Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Spicy vegetarian miso ramen with 6 minute egg and crispy roasted shiitakes

I even busted out the real camera for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

emotive posted:

Spicy vegetarian miso ramen with 6 minute egg and crispy roasted shiitakes

I even busted out the real camera for this one.

That looks amazing, I'm jelly.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Had some pork shoulder ragu in the oven for about 4 hours now - starting to look right!

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Food/energy question

I take late evening courses once a week. These are a two hour drive away from home and end at 9:30 in the evening. After a work day too.

So I stop at a gas station because I am exhausted and afraid to fall asleep at the wheel.

What do I eat to last two hours?

Most energy drinks are no good because they don't kick in fast enough. And when I get home I go straight to bed and want to be able to fall asleep.

A friend advised some orange juice and a bar of chocolate.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 6, 2017

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
If you are getting so tired that you're pulling over, I would advise against things that are sugary or really heavy. The sugar will perk you up for a little bit, but then you'll crash hard and start nodding. Heavy greasy things like gas station hot dogs will give you Thanksgiving bloat.
If at all possible, I would shift your lunchtime later in the day so that you're not starving by the time class is out. I'd try to make an effort to bring snacky vegetables and nuts, and only enough so that you feel "not hungry" rather than "full", and eat them as soon as you get out of class. I'd stick to water to drink, with maybe something caffeinated around 4 so that when you get home you can go right to bed.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I do long drives for work often. Last year I was driving to and from Missouri every two weeks for three months, eight hours each way (thank god that's over.) The way to do it is snacking during the drive, not eating something at the beginning. It helps keep you awake much better, if you get creative can be reasonably healthy for you (especially if you're making your own food), and over two hours you can eat enough to last you to breakfast. I usually bring nuts, an apple, maybe one of those yogurt-based breakfast smoothies, and a full waterbottle (hydration is very important to not be miserable, especially since nuts are salted and dehydrate you.) But really, anything you like enough to snack on continuously for two hours works.

The other thing is to stay as active as possible. I did loud music for a while, and that really didn't help much, you still get to a point where it doesn't matter and you just fall asleep. Singing along really helps, or find an audio book that you're really interested in, or if there's somebody in a different time zone you can do a phone call with for a while. Anything to stay alert and engaged. Once you're in the stage where you have to fight to stay awake you're done, the goal is to stay out of that zone.

If you do all that and are still nodding off, pull over and take a nap. Better to get home late than crash.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I drive a lot for work and agree with everything above.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
This is all good advice. I'll give a stack of bananas a try for the whole drive. As something to snack on.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Bananas are actually not the best fruit to snack on to stay awake, they can increase your levels of tryptophan, making you drowsy. Berries, nuts or seeds, maybe a little beef jerky would be better.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I'm on a diet and a single peanut has enough calories to feed a whole African family for a day :negative:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Dieting doesn't work, eat a god drat nut you racist.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 7, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fenris13 posted:

Bananas are actually not the best fruit to snack on to stay awake, they can increase your levels of tryptophan, making you drowsy. Berries, nuts or seeds, maybe a little beef jerky would be better.

Does the science check out for this?

livestrong.com posted:

Bananas contain high amounts of a number of important nutrients. One medium banana contains 105 calories, 0.39 grams of fat and 0.011 gram of tryptophan, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference.

The authors found that tryptophan was beneficial for people with situational insomnia, meaning that falling asleep is difficult, by reducing the time it takes to fall asleep in doses ranging from 1 gram to 15 grams.

OK, so 10 bananas...

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/the-truth-about-tryptophan posted:

Somer says that proteins like turkey, chicken, and fish, which are high in tryptophan, require assistance from foods high in carbohydrates to affect serotonin levels.

"Tryptophan is quite high in milk and turkey, but that's not the food that will give you the serotonin boost," she says. It's a small, all-carbohydrate snack -- no more than 30 grams of carbohydrates -- in combination with the tryptophan stored in your body from food you've already eaten that will give you the biggest boost of serotonin, Somer says.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/turkey.asp posted:

The amount of tryptophan in a single 4-ounce serving of turkey (350 milligrams) is also lower than the amount typically used to induce sleep. The recommendations for tryptophan supplements to help you sleep are 500 to 1,000 milligrams.

So bananas have 1/30 the tryptophan as turkey and turkey as sleep aid has generally been debunked. Still, turkey's other protein might be why it doesn't make you sleepy, so perhaps bananas with a lower dose but with carbs instead of protein might actually make you sleepy.

Not a lot of hard evidence to avoid bananas, imo. Especially because your brain runs on blood sugar and bananas are a low glycemic snack, meaning you will get a nice steady flow of sugar and not a sugar high followed by a crash. If you're really worried about tryptophan, add some peanut butter so the proteins slow the tryptophan from entering the brain.

Are there nutritionists on SA? I'm just a curious dude googling stuff.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Baked watermelon poke bowl... baking it for 2 hours at 350* gives it a similar texture to raw tuna, surprisingly.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
My mind says gross but my eyes say hell yeah

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I had no idea that raw tuna was a desirable texture but that does look delicious.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 8, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Catberry posted:

I had no idea that raw tuna was a desirable texture

It is in a poke bowl!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I had my doubts but it was seriously good. You really couldn't even taste watermelon (i added a little rice vinegar and soy when i baked it)... I'll definitely be making it again.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Phil Moscowitz posted:

yeah same, but definitely curious!

can I get a recipe, please??

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

yeah same, but definitely curious!

can I get a recipe, please??

Rough, but about what I did:

1 lb. watermelon, rind removed and cut into ~1.5" thick slabs (eyeball it here, i can't remember how much mine weighed -- it was a 1/4 chunk)
1 tbsp rice vinegar (to cut the sweetness, mostly)
2 tsp soy sauce (to add some saltiness)
Oil to lightly coat

1/2 of a large vidalia onion, very thinly sliced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tsp sugar (more to taste but keep in mind watermelon has sweetness already)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
lime juice to taste (i used about 1/2 a lime)

Preheat oven to 350. Toss watermelon with vinegar and soy and bake for 2 hours. flipping halfway through until top starts to brown and it becomes tender. Let cool a bit, cut into chunks and mix with remaining ingredients... Let sit for a little while and throw on rice... topped mine with plenty of furikake and togarashi, which I think are very important here considering it gives it a bit of fishy flavor which it lacks without any... fish.

Here's how the watermelon looks right after baking:

I think avocado would be a great addition to this but I didn't have any at the time.

emotive fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 9, 2017

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Two way with a duck. Slow roast leg, pan roast breast, garden rhubarb sauce, black rice, beetroot and cress.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Just look at that duck glisten. Yummo.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Cavenagh posted:

Two way with a duck. Slow roast leg, pan roast breast, garden rhubarb sauce, black rice, beetroot and cress.

That skin. Shining, and glistening, and crispy... that's the good stuff.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Cross-posting from the Pizza making thread.

Incoming photo dump!

Butterflied a leg of lamb, filled with finely chopped lemon zest, rosemary, salt and pepper. Trussed it back up and popped it into the sous vide at 130 for a few hours.

Took it out, skewered it and seared it over the fire to get it browned.

Ended up with a super smokey hit, which was awesome. By itself one of the best things that I have ever made.

Chilled and then sliced thin.

Ended up on a pizza with : Havarti, green olives, frisee dressed with a lemon and cured egg yolk vinaigrette, and sliced parm. Was loving awesome. Smokey, herbacious, rich, bright from the lemon, salty from the olives, nutty from the parm. Highly recommend.

Just a standard but delicious pizza with Calabrese, tomato, dry mozz and fermented chili oil.

Experimental Bananas Foster pizza. Made the sauce by itself, let it cool, used it to sauce the pie, brushed on the bananas then into the oven. Was good, but too soupy. Will use less sauce next time, and instead of just melted ice cream, will make a thicker creme anglaise. Will also precook the bananas a little and then fire in a hotter oven. I cooked it at around 650 so the bananas could cook through, but by that time, the crust had gotten too chewy. It has promise, but needs work.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
felt like having some cheap roast beef tonight

roast boneless chuck shoulder with a mushroom/celery red wine/butter sauce and a baby spinach salad

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

And of course why cook roast beef last night if I can't have cold roast beef sandwiches on home-baked spent grain bread today:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Holy poo poo. How did you cook that beef?

E:NVM I see 'roast.' don't think I've ever seen such competently roasted beef.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Thanks dude!

Yeah, was a boneless chuck roast (also called a cross rib roast sometimes), about 2lbs.

Did it at 325*F in the oven (in an open cast-iron pot, preheated) until internal temp read at 115*F, then pulled, covered in tinfoil, and let rest and rise to 130*F (oven time was about 30 minutes I think, but rely on your thermometer, resting was about 15 minutes). Meat was first brushed with balsamic vinegar and then brushed with a paste made from salt, pepper corns, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary - ground and mixed with a couple tablespoons of olive oil.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Doom Rooster posted:

Cross-posting from the Pizza making thread.

Incoming photo dump!

Butterflied a leg of lamb, filled with finely chopped lemon zest, rosemary, salt and pepper. Trussed it back up and popped it into the sous vide at 130 for a few hours.

Took it out, skewered it and seared it over the fire to get it browned.

Ended up with a super smokey hit, which was awesome. By itself one of the best things that I have ever made.

Chilled and then sliced thin.

Ended up on a pizza with : Havarti, green olives, frisee dressed with a lemon and cured egg yolk vinaigrette, and sliced parm. Was loving awesome. Smokey, herbacious, rich, bright from the lemon, salty from the olives, nutty from the parm. Highly recommend.

Just a standard but delicious pizza with Calabrese, tomato, dry mozz and fermented chili oil.

Experimental Bananas Foster pizza. Made the sauce by itself, let it cool, used it to sauce the pie, brushed on the bananas then into the oven. Was good, but too soupy. Will use less sauce next time, and instead of just melted ice cream, will make a thicker creme anglaise. Will also precook the bananas a little and then fire in a hotter oven. I cooked it at around 650 so the bananas could cook through, but by that time, the crust had gotten too chewy. It has promise, but needs work.

The crumb on that crust has gotten pretty good huh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Made some whitebeans and rice in the new house kitchen.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post472327006

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Smoked duck breast, baby plum tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, scallions, beetroot, lambs lettuce and black sesame with a mandarin ginger dressing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Smoked duck breast, baby plum tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, scallions, beetroot, lambs lettuce and black sesame with a mandarin ginger dressing.

That looks real good.

Round 2 of today's cooking.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I need a brand new Malaysian wife

vesper
Jun 24, 2006

Ooooh, shiiiiiiny.

Theophany posted:

I need a brand new Malaysian wife

I need a doom rooster husband. Sous vide lamb on pizza... good grief. :3

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

pork loin, spiced with salt, pepper, and cayenne and roasted in a skillet

sauce was apple juice, brandy, butter, demarara, a single grannysmith apple roughly chopped, shredded ginger that had been infused with golden brown sugar (used the ginger previously to make a simple syrup for ginger beer), a cinnamon stick, freshly grated nutmeg, and allspice

beets tossed with olive oil and thyme, then baked until tender.

I'll probably toss the beets with some balsamic next time as I wanted them to be a little less plain.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I did pork loin this week too! Sous vide & sear, roasted sprouts, potato+parsnip mash, pan sauce. Sorry for the photo quality, girlfriend's phone.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Carbonara with shiitakes and a little bit of spinach... to make it healthy.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nur_Neerg posted:

I did pork loin this week too! Sous vide & sear, roasted sprouts, potato+parsnip mash, pan sauce. Sorry for the photo quality, girlfriend's phone.

This is my kinda dinner :getin:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
that looks great. I've got a big thing of sprouts to use but it's about 100 out and gently caress the cast iron/oven right now.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

emotive posted:

Carbonara with shiitakes and a little bit of spinach... to make it healthy.

Hey man, that could have been a bag full of fresh spinach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

My wife and I love to cook (not that we're any good at it) but we don't feel the need to share very often.

The lady of the house had the idea to "eat like a millionaire" so she came up with a cheese/meat/hors d'oeuvres plate thing.

photo host sites

Items on the plate that were bought from the grocery store:
  • Pancetta
  • Pastrami
  • Smoked sprats
  • smoked oysters
  • danish blue cheese
  • brie
  • pork liver pate
  • strawberries
  • dijon mustard
  • romaine lettuce (we ran out of room so it's off plate)

Things we made at home:
  • white wine jelly with lemon verbena
  • white wine jelly with sweet basil
  • red wine jelly with cinnamon and cloves
  • labneh with garlic and i forgot what else
  • whole wheat and oats quick bread
  • white bean hummus (cannelini I think)
  • onion jam with balsamic vinegar
  • brandy mustard
  • curry powder mustard

Any herbs on plate or in recipes were from our garden. Visible is rosemary and peppermint.

Accompanied with booze of choice.