Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

handed in notice at old job about 4 weeks after i got promoted to senior dev and given a whole 6% pay rise for it

boss offered me a 40% increase to stay lmao

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

St Evan Echoes posted:

handed in notice at old job about 4 weeks after i got promoted to senior dev and given a whole 6% pay rise for it

boss offered me a 40% increase to stay lmao

Lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's amazing how fast money can appear in a budget that you were previously told was tapped out

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

it's amazing how fast money can appear in a budget that you were previously told was tapped out

all I got was "oh you are leaving? we were going to give you a significant comp bump..."

suck my dick motherfuckers! you shouldn't have hired so many retards or I wouldn't have had to quit to keep myself from going insane

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
when a dude said, with all seriousness, a computer can only perform one I/O action at a time i knew it was time

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Sweeper posted:

when a dude said, with all seriousness, a computer can only perform one I/O action at a time i knew it was time

...how does a person become a computer toucher and just not know what threads are?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

maybe i just get off on being withholding, but ime the best part is saying "oh no, nothing you could have done differently, just a great opportunity i couldn't pass up!" with a smug grin
any time ive dropped notice, there was literally nothing they could have done anyways so yours is usually the correct reply. i made the decision to go because current work:figgies balance was out of whack, countering just prolongs my pain.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ThePeavstenator posted:

...how does a person become a computer toucher and just not know what threads are?

i dont know if it is that bad, i believe he thought that if you were writing to the network you couldn't also write to the disk because like, idk the bus was overwhelmed? who the gently caress knows, he was trying to argue that we were writing to disk so much that we couldn't push bytes out the nic.... not because the threads were busy writing to disk, but because the computer just couldn't do it

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sweeper posted:

i dont know if it is that bad, i believe he thought that if you were writing to the network you couldn't also write to the disk because like, idk the bus was overwhelmed? who the gently caress knows, he was trying to argue that we were writing to disk so much that we couldn't push bytes out the nic.... not because the threads were busy writing to disk, but because the computer just couldn't do it

how old was he? ask him if he remembers winmodems

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how old was he? ask him if he remembers winmodems

i quit the job a few months ago and it is my hope i never speak to him again

A_Literate_Negress
May 17, 2017

by zen death robot
My new job pays $8.30 / hr + tips

I am 32 yrs old

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
sorry i believe you've misposted, this is the computer janitors forum, the only tipchat we like here is complaining about paying them

however i am 31 so i appreciate the ego boost

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
After august when I release our new product I am going to be handing in my notice and it's foing to feel so so soooooooo good.

The sheer amount of incompetence leading me to working 60+ hours a week for weeks on end is straight up too much.

Today my boss told me that I should take a few hours off because I am already over 50 hours this week.

He was the one who made my vacation at the end of the month contingent on the end of May deadline. gently caress him.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 19, 2017

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i'm 24 :smug:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
jfc after 6 weeks of conversations and interviews and bullshit they loving lowball me. argh, so mad. I told the recruiter that she's not even close.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i think the apple interview went ok but now i am eating at a slightly ghetto buffalo wild wings because i am a most midwesterner in the bay

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

i think the apple interview went ok but now i am eating at a slightly ghetto buffalo wild wings because i am a most midwesterner in the bay

what did you get

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

power botton posted:

what did you get

boneless medium. it's boneless Thursday b*tch

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

somewhere within 2 blocks of you is some greasy-looking strip mall asian place that would have either made you sick or been your meal of the year but now you'll never know

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

there's good Asian food in the Midwest like that

what there isn't in the Midwest is tacos worth a drat

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

heard back that I failed my technical phone screen at google. I thought I did okay, but apparently not. I did study DSA but since most of the stuff is things I have never used in my day job I just don't have that natural practice, I should have done more practice questions

on the other hand another company is flying me out, because the guy doing the phone screen asked questions an embedded software person would be expected to know and I aced that poo poo

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

hobbesmaster posted:

there's good Asian food in the Midwest like that

what there isn't in the Midwest is tacos worth a drat

depends on where you are, southeast Wisconsin and Chicago have a decently large hispanic minority population

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i like the pepper jack steak wrap at buffalo wild wings

well, bye

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

depends on where you are, southeast Wisconsin and Chicago have a decently large hispanic minority population

truth

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

get cioppino before you leave

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

qirex posted:

somewhere within 2 blocks of you is some greasy-looking strip mall asian place that would have either made you sick or been your meal of the year but now you'll never know

Take advantage of the 100 poke bars that have popped up.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

The Management posted:

jfc after 6 weeks of conversations and interviews and bullshit they loving lowball me. argh, so mad. I told the recruiter that she's not even close.

i just had a recruiter try to come back and reduce the offer that they themselves made. how do you not clear this poo poo prior to starting negotiations :commissar:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

DuckConference posted:

heard back that I failed my technical phone screen at google. I thought I did okay, but apparently not. I did study DSA but since most of the stuff is things I have never used in my day job I just don't have that natural practice, I should have done more practice questions
yeah, I'm struggling with this now. not only is my day job not interview question style coding, but it's often not coding at all, so most practice is after hours. hopefully i can get some of the greatest hits of algorithms embedded in my brain before the next interview.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Milwaukee has p good Mexican but Madison has Jack poo poo.

There is a guy in only boxer shorts selling bootleg Chris Brown t shirts outside my hotel. That and the palm trees are just hella weird for me. Deciduous for life fool.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

cis autodrag posted:

haha no poo poo. asian zing from east towne mall over here.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

havent heard a peep posted:

haha no poo poo. asian zing from east towne mall over here.

im proud you went to bww instead if trying to convince yourself that hooters has good wings, honest.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if you have midwestern taste buds those dippy rear end california burritos with french fries in them are probably great too

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hifi posted:

if you have midwestern taste buds those dippy rear end california burritos with french fries in them are probably great too

that sounds stupid as gently caress. i like foods with meat and an excessive amount of chilies or other hot spices. not some british rear end chip butty burrito bullshit.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I got a "midwestern tastes" friend to try the Japanese place I wanted to go to by explaining that tonkatsu is just like shnitzel.

I wasn't wrong.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

that sounds stupid as gently caress. i like foods with meat and an excessive amount of chilies or other hot spices. not some british rear end chip butty burrito bullshit.

cis autodrag posted:

lmao

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

im also not stupid and im not going to blow out my colon with potentially extreme spices in an unfamiliar place before 10 hours of flights and airports. i have never poo poo on a plane and i don't intend to start now.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

DuckConference posted:

on the other hand another company is flying me out, because the guy doing the phone screen asked questions an embedded software person would be expected to know and I aced that poo poo

Nothing I've heard about working at Google sounds appealing; it sounds like most teams work on boring corporate bullshit except instead of doing it with relatively normal people, you do it with the sort of people that can pass those interviews (dorks)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

goondolences

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ADINSX posted:

Nothing I've heard about working at Google sounds appealing; it sounds like most teams work on boring corporate bullshit except instead of doing it with relatively normal people, you do it with the sort of people that can pass those interviews (dorks)

a lot of people say good things about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ADINSX posted:

I'll take dorks over startup brogrammers any day.

• Locked thread