Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
lightning lord is right but you're still this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

lightning lord is right but you're still this

That's not an argument, sorry :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HIJK posted:

That's not an argument, sorry :v:

it wasn't an argument, it was a statement of fact

you = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

NICE

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

nice

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if some form of the ACA repeal-and-replace gets out of congress and is signed by trump, i have a good chance of losing medicaid coverage because it cuts several billion dollars of federal funds for New York to run it. meanwhile, the best chance for me to get a career position in the field i want to work in is to volunteer at a hospital for no pay because there are zero entry-level jobs for it where i live. so why should i buy into the full-court press on Russia? there's something to it, but trump isn't going to get impeached over it, which is the endgame for democrats and their surrogates in the media

comedyblissoption posted:

without knowing anything about feminism or prominent activists of that cause and just being a dude, it seems superficially to me that there is a strain of feminist that believes putting women in positions of power is the most important thing. putting women in positions of power is more important than the policies of these women in power.
while that's different from terminally woke feminism, this is a real belief among influential people, many of whom were full-throated supporters of hillary clinton

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

get that OUT of my face posted:

if some form of the ACA repeal-and-replace gets out of congress and is signed by trump, i have a good chance of losing medicaid coverage because it cuts several billion dollars of federal funds for New York to run it. meanwhile, the best chance for me to get a career position in the field i want to work in is to volunteer at a hospital for no pay because there are zero entry-level jobs for it where i live. so why should i buy into the full-court press on Russia? there's something to it, but trump isn't going to get impeached over it, which is the endgame for democrats and their surrogates in the media

You don't have to "buy into the full-court press on Russia", whatever the gently caress that means.

You can and should recognize that it's in your interest to make Congress dig into all the Trump-Russia bullshit thoroughly, if for no other reason that it would give them less time to try and pass repeal-and-replace legislation.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You don't have to "buy into the full-court press on Russia", whatever the gently caress that means.

You can and should recognize that it's in your interest to make Congress dig into all the Trump-Russia bullshit thoroughly, if for no other reason that it would give them less time to try and pass repeal-and-replace legislation.

In the magical event that Trump really is a moscowian candidate and we aren't just burning all the money because an ideologically compromised security firm jumped at red shadows what is the actual result you think we will get that will be in any way positive. Natsec is already compromised to a degree that Trump will not come close to going by yesterday's statement from Shadowbrokers regarding the eternalblue package.

In the event you impeach trump for doing something that until he did the places currently attacking him were calling for you get a president who thinks gay internment and reeducation camps are a good use of public funds.

The other idiocy of the Russia stuff is that even if it makes people who aren't bolted on dems care about trump it still does gently caress all to win the fights that matter like the house, Senate and state governments.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I guess my point was how does any of that have to do with mocking poo poo? Like, if you want to make fun of the Russian thing feel free, it'll just make you look like an idiot. If you want this to be the Democratic strategy thread, gently caress that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

I guess my point was how does any of that have to do with mocking poo poo? Like, if you want to make fun of the Russian thing feel free, it'll just make you look like an idiot. If you want this to be the Democratic strategy thread, gently caress that.

Oh god. It's us. We're the ones that should be mocked :negative:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think it's wrong to look at people like Louise Mensch and Seth Abramson and Eric Garland, and not come away pretty skeptical. Whatever actual fire comes out of the smoke is going to be way less exciting than people want it to be. Are people afraid of foreign influence on our political system? Great. Then let's root out the Israel lobby, or Saudi Arabia's influence, or the influence of multinational corporations that cheat on their taxes owed to us instead of using the Treasury Department as a weapon to defend Apple abroad. I'm all for consistency.

The problem is that Trump and his crew are a gaggle of idiotic buffons who are having a 24/7 meltdown on the taxpayer dollar only feeds the fire, and when people like the woman who thinks her florist and free wi-fi networks are agents of the Russian Deep State gets legitimized in places like the New York Times, their unreality issues and derangement only being accelerated by the feedback loop of social media, it begins to create a toxic environment for anything actually getting done about the crippling foundations of our country and the millions that have fallen into poverty and will continue into poverty.

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 22:46 on May 18, 2017

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Byolante posted:

The other idiocy of the Russia stuff is that even if it makes people who aren't bolted on dems care about trump it still does gently caress all to win the fights that matter like the house, Senate and state governments.

The 2006 wave didn't happen because Pelosi and Reid inspired the masses, it happened because the news came out that a number of Republicans were straight up crooks, and Bush's brand was toxic.

I understand that you'd rather that Dems at least tried to inspire the masses, and so would I, but at long last Dems are taking a page out of the Republican playbook and doing everything in their power to make the other guys radioactive.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

so what do you all think about accused sjw communist laci green who is really a milquetoast liberal sex educator starting to actively engage brokebrains like sargon or some poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lightning Lord posted:

so what do you all think about accused sjw communist laci green who is really a milquetoast liberal sex educator starting to actively engage brokebrains like sargon or some poo poo

nothing

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I thought maybe this was some great refuting of #woke or whatever

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

The wokers hate her for switching sides and the YouTube 'intellectuals' hate her because they think she's still woke and only doing it for views.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

I try not to think about whatever this post is talking about

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also I'd be more annoyed by the whole trump-russia thing if it weren't proven to be a legitimate political tactic with the whole emails thing, and also because it's making trump implode

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

i mean ... laci green is a bit of a joke herself..... bit of a silly goose in my opinion!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think with Trump the conclusion I've reached is that he has no allies and thus why this Russian thing keeps popping up.

The Paul Ryan wing hates his rear end and threw him under the bus many-a-time leading up to and after his election. The democrats hate him. The "deep state" (CIA/FBI) hates him. The media hates him as well. Even Fox News is apathetic at best about the man at times.

Obama, Bush, Clinton...all got bailed out by their party, various media outlets during their time in office. This whole thing may or may not be true, but he has no life saver to reach out to. it spoke volumes for example that Chuck Schumer said some sort of line being :smug: about how you're not supposed to make enemies with the intelligence agencies, and that's likely what we're seeing about now.

I'm just not quite so sure if the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" works in this scenario. Impeaching/removing Trump from office is largely cosmetic at this point and does little to solve the systemic problems from the local government on up.

I mean it's probably going to happen at this point, but the damage everyone who I just typed up is already done. (and it's been done for a long rear end time)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Byolante posted:

The wokers hate her for switching sides and the YouTube 'intellectuals' hate her because they think she's still woke and only doing it for views.

I'm just curious if everyone who is like "black people should be in more movies" is a woker or if it's only for the crazies

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

who the hell is that

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm just curious if everyone who is like "black people should be in more movies" is a woker or if it's only for the crazies

if their concern about black people ends and begins at some arbitrary % of "representation" in media then they are broke-brain Woke.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

who the hell is that

a youtube feminist who is "engaging" the hard right

I think my brain might be breaking and I'm becoming convinced a wave of nazi kids are going to sweep through America

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

if their concern about black people ends and begins at some arbitrary % of "representation" in media then they are broke-brain Woke.

true equality is an equal % of each race, gender, and sexual orientation represented in the next halo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Office Surprise Store posted:

true equality is an equal % of each race, gender, and sexual orientation represented in the next halo

chapo nailed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mVkx_cx3q0&t

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lightning Lord posted:

a youtube feminist who is "engaging" the hard right

I think my brain might be breaking and I'm becoming convinced a wave of nazi kids are going to sweep through America

get off the loving internet for a while

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

while that's different from terminally woke feminism, this is a real belief among influential people, many of whom were full-throated supporters of hillary clinton

Would they vote for Palin if she ran?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

super sweet best pal posted:

only if she had a D by her name. she could otherwise be the same in every way, and she'd be considered the most progressive candidate ever.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Julie_Johnsoned/status/865319213535301635

super sweet best pal posted:

I've been trying to determine that.

I believe I saw sexism directed at palin a couple of times during the 08 election, but I don't recall anyone really standing up for her in good faith. I mean you had the Hannity's of the world stand up for her, but that's coming from a place of being tribal rather than standing up against some percieved sexism.

Is being pro-life a deal breaker I guess? It has to be that and the amount of sway the Clinton's have had within the left since 1992 or so.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I think that stuff matters but absolutely melting down over it in place of social justice that is focused on economics is bad

that said what's to be done when the reaction to women making games is to accuse them of being literal succubi?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Lightning Lord posted:

This was the "Mock Democrats" thread until the mods killed it and remade it into the "Mock Someone" thread. So all the regulars from the old thread still post here to mock the democrats and all the people that were complaining that they couldn't drop sick burns on all the regulars quickly gave up because :effort:

This isn't the altright/gamergate thread.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

This post may as well have been written in hieroglyphs because my brain didn't parse any of it

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/Julie_Johnsoned/status/865319213535301635

I've been trying to determine that.

Is being pro-life a deal breaker I guess? It has to be that and the amount of sway the Clinton's have had within the left since 1992 or so.

Sharing one of my (least) favorite anecdotes of DNC pettiness.

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rauch/nvp/civil/hentoff_casey.html

quote:

...As governor of Pennsylvania from 1987 to 1994, Casey created model school-based child-care programs that offered infants and preschoolers--including poor children--full-day services and before- and after-school programs. That way, teenage parents could stay in school and poor adults could go to work knowing their children were safe. He lobbied unsuccessfully for universal health care in his state, but, failing that, as The New York Times reported in its May 31 obituary, "he did sign a bill providing health insurance for children whose families were too poor to pay for it but whose incomes were too high to be eligible for public assistance." Before breast cancer became a political cliche, Casey invested $1 million in awareness and screening for the disease and required HMOs to pay for annual mammograms for women over 40.

Nonetheless, Casey's party treated him with disdain. As the 1992 Democratic Convention in New York approached, Casey told me he expected, in light of his policy accomplishments and political loyalty, to be a speaker, maybe even the keynote speaker. But he wasn't the keynote speaker. The honor of nominating Clinton went to New York Governor Mario Cuomo, who ignited the crowd by declaring, "Bill Clinton believes, as we all here do, in the first principle of our Democratic commitment: the politics of inclusion."...Casey was not asked to speak. In fact, he and his Pennsylvania delegation were exiled to the farthest reaches of Madison Square Garden--because Casey was pro-life...

Casey had the misfortune of being present during a great shift in the Democratic Party. A mere six years earlier, on September 26, 1986, then-Governor Bill Clinton of Arkansas had assured the head of his state's chapter of the National Right to Life Committee, "I am opposed to abortion and to government funding of abortion." But, by the early '90s, the Democrats, seeking the votes of upper-middle-class Republican women, were de-emphasizing economic protection and stressing cultural libertarianism. And, just to make sure everyone got the message, Democratic strategists invited Kathy Taylor, a pro-choice Pennsylvania Republican who had helped defeat Casey's progressive tax reforms, to the New York convention. She appeared onstage pledging the National Abortion Rights Action League's allegiance to the Clinton-Gore team. Then DNC officials sent Taylor, with a camera crew in tow, to find Casey in "Outer Mongolia," as he put it, to further humiliate him. Tipped off, he declined the national exposure. Shortly before Casey left the convention, Al Gore called him to apologize for any embarrassment. The governor told me dryly that he doubted Gore was speaking from the heart.

(More in link)

As for Palin I vaguely remember seeing an article in -I think it was The Guardian- saying "Hey, can we cut out the sexist behavior against Palin?"

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

I think that stuff matters but absolutely melting down over it in place of social justice that is focused on economics is bad

that said what's to be done when the reaction to women making games is to accuse them of being literal succubi?

I think the feminist commentators that engage in good faith are largely welcomed or left to do their thing without harassment though? You don't see the sort of hate being thrown at Liana Kerzner or Christina Hoff Sommers that you do at the regulars. It probably has to do with which side they fall on of the great dwork debate really.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Byolante posted:

I think the feminist commentators that engage in good faith ... Christina Hoff Sommers

hahahahahahahahahaha

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm glad that i don't recognize a good chunk of the names thrown around in this thread

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
the lady who gives talks with milo yiannopolous, oh yes mmm hmmm good faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Byolante posted:

I think the feminist commentators that engage in good faith are largely welcomed or left to do their thing without harassment though? You don't see the sort of hate being thrown at Liana Kerzner or Christina Hoff Sommers that you do at the regulars. It probably has to do with which side they fall on of the great dwork debate really.

This says so much about you.

• Locked thread