Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/nsno_83/status/865312017044918275

on the 18th May 1803 Britain once again declares war on France, kicking off the War Of The Third Coalition

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/865330003210317825

It's madness. I do not understand it at all.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Old people should be euthanized humanely at a hospital so we don't have to pay for care for them imo

I agree up until the day I am 60.

I've hosed up most of my time on this lovely planet so I don't need it cutting short thank you. I want to stay on this misery-train to the bitter end.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's terrible but I don't think it'll be nearly enough. Just an excuse for hope, and you know what the Decepticons say about that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
My legs are slowly turning into jelly from walking up all these loving hills but down here things are looking really close. Would be nice to be a success story.

I am slowly losing faith with the electorate, though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

It's terrible but I don't think it'll be nearly enough. Just an excuse for hope, and you know what the Decepticons say about that.

They say hope is a lie and then the goodies win in the end.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

https://twitter.com/nsno_83/status/865312017044918275

on the 18th May 1803 Britain once again declares war on France, kicking off the War Of The Third Coalition

Reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkg7NtTXDnk

This is a scene from one of the best argentinian movies ever made, called Nine Queens, the dialogue is such:
"Crunchy... made in Greece. Heh. This country is going to poo poo."

This movie was made in 2000, and as you well know, the country did go to poo poo, really badly, in 2001.

I don't know why, but it seems appropiate to share this with the thread. I fear some sort of convergence is coming between my past and my future.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have Crunchies in Argentina?

E: And they're made in Greece?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Looke posted:

wouldn't it be cheaper to pump the money into the current infrastructure, rather than having to buy out/build new buildings, facilities, staff etc?

as with most things brought into public ownership, won't we eventually see centralisation of resources, and nursing homes turned into little more than large end of life farms?

I'm a cldn with an interest in dementia, you think nursing homes aren't already like that?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Evil food scientists were making the Crunchie ever smaller until one day they went too far and the readings flipped. Now crunchy is everywhere, in all space and all time but unable to interact with matter. Another capitalist success.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
someone please find the nearest Crunchie and tell us what country it was made in, the future of our economy may depend on it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I literally just ate one let me look.

E: It doesn't say because it was in a multipack.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Old people should be euthanized humanely at a hospital so we don't have to pay for care for them imo

I have issues with this statement

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've scoured the Tory manifesto and can't find any mention of crunchies. Lots of things about loving over the paups, but no crunchies.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I literally just ate one let me look.

E: It doesn't say because it was in a multipack.

Did you enjoy it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It was nice but they always make me hungry for proper cinder toffee and chocolate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crunchies are just the worst. Farage probably likes Crunchies.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A Crunchie is never anybody's first choice of chocolate bar, surely.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

It was nice but they always make me hungry for proper cinder toffee and chocolate.

Next time you're in Whitby try the Beacon Farm cinder toffee ice cream.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

You have Crunchies in Argentina?

E: And they're made in Greece?

Probably just some random knockoff candy bar called "crunchy", or the director just made that up because it sounded right.

The point is that at the time, the savage dismantling of the national industry (replaced by cheap imports) was reaching a critical point, hence the punchline.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I had a fake bounty today

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/865320130460479490
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/865318763184435204
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/865317476636266496

It's both hilarious and disgusting how transparently tribal our press is. Bold Theresa May tells it like it is and advocates Miliband-esque policies that we told you would ruin the country two years ago!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Jesus loving christ.

Steve2911 posted:

Crunchies are just the worst. Farage probably likes Crunchies.

No, Farage only likes white chocolate.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm the oap crying on news night next year "I didn't think they meant me :qq:"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Healthy Gut Diet by Dr. Oswald Mosley, 14:88 diet creator.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

I'm a cldn with an interest in dementia, you think nursing homes aren't already like that?

I just believe we need more homes than we have and I don't think that making nursing homes public will help with that.

I was a RN, so the side I saw was mostly waiting for people to either find a home or to be accepted into one.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hmmmm, telling it like it is, eh? Where did I hear this before?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Namtab posted:

I had a fake bounty today

Duplicity on the Bounty?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Next time you're in Whitby try the Beacon Farm cinder toffee ice cream.

I have had it and it is delicious, also from Whitby, Justin's chocolatiers do an incredibly rich cinder toffee chocolate that makes crunchies depressing in comparison.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Angepain posted:

someone please find the nearest Crunchie and tell us what country it was made in, the future of our economy may depend on it
Actually, there was an interesting piece in the LRB about this the other day! They used to be made right here in Brizzle but now they're made in Poland: https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n08/james-meek/somerdale-to-skarbimierz

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All nice things come from Poland it seems, such as potato, szprots, and malina syrup.

Actually UKMT might know this, where can I get Halva from in the UK? I've wanted to try it as it sounds nice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

All nice things come from Poland it seems, such as potato, szprots, and malina syrup.
Also the closest European equivalent to Everclear.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

OwlFancier posted:

Actually UKMT might know this, where can I get Halva from in the UK? I've wanted to try it as it sounds nice.

Lidl have it in sometimes but I have no idea how authentic it is.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Try a Turkish shop if you have one somewhere nearby, I could only give you a place in Oxford but I seem to remember you're one of the people from Bristol? Not sure about there. Have a look online maybe, there could be a shop in stokes croft or somewhere.

Oh wait are you the guy who lives in Middlesbrough near Flaps. Dunno where to get it there.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

I'd go by NHS guidelines and say ideally within the first 24 weeks after conception. That way they're spared the ignominy of old age, middle age, working age, school, childhood, infancy, etc. etc.

Why should feckless fetuses who've never worked a day in their life get an easy ride? The electorate got us into this mess, and thanks to the secret ballot we can't tell who specifically to blame. I'd suggest just euthanasing everyone on the electoral register. Leave the country to those too apathetic or too foreign to have voted Tory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Try a Turkish shop if you have one somewhere nearby, I could only give you a place in Oxford but I seem to remember you're one of the people from Bristol? Not sure about there. Have a look online maybe, there could be a shop in stokes croft or somewhere.

Oh wait are you the guy who lives in Middlesbrough near Flaps. Dunno where to get it there.

We... might have a Turkish shop somewhere in boro but I don't know the center super well, don't go there for anything except to get the bus.

Uuuuuurgh seriously how can the entire loving planet except the bit west of Germany eat this stuff and it not be available it sounds amazing.

quote:

One variation from the Caspian region of Gilan is called asali halva (honey halva) and Mazandaran is called Khoshk halva. It is different from other types of halva prepared in Iran since it is based on rice flour rather than semolina, and is sweetened with honey instead of sugar. In Iran, halva is also eaten with lavash at breakfast. Iranian urbanites, especially in Tehran and Karaj, use melted chocolate and coffee to flavor the halva, which are black or dark brown in color, respectively. Confectionaries sell two-layered halva cut into diamond shapes and garnished with almond and pistachio slivers.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 19, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've scoured the Tory manifesto and can't find any mention of crunchies. Lots of things about loving over the paups, but no crunchies.

Do they say what a Freddo will cost with May's Team and how much more it would be under Crazy Comrade Corbyn's Premiership?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

Do they say what a Freddo will cost with May's Team and how much more it would be under Crazy Comrade Corbyn's Premiership?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

all hail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I don't see how May can realistically come back from this.

• Locked thread