end, I don't know what I did to anger him? I miss my friend, but he is being unreasonable, right ?

TLDR: Ex FWB and best friend wanted to watch me have sex. Watched, behaved belligerently and ended all ties with me, leaving me confused.

Non-romantic tag :lol:

Mostly people just point out how dumb this was and that he hopefully didnt record it.

quote:

Not to brag, but he knows I am well connected; that means a lot in India. He would suffer a lot if he messed with me.

:cripes:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My [25/F] boyfriend [28/M] is allergic to cats. I have a cat and he won't get allergy shots.

quote:

Hey everyone, I'm really an emotional mess right now and could really use some advice. I apologize for the length.

My boyfriend and I have been together about 1.5 years and our relationship started out great. While I maybe should've thought about this beforehand, my boyfriend is allergic to cats. He's actually allergic to a lot of things including grass and certain pollens but especially to cats. Despite his allergy, he is extremely thoughtful and has a wonderful sense of humor. We got along great for about the first eight months and fell very hard for each other. We have since become rather serious and discussed making long-term plans.

Now, I adopted a very sickly cat about two years ago. I nursed him back to health and we've obviously become very attached. My cat does require a lot of attention and is pretty needy, but is generally very friendly and affectionate even with strangers.

To give some background, I've had a minimum of at least three cats and three dogs, but up to five cats and eight dogs, my entire life. I've also raised chickens, parakeets, guinea pigs, mice, etc. and so I'm very used to and enjoy the company of animals. My boyfriend, on the other hand, never had any animals until he adopted a dog about six months ago (he loves dogs now). He never really had too much interaction with cats before we started dating, either. Also his mother is deathly afraid of cats, if that's relevant. She's actually said if we have kids that she guess she wouldn't be able to ever see her grandkids, assuming I kept my cat.

Originally, my boyfriend favored moving in together after marriage. I, on the other hand, prefer living with somebody before engagement and marriage because I feel like you learn a lot about a person once you live with them. However, we've talked about moving in together in December of this year and both seem to be on board. Naturally we discussed whether or not he, being allergic to cats, can live with a cat. I originally told him months ago that I would always live with a cat, whether it is the cat I have now or just generally cats in the future. I just love cats. During this initial conversation he put me giving up my card on the table which I fiercely took off the table. This resulted in a fight that we couldn't solve.

In order to find a solution, we went to a couples therapist who recommended that he get allergy shots. My boyfriend ended up going to an allergist who was well reviewed but too far for him to make allergy shot appointments once or twice a week. So after a couple months of maybe three allergy shots total, my boyfriend transferred to an allergist that was closer to his work. He got a couple more allergy shots there, but soon decided that he was putting forth too much effort and commitment that was not being matched by me. He said that he was putting forth time and effort to get the shot, but it was my cat and I wasn't really doing anything. Now for context, before we decided that he would get allergy shots, and still when he comes over now, I deep clean my apartment anytime before he comes over. I even remind him to take his allergy medicine before hand. I bought special hand towels for him to use since he thinks that mine have cat hair on them and a $100 air purifier that also could help with his allergies.

So after another trip to the couples therapist, he expressed to me that he would like me to pay for half of his allergy shots. That way we are both making an equal financial commitment to each other. While I very much disagree with having to pay for another person's medical care, I agreed for his sake. While my boyfriend had spent probably $1000 in allergy shots for the vials in appointments, he said in therapy that 90% of the reason that he wanted me to pay was because of the commitment and showed and not the money itself.

It's been four weeks since I agreed to pay for half of his allergy shots and he has not gotten a single one. I brought this to his attention on Sunday and he reluctantly told me that he just can't see himself living with a cat. He was told by his old allergist that he could see results after six months but since then has come to the realization that it may be closer to 3 to 5 years before he wouldn't be allergic to cats.

So after agreeing to get allergy shots, he backpedaled and decided I needed to pay for half. Then he has since backpedaled again and decided he won't get allergy shots. This is basically put me in a position where I have to choose between living with my boyfriend anytime in the future and living with my cat. While it concerns me that my boyfriend keeps backpedaling on his word, and it makes me question his true commitment level to me, I'm very torn. I love my boyfriend very much and I can see myself living the rest of my life with him. However I really love my cat and just love cats in general.

I just don't know what to do.

If it matters, we also have a lot of other issues that either need to be worked out through a couples counselor or through his own individual therapist. I feel like I'm hesitant to give up my cat when we also have a lot of other issues. He also only comes to my apartment about once a month, while I go to his apartment 3 to 4 times a week.

Do you think it's worth giving up an animal to live with a significant other? Thanks in advance for your advice Reddit.

tl;dr: my boyfriend originally said that he would get allergy shots. Then, he said I would need to pay for half of the allergy shots. Now, five months later, he's gotten only five allergy shots and decided that he won't get anymore. I will have to give up my cat to live with him in the future. What to do?

:sever:

I actually went through allergy shots for cats (plus pollen and other stuff). Within 6 months of consistently attending once a week I was too a point my symptoms were greatly reduced. If a partner had been willing to keep the cat out of the bedroom I probably could have lived with a cat with no ill effects. This guy is a total tool.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

Former FWB (25 M) and present best friend asked to watch Me (27 F) and My BF(26 M) while we had sex, refuses to keep in contact after watching us [Non-Romantic]

One page ago.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Sweet potatoes are one of gods mistakes imo.

sato imo

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

Should I [34F] tell my fiancé [M36] of three years the real reason my finger is messed up?Relationships

I don't think she needs to go into explicit detail, but saying she had an abusive ex who caused it's loss might be a good thing to bring up. I'd be a little hurt if my future wife wouldn't share something like that. Especially since there's a small but nonzero chance this guy may re-appear. That's the kind of thing to factor in when making decisions like "should be keep a gun in our home?"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Saros posted:

Non-romantic tag :lol:

Mostly people just point out how dumb this was and that he hopefully didnt record it.

:cripes:

Posted within the last three or four pages.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

maskenfreiheit posted:

My [25/F] boyfriend [28/M] is allergic to cats. I have a cat and he won't get allergy shots.

:sever:

I actually went through allergy shots for cats (plus pollen and other stuff). Within 6 months of consistently attending once a week I was too a point my symptoms were greatly reduced. If a partner had been willing to keep the cat out of the bedroom I probably could have lived with a cat with no ill effects. This guy is a total tool.

Those shots are a lifetime commitment, right? Not asking because of the story, but because my wife has a ton of allergies (including pollen and cats).

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Me [33 M], seeking advice for obtaining virtual girlfriend

quote:

I am a busy person who doesn't have time to spend in a relationship right now. Does anyone have experience with virtual girlfriends (digital, artificial intelligence) ? Can anyone recommend software and or programs for PC? I am sincere. Thanks in advance.

tl;dr: Need recommendations from those experienced for obtaining a virtual girlfriend.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

blarzgh posted:

One page ago.

Good enough to post again

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

blarzgh posted:

quote:
well uh hopefully he didnt record it

quote:
Oh my god.

gently caress, people are soooooooooooooooooooooo dumb.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Those shots are a lifetime commitment, right? Not asking because of the story, but because my wife has a ton of allergies (including pollen and cats).

You have to do them for a few years, and probably again a few years after you stop. But not all the time for the rest of your life, no.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

NomChompsky posted:

This is great. Old severed onion in your bed really sealed it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

NomChompsky posted:

I support Jessica in her mad quest to purge the world of onion haters. I'm not sure why hating the aromatic base for the majority of meals I cook is any more socially acceptable than eating paskettis and ketchup for every meal, and I am tired of making GBS threads up my recipes to accommodate these people :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dudeness posted:

Me [33 M], seeking advice for obtaining virtual girlfriend

Think about this, this man is so pathetic he needs tips on how to approach and pick up virtual girls.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'd like to imagine he's from some cyberpunk alternate reality where virtual girlfriends are tightly regulated by the Turing police.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Clark Nova posted:

I support Jessica in her mad quest to purge the world of onion haters. I'm not sure why hating the aromatic base for the majority of meals I cook is any more socially acceptable than eating paskettis and ketchup for every meal, and I am tired of making GBS threads up my recipes to accommodate these people :colbert:

I like how one hates onions and the other hates tomatoes, if you had to pick two ingredients that really narrow your options down it'd be hard to come up with better choices.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Edit^^^ Ask me about my bell pepper allergy.

Clark Nova posted:

It doesn't even sound like she hates onions, just that cutting them up causes her issues for a longer period of time than normal. I wonder if she wears contacts...

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's my understanding a session of six months is not infinite, but lasts decently long... about 5 years. Some people have them return, some don't. Your body is weird I suspect being able to go out into nature and stuff is building up a natural immunity on top of the drugs.

I'd consider it more line an allergy IUD rather than an allergy vasectomy.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Clark Nova posted:

I'd like to imagine he's from some cyberpunk alternate reality where virtual girlfriends are tightly regulated by the Turing police.

Janelle Monae has recorded three loving albums on that premise, this guy is a goddamn visionary is what he is.

HELP. My (28F) future brother in law (31M) hates me after he overheard an argument between me and my fiance (28M).He called me the N word. All I ever wanted was my fiance's family to like me and approve of me and the marriage. Now I am afraid everything has been ruined. How to fix it? Relationships

quote:

414 points 111 comments submitted 1 year ago by SoulMan77 to r/relationships

Hey everyone. I am typing pretty fast and feeling pretty anxious and sad so please forgive me for spelling and grammatical errors and if something doesnt make sense please ask. Ive just been really depressed about this whole thing, and I need to talk to somebody about it... And ask for advice.

Also, heres hoping that nobody I know uses reddit or anyone from the party who witnessed what happened. Is there way to make this private only to people who have actual accounts on reddit? i am not sure how this works.

Background: Okay so I have been with my fiance since we met in our fourth year of college. I am black, he is white. Yes this matters somewhat for later on... All my life I have had to work very hard to get where I want to go and things have not always come to me easily, coming from a low income household and having to work my way out of that and into betters things. I now have a great job that I love and even though Im not exactly bringing in a six figure income, Im proud of all my accomplishments and how I was able to get out of basically a ghetto neighborhood of low income/poverty and get to where I am now through hard work.

Now my fiance, Nick, comes from a completely different background. He grew up in a well to do home, upper middle class, and has always been priviledged and had things handed to him. Which honestly, is perfectly fine in my opinion. We all come from different backgrounds and there is not much we can do about where we are born into right? Nonetheless a scholarship to my dream school and fate led me to my soon to be husband :)

We have never really experienced any sort of judgement for being a mixed couple. But I have always been worried about my fiances family approving of me. It sounds bad but I was worried they would judge me for my background. But they have always seemed to accept me regardless of my background, which i am sure they know about from asking my fiance questions, but they have never asked me any questions directly. None of them ever seemed to have a problem with me being black either, which believe or not was actually a concern of mine because i have witnessed a lot of racism in my life. i have gotten pretty much desensitised to it. But there is just a ighthearted joke here and there from the father in law about our future babies being mixed and looking like cute little milk chocolate hersheys drops haha.

Now my fiance has quite a lot of siblings (8 )and one of them is a brother, Jonathon, who is a bit older (36 M) whom i have literally only seen once before three years ago at a wedding for like five minutes. He was in the military and moved around a lot until he was dishonorable discharged. (i have no idea what the story is behind that so please dont ask because my fiance does not talk about it) He then moved to another state. So he is rarely seen anymore. I think he may also be the black sheep of the family, but i have never really gotten the whole story so im not sure. I guess nobody in the family approved of his decisions after he dropped out of college and joined the military, because they felt it was a way for him to escape from the world and responsiblity and having a job. He never did well in school and so everyone felt he was just running away from the adult world. (Keep in mind this is a family of doctors and lawyers and even a couple engineers) And while he was in the military, he started smoking and drinking heavily, and "got involved in some very dangerous and risky situations" - im literally remembering this from a conversation years ago between me my fiance and his parents about the brother... one of the only ones about him.

So, now onto the main part of it. Last week my soon to be mother in law was having a birthday, and me, Nick, Nicks father, and some of my Nicks siblings were planning a surprise party for her. While it was very fun to do this and helped me feel closer to the family, it also was kind of a stressful situation with everything that the family wanted to be done and such. Which i did not mind at all. It just felt like we were planning some elaborate wedding or something, that is how much went into it.

I was not in charge of the guest list, but Jonathon was invited. From what i have heard there is one sister in the family who always invites Jonathon in hopes that he will come and it will repair the family dynamic. Sometimes he comes, but it is rare. Also he is known to drink too much at parties and keeps to himself. Well he came to the party.

I didnt even notice him however, among the general chaos of getting everything arranged that day and trying to greet people and have their needs attended to. until what happened.

nick and i were in the kitchen getting food prepared and we had a minor spat about the details of something being messed up... Keep in mind both of us were pretty stressed that day with everything and i think we were both just tired. Nick said that he wished sometimes that i would listen to him and not criticise him as much and i said that i wished he would not ignore me and pretend like i didnt exist whenever he was upset with me. Out of stress and anger i said that Nick needed to figure out how to better control his emotions and his anger sometimes. So we just were kind of having a little fight in the kitchen privately, away from the guests and the party. It was nothing major, just one of those fights that happen when both of you are stressed and snap.

Well Jonathon apparently was listening in on the conversation. There was alcohol being served at the party and my guess is that he had way too much to drink (?) my fiance and i came out of the kitchen once the little spat was over and we both basically said "okay lets just get through today and talk about this tonight". Well we came out of the kitchen and all of a sudden literally out of nowhere Jonathon comes out from one of the hallways (i was so shocked to see him I gasped, and also shocked because he was wearing camouflage pants, boots, and a black long sleeve t shirt, and he had knives hanging from his belt, which is obviouslt vastly different than what i expected anyone to be wearing at the party ) and in front of the entire group of party guests he starts ranting at my brother about how he heard everything and he starts yelling at nick for being a spineless pussy putting up with a weak woman and basically calling Nick a pushover who lets himself be controlled by a woman. it was the weirdest thing I have ever witnessed. Jon was kind of just wobbling around holding a beer in his hand spouting out all this random stuff and slurring his words and sometimes he would randomly start laughing. Nick and i tried to control the situation and Nick was like "You need to stop this right now and come with me upstairs so we can about this in private" Well it was then that Jonathon completely lost it. Right then and there he verbally attacked me, shouting, screaming at the top of his lungs, and then threw his beer bottle to the ground where it shattered and one of the shards hit my leg and gave a me a slight cut, nothing too bad though but there was a lot of blood. I think he called me the N word at least three or four times and screamed WHY ARE YOU DATING A BLACK so loud and dramatically that i am positive the neighbors heard. Two of the guests managed to get ahold of Jonathon and drag him out of the house, and as they were dragging him outself of the house he punched a wall and pissed on the floor. all of this happened in i would say 3-4 minutes. everyone was so stunned we all just stood there.

Everyone was staring at me. i bled all over the carpets and I was so embarassed I started crying, and I could feel everyone's judgement at the party. Some people were even laughing, but Nick's family seemed mortified and his mother came over to me and helped me with my wound and apologized for her sons behavior. Her and her husband said it might be best if I went to the hospital in case the cut was bad, even though i didnt want to leave I did just to get out of the situation. The party was pretty much over at that point.

Since then, none of Nick's siblings have contacted me, and I am too sad and embarassed to call them. Nick tells me that his mother spent the whole evening after the party crying, and that his dad and mom are very embarassed. Nobody knows where Jonathon his, but he left a hate filled ranting voicemail on my fiances phone, and then he sent out emails to everyone in the family asking why they have accepted me into the family.

Since then i have kind of gone into a depression... I dont know how to make this right again, and I am worried that Nicks family no longer approves of me. Nick keeps apologizing to me, and as strange as it sounds we have gotten closer and he says he will stick by me no matter what. But, Nick, and the sister who invited Jonathon to the party, got into a very very horrible argument, and are no longer speaking to each other.

So, Reddit, I guess what I want to know is how I can make this right again and how I can approach Nick's family again. I feel like nothing will be the same ever again after this, and perhaps they do not approve of me anymore. Also, I have already forgiven Jonathon. Yes, I know that is weird. But, from the second he called me the N word, I chose to forgive him. I have witnessed many instances of racism in my life, acts of violence against blacks, and I have honestly been subjected to worse when i was in secondary school. In elementary through high school, i was spit on, called names, beat up, discriminated against, stalked, laughed at, and ostracized. So one person calling me the N word no longer really hurts my feelings. I choose to forgive because this kind of hate in their hearts is all they have known and if i attack them or say hurtful things back it wont make a difference in the end.

So i have forgiven Jon, and I want to talk to him about what has happened. But nobody knows where he is at the moment. If he comes back, I want to know what the best way is to approach him, what I should say, and how i can tell him i have forgiven him without sounding stuck up.

Also, in general i am wondering if anyone have ever experience racism within the families of your SO, and how you dealt with that. Or if any of you guys have had your SO's families judge you after finding out about an argument between you two. Any advice in general about what you think i should do is appreciated. it sounds stupid but i have been very depressed since this has happened and i have not been doing as well as usual in my job... I just need some help and have considered getting a therapist but that seems even more dramatic and silly.

tl;dr: Horrible situation between me and my future brother in law. He verbally attacked me in front of my fiances whole family and now i am very embarassed and dont know what to do

WHY NICK? WHY ONE OF THOSE BLACKS? HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO YOUR OWN BROTHER????

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

In a world beyond your imagination, one man will break all the rules to be with the one he loves. Scott Eastwood stars in; Virtually Forbidden

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'd consider it more line an allergy IUD rather than an allergy vasectomy.

This is an extremely good turn of phrase

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Bubblyblubber posted:

WHY NICK? WHY ONE OF THOSE BLACKS? HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO YOUR OWN BROTHER????

Wow, tell him he's being dishonorably discharged from the family and then let him rot..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bubblyblubber posted:

Janelle Monae has recorded three loving albums on that premise, this guy is a goddamn visionary is what he is.

HELP. My (28F) future brother in law (31M) hates me after he overheard an argument between me and my fiance (28M).He called me the N word. All I ever wanted was my fiance's family to like me and approve of me and the marriage. Now I am afraid everything has been ruined. How to fix it? Relationships

I mean it sounds like her future MiL is mortified over how one of her sons could be such a shitheel, and I'm assuming the other siblings haven't called her because calling a future family member and being like "yeah sorry our one brother is a racist dickbag" isn't a very easy call to make. I'm not sure why the the person who wrote that story would think the family is mad/disapproving of her when it's pretty obvious they're insanely embarrassed and probably also dealing with the shock themselves. "Black sheep of the family" can still be a long way away from "drunken racist tirade at birthday party" so more than likely the whole family is still processing things.