Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Topolino posted:

Happy to see Master System recommendations, as I also recently received a Mega everdrive x5 too. Check the European library. Speaking of Double Dragon, Renegade is nice port of the arcade. Master of Darkness is fun Castlevania clone.

Having recently stumbled upon this port, I must say it exceeds the arcade adaptation. The added vignettes where whatever flunky defeats you throwing you in a trash can makes it even more comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

drat, all these posts making want to reconnect my Genesis, but can't find my Mega Everdrive or SCART cable for it.

https://twitter.com/rinkaku89/status/865190582460727297

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

Anyway, I broke out Clockwork Knight for the first time in a long time this evening. I don't know what Sega was thinking with this game. It would have been a weak game on the Genesis. It feels like a mid-tier NES platformer, the kind that you wouldn't mind playing but you're be thinking of better games as you did it. Clockwork Knight doesn't live up to the standards of the platformers Sega had been releasing at the time so the only thing I can think is that this was something they knocked together to see what the Saturn hardware could do.

I assume the sequel is just more of the same. Not that I'm remotely tempted to pay the price for that game.
I suppose I'm the weird one, but I actually really dig Clockwork Knight. More the sequel than the original, since it actually has some vague semblance of teeth to it (the first game you could practically sleepwalk through on Hard; CK2, not so much), but I like them both regardless. Looking the prices up, they're a bit inflated now (Saturn games being inflated, shocker there), but $30 for each isn't the worst price.

I kind of wish somebody would do a translation hack or something, though, because the Japanese versions of the games had little scenes between the stages with some dialog from the otherwise-fairly-mute side characters that was completely excised from the North American (and presumably European) releases, that presumably would've helped give the game a bit more character than it otherwise would have.

Daddys hot grill posted:

Asterix (the first one is my favourite)
- decent platforming. I might just be a fan of the source material though.
FWIW, I had Asterix and the Great Rescue for the Genesis, and while it's not really a good game (I remember it being drat infuriating at points, even), I still kinda like it in spite of itself. Nice Nathan McCree soundtrack, too, a bit before he did Tomb Raider. That said, at least HG101 insists the Master System version of the same is significantly better than the Genesis version, so maybe there's some merit to that. I didn't have a Master System or a Power Base Converter, so I didn't try the MS version of it, or the MS game that preceded it (which I believe is the specific game you recommended in the quote above).

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Topolino posted:

Happy to see Master System recommendations, as I also recently received a Mega everdrive x5 too. Check the European library. Speaking of Double Dragon, Renegade is nice port of the arcade. Master of Darkness is fun Castlevania clone.

Is it possible to use a master system light gun with the mega everdrive? Some people say that master System games on the mega everdrive will not work with the phaser.
There should be nothing on a cartridge preventing it. If any incompatibility it would be on the genesis itsself. It should work fine, same as if one were using a master system cart on a power base converter. As long as you're using a CRT TV of course.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

RZA Encryption posted:

Also, I just got a Mega Everdrive x5! The first thing I loaded up was Sonic 2XL. I can't wait to play Crusader of Centy. What are the must-play mods and translations?

Not mods or translations, but here are 5 MD shmups with awesome music that didn't get a NA release:

Slap Fight MD (Special Mode)
Battle Mania Daiginjou
Dangerous Seed
Zero Wing
Verytex

The quality of the graphics and gamplay on these... varies, unfortunately.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Medullah posted:

Hey, tell me everyone here didn't fully take advantage of jamming on the pause button in Mega Man 1 to beat the rock monster boss.

Everyone didn't because I didn't

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Not mods or translations, but here are 5 MD shmups with awesome music that didn't get a NA release:

Zero Wing

What!!

Edit: Oh - NA-specific. It was babelfished for sure though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Battle Mania Daiginjou

This is the sequel, right? Should've mentioned it on my list too, definitely one of the best games on the system. And since originally we were listing games for a new flashcart owner, you can safely give it a go. And use a translation from romhacking.net!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 18, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shadow Hog posted:

I suppose I'm the weird one, but I actually really dig Clockwork Knight. More the sequel than the original, since it actually has some vague semblance of teeth to it (the first game you could practically sleepwalk through on Hard; CK2, not so much), but I like them both regardless. Looking the prices up, they're a bit inflated now (Saturn games being inflated, shocker there), but $30 for each isn't the worst price.

I kind of wish somebody would do a translation hack or something, though, because the Japanese versions of the games had little scenes between the stages with some dialog from the otherwise-fairly-mute side characters that was completely excised from the North American (and presumably European) releases, that presumably would've helped give the game a bit more character than it otherwise would have.
FWIW, I had Asterix and the Great Rescue for the Genesis, and while it's not really a good game (I remember it being drat infuriating at points, even), I still kinda like it in spite of itself. Nice Nathan McCree soundtrack, too, a bit before he did Tomb Raider. That said, at least HG101 insists the Master System version of the same is significantly better than the Genesis version, so maybe there's some merit to that. I didn't have a Master System or a Power Base Converter, so I didn't try the MS version of it, or the MS game that preceded it (which I believe is the specific game you recommended in the quote above).

Speaking of the Power Base Converter, does that work with the Genesis model 2?

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
Yes, it will work, but you will need to physically modify the back of the converter to fit the Genesis 2. The one I had was already modified, did not realize it until I received the package from the online seller many years ago.

There is an European variant that fits the Megadrive 2. And I believe there are third party recent alternatives that is just the board, so it fits any backwards compatible console.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Topolino posted:

Is it possible to use a master system light gun with the mega everdrive? Some people say that master System games on the mega everdrive will not work with the phaser.

BTW was Power Instinct released on America? All the Roms I have found are from the Japanese version. The Genesis library does not seem to have as many fighting games as the SNES.

The lightgun will work fine on a Genesis with a power base converter/everdrive, but there's a small handful of games that won't without a patch. I think the main game with this issue is Wonder Boy in Monster Land, but the patch to fix it is pretty easy to find.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Topolino posted:

BTW was Power Instinct released on America? All the Roms I have found are from the Japanese version. The Genesis library does not seem to have as many fighting games as the SNES.

Yep, it was. It's on eBay in modest supply, and I even remember seeing a single copy of it at Best Buy around 1995.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of the Power Base Converter, does that work with the Genesis model 2?

Only if you cut the back off like I did in the 90s!

http://alexkidd.com/powerbase/index.htm

(Or find a "2" version from across the pond)

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

This is a good segue into my Everdrive questions!

I just got a Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive N8, and Everdrive64 v2, are there some good ROM portals I should trawl through for good fan-made ROMs, etc?

Also I don't know if asking for sites to download vanilla game ROMs is considered :filez: or not in this era of the Virtual Console.

An alternative to having to sort through ROMs, just google "smokemonster roms". You'll thank me later. :wink:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Alucardd posted:

An alternative to having to sort through ROMs, just google "smokemonster roms". You'll thank me later. :wink:

This right here is the correct answer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have some amazon funbux burning a hole in my virtual pocket and I'm thinking of getting an ed64 plus.

Will an ed64 plus load saves off sd? I only have one memory card for 64, so it would be nice if I didn't have to buy a bunch and label them.

Any general thoughts on the ed64 plus?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have some amazon funbux burning a hole in my virtual pocket and I'm thinking of getting an ed64 plus.

Will an ed64 plus load saves off sd? I only have one memory card for 64, so it would be nice if I didn't have to buy a bunch and label them.

Any general thoughts on the ed64 plus?

It sounds a lot like the old Chinese Everdrive clones. My understanding is that those are limited to an earlier version of the Everdrive 64 OS (1.29), and newer versions of the OS by Krikzz don't support them (and may also brick them?). It's also kind of troubling that I can't seem to find any recent information about it; last year seems to be as fresh as it gets, and most info seems to be blogs and forum posts from the 2013 - 2015 date range.

I'd save those funbux for something else, or buy some cartridges from a seller on there.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Does anyone have any advice for buffing out / removing scratches from arcade cabinet glass? They are relatively minor but I figured I would ask here before trying metal polish or something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

URL grey tea posted:

Does anyone have any advice for buffing out / removing scratches from arcade cabinet glass? They are relatively minor but I figured I would ask here before trying metal polish or something.

I am not a glazier, but I think going with an abrasive is the wrong choice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shadow Hog posted:

There are two 8-bit Asterix games by Sega: the original, just called Asterix, and a second one called Asterix and the Secret Mission which is a companion title to the MD game of the same name. They were made by a few of the people that made the 8-bit Mickey Mouse Illusion games, from memory.

I've not played Core Designs's 8-bit Asterix game but it's certainly a looker in the typical European way.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Alucardd posted:

Anyway I could use these with retropie?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They're regular roms.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

They're regular roms.

Great, thank you!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I just found out that to save Romance of Three Kingdoms IV games on the Saturn version takes up literally all of the internal memory. You cannot save any other games if you want to save that game. That makes the 12 block saves on the PS1 look kind in comparison.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I am not a glazier, but I think going with an abrasive is the wrong choice.

Polishing compounds are typically fine abrasives IIRC. Best application depends entirely on the actual material though..

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Polishing glass is a real pain in the rear end, and most shade tree/hobbyist auto detailers won't bother with it.

I would think that a CRT's glass has a film on it, but I haven't really poured over the finer points of CRT construction.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Dusted off my Xbox that I bought two years ago and basically never used. I am finally playing Dark Alliance 2 and it is sweet. I bought Otogi 2, Deathrow and Kingdoms Under Fire off Amazon. Found my barely used copy of Crimson Skies as well.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I got behind a SEGA Saturn on my way home from work tonight :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So how, exactly, do I not get my rear end handed to me in Nobunaga's Ambition? Is there an easy guide anywhere? Because this game is totally loving incomprehensible to me and is only slightly less so after reading the manual.

(The NES, SNES and Genesis versions all seem basically the same, is that accurate?)

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So how, exactly, do I not get my rear end handed to me in Nobunaga's Ambition? Is there an easy guide anywhere? Because this game is totally loving incomprehensible to me and is only slightly less so after reading the manual.

(The NES, SNES and Genesis versions all seem basically the same, is that accurate?)

If it is just a game named "Nobunaga's Ambition," then they should be roughly the same, but if there is anything else after that title it will vary wildly in quality and style.

Gamefaqs has guides and stuff, probably some good info in there.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Finally was able to grab a GDemu a few weeks back (the guy who makes them seems to make insanely small batches so they sell out in minutes) and just installed it. Also opted for a 3d printed tray and I'm glad I did, because the board just didn't feel terribly secure with the stock plastic stints. Also, the inclusion of slots for multiple SD cards is a nice feature, although I'm able to fit every game I'm interested in on a single SD card (it's in the mail, the ones below were just to give the board a try for the first time). Super easy install, just had to open the DC and remove the drive, no additional parts necessary. And like any retro good console, there were a few dead bugs inside. :D

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

Having decided that my SuperGrafx was insufficiently super, I've added a Super CDROM2 to increase superness by 100%. The picture doesn't really show how excessively unwieldy the SuperGrafxSuperCDROM2 combo is. Even the Genesis 1 / SegaCD 2 combination has a smaller footprint. The size is less of an issue when paired with a CoreGrafx, but then you're missing out on the many SuperGrafx specific games.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

That's a cool thing that also looks like a really lame combiner Transformer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kthulhu5000 posted:

It sounds a lot like the old Chinese Everdrive clones. My understanding is that those are limited to an earlier version of the Everdrive 64 OS (1.29), and newer versions of the OS by Krikzz don't support them (and may also brick them?). It's also kind of troubling that I can't seem to find any recent information about it; last year seems to be as fresh as it gets, and most info seems to be blogs and forum posts from the 2013 - 2015 date range.

I'd save those funbux for something else, or buy some cartridges from a seller on there.

Well the only krikzz everdrive I could find on Amazon was like $260 and the ed64 plus was within my limit of funbux spending so I pulled the trigger. We'll see, maybe it will be crap, maybe not. Choose your own adventure!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

liquid courage posted:

Finally was able to grab a GDemu a few weeks back (the guy who makes them seems to make insanely small batches so they sell out in minutes) and just installed it. Also opted for a 3d printed tray and I'm glad I did, because the board just didn't feel terribly secure with the stock plastic stints. Also, the inclusion of slots for multiple SD cards is a nice feature, although I'm able to fit every game I'm interested in on a single SD card (it's in the mail, the ones below were just to give the board a try for the first time). Super easy install, just had to open the DC and remove the drive, no additional parts necessary. And like any retro good console, there were a few dead bugs inside. :D

Awesome. Now you can play all the great Dramcast mods like the Shenmue undub, the Xiaopang Complete Edition, possibly soon a 16:9 widescreen mod of that, a a bunch of unstable Half-Life DC mods. Not to mention prototypes. I'm jealous.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Awesome. Now you can play all the great Dramcast mods like the Shenmue undub, the Xiaopang Complete Edition, possibly soon a 16:9 widescreen mod of that, a a bunch of unstable Half-Life DC mods. Not to mention prototypes. I'm jealous.

then he has to buy a 16:9 PVM too

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

The PVM 20M2U has a 16:9 widescreen mode :getin:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

liquid courage posted:

The PVM 20M2U has a 16:9 widescreen mode :getin:

I thought this was fairly common for PVM's to have anyway? I was in film school in 2001 where they had the cheapest equipment known to mankind for that era and I'm pretty sure all our PVM's had a 16x9 switch.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Why would I play to play a game in widescreen on a 4:3 display though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Elliotw2 posted:

Why would I play to play a game in widescreen on a 4:3 display though?

Well if you have a complete unit, they usually came with 16:9 masks to put over the screen.

• Locked thread