Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

mojo1701a posted:

We could do worse than a cartoon mouse as our lord and master.

we already did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
This is going to sound really lame, but it seems to be an unpopular opinion within my social circle--the idea that at ages 30+ (most of my friends are older than me so mid-thirties), getting absolutely trashed every single weekend/social gathering/family get-together is not cool or the only way to have fun.

I like having some drinks as much as the next guy, but I'm so over going out to a bar/houseparty several days (or even weeks) in a row and getting totally wasted. I mean, I still drink heavily every once in a while, maybe a couple of times per year, but I know so many people who's goal is seemingly to get shitfaced at every opportunity. Personally, I can't deal with the hangovers anymore, and I feel like at this point in my life there are so many more rewarding things I could be doing instead. There are an awful lot of people that I know who are my age or older than me who haven't seemed to internalize the old "you don't need alcohol to have a good time" adage.

It was one thing in your twenties; in your thirties it's starting to become sad and looks increasingly like a drinking problem.

(Plus smoking weed is better anyways)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I've noticed even the biggest partiers tend to mellow out by their 30's. The dudes still partying like they're 20 into their mid 30's are just alcoholics or have suffered some sort of arrested development in their lives.
I knew a couple dudes who just could not grow up. They were cool 20-something hipsters 15 years ago and now they're 40 but still living the 20-something lifestyle and still trying to pick up 20-something's at parties and it's just really sad. They always have some chips on their shoulder or can't handle getting older.

What's adorable and hilarious is when a bunch of mid-30's people who used to party now but have grown out of it decided to do it again for old times sake but they're "out of practise" so get way too drunk way too fast and then have those horrible 2-day hangovers only olds can have.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Like, if the parent were to calmly confiscate and sell the device is that pretty much just as bad in your mind, or?

I don't know about calmly in this wonderful case from about 13 years ago:

quote:

Selling Son's Beloved Play Station 2 For Punishment!

Parents please let your children read this auction.

It was a glory day when my son received his Play Station 2. This beloved machine was his prize possession. He played, if not for hours at a time. When he would not take care of anything else, but he took care of this little treasure of his. Ground him, take away phone privileges………….anything but this PS2.

UP FOR AUCTION OR

FOR SALE DUE TO PUNISHMENT

PLAY STATION 2

PS2

USED

PLAYS GREAT! ASK MY SON

CHICKNWING@SBCGLOBAL.NET

COMES WITH TWO CONTROLERS

SOME TYPE OF MEMORY CARD

NO GAMES

NO RESERVE

Here is the story: This weekend my 13 year old son decided to be destructive, deceptive and disobedient. I had a bugle I was selling on Ebay and while I was out he decided to “play” with it. Sunday morning when the auction was to end, He picked up the bugle and asked me if I knew it was broken. He handed me the bugle which he had “played” with and both solder joints were broken and since it was out of alignment the slide is now stiff.

Lets back up one night. That was the tip of the iceberg. Saturday night I send my son & his friend to the skating rink like the rest of the parents. I was to pick him up from the skating rink after it ended. Well he went home, while I was not there with his friend and they invited someone I do not know to the house while WE were not there. I get home about 11:30 PM and find the house is wrecked. Beer was missing. Confronted son and friends about beer…Yes they had drank the beer. -$6.00 Strike one!

Get up the next morning only the find the mysteriously broken bugle! -$51.00 Strike Two!

Here is the kicker…………..Husband finds the corkscrew in the floor and part of a cork in the floor. Ask son who is play his beloved Play Station 2 if he has any thing he would like to tell us?

Son- “No”

Dad- “Really?

Son- “No”

Dad- “what did you use this corkscrew for?”

Son- “To open the beer.”

Dad- “What about this cork?”

Son- “What cork?”

Dad- “This cork.”

Son “Oh, THAT cork. I drank some wine too.”

Dad- “Well I hope you enjoyed that because it cost $120.00 a bottle!”

LET THE YELLING BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s right my 13 year old son drank a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne- 1995. PUT IT BACK IN THE FRIDGE WITH PART OF A CORK AND THE LITTLE METAL THING BACK ON TOP! -$120.00.

THAT BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE WAS A GIFT THAT WE HAVE BEEN SAVING FOR OVER A YEAR FOR THAT “SPECIAL” OCCASION.

SO I AM MINUS ABOUT $177 FOR THIS WEEKEND LITTLE ANTICS. NOT TO MENTION THE AGGRAVATION OF THE ARUGING, LYING AND DECEPTION. I AM NOT GOING TO PUT UP WITH THAT KIND OF BEHAVIOR FROM A CHILD. EVEN A 6’3” 13 YEAR OR ANY ONE WHO DISRESPECTS ME & MY STUFF.

SO CHILDREN LISTEN UP DO NOT DISRESPECT YPUR PARENTS YOUR FRIENDS OR YOURSELF BECAUSE US PARENTS ARE SMARTER THAN YOU AND WE WILL FIND OUT ABOUT ANY AND ALL THINGS YOU TRY TO HIDE.

I AM SELLING THOS PRIZE possession TO RECOOP WHAT I LOST.

THIS IS NOT THE ACTUAL PICTURE BUT I WILL ADD ONE OF THE ACTUAL SYSTEM WHEN I GET A CHANCE TO TAKE A PICTURE.

HAPPY BIDDING!

I wish I had a screenshot of this, but alas.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
There's nothing wrong with confiscating stuff at all. It's the incredibly angry weirdos who video tape themselves smashing phones and poo poo that creep me the gently caress out. Like that weirdo who got pissed his daughter made a mean Facebook post about him and then made a video shooting her laptop with a shotgun and acting like a mega badass.

If you're willing to rage out that bad and smash poo poo because your kid made you mad it ain't crazy to think you're beating them too.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
It doesn't seem obvious to me that the parent in that story was unhinged or anything but I may need to take a second pass at it.

e: That was in response to the PS2 story, not insane laptop-shooter. I completely agree with you there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea I got electronics taken from me as a kid, which is a perfectly fine punishment. Key word being "taken" not "smashed" which is just being pointlessly cruel to your children. I can only imagine the crazy amount of resentment that breeds.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The worst was a dude who walked into the living room and yelled at his kid for playing games all day. The kid gave some back talk sure, but then the dude started screaming, grabbed all the games and threw them into a bonfire while laughing and yelling at the crying kid.

Or the dude who forced his son to sledgehammer his Xbox and when the kid said he didn't want to made some threatening comments until he did it.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Definitely in psycho territory for all of those examples and that is, I would hope, obvious to most people.

It was mostly the other bit I was curious about. A year or two back, my daughter (13) got her ipod touch taken away indefinitely because my wife discovered she was using it for some potentially dangerous and age-inappropriate purposes. I mentioned this in a class I was taking and got mobbed by a bunch of students who felt this sort of "social deprivation" was abuse - if not outright torture, hindering to her development as a person, etc.

I was weirded out by the very concept.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Baronjutter posted:

What's adorable and hilarious is when a bunch of mid-30's people who used to party now but have grown out of it decided to do it again for old times sake but they're "out of practise" so get way too drunk way too fast and then have those horrible 2-day hangovers only olds can have.

Add in 'in bed by 10' and this is me lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Oh god, President Disney has declared a dictatorship.

mojo1701a posted:

We could do worse than a cartoon mouse as our lord and master.

<massive picture of bob iger>

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Definitely in psycho territory for all of those examples and that is, I would hope, obvious to most people.

It was mostly the other bit I was curious about. A year or two back, my daughter (13) got her ipod touch taken away indefinitely because my wife discovered she was using it for some potentially dangerous and age-inappropriate purposes. I mentioned this in a class I was taking and got mobbed by a bunch of students who felt this sort of "social deprivation" was abuse - if not outright torture, hindering to her development as a person, etc.

I was weirded out by the very concept.

It's not abuse or social deprivation and having your social life potentially destroyed by a dumb mistake you made at 13 is a hundred times worse than getting your luxury toy taken away. (If it's not what I'm assuming it is, I apologize. I just remember the world suddenly getting skeevy towards me as a 13 year-old girl and me not having the faculties to really navigate it.) Your daughter still went to school and saw her friends, just without a personal electronic device. Like every kid before 2004. Or oh no, a poor kid! Gross! Anyway, she was more socially stimulated than your average homeschooled kid every day. You just stopped her from unwittingly causing damage to herself.

On punishment, the abuse comes when you do it with violence. Smashing something, screaming, throwing things? Those are the actions that could damage a kid. They expect you, an adult, to be in control and it's terrifying for them to see you lose it. They suddenly realize their safeguard is actually a danger.

I'm :corsair: at 29.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People place far too much value on having a college education. If I compare what I learned in my 9 years of college to what I learned in the 3 and a half years since then, it's not even close. You learn far more on the job.

Especially since you don't really need to be smart to go to college, you just need to be willing to pay.

I would also argue that experience with another company is largely irrelevant, because chances are the new company does things completely differently and while you might have a slight step up on someone fresh out of college, in both cases you'll most likely be starting from relative scratch as you get used to how they do things. Being a good fit personality-wise and being motivated to do a good job and having loyalty to the company is far more important than the degrees and experience on your resume.

In summary, HR departments/people in charge of hiring in general don't know what they are doing. People who don't understand what the job even is should never be allowed to look at resumes and decide who gets interviewed and who doesn't.

I guess this is accurate if you're like a Janitor or something, sure.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Soundgarden's song "Black Hole Sun", along with the video and "Hunger Strike" by Temple of the Dog are the only good things Chris Cornell did musically.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Soundgarden's song "Black Hole Sun", along with the video and "Hunger Strike" by Temple of the Dog are the only good things Chris Cornell did musically.

True, but cover versions of Black Hole Sun are almost always better than the original (for instance, Steve & Eydie)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Das Boo posted:

It's not abuse or social deprivation and having your social life potentially destroyed by a dumb mistake you made at 13 is a hundred times worse than getting your luxury toy taken away. (If it's not what I'm assuming it is, I apologize. I just remember the world suddenly getting skeevy towards me as a 13 year-old girl and me not having the faculties to really navigate it.) Your daughter still went to school and saw her friends, just without a personal electronic device. Like every kid before 2004. Or oh no, a poor kid! Gross! Anyway, she was more socially stimulated than your average homeschooled kid every day. You just stopped her from unwittingly causing damage to herself.

This was more or less my exact thought process. Thanks for putting it so well. For clarity, there were no nudes THANK loving GOD that I know of, but whatever other bad thing you were imagining probably wasn't far off the mark. I don't know how any kid navigates the world now. At that age, I was probably still blushing at implied romance in whatever dragon-y novel I was reading.

Worst part was/is, we are pretty poor and, having grown up not all that well off, I get how hard that can be. We scrimped for the drat thing 'cause I figured it would be something at least. How the hell do other parents effectively monitor these things? Maybe they just don't, which terrifies me.

I'm :corsair: at 33, so you aren't alone.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

This was more or less my exact thought process. Thanks for putting it so well. For clarity, there were no nudes THANK loving GOD that I know of, but whatever other bad thing you were imagining probably wasn't far off the mark. I don't know how any kid navigates the world now. At that age, I was probably still blushing at implied romance in whatever dragon-y novel I was reading.

Worst part was/is, we are pretty poor and, having grown up not all that well off, I get how hard that can be. We scrimped for the drat thing 'cause I figured it would be something at least. How the hell do other parents effectively monitor these things? Maybe they just don't, which terrifies me.

I'm :corsair: at 33, so you aren't alone.

Agh, the poor part makes it worse. The fact that you had to sacrifice to get your daughter her device and then get yelled at and told you're abusive when you take it away is a double slap. I assure you at least in this regard, you're being a good and responsible parent.

I can only imagine it's gotten worse with prevalence of social media the ease of picture/video sending. My experience was all restricted to lurid chatroom poo poo, likely because it took an hour to download 2 mb at that point.

:corsair: :corsair: :corsair:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, honestly the idea of young teens/tweens having access to modern social media and smart phones is kinda scary. While the internet existed when I was that age, it wasn't anything like it is now (MySpace wasn't launched until around my junior year of high school) and the only real avenues for skeeviness were chatrooms or AIM. While you could obviously encounter a lot of the same issues through the late 90's/early 2000's internet (people could creep on each other in chatrooms, for example), it was a bit more difficult to locate random people based off of their age, location, etc and people couldn't upload and view photos of each other as easily. Communication with peers was effectively "invite only" in the sense that you had to tell someone else your AIM handle; they couldn't just look you up on Facebook. And that's not getting into stuff like smart phones and their cameras, etc.

It's a tough issue, because I imagine there are now a bunch of social expectations to have access to this sort of technology for contemporary teens. I guess the best thing you can do is try to create the sort of relationship with your child where they trust you and would feel comfortable telling you if anything weird happens to them online.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

OldTennisCourt posted:

Or the dude who forced his son to sledgehammer his Xbox and when the kid said he didn't want to made some threatening comments until he did it.

I'm trying to imagine the kind of threats you could make to someone who's holding a sledgehammer...

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm trying to imagine the kind of threats you could make to someone who's holding a sledgehammer...

"DON'T MAKE ME TAKE THAT SLEDGEHAMMER AWAY FROM YOU AND PUT THE XBOX BACK INSIDE WHERE IT GOES. I'LL HOOK IT BACK UP I SWEAR TO GOD YOU LITTLE ASSFUCK."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It was mostly the other bit I was curious about. A year or two back, my daughter (13) got her ipod touch taken away indefinitely because my wife discovered she was using it for some potentially dangerous and age-inappropriate purposes.
What dangerous and inappropriate uses can an ipod be put to? Isn't it just an MP3 player?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

An iPod Touch can run all iPhone apps

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's got pretty simple parental controls on it.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Chelsea Manning is pretty

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bill Watterson is (was) a hack.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
What kind of hack refuses merchandising income and ends his strip before it grows stale instead of licensing it out to someone else?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

What kind of hack refuses merchandising income and ends his strip before it grows stale instead of licensing it out to someone else?

It went really loving stale really loving soon.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

It went really loving stale really loving soon.

You are an incredibly sad little man, gooningly raging at the universally beloved because contrarianism gets your little pizzle hard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe you shouldn't read this thread.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
You're right. What I said was hardly unpopular. :smug:

If you were to give some kind of argument, or a line of reasoning I might buy it, but I think you were just trying to be provocative.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The kid is like 7 and he's crying and saying he doesn't want to while the dad is like" loving EXCUSE ME, WHAT THE gently caress DID IS SAY? loving DO IT OR I'LL loving DO IT". It's really disturbing.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

We Know Catheters posted:

Chelsea Manning is pretty

She could get it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe you shouldn't read this thread.

TBF, we've never treated this as a safe space for unpopular opinions. Which maybe defeats the point I dunno

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

TBF, we've never treated this as a safe space for unpopular opinions. Which maybe defeats the point I dunno

I don't really know... I'm old enough that Popular Goon Opinions don't matter much but I just don't want anyone to have a coronary about something ITT.

e: That's a nice avatar :laffo:

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Because I was I dick to Jerry Cotton, I shall post my own terrible terrible opinion. I have to phrase this carefully.

Back during the election, when the Billy Busch/Trump tape leaked, I was underwhelmed. Of course it is terrible and unacceptable, but when I was a teenager my friends and I used to say stuff way more awful than that, just to be as transgressive and offensive as possible. It's seems kind of like code-switching to me. There was a lot of "locker room talk" like that when I was in the army.

This feels pretty indefensible though, and I don't talk like that now, so I'm completely wishy-washy.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Uh, the difference is, did you actually do that poo poo? Because Trump did it, as was confirmed by several women after the tape came out. He also wasn't a teenager, but rather a very rich man who ran beauty pageants specifically so he could harass the women participating...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The short story There Will Come Soft Rains isn't half as good as the poem There Will Come Soft Rains

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone that supports Trump or Republicans at this time ia a bad person.

And yes they should be executed.

Also Fox News is basically what every dystopian author from the 1800+ was afraid of.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

doverhog posted:

Uh, the difference is, did you actually do that poo poo? Because Trump did it, as was confirmed by several women after the tape came out. He also wasn't a teenager, but rather a very rich man who ran beauty pageants specifically so he could harass the women participating...

I'm kinda lovely, I hadn't been following the election super closely because it was bumming me out, and I didn't connect those things. :smith:

To be clear Trump is terrible, and I wish him ruin.

Slowpoke Rodriguez has a new favorite as of 06:09 on May 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

The short story There Will Come Soft Rains isn't half as good as the poem There Will Come Soft Rains

And the cartoon is better than either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNHYz89sNc

I like the poem most too