Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lurdiak posted:

There is currently no way to tell Steam you don't want people on your friends list to be able to voice call you. Nothing like getting a voice call during the middle of a cutscene in a plot-heavy game.

You can just set yourself to appear offline if you really don't want to be disturbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lurdiak posted:

There is currently no way to tell Steam you don't want people on your friends list to be able to voice call you. Nothing like getting a voice call during the middle of a cutscene in a plot-heavy game.

There is a way to tell those people to gently caress off

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PantsBandit posted:

You can just set yourself to appear offline if you really don't want to be disturbed.

Sure sure, there are ways around it, but it's a basic functionality that really should exist.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jay Rust posted:

Life Is Strange feels suuuuuper manipulative to me in retrospect, it's like one of those stories that end with having to put a dog down

It's very much from the "spend 90% of the game telling the player to do something and then the last 10% telling them to feel bad for having done it" school of video game narratives, which I really didn't like about it. There's a lot of things I don't like about it honestly, but I think it's bad in a fun and interesting way and I think another game by the same devs could be equally interesting and maybe I'd like it more. I hope the new story and new cast idea is what they go with!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

isn't battle.net like, hilariously terrible compared to steam though? you don't even have voice chat iirc

it's got a chat system and a cooked in voip and an overlay but even with all those similarities comparing it to steam is a very apples to oranges thing. the blizzard launcher supports something like 6 games in its entirety: hearthstone, heroes of the storm, world of warcraft, diablo 3, starcraft II, and overwatch. they all fit on the sidebar simultaneously and thus are displayed even if you don't have one or the other installed. there is no storefront, or community pages, or anything, because it is just those 6 games.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lurdiak posted:

What are you doing, we're only allowed to poo poo on Steam's competitors when they get mentioned, not Steam itself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

The dog is your misguided belief that you live in a fair and rational world.

the dog is the singular binary decision that you make in your entire irl life

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It took a decade to get the ability to open steam pages in a new window

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ometeotl posted:

What are you doing, we're only allowed to poo poo on Steam's competitors when they get mentioned, not Steam itself.

where were you when there was like 3 pages of discussion on how steam is a cutthroat capitalist monopoly bleeding anyone and everyone who touches it dry in pursuit of the almighty dollar

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You know how people make fun of "the Citizen Kane of games"

Gabe Newell, the person, is basically the Citizen Kane of games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The White Dragon posted:

the dog is the singular binary decision that you make in your entire irl life

I think a lot of people were under the impression that Life is Strange was going to be one of those games that had all these various permutations and were disappointed when it didn't end up being that. It's also kind of a downer ending. But I felt like the plot was well-established by everything leading up to the final episode, I could see where things were going and to me it was actually quite beautiful. There's a lot that I could say about it but I'd rather not other than hell yeah Life is Strange 2!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i didnt even know until right now that steam had voice chat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
shinobido 2

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

unless it's been updated in the past couple of years it's not super great

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

i didn't either and this is a good thing as far as i'm concerned

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Steam voice chat ring noise is the exact royalty free phone sound effect that most tv shows use. I know this because I watch a lot of bad cop shows.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Cowcaster posted:

where were you when there was like 3 pages of discussion on how steam is a cutthroat capitalist monopoly bleeding anyone and everyone who touches it dry in pursuit of the almighty dollar

Watching people try to present that while others screamed about how Origin killed their dog and that a Steam monopoly is a good thing.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Well, just logged into battle.net for the first time in years to make sure everything was still good. I'd rather launch Destiny 2 from Steam by whatevs. I imagine the clan chat will happen through discord anyway

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ometeotl posted:

Watching people try to present that while others screamed about how Origin killed their dog and that a Steam monopoly is a good thing.

ah so you're just upset you're not the loudest screamer in the room

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yes

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who are gonna play Destiny 2 on PC and don't already have Blizzard's launcher installed. I kinda would've expected there to be more overlap between the Destiny 2 audience and the Overwatch audience.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i would've thought there was very little overlap between the destiny 2 audience and pc gamers at all considering the first was a console exclusive, but here we are

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Destiny 2 on PC...Blizzard's launcher

Wait what

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Most of the people I know who love Blizzard games don't even own consoles and Destiny basically did not exist for them

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean it's basically borderlands 2 with less memery right

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

i mean it's basically borderlands 2 with less memery right

idk i thought destiny was some kind of bad mmo and the only similarity between it and bl2 is that you play as a shootgunsman

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think the only person I've ever heard talk about Destiny was Brad Shoemaker, which speaks volumes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It makes a lot of sense that Blizzard gets a third party game on their platform. They have an insane ammount of users, they were basically wasting free money not selling more games on their platform. It would be cool to have actual capable comeptition to Steam.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Palpek posted:

It makes a lot of sense that Blizzard gets a third party game on their platform. They have an insane ammount of users, they were basically wasting free money not selling more games on their platform. It would be cool to have actual capable comeptition to Steam.

in the official press release they explicitly claim that this is a one and done deal and they have no future plans to add more third party games to the client, so it remains really weird in my book

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Activision games are not third party for Blizzard, hell, they spent some amount of time implementing a half-arsed version of exotic equipment in Wow.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

Indeed. Money is the only language Valve has spoken since the release of HL2 anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

Activision and Blizzard are the same company

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blizzard titles also being on their own platform don't have to play the deep discount game, their consumer base is huge and will pay full price well after release.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Healbot posted:

Activision games are not third party for Blizzard

In Training posted:

Activision and Blizzard are the same company
Ah ok, that makes more sense I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

Ah ok, that makes more sense I guess.

It is strange though, they try to keep Blizzard a very distinct Brand so its odd that Destiny 2 is going to show up in that same storefront

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Some CEO is probably very happy about winning that battle.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Putting Destiny 2 on the blizzard launcher is a good move to help wean WoW addicts off of MMOs.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The White Dragon posted:

idk i thought destiny was some kind of bad mmo and the only similarity between it and bl2 is that you play as a shootgunsman

It's pretty much just replaying a handful of levels from Halo over and over on different difficulties.

One of the most cynically grindy and repetitive games I've ever played.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/news/?d=2017-5#181745

quote:

Does this mean other games are going to come to the Blizzard platform too?

Our focus in terms of supporting non-Blizzard games is solely around Destiny 2. Aside from potentially evaluating needs or opportunities for future Activision games, we don’t have any short- or long-term plans to support third-party games with Battle.net. It’s important to us to maintain our quality standards for any experience or service we’re putting in front of our players, which represents a big investment of time and effort on our part, so this is not something we’re jumping into lightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

spudsbuckley posted:

It's pretty much just replaying a handful of levels from Halo over and over on different difficulties.

One of the most cynically grindy and repetitive games I've ever played.

so like vermintide or payday 2 then?

• Locked thread