Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Fare thee well, Councilman. You will never pronounce "Avatar project" weirdly again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

So I just realized that the Councilman said that Advent was going to cover its people mulching plan in the guise of a broadcast about "A final treatment for the human condition".
Does this mean the XCOM2 universe is populated by huge amounts of Otherkin?

I'm pretty sure that the idea of a "cure for the human condition" or whatever, is a way to stop aging, perhaps make people immune to illness, that sort of thing, not make people something other than human.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Also, I liked the implication at the beginning of the game that all the games of the first XCOM ever played were simulations running in the Commander's head.

And that everyone played so much of it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cooked Auto posted:

So I just realized that the Councilman said that Advent was going to cover its people mulching plan in the guise of a broadcast about "A final treatment for the human condition".
Does this mean the XCOM2 universe is populated by huge amounts of Otherkin?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Technically I suppose it is really a cure to the human condition. One Agent Smith would be proud of.

...So wait. Now we've seen that cutscene we're actually ahead of where my two playthroughs have been, I want to get this straight. You captured the unfinished Avatar, which is an empty shell of a psyonic death machine, and having killed a second Avatar you're going to use that one's genetics to complete the first one, control it psyonically as the actual commander yourself (some weird in-a-game-within-the-game shenanigans there) and send it through the shadow chamber into the Alien's domain. All correct?

You started the game off finding out that the first game was just the commander running psyonic simulations of a war so the aliens could use your tactics against your own people so the first game was all just a game. And now the end-game of the game is going to be you, back in the psyonic suit, personally controlling an alien creature to use its powers against its own people. That's perfect for a series that is all about how humans steal poo poo from their attackers and turn it all against them. How do they take it another step further for XCom 3?

Also, you're using the Avatar as a key and you're going to be able to actually put a squad through the portal somehow, right? I mean this is a squad based game, so it would be weird for the end to be a solo mission like the one man wrecking crew Shellshock originally pulled off, but that would be the best callback to the first LP and also really fitting.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
X-Com 3 is going to involve the commander mind-jacking an army of avatars as humanity moves into the stars to conquer. As you reverse engineer the indigenous species you come across, you realize humans were the baddies all along.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Makes u think

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Just echoing that the Councilman scene is really goddamn good. It's a great, quick string of "Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. OH poo poo." You don't really expect the possibly self-serving shadowy guy who's been critiquing your performance for two games to turn around and sacrifice himself for the cause, and it's played really drat well.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Tempest_56 posted:

Just echoing that the Councilman scene is really goddamn good. It's a great, quick string of "Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. OH poo poo." You don't really expect the possibly self-serving shadowy guy who's been critiquing your performance for two games to turn around and sacrifice himself for the cause, and it's played really drat well.

I mean, when the alternative is "everyone, including you, becomes tang primordial soup" your options are rather limited.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11849998

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
My brain really didn't want to connect that post with this thread. But we did mention Otherkin, so we brought it upon ourselves.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Fire Storm posted:

That is so terrible I had to comment.
:tipshat:

I choose to believe that Mr. Shadow survives, escapes, and goes into hiding doing VO work on radio commercials:

"Our sale on ToyoTA HighLANderrrrs, will exceed your expecTAtions..."

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

TheDarkFlame posted:

How do they take it another step further for XCom 3?

OK so get this - it's the same xcom we know and love, except underwater. Make your game, Jake.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GuavaMoment posted:

OK so get this - it's the same xcom we know and love, except underwater. Make your game, Jake.

Jokes aside, I still maintain that there's a good idea to be had there. Open the game with X-COM only able to play defense, responding to alien attacks on ships, resorts, oil rigs, coastal towns, etc. You have to develop the technology to go underwater as the game develops, switching you from playing defense to offense and going from humanity's turf to the aliens where the environment stops being human and friendly and starts being hostile and alien. Maybe even at first you're in shallow waters with still a lot of human presence - bridge foundations, sunken ships and aircraft, things like that. But as you push deeper and deeper you leave the human world entirely and enter the aliens' domain.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

:rip: A voice like melted butter. Your sacrifice shall not be in vain.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

:rip: A voice like melted butter.

Yeah, it's the honest trailers guy.

GalenEvil
Apr 22, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Jokes aside

I read this as "Jakes aside" at first :doh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Everything to the lead up of the final missions is pretty good, although i had the same problem Jade is having here where i had to backlog the entire plot due to not spreading them out more.

Although i feel like it'd be kinda hard to actually do the plot missions as they "come up" as that would usually require dropping whatever it is that you were immediately doing to start expanding to the other side of the globe to get to it. Plus you know the average player will want to be as powerful and prepared as possible for these missions so they end up getting left out until there is literally nothing else left to do. Which leads to this huge "THE END IS COMING" vibe when in reality you pushed the Avatar project back so far from all the plot you did at once that you could play for another 3 months without them actually getting any closer :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I know. :thejoke:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
"A mere transmission of genetic data" huh?

:quagmire:

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I've been looking into mods for X-COM 2 and I distinctly remember an episode in which JadeStar mentions some class mods, but I cannot find it. Does anyone know the episode or are my meds causing me to horribly misremember things again?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm pretty sure that the idea of a "cure for the human condition" or whatever, is a way to stop aging, perhaps make people immune to illness, that sort of thing, not make people something other than human.

The idea that death is an integral part of the human condition has been around for a long time. If you remove that, I think we would become something very different.

It's possible that it would make us kinder and better at long-term planning because any future impact would affect us. It's also possible we'd become so jealous and protective of our immortality that we'd not hesitate to kill anything that's even a minor threat.

I'd like to think the former would be the outcome, but I'd put my money on the latter.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Emissary666 posted:

I've been looking into mods for X-COM 2 and I distinctly remember an episode in which JadeStar mentions some class mods, but I cannot find it. Does anyone know the episode or are my meds causing me to horribly misremember things again?
You're looking for Operation Unfortunate Granola.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Peanut3141 posted:

The idea that death is an integral part of the human condition has been around for a long time. If you remove that, I think we would become something very different.

You might enjoy Richard K Morgan's Kovacs series, for the plot conceit if not the boner descriptions.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

dregan posted:

You might enjoy Richard K Morgan's Kovacs series, for the plot conceit if not the boner descriptions.

After reading Wikipedia's first paragraph summary, I'm fairly certain I've read this. However, it was probably around the original 2002 publication date, so I don't remember very many details and I was completely unaware there was a whole series now. If I can find the time, I'd very much like to reread it and work my way through the series. Thanks!

This and similar sci-fi stories I've read were the basis for my statement. Along with Jupiter Ascending, the Hyperion series has an interesting take on immortality.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Thanks, I would never have found that; for some reason my memory was convinced that I was looking for a guerilla op video approximately a quarter way in.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Meat Touch

First off I'd say sorry for the delay, but hey the Oilers are finally out of the Playoffs so I was able to find Guavamoment again. Weirdly this video just would not compile in Vegas for me. For no discernible reason. I zipped everything up, gave it to Lune and he ran the exact same set up on it and everything was fine. So no loving clue whats going wrong now, but thank you to Lune for helping save this one. Hopefully I won't need to do that again but there should only be 1 video left worst case anyway.

So about this mission. This is a unique level design and I like a lot of what they did with it. It's objective focused, stealth orientated, and it gives a much stronger vibe of resistance movement and sabotage than I feel from a lot of the other mission. A lot of the resistance movement missions are kind of like 'drop in, smash the place up, rescue a VIP, get out' and that doesn't feel like small guerrilla cell sort of operations to me. This mission is just get in, hack the gibson, and get out. I like it. The other really big thing is the pre-mission prepwork that can be done. Spending intel for in mission tactical bonuses was a cool idea and both Guava and I feel like it was a feature that should have been utilized more. It could have been used on nearly every mission with varying random bonuses given. This would have made Intel a more interesting resource for the game to award and spend more commonly. As is, Intel is only used to contact new regions and occasionally maybe buy something at the black market. With the theme of the game being guerrilla operations I think they should have expanded the Intel as a weapon idea and done more with it. Overall I'm not going to fault the game for it, but it does seem like something of a missed opportunity.

The actual battle side of the mission was pretty sparse this time around, but you don't always get to freely walk 95% of the map to the objective unimpeded. Often times the bridge layout is much less accommodating and the enemy placement is less forgiving. Something not well shown in my video is that fighting high end aliens with only half of your squad is dangerous. Having half as many actions to get things done with really makes every action you take count for a whole lot more than you may be used to. It's what makes the Intel bonuses so powerful. Like for example the bonus that gave every squad member a single use of Run and Gun for the mission; that can be huge in a situation like this mission. Fighting something like an Andromedan with only 3 soldiers is pretty dicey. I suppose this mission can turn out two ways, a stealth sneaking mission like I played out for the LP, or a smash and grab sort of deal like when I played through the game for the first time. In that case it's more of using all your consumables to smash through the couple of aliens as fast as you can and getting to the objective. In either case I have no doubts that this mission could play out very differently for everyone who tries it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

f-friendbot????

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

On my last game, I built a two-room Psionics Lab really early on, so by the end of it I had two fully-speced operatives and two nearly done. I kept the most experienced Psi op for the final mission and sent the rest here.

Three Psi Operatives means three Dominate successes, for a full team of six, making this an easy mission.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

AriadneThread posted:

f-friendbot????

Guavabot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Funny seeing the tower all the way out there. In my first game, the ADVENT Tower was located in the same territory as X-COM HQ.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I see that Jade is already jumping on the trend of AI personalities for YT channels. Now we just need to give Guavabot an appropriate 3d model.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
The Syndicate reboot had a surprisingly fun co-op mode where you actually got to work for the amoral megacorps instead of defecting to a generic resistance movement in the world's most predictable story arc.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I once used this mod that had that intel bonus thing on every mission: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655190779. Apparently it hasn't been updated in a while and there is an updated mod now. Combined with that mod that gives you a crapload of intel things to research (Grimy's Loot Mod?) you can at least have fun things like individual concealment on each mission.

Also LW2 encourages stealth missions and uses the tower mission map as part of the region liberation mechanic, and if I could play that and not have to deal with bullshit numbers of Advent/aliens and micromanagement out the wazoo I might even play it.

EDIT: and they really should force only useful bonuses on that last hack like improving hacking ability or something.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 18, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I agree with you on the intel thing, that's a good call and it's weird that it isn't an option.

Also you have great rapport with guava, i'm glad he's back.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Glad to hear Guavamoment speak with such passion about Syndicate, it honestly sounded like he was close to tears there.

I'd say Satellite Reign, from one of the guys behind Syndicate Wars, was a decent stab at recreating the Syndicate feel. The visuals and atmosphere match up with your nostalgia but the gameplay gets a bit repetitive after a while.

A greater sin is the weaponry feels a bit anemic sadly. Nothing is explosive, nothing matches up to the sound of 4 miniguns roaring or the scary power of the gauss gun taking out everything.

It's worth a look though. It has co-op now which I get the feeling might be a better way to play in order to get the most out of the 4 class system they implemented.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think Trump voters would go "hyuk, that looks good, sign me up for green gooification!"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fwoderwick posted:

A greater sin is the weaponry feels a bit anemic sadly. Nothing is explosive,

???

There's at least three kinds of rocket launcher and you can get grenades literally five minutes into the game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

betamax hipster posted:

The Syndicate reboot had a surprisingly fun co-op mode where you actually got to work for the amoral megacorps instead of defecting to a generic resistance movement in the world's most predictable story arc.

That co-op mode was so good, too. Coincidence or not???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

GuavbotMoment

• Locked thread