Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

They need to do some kind of rolling server restarts every 3-4 days till they can get the monthly june patch out because drat the game runs fine for the first couple of days after the weekly patch downtime.

Yeah it's unplayable on my end, the game finally loads after the problems I was having after last night but the rubber banding and lag issues are absolutely horrendous atm and the game has gone from "working OK and consistently playable" to "not even worth booting up"

early access :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ironically this is one of the best EA games I've ever played which is really saying a LOT about how lovely EA games usually are

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Ironically this is one of the best EA games I've ever played which is really saying a LOT about how lovely EA games usually are

Better than its contemporaries, for sure.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
To be honest I've really never experienced any of what I'd call "rubber banding" except on the pregame island where people are spawning in invisibly and I'm running into them. I don't know if this is because I've messed with my nvidia control panel settings a bunch or what but my computer definitely is shittier than most of my friends who run it with issues but refuse to mess with any settings besides the basic in game ones for hours to get a 50% fps increase. gently caress the biggest change was probably just sucking it up and dropping the resolution down and putting it on a ssd

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I've experienced rubber banding a lot. I've been chalking it up to my own lovely internet connection though which has been performing poorly the past few days.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I played for 5 hours straight yesterday with no network issues worth noting but today I was rubber banding so bad that it was unplayable.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Chard posted:

It's been recommended that you turn your draw distance and textures up to shift load to the GPU. I think that was partially debunked but FWIW it seemed to help my performance a bit, but mainly this is just an EA game and will contain massive jank for some time to come.

e: shoulda refreshed

I got nerd triggered and wrote a lot about textures. Short version:

- settings like textures and draw distance do not move load between CPU and GPU, reasoning based on that idea is wrong

- If a higher setting works better, use it and don't waste time theorizing about why. Relatively unoptimized early access game has weird performance quirks, who knew

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Anyone tell me what I was doing wrong here?! Can't seem to put my finger on it:

https://streamable.com/lbvra

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I think the whole "shifting load to the GPU via graphics settings" thing was born from the ArmA days, where a weird quirk of that particular system would allow you to do that an see an actual result. I don't think UE4 has any such quirks. Some people apparently cannot tell the difference between this and ArmA.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Enallyniv posted:

I've heard good things about the 2600k's OC potential but I'm running stock cooling (and am cautious about temperature/noise) and honestly don't think I've ever run into anything that taxes it that badly. Can't say I've ever regretted the investment in this build.

An SSD has to be one of the most important parts of a PUBG-ready PC.

Just buy a Hyper 212 and install it, then pump the multiplier up to 44 (4.4ghz). Otherwise you're leaving performance on the table. Sandy Bridge was the last gen to use good thermal paste under the IHS, so its minimal fuss.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Olewithmilk posted:

Blood splatter is client side you probably weren't actually shooting him or you were hitting his legs which is 50% damage reduction. Actually you might have just been shooting a body, I've done that!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Blood splatter is client side you probably weren't actually shooting him or you were hitting his legs which is 50% damage reduction. Actually you might have just been shooting a body, I've done that!

he was shooting a dead body

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Olewithmilk posted:

Are you talking about the dead body you kept shooting?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:agreed:, until last night I was having more fun than a lot of properly released games and I think the only other EA game I played consistently before just giving up was Rust. Really hoping the next patch fixes my issues or maybe a server reset or something

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Olewithmilk posted:

lmao I have literally done this exact same thing at the end of a round :downs:

Just one more shot!!

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Enallyniv posted:

I've heard good things about the 2600k's OC potential but I'm running stock cooling (and am cautious about temperature/noise) and honestly don't think I've ever run into anything that taxes it that badly. Can't say I've ever regretted the investment in this build.

I have decent cooling on my 2600k, and definitely saw decent gains in gaming when I finally got round to raising my OC to 4.3GHz.

But yeah, I have the game on a non-OS SSD and I think that helps a lot.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

wrong thread!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

But yeah, I have the game on a non-OS SSD and I think that helps a lot.
Is it worse to have it on the OS drive?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

willroc7 posted:

Is it worse to have it on the OS drive?

It will be performing background read/write operations which can slow it down I believe is the reasoning

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

So... cars and the river... you just drive through it? Why is the m419 so rare? Is this the most up to date weapons info? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PDqd9nBVKhqc4skamr2qG6J4sfWFtg8gDQMCYUkSNDw/edit?pageId=112601505744741141343#gid=0

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Isn't the M419 exclusive to supply drops?

Just did a few rounds starting in the school. UMP is king.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Enallyniv posted:

Isn't the M419 exclusive to supply drops?

Just did a few rounds starting in the school. UMP is king.

M416 is the M4 on that spreadsheet. The M249 is an air drop only LMG.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

M416 is the M4 on that spreadsheet. The M249 is an air drop only LMG.

Haha my bad, same question but m416. I'm trying to figure out which rifle I go for besides whichever one I have the best attachments/ammo for. I just want to theory craft with real damage numbers mannn.

I've only gotten the m249 once from a drop and boy was it fun dumping 100 rounds at some guys who tried to jump me and hide behind their car. Is it a Must Pick Up when you see it?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
M249 is really good when you have the chance to actually use the bipod (which with the prone restrictions is harder than you'd think) since you can't place it on ledges or anything. Off bipod you have to burst fire because it's inaccurate as gently caress.

Personally I'd choose the M16 or the SCAR-L over the M416.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

M249 is really good when you have the chance to actually use the bipod (which with the prone restrictions is harder than you'd think) since you can't place it on ledges or anything. Off bipod you have to burst fire because it's inaccurate as gently caress.

Personally I'd choose the M16 or the SCAR-L over the M416.

Does the bipod come in the drop? The drop I got it from had been looted already but the left the gun and ammo but no bipod I believe.

The handful of times I've used a m416 with a scope I did extremely well, could just be anecdotal though. What about m16 vs scar? Pick any attachment scenario you want.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Does the bipod come in the drop? The drop I got it from had been looted already but the left the gun and ammo but no bipod I believe.

The handful of times I've used a m416 with a scope I did extremely well, could just be anecdotal though. What about m16 vs scar? Pick any attachment scenario you want.

Bipod comes on the gun standard, it can't be removed.

If you have all the Scar attachments (read: the vertical grips that are everywhere and a compensator) it's slightly more accurate than the M16 since they changed the recoil pattern a month back; it's more your preference for burst fire over full auto. M416's butt stock doesn't do anything as far as I know.

To be honest with the SKS's weird accuracy issues I'm not sure if it's a good pickup if you have a Kar98k lying around as well.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Bipod comes on the gun standard, it can't be removed.

If you have all the Scar attachments (read: the vertical grips that are everywhere and a compensator) it's slightly more accurate than the M16 since they changed the recoil pattern a month back; it's more your preference for burst fire over full auto. M416's butt stock doesn't do anything as far as I know.

To be honest with the SKS's weird accuracy issues I'm not sure if it's a good pickup if you have a Kar98k lying around as well.

I've never tried the burst, it seems too.. restricting. Does it group decently or is it a relatively close situational thing

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

I've never tried the burst, it seems too.. restricting. Does it group decently or is it a relatively close situational thing

It's good up close where 2 of the 3 rounds will hit the target, it's also good for hitting people out of cars. Really wouldn't use it at longer ranges (you can see why as I don't hit anything once I pop the guy out of the car)

https://streamable.com/k67a1

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Haha my bad, same question but m416. I'm trying to figure out which rifle I go for besides whichever one I have the best attachments/ammo for. I just want to theory craft with real damage numbers mannn.

I've only gotten the m249 once from a drop and boy was it fun dumping 100 rounds at some guys who tried to jump me and hide behind their car. Is it a Must Pick Up when you see it?

You want the SCAR:

I had a lot of luck finding and kitting up SCAR-L's today and I have a quick overview for you all:

• the vertical fore grip seems to work better than the angled fire grip since most of its recoil seems to be vertical. Also the VF is significantly easier to find
  • having a silencer or a compensator makes the SCAR a goddamn laser and I absolutely should not have gotten some of the kills that I managed to get
  • two clips dumped into a vehicle will blow it up and kill everyone onboard, much to their disappointment

Also I think I've find my dream setup: kitted red dot SCAR and 4x/8x Kar98. I used to prefer a shotty or an ump but the scar is just way too versatile. The next best loadout is a SCAR with the M16 with 4x/8x although honestly I was able to switch to semi auto and toss an 8x on the SCAR in a pinch and slaughtered a four man team quickly and easily because the recoil is very light.

All in all everyone should be aiming to have a SCAR on hand for best user experience

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Kibbles n Shits posted:

[snip] Is there any way to make the FPS bearable though? I have a 3570k and a GTX 970. The quality settings are stripped to the bone and I'm getting FPS all over the place from 25 to 60. I assume not, but just checking that there isn't one weird trick to getting competitive FPS in Pgrounds.

I have the exact same card and CPU, with only 8 GB RAM off my SSD. No clocks changed from factory settings because I'm frightened of doing something dumb with them.
I seem to do pretty well. The FPS really only takes a dive when someone is watching me via the Steam Broadcast or when this bizarre thing I've mentioned before happens, where my inventory can take dozens of seconds to open while I'm stuck waving my mouse around a frozen frame.

Running at 2560x1440 (because I am dumb) on these settings:
code:
Screen Scale      100
Anti-Aliasing     Very Low
Post-Processing   Very Low
Shadows           Low
Textures          Medium
Effects           Medium
Foliage           Ultra
View Distance     Ultra
Motion Blur       Unchecked
Does Nvidia or GeForce Experience have a FPS tracker/benchmarker tool I could run to prove these things to myself?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Roumba posted:

Does Nvidia or GeForce Experience have a FPS tracker/benchmarker tool I could run to prove these things to myself?

MSI afterburner is probably what you want for that (also since you can use it for on screen displays of clock speed/temp, etc)

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For Nvidia users, going to the Nvidia Control Panel and forcing Threaded Optimization to on has been giving a lot of people a serious FPS boost since last patch. There are people reporting a 30-50% increase commonly. Worth trying if you have a geforce.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Never, ever get in a wheat field with Moonsha. You will die and so will everyone else, one way or another.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/144958213

aniviron posted:

For Nvidia users, going to the Nvidia Control Panel and forcing Threaded Optimization to on has been giving a lot of people a serious FPS boost since last patch. There are people reporting a 30-50% increase commonly. Worth trying if you have a geforce.

P.sure this is the same as -USEALLAVAILABLECORES command line.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i've killed one guy in ten games and it was with a pistol

some day i'll do better

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Sea Sponge Run posted:

i've killed one guy in ten games and it was with a pistol

some day i'll do better

Once you figure out how to loot, start dropping in high value loot areas and pick one person parachuting near you and chase him and beat him to death or find a gun and kill him. Repeat this until you're comfortable using the weapons. Just be really aggressive about it

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just had a great game where I was all set with a scar and 8x scope. Managed to headshot one guy as he went for a crate and had a really nice set-up with a shady, out of the way spot right near the middle of the circle for the final 20. Then a guy ran right up to my bush, what fortune! I gunned him down and, just as I went to loot his body, fatal error. :negative:

PUBG giveth and PUBG taketh away.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

PantsBandit posted:

Just had a great game where I was all set with a scar and 8x scope. Managed to headshot one guy as he went for a crate and had a really nice set-up with a shady, out of the way spot right near the middle of the circle for the final 20. Then a guy ran right up to my bush, what fortune! I gunned him down and, just as I went to loot his body, fatal error. :negative:

PUBG giveth and PUBG taketh away.

If you are all set equipment wise you should never loot when in the final stretch :P

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Got second in a streamer's SMG/Crates only custom game.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/144920852

Starts at about 6:30:00 ends at 7:02:00.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

WirelessPillow posted:

If you are all set equipment wise you should never loot when in the final stretch :P

Stop looting; Start shooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Stop looting; Start shooting

Yeah, realistically you have a higher chance of finding that suppressor by killing a dude than searching 20 more houses.

• Locked thread