Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The reason people still care about ST is exactly because it is a positive view of the future. It would not still be relevant otherwise. There's no reason they can't speak to that in this series. I mean the lead is a black woman, and it seems like another co-lead or major character is an Asian woman.

I will be stunned if Yeoh makes it out of the opening episode/two-parter. Her whole character even in that trailer screams "mentor who dies to push the heroine into action".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Of course, if CBS All Access tanks, none of this matters anyway.

The stupid CBS All Access part is honestly putting the kiss of death on the show before it even airs. It's like the modern version of announcing it'll be on Friday night.

If this were going straight to Netflix, or hell, even Hulu, it'd be fine, but nope!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WampaLord posted:

The stupid CBS All Access part is honestly putting the kiss of death on the show before it even airs. It's like the modern version of announcing it'll be on Friday night.

If this were going straight to Netflix, or hell, even Hulu, it'd be fine, but nope!

I'm honestly not sure, considering they put the Good Fight on there as well, and you'd think they'd be trying to push that as a network equivalent of like Better Call Saul. (Spin off of an award bait drama series starring a popular lawyer supporting character)

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

McSpanky posted:

Last year a movie came out that was a direct, like down to a few minutes prior, prequel to a movie from 1977 and somehow they didn't have any trouble precisely matching that aesthetic without sacrificing modern production values. Maybe we should petition Disney to buy the Star Trek IP.

Well, per hour of footage, Star Wars had 25x the budget plus ten years of technology advances over TOS. The design and sets of Star Wars don't look anything like as dated as Star Trek's.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gaz-L posted:

I will be stunned if Yeoh makes it out of the opening episode/two-parter. Her whole character even in that trailer screams "mentor who dies to push the heroine into action".
It's more likely that is Jeremy Irons dying after the pilot

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The trailer doesn't have an iota of fun or, ironically, an iota of discovery. They focus so much on establishing a sense of dread and building up the Klingon threat, but... I like Klingons!

we desperately need a good show about "boldly going where no man has gone before"— the very last thing our society needs is a show about : "we went beyond our borders and immediately ran into dangerous scary brown people that we must now go to war with."

edit: I'm having trouble figuring out specifically why, but even the instrumental theme at the end sounds strange and drained of joy, which is weird because they didn't really change the melody.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 18, 2017

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The parody show will get seven seasons and be critically acclaimed.
The official show will get one season on CBS ALL ACCESS, and a made-for-netflix movie.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yeah I'm looking forward to The Orville way more than to STD.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VanSandman posted:

The parody show will get seven seasons and be critically acclaimed.
The official show will get one season on CBS ALL ACCESS, and a made-for-netflix movie.

I wonder if the production team behind The Orville is aware of this and is actively shooting to be featured in a bunch of articles about "Parody Trek show better than actual new Trek show"

E: VVV When I say "production team" I guess I really meant "the executives"

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 18, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm sure MacFarlane wants Discovery to be good. Dude is a big time Trek fan. He hosted some of the roundtable stuff from the TNG blu-ray special features and had a recurring minor role on Enterprise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Here's where I'm sitting because I have no opinion one way or another on the show this far.

15 episodes means it's going to run across 4 months.

4 months means it's going to cost $24.96 to watch WITH commercials (39.96 without) on a lovely lowbitrate 2 channel compressed to poo poo audio streaming service that has absolutely nothing else I want to watch on it.

There aren't enough nopes, not when every other country gets to watch it on a service that has one of the highest quality streaming platforms with multichannel audio and likely 4k video.

Release the episodes on Vudu or Google Play the day after they air and I will gladly fork over $30 for the season upfront. Otherwise the only way I'm going to watch Discovery on all-access is to wait for the season to end and marathon the whole thing during a free trial period.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

bull3964 posted:

Here's where I'm sitting because I have no opinion one way or another on the show this far.

15 episodes means it's going to run across 4 months.

4 months means it's going to cost $24.96 to watch WITH commercials (39.96 without) on a lovely lowbitrate 2 channel compressed to poo poo audio streaming service that has absolutely nothing else I want to watch on it.

There aren't enough nopes, not when every other country gets to watch it on a service that has one of the highest quality streaming platforms with multichannel audio and likely 4k video.

Release the episodes on Vudu or Google Play the day after they air and I will gladly fork over $30 for the season upfront. Otherwise the only way I'm going to watch Discovery on all-access is to wait for the season to end and marathon the whole thing during a free trial period.

They're going to put it on Netflix or something eventually, I'll watch it then.

Granted, the show might already be cancelled by that point, but eh I really don't want to bother with that CBS All Access poo poo for one show.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There is no chance that I will pay a cent to watch this show

Polo-Rican posted:

The trailer doesn't have an iota of fun or, ironically, an iota of discovery. They focus so much on establishing a sense of dread and building up the Klingon threat, but... I like Klingons!

we desperately need a good show about "boldly going where no man has gone before"— the very last thing our society needs is a show about : "we went beyond our borders and immediately ran into dangerous scary brown people that we must now go to war with."

edit: I'm having trouble figuring out specifically why, but even the instrumental theme at the end sounds strange and drained of joy, which is weird because they didn't really change the melody.

Yeah I mean, the trailer doesn't make it seem like it's going to be an utterly awful show per se, but the look and feel is MILES off Star Trek.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zurui posted:

I'm so ecstatic that Trek is back in production. I don't give a poo poo about the continuity or whether or not it's a prequel, there's a show called Star Trek and they're making more of it.

This is the same attitude Star Wars fans had when Episode 1 was coming out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gammatron 64 posted:

They're going to put it on Netflix or something eventually, I'll watch it then.

Granted, the show might already be cancelled by that point, but eh I really don't want to bother with that CBS All Access poo poo for one show.

Keep an eye the "The Good Fight" since it's the same situation. So far, no hints on it showing up anywhere else.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Polo-Rican posted:

I thought the same thing, it's like they went for the least appealing chords & arrangement possible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Angry Salami posted:

You should have seen the arguments back when Voyager premiered over how unrealistic a black Vulcan was...

Hmm yes a species from a planet with biomes ranging from "desert" to "extremely desert" definitely should not have dark skin that makes no sense. Everyone knows white people do great in harsh sunlight.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Drone posted:

I also really hate those uniforms, especially given the time period the show is set in. They look like they could have maybe fit in a few years after ENT, but not ten years before we got the primary color tunics we see in TOS.

It's worth noting that both The Cage and the first TOS episode there were only two colors to the uniform (sort of sandy-gold and blue). Not even TOS had the primary colors until episode 2.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 18, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Io9 pointed out something I missed; The new uniforms do have division-specific coloring. Gold accents for Command, silver for Science, and bronze for (presumably) Engineering.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

You should have seen the arguments back when Voyager premiered over how unrealistic a black Vulcan was...

I think Tuvok was a better Spock than Zachary Quinto, and I don't even care for Voyager. JJ Spock feels like he belongs in ST Enterprise. He's an uptight jerk. Nimoy Spock and Tuvok are cool.

Okay yeah, so Tuvok got pissed off as well and fantasizes about murdering Neelix, but who doesn't? Tuvok's hatred of Neelix is actually hilarious and one of the times they actually got the humor in the show right.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's more likely that is Jeremy Irons dying after the pilot

Jason Isaacs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Cool, that looked like a completely derivative turd.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gaz-L posted:

This. I think I've pieced together a good chunk of the pilot;
  • Sonequa Martin-Green's Lt. Burnham is clearly tied to Vulcan in some way. I doubt she's meant to be part Vulcan, but she clearly spent her childhood either on Vulcan or in a Vulcan household. Maybe her parents were diplomats? That might explain why Sarek appears to know her personally. He's clearly intended to be some sort of mentor.
  • Speaking of Vulcan, I'm pretty sure that's where the trailer begins. It matches portrayals of the planet in past shows/movies and Burnham and Georgiou are apparently able to call for pickup at any time. My guess is that this scene is a straightforward Call to Adventure. Burnham is wandering the literal wilderness of her adopted home and Georgiou offers her a new opportunity.
  • Since Burnham is already listed as a First Officer in the casting announcement, I'm also going to bet the command Georgiou offers is the Shenzhou, not Discovery. It makes sense. She's already XO and she's been serving with Georgiou for seven years.
  • But before that can happen, the Shenzhou runs into that Klingon mystery ship. I'm also guessing these are ancient Klingons based on rumors and the obviously atypical set design and appearance.
  • One of the Klingons in the trailer has been identified in promo stills as T'Kuvma, "the Klingon leader seeking to unite the Klingon houses". Now, either T'Kuvma sees the current Federation-Klingon cold war and decides to heat things up for glory, honor, and the usual poo poo, or T'Kuvma's ship is one of many and the season will revolve around Discovery & Co. trying to stop him from tipping the delicate balance of power.
  • There's also casting announcements for Klingons specifically mentioned as being part of the Empire, so perhaps Discovery will have a few contemporary allies with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.
  • Burnham seems pretty impulsive and brazen, so I'm going to guess her spacewalk to the Klingon ship is against orders. It also conveniently gets her off-ship for this next part;
  • I don't think the Shenzhou and Capt. Georgiou are long for this series. Nothing says "You hosed up because you weren't ready" better than losing your ship and getting your captain killed. My guess is that Burnham will then be transferred to Discovery along with other survivors such as Doug Jones' Saru (that ability to sense death would be pretty handy if it allows you to jump ship well before poo poo goes down). Jason Isaac's Captain will likely want them along if they're the only surviving officers who've dealt with the mystery Klingons.
  • We won't see Discovery at all before the second half of the pilot.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 18, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

There's also a picture of Sonequa Martin-Green giving the vulcan salute on the poster which is odd because she doesn't seem to have pointy ears.

I guess she's going to be the captain when the other captain dies, so I dunno why they just don't come out and say she's the Captain. I guess she's like Riker, except she actually goes for the captain's chair instead of staying in a comfortable first officer position forever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The ship we see in the trailer looks like an older one, so I'm guessing it gets blown up and the new Discovery is like a proto Constitution class.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sonequa Martin-Green's Lt. Burnham is clearly tied to Vulcan in some way. I doubt she's meant to be part Vulcan, but she clearly spent her childhood either on Vulcan or in a Vulcan household. Maybe her parents were diplomats? That might explain why Sarek appears to know her personally. He's clearly intended to be some sort of mentor.

Gammatron 64 posted:

There's also a picture of Sonequa Martin-Green giving the vulcan salute on the poster which is odd because she doesn't seem to have pointy ears.

I haven't heard of a human being raised as a Vulcan before. It offers a new take on an old perspective. Maybe instead of teaching the audience how great it is to be an impulsive gungho human they'll attempt teaching Vulcan temperance and cool-headedness.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

vermin posted:

I haven't heard of a human being raised as a Vulcan before. It offers a new take on an old perspective. Maybe instead of teaching the audience how great it is to be an impulsive gungho human they'll attempt teaching Vulcan temperance and cool-headedness.

Spock got ruthlessly bullied as a kid so I can only imagine what it's like for a full human growing up on Vulcan.

I also think that vulcans have to have different brain chemistry than humans, because while stocism is good and is a good behavior to emulate, if you go to the Vulcan extreme of trying to repress all emotion eventually you're just going to snap and kill someone.

And I suppose that's true for Vulcans as well to some degree given that they go through Pon Farr every 7 years and all those emotions they kept bottled up pour out and they go completely nuts until they nut.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtmsI07AMsE&t=49s
So in this promo video, it actually looks like the phasers could shoot out a blue beam and act like a tractor beam? Was this going to be a thing and then they dropped it after creating this trailer? Or am I just misreading this?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Spock got ruthlessly bullied as a kid so I can only imagine what it's like for a full human growing up on Vulcan.

There may be a double standard there, much like how in some countries foreigners are treated much more politely than those who are ethnically local but raised foreign. Like, the human can't meet Vulcan standards, so it would be cruel to judge her by them. But that Spock is at least half Vulcan, and that's obviously the superior genetic side, so what's his excuse?

Orv
May 4, 2011
You've all kind of discussed the idea of this over the last couple pages, but that trailer felt nothing like Trek to me. Even JJTrek, most of which I like, still feels kind of essentially Trek-ish, in tone if nothing else. Swap out the uniforms and a couple others pieces like the Vulcans and a few words here and there, and you could pretty handily convince me this was some bizarre decade late nuBSG spin-off, or season 3 of SG:U. It just feels wrong, and I can't super pin down why.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think it would be cool if the show didn't actually take place on the Discovery but rather that ship was central to the plot somehow, like the search for the lost Discovery or something.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Orv posted:

You've all kind of discussed the idea of this over the last couple pages, but that trailer felt nothing like Trek to me. Even JJTrek, most of which I like, still feels kind of essentially Trek-ish, in tone if nothing else. Swap out the uniforms and a couple others pieces like the Vulcans and a few words here and there, and you could pretty handily convince me this was some bizarre decade late nuBSG spin-off, or season 3 of SG:U. It just feels wrong, and I can't super pin down why.

My thoughts too, this show doesn't seem very Trekish.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They watched the new Star Trek movies and thought "What if we made that a TV show?" Instead of making a Trek TV show.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

They watched the new Star Trek movies and thought "What if we made that a TV show?" Instead of making a Trek TV show.

It looks a lot worse than the new movies. like a JJ Abrams Enterprise at best

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Like, I kinda get the vibe that this is going to be some kind of dark action show and that's not really Trek. Star Trek has this feeling of adventure and wonder that isn't here. This looks more like a Hollywood movie.

Judging from the trailer it kind of looks like the lead character wants to preemptively start a war with the Klingons which is a super un-Star Trek thing to do.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Spoeank posted:

I mean TNG put a Klingon on the drat bridge. Go far enough out and you can do whatever you want and backfill the reasons.

I would be more than happy to have a new Trek that's 50-60 years after the end of Voyager.

https://www.startrekonline.com

(Okay, so it's only 30 years or so)

Drone posted:

If there's one thing this world doesn't need right now, it's a post-capitalist libertarian-socialist vision of an optimistic future, I tell ya wut :bahgawd:

Netflix should totally do a miniseries based on one of The Culture novels.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If they keep doing prequels soon we'll have star trek set in the 1800s

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

If they keep doing prequels soon we'll have star trek set in the 1800s

I would much sooner watch Aubrey/Maturin Trek than whatever this is, T.B.Q.H.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

On second watch of the trailer, I get the impression that the plot is going to somehow revolve around this lead character being a sort of renegade diplomat, or that she's going to try and solve some sort of misunderstanding she helped cause with the Klingons. This character— some sort of protege of Sarek's— is out there in space with her Starfleet mentor, they discover an unknown object which she encourages them to check out (because "woo-hoo, exploration"), it turns out to be that weird ancient Klingon ship, and some sort of incident happens (which may or may not be partially her fault). Then some of these scenes with her in the spacesuit and confronting the Klingons has to do with her setting things right before everybody blows one another up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dirty posted:

Well, per hour of footage, Star Wars had 25x the budget plus ten years of technology advances over TOS. The design and sets of Star Wars don't look anything like as dated as Star Trek's.

You know what looks dated? SpaceX. Rocket Ships are so loving Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. They even land(when they manage to) like a rocket from an old serial.