Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Just increase the extravagance of the flip based on the result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Freeman likely has a fractured wrist. Out 8-10 weeks if so.

Well it was a fun two months, see y'all in 2018

I was gonna joke that the Jays should keep out any good players from todays game to save them from retribution but with Donaldson out they don't have anyone good enough to justify hitting

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Gobias Ind. posted:

That doesn't make it okay though? It's a perfect opportunity to come out and say something to the effect of "I regret using that word. Locker room talk is no excuse for using what I recognize is a hurtful and damaging slur. I sincerely apologize for using that term and want to use this as a lesson to promote acceptance. No situation warrants the use of that type of language."

e: I agree with you that he likely didn't mean it as an anti-gay thing, but that's really not the point. You are a role model to children and adults alike. Own what you did, explain why it's wrong, and sincerely apologize for it.

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying.

Also about the whole apology being weird. The reporters in the post game weren't aware of him using the slur so the question they asked pillar was about him being fired up. Hence his weird half response.

He is having another press conference today to make a formal apology. Let's see what he says there

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

I can't begin to understand why people care so much about batflips. Batflip on everything I say. Foul balls. Singles. Popups. BuntsNever bunt always swing for the fences

I'd actually be ok with bunting if people batflipped after them, especially when it's a good one.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Intruder posted:

I can't begin to understand why people care so much about batflips. Batflip on everything I say. Foul balls. Singles. Popups. BuntsNever bunt always swing for the fences

Baseball actually needs this as part of getting past the unwritten rules garbage.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd actually be ok with bunting if people batflipped after them, especially when it's a good one.

Bunting is probably the main reason I don't want the "runner starts on second" rule change in extras. Literally every inning: Bunt, attempt at sac fly

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

Is it illegal to carry that bat to the base? I've now got the image of a guy laying down the most perfect bunt, carrying the bat with him to first, and then flipping it back over their shoulder into the dugout.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Defending use of a homophobic slur by comparing it to a misogynistic slur doesn't really help your case. Just sayin.

There's no excuse.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

It would be great because the time spent flipping your bat would guarantee every bunt was a sacrifice.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Intruder posted:

Fair, and it also doesn't help that Bats is slashing a healthy .208/.330/.376 and appears to be just about done, but it's still a stupid thing to get mad about

Also true

Except that the Jays will happily get upset if other teams are bat-flipping, stopping at homeplate, etc.
So glad they hired Bautista again..it only accelerated their downfall :)

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

patonthebach posted:

Also about the whole apology being weird. The reporters in the post game weren't aware of him using the slur so the question they asked pillar was about him being fired up. Hence his weird half response.

Ah, that makes his response a little more reasonable. Hopefully his statement today addresses the points we've been discussing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Baseball needs as much bat flip-cheapening bat flipping as possible to happen so that everyone can collectively move on and obsess over some other less fun unwritten rule.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
If you don't flip your bat within 5 seconds of hitting a dinger, it should count as a strike.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

*throws fastball at dude for perceived sleight*

*loses poo poo over flipping the bat toward the dugout*

Do people still wax poetic about how Bob Gibson would put one in your earhole if you so much as glanced up from the basepaths after hitting a homer off him?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 18, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Freeman's wrist is broken and the Braves say 'we'll have a fight tonight'

sigh

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Except that the Jays will happily get upset if other teams are bat-flipping, stopping at homeplate, etc.

I have not seen this to be the case, do you have any examples?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bat flips rule... but maybe, a game where you've injured the other team's star player, in a series where your pitchers have drilled the other team's batters a bunch, is not the ideal time for a bat flip?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Walrus posted:

Freeman's wrist is broken and the Braves say 'we'll have a fight tonight'

sigh

I have not seen this to be the case, do you have any examples?

Not that I can find easily no, but early last season someone flipped a bat against the Jays as a direct reference to Bautistas bat-flip and they were not amused.

Remember, unwritten rules are only bad when your team are the ones breaking them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Bat flips rule... but maybe, a game where you've injured the other team's star player, in a series where your pitchers have drilled the other team's batters a bunch, is not the ideal time for a bat flip?

Bat flips should be an expression of joy and no one should care about them, but the idea that Bautista wasn't specifically trying to start some poo poo last night is pretty laughable.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
If baseball didn't have unwritten rules then no one would go off because of inane poo poo and have massive drama ensue and then I would be less entertained.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Bat flips should be an expression of joy and no one should care about them, but the idea that Bautista wasn't specifically trying to start some poo poo last night is pretty laughable.

He looked like he straight up apologized at home plate my dude.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You could see the moment he realized that he hosed up when he rounds first base, too

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1399191383/toratl-bautista-launches-homer-causes-altercation

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/KPILLAR4/status/865269119192633345

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/865273099478065152

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If anything the Braves should be grateful since their tank wasn't quite tanky enough

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

If he apologized and is sincere I see no reason to lambaste him. If anything, it draws attention to how using the word was wrong and how even he recognizes he made a mistake

Hopefully the apology isn't "I'm sorry if anyone was offended"

pee pee doo doo

Here is an example of a good apology for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMz80FKusUA

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

After realizing that was the wrong time to try to start some poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Here is an example of a good apology for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMz80FKusUA

Did you see Pillar's tweet? What do you think about it? Seems much less qualified than his initial post-game comments.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Grittybeard posted:

After realizing that was the wrong time to try to start some poo poo.

It was a spur of the moment reaction, yes it was dumb as hell to do a bat flip there, but it's not like he went up to the plate and said 'ok im gonna do a home run then flip the bat gently caress the braves!'

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bring on the cubsposting to save us from this slapfight.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

I'd say thats a pretty good apology. He admits to the wrongdoing and says he wants to do better going forward. He also agrees it has no place in the game today. I hope he gets a chance to do some work with "right to play" organization the leafs are working with about inclusiveness in pro sports.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That is a better apology but he should still be suspended.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

Bring on the cubsposting to save us from this slapfight.

I think it's mostly been Astro's posting this year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Intruder posted:

If anything the Braves should be grateful since their tank wasn't quite tanky enough

I mean, if it were anyone else on the team, sure. Break everyone and run the Gwinnett team out there, as long as Freddie's ok.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

God damnit, wrist injuries are a bitch and he will probably struggle the rest of the season even after coming back. Freeman was hitting as well as anyone since last all star game.

Here's to hoping it's a good fight.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

That is a better apology but he should still be suspended.

I get he should be suspended based on the principle of the phrase and everything. But they aren't exactly tough on players in general. You can bean people without impunity as long as your team does it first. Hey you might injure or permanently hurt a guy but thats not a suspend-able offence

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Have some Tom Lawless and enjoy.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I hope kemp drills one about 500 feet and throws his bat at Bautista

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I hope the game goes off without a hitch and everybody goes out for ice cream after

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It's the only thing Jose can still eat ever since Odor removed all his teeth, after all

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
So the Red Sox are throwing 28-year-old rookie Hector Velazquez against Oakland tonight, which I guess is the best team you could hope to face in your debut. He's kind of an interesting story, tore up the Mexican League last year and was doing quite well in AAA (1.55 ERA in 29 IP) so maybe he could be a useful piece? Screw it, give me a quality start or two and I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

drat that really sucks for Freeman

• Locked thread