Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Night Danger Moose posted:

They said the $80 charge from address change was split over 3 months of billing, then an increase in my 6 month fee due to being in Bmore instead of Naptown. Either way, not even attempting to inform me that hey, your next bill is gonna be like 50% more than you're used to seeing, is hella bad business and I'm going elsewhere. Probably either Progressive or Allstate.

When I last looked, Geico was coming out almost half the price of State Farm for me. My problem is, when I change, I also have to change my homeowners too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know whats up with GEICO, but they're untouchable where I live unless you have access to USAA. I get re-quoted every 6 months just for the hell of it, and no one comes close to their rates.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

I don't know whats up with GEICO, but they're untouchable where I live unless you have access to USAA. I get re-quoted every 6 months just for the hell of it, and no one comes close to their rates.

Ditto for me. I have no idea why, but Geico is a fraction of the cost of almost every other company I've tried to get quotes from.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
GEICO has always been cheapest for me, especially since I'm a government employee. I ended up with AAA because they were somewhere around $100/month cheaper on my house insurance than the next closest provider. I'll probably end up with GEICO again after I sell the house.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
What's the general consensus on Sport Edition rims? I really like the look of their a15s but I also don't want to be putting garbage on my new GTI. Thoughts?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've had them for snow tires on two cars and have no complaints. I like the way my most recent set looks on the FiST a lot more than the stock wheels too.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I had some for snow tires too, no issues at all.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I literally saved $600 switching to geico because of the conversation here. Thanks for reminding me to check all!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I got my geico quote last night, I'm switching tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
DItto on Geico being by far the best rates for insurance, I switched from State Farm and cut my monthly premiums by more than 50%. Later I added Homeowners and while their rates are comparable, the multi-line discount was negligible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Keep in mind that they only reimburse up to $50 of a tow unless you call their claims line to initiate the tow. Cockwaffles.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Progressive always ends up cheaper for me every time I check it. I've also been with them for over 10 years now which counts for something I guess.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

Progressive always ends up cheaper for me every time I check it. I've also been with them for over 10 years now which counts for something I guess.

Same, depends on the market. For towing, drop that and rental and get AAA.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I was with geico for years, switched to travelers (via a broker), now I'm on state farm.

Frankly I'm surprised that some of you are able to stay so long at one insurer without them jacking your rates for no reason. So far state farm hasn't, but I've accepted as fact that every few years I'll check around and switch everything over.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

I was with geico for years, switched to travelers (via a broker), now I'm on state farm.

Frankly I'm surprised that some of you are able to stay so long at one insurer without them jacking your rates for no reason. So far state farm hasn't, but I've accepted as fact that every few years I'll check around and switch everything over.

I just have no idea how much I'm paying for insurance :v:

Dropping my TDI after it was bought back cut almost 50% off my rate a month. I had no clue how high it had gotten with 3 cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna runt he numbers on Geico. SF dropped my multi car discount with no reason given and my renters insurance is no longer a free bonus.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

angryrobots posted:

I was on State Farm for years, bought a brand new car and they wanted to jack my rates up 50 bucks a month. Switched to Travelers which were great (as much as an insurance company can be great when you don't get into an accident) but then switched to Progressive because Traveler's couldn't handle my Acty being on the policy, not because they wouldn't but because their software couldn't handle it. Progressive just added zeros to the end, put it in the system, then took those zeros off once it was in. Too complicated for other insurers I guess?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
USAA jacked my rates up so high I had to switch, now with amica.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
On a completely different subject, I put the tires that came with the car back on last Friday which means that this week it got cold as hell again. It's 35ish here so I figured I'd do what every dumbass does, and see if I can get the tires to break loose. Surprisingly they were perfectly serviceable in the cold. Still wouldn't trust them below freezing in snow, but they seem to work fine in the cold. Continental 5p UHP summers.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Continental Extremecontact DWs are doing pretty well at 40 F here- they'll spin in first but that's it

Don't know how cold it has to get before summer tires are in danger of cracking but I kinda wince when it starts randomly getting into the mid 30s

Guy before me was obviously driving around all loving winter on the original summer tires as they were cracked to poo poo right into the contact patch in a few places and were noisy as hell

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Monkey Fracas posted:

Continental Extremecontact DWs are doing pretty well at 40 F here- they'll spin in first but that's it

Don't know how cold it has to get before summer tires are in danger of cracking but I kinda wince when it starts randomly getting into the mid 30s

Guy before me was obviously driving around all loving winter on the original summer tires as they were cracked to poo poo right into the contact patch in a few places and were noisy as hell

The Contisport Contact 5P that came on my R turned into hockey pucks once it got below 5c. Had a fun accidental drift through an intersection I went through a bit too fast to beat the light.

Funny enough I was on my way to get my winters when it happened.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ya, I just took my winters off last Friday. Had to leave the house to meet my recruiter today. The tires have just over 100 miles on them at this point.

I barely got 20k out of my DWS, hopefully these 5P will last a bit longer.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Might get my car back tomorrow! Another 3 weeks in the shop down. And my insurance company is apparently loving with the body shop because they didn't take pictures or some poo poo even though THREE different adjusters and one of their managers have looked over the loving car. All while I'm still paying out of pocket(should get reimbursed, but still) for my rentals. Such a loving hassle.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
This is a shot in the dark, but anyone know any good collision repair shops in the West Seattle/Seattle Area? The Service King nearest to me can't get me in for nearly a month and won't accept it if it needs to be towed in. The other parties insurance accepted liability which is nice, but now it seems like it's going to take a month+ just to get my car on the road.

Alternatively should I just have it sent to the dealership, or so they usually not deal with collision poo poo?

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quite A Tool posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but anyone know any good collision repair shops in the West Seattle/Seattle Area? The Service King nearest to me can't get me in for nearly a month and won't accept it if it needs to be towed in. The other parties insurance accepted liability which is nice, but now it seems like it's going to take a month+ just to get my car on the road.

Sounds about right. it took 29 days to get my MS6 back after it was vandalized.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Quite A Tool posted:

Alternatively should I just have it sent to the dealership, or so they usually not deal with collision poo poo?

Dealerships usually don't do collision. If it's part of a large dealership network, they may have a dedicated collision shop. If nothing else, they may be able to recommend a place to take your car.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Ugh garbage whiteline caster bushings. One side was bulging and in odd but the other side is completely torn. I've only had them in 6 months. Ordered some oem with lca with bushings for $100 to swap since I'm moving but may try to contact whiteline. That is depressingly bad longevity.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quite A Tool posted:

won't accept it if it needs to be towed in.

What the gently caress kind of body shop won't accept a vehicle that has to be towed in? The long time to get the car in isn't at all uncommon in what experience I have at this point. Took three weeks to get mine into the shop it's currently in and I'm over three weeks with it there now :argh: . I'm just glad I can afford to swing a rental out of pocket while I wait to eventually get reimbursed. I know that's not doable for a whole lot of people.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Quite A Tool posted:

Service King blows, do not take your car there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My Ford dealer is large enough to have it's own body shop/collision center. While I like the dealer, the collision operation was a complete shitshow and clusterfuck. I wanted them to have the business though. I learned from that mistake.

Last time I needed repair, I let my insurance handle it. We had Progressive at the time, I dropped the car off at one of their service centers, picked up my rental and went on my way. Car came back perfect and things were easy to deal with.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My Ford dealer has a collision shop that's actually the local State Farm inspection location. That'll hopefully be nice if I ever need to use my insurance on this car.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

skipdogg posted:

the collision operation was a complete shitshow and clusterfuck

There are very few exceptions to this rule, anywhere. I found *one* good body shop in this area, and they are at least a month+ out.

Protip: Glass installers have some of the best insight into body shops that you can find. My friend is a glass guy and is the reason I know about the good body shop - and has plenty of sketchy stories about the rest of them.

Online reviews are the *worst* way to judge a body shop, since most people are non-picky couldn't-give-a-drat types and/or don't know how to critically look at body and paint work.

edit:// Hot Hatch Discussion: Collision Chat ITT

edit2, an on-topic comment:// I found this back in April, here are details on the 2018 Fiesta (including ST). http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2018/2018_Fiesta.pdf. Shock of shocks, we aren't getting the updated model here in the US. My guess is we'll get skipped entirely, like the Mk2 Focus.

I haven't read the Focus doc, but here it is if you care: http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2018/2018_Focus.pdf

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 24, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I got really lucky finding a good body shop on the first try. Since I've had to go back 3 more times.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Last time I was in an accident, I just took my car to the absolute best body shop in my area. Lamborghinis, Porsche, Rolls Royce etc in the parking lot and my dinky little G35. Insurance said I get to choose wherever I wanted to take it and that seemed to be the best idea to me. The insurance of the person who hit me ended up paying about ~$6500 vs the $1900 that GEICO estimated at their own shop.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

100% Dundee posted:

Last time I was in an accident, I just took my car to the absolute best body shop in my area. Lamborghinis, Porsche, Rolls Royce etc in the parking lot and my dinky little G35. Insurance said I get to choose wherever I wanted to take it and that seemed to be the best idea to me. The insurance of the person who hit me ended up paying about ~$6500 vs the $1900 that GEICO estimated at their own shop.

This is exactly the reason you never let the at fault company dictate how your car gets fixed. Drop car off, pay deductible, get car back, wait for insurance to sue for deductible.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

100% Dundee posted:

This is why my car is where it's at now. They do a ton of stuff for the higher end brands and is where it would have gone had my wreck been here at home. I now know to worry less about how to get home the next day and more about which shop it goes to when your poo poo gets wrecked out of state.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Fiesta ST owners (or any of the cross compatible vehicles): Recommendations for brakes? Or ones I should avoid? Wifes car needs new pads and I keep jumping back and forth between OE style replacements and Hawks...

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
So I hit a deer with my GTI. I have full coverage, but my insurance company appraised it using the prices for aftermarket poo poo parts and my body guy told me to call the insurance company and bitch...Do I have a chance at getting them to fork over more money for OEM parts?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

veedubfreak posted:

I barely got 20k out of my DWS, hopefully these 5P will last a bit longer.

Welp, just popped a 5P on a pothole, blew out the sidewall.

Probably going to get 4 new tires instead of replacing the one, low mileage but I dont want to just replace one, would be 2 new contis but they are too expensive locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

the spyder posted:

Fiesta ST owners (or any of the cross compatible vehicles): Recommendations for brakes? Or ones I should avoid? Wifes car needs new pads and I keep jumping back and forth between OE style replacements and Hawks...
I am also interested in this. I need to get new tires soon and my pads are low enough that I may as well do them at the same time.

I'm looking for something more aggressive than stock but still reasonably quiet and usable when cold.