Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HEY GAIL posted:

the 16th and 17th century spanish were very good at two things, which was infantry and galleys. you gotta figure out some way to combine them

Baby Kitchen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

You heard it hear first folks, women are in the same tier as hippogriphs.

In that the average goon is equally likely to feel the soft touch of either, yes.

pidan posted:

I want to read your story, write it quick

okay sure (this is also what I think of most genre fiction)

"Let's do this"
"Aye, onneleigh as' ret as ye erre."

Fizzlewort von Science Fiction Name looked over to his loyal companion, Thruddsworth. He had once been a simple haberdasher; short and stocky and rather ugly. Once Magic had entered into the World of Science Fiction Fantasy Name, he had changed. Rapidly. His beard grew. He started speaking in a thick Scottish accent. Gained an affinity for machines and a +1 on his Fortitude saves.

The ominous citadel doors in front of them were foreboding. And made of marble. Thruddsworth raised his right hand, covered in a steam-powered gauntlet that was also +2 against werewolves and possibly from the Old Races spoken of in Chapter 2, against the keypad of the door. He slowly depressed a button on his gauntlet, and his hand sprung into action of its own accord. Up. Down. Up and to the left. At once, cutting over again, immediately, to the right. The signum crucis. An ancient symbol, its meaning unknown.

The doors groaned open. The inside was filled with strange new things; icons, crucifixes, funny hats. Wondrous treasures from the Old Races. They couldn't believe their luck. But lo, who draws near but a bearded man in a polo shirt and khakis.

"Who goes there?" said Fizzlewort.

The bearded man looked at them in contempt and said "actually, slavery was a fair institution and the Holocaust wasn't real."

"Erin go braugh we'd meddled inte some Orthodox Facebook group, e're man fer he's self!"

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

big babby
manchild
emotional maturity and range of an underage brick.

You realise he's a teenager, right?

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

The Phlegmatist posted:

"Let's do this"

Fizzlewort von Science Fiction Name looked over to his loyal companion, Thruddsworth. He had once been a simple haberdasher; short and stocky and rather ugly. Once Magic had entered into the World of Science Fiction Fantasy Name, he had changed. Rapidly. His beard grew. He started speaking in a thick Scottish accent. Gained an affinity for machines and a +1 on his Fortitude saves.

The ominous citadel doors in front of them were foreboding. And made of marble. Thruddsworth raised his right hand, covered in a steam-powered gauntlet that was also +2 against werewolves and possibly from the Old Races spoken of in Chapter 2, against the keypad of the door. He slowly depressed a button on his gauntlet, and his hand sprung into action of its own accord. Up. Down. Up and to the left. At once, cutting over again, immediately, to the right. The signum crucis. An ancient symbol, its meaning unknown.

The doors groaned open. The inside was filled with strange new things; icons, crucifixes, funny hats. Wondrous treasures from the Old Races. They couldn't believe their luck. But lo, who draws near but a bearded man in a polo shirt and khakis.

The bearded man looked at them in contempt and said "actually, slavery was a fair institution and the Holocaust wasn't real."

"Erin go braugh we'd meddled inte some Orthodox Facebook group, e're man fer he's self!"

:golfclap:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
a big babby manchild with the consistent emotional maturity and range of an underage brick is the reason why I dropped Wheel of Time. Every non-female chapter in the book was so hard to read through.

Geralt of Rivia and extradimensional unicorns 4 lyfe.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There's going to be a Witcher series, you know. I wrote them with a plea to cast Vladimir Kulich for the main role, but casting directors are famously resistant to good ideas, so it probably won't happen.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

There's going to be a Witcher series, you know. I wrote them with a plea to cast Vladimir Kulich for the main role, but casting directors are famously resistant to good ideas, so it probably won't happen.

Mads Mikkelsen should play Geralt imo

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
The Witcher books are probably the best fantasy/sci-fi I've read in years if not in a decade. Especially the first books that are world-building novels instead of an epic. I'm so glad the games continued the story in the same spirit. At least 2 and 3 did it drat well. 1 is acceptable as long as you look somewhere outside your screen when the people are talking to each other because the lack of animation is horrible.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Mads Mikkelsen should play Geralt imo

May I present you with this trophy to commemorate the dumbest opinion ever uttered on actors:

Seriously, Mads Mikkelsen does decent with Danish humor bits, but he is lovely at everything else :(

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Jamie from GoT should play Gerald because he looks good in a blond wig.

Thanks for the story :3:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

May I present you with this trophy to commemorate the dumbest opinion ever uttered on actors:

Seriously, Mads Mikkelsen does decent with Danish humor bits, but he is lovely at everything else :(

I dunno, Mikkelsen did a stellar job as Hannibal in the eponymous TV series and is professionally trained in ballet and dance so I think he'd nail the physical aspects of the role.

This is getting pretty outside the scope of Christianity chat, SOMEBODY crossed streams with fantasy nerdery :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I'm going to roleplay in the 1920s as a Scots chaplain back from the great war. Thing is, GM says he needs motivation to leave his parish and go to this haunted island - so I'm thinking, what if he's from a minority sect?

I'm operating on the premise that since a lot of people died in the war, parishes are going to the presbyterian CoS priests and if you're something less popular you get the boot. What would he be, though? I'm thinking methodist.

Pellisworth posted:

I dunno, Mikkelsen did a stellar job as Hannibal in the eponymous TV series and is professionally trained in ballet and dance so I think he'd nail the physical aspects of the role.

This is getting pretty outside the scope of Christianity chat, SOMEBODY crossed streams with fantasy nerdery :v:

Dang, I guess I'll have to check it out - but there are SO many series to check out and so little time :o

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Christianity Thread II: Discussing the Witcher

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i never interacted with any of the witcher games someone relate it to german theology so i can understand it

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

The Phlegmatist posted:

In that the average goon is equally likely to feel the soft touch of either, yes.

"Let's do this"

lol

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Senju Kannon posted:

i never interacted with any of the witcher games someone relate it to german theology so i can understand it
All I know is it's built on Polish history, folklore, and culture. That's like right next to Germany, isn't it?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's like saying korea is right next to china! i think maybe i don't even know anymore

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Tias posted:

I thought he was pretty good in Flame and Citron.

Tias
May 25, 2008

:catstare:

quote:

Flame and Citron.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Senju Kannon posted:

i never interacted with any of the witcher games someone relate it to german theologymedieval Germany so i can understand it

All of the peasant superstitions, theological nuances of them and the scientifical explanations for them are simultaneously true, as are the plague, inquisition, 30-years-war and other fun pastimes. You can also kill/have sex with most of the items on the previous list and if anything good comes out of that, you likely just got lucky.

Plus 1st Corinthians 13

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I know everyone does Corinthians 13 for weddings but I always associate it with Rodrigo's conversion in The Mission

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Valiantman posted:

All of the peasant superstitions, theological nuances of them and the scientifical explanations for them are simultaneously true, as are the plague, inquisition, 30-years-war and other fun pastimes. You can also kill/have sex with most of the items on the previous list and if anything good comes out of that, you likely just got lucky.

Plus 1st Corinthians 13

i know nothing of europe between the fall of rome and colonialism and i resent the implication that i would

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Valiantman posted:

Plus 1st Corinthians 13

Dare I ask what comes of having sex with the Thirty Years War? Is that where baby Hegels come from?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Senju Kannon posted:

i know nothing of europe between the fall of rome and colonialism and i resent the implication that i would

colonialism started some time before ataturk tho?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

colonialism started some time before ataturk tho?

i don't know what that is and i won't respond to it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

i don't know what that is and i won't respond to it

The joke is that the Ottoman empire claimed to be the legitimate extension of Byzantium and the Roman empire. So Rome fell in 1920.

e: the history threads luv 2 laff at this sort of thing :-)

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 19, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was gonna say western empire but i figured as an ex catholic i should treat byzantine as an aberration and not the true roman empire

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So, ugh, clear this up for me: how did the Byzantine/Eastern Roman empire refereed to itself? Both when there were two Roman empires and afterwards.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

JcDent posted:

So, ugh, clear this up for me: how did the Byzantine/Eastern Roman empire refereed to itself? Both when there were two Roman empires and afterwards.

They called themselves the Roman Empire, and the people were Romans - largely because Hellenes had become a synonym for pagan, and no one wanted to be that. The Western Roman Empire was also the Roman Empire, while it was around, same political unit with administrative distinctions. The Holy Roman Emperors were somewhat begrudgingly termed "Emperor of the Franks," not granting them anything Roman.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Numerical Anxiety posted:

They called themselves the Roman Empire, and the people were Romans - largely because Hellenes had become a synonym for pagan, and no one wanted to be that. The Western Roman Empire was also the Roman Empire, while it was around, same political unit with administrative distinctions. The Holy Roman Emperors were somewhat begrudgingly termed "Emperor of the Franks," not granting them anything Roman.

So where does the separation/distinction come from? Also, what happened to people commonly considered to be Romans after the fall of Western (half of the) Roman Empire? Did they die out? Languish in obscurity until Rennaisance?

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

JcDent posted:

So where does the separation/distinction come from? Also, what happened to people commonly considered to be Romans after the fall of Western (half of the) Roman Empire? Did they die out? Languish in obscurity until Rennaisance?

By the end of the third century, Diocletian instated a system of rule whereby there were two senior and two junior emperors, based on the idea that the empire was too large and times were too chaotic for a single man to rule it all. That system held while he was around, but afterwards - of course, there was another round of civil war, and Constantine emerged the victor, becoming sole Emperor. At the end of the fourth century, Theodosius divided the empire between his kids, giving one dominion over the east and one over the west. In theory, the Empire was one unit, even if it had two rulers. The events of the fifth century are quite complicated, but the end result is that the Western Empire ceases to exist as such, and its various territories are now ruled by Germanic guys - who, despite the stereotype, still consider themselves rulers in the Roman style, if not over the Empire as a whole. Justinian attempts to reconquer Italy and other parts of the Western Empire and is successful until a plague forces his armies to withdraw, and then the West gradually develops into a set of feudal kingdoms.

As for what happened to the Western Romans? They became Italians and French, Spanish and (South) Germans, English and all the rest. Germanic tribes might have ended up ruling over the territories of the old western empire, but they didn't displace the populations. Or did I misunderstand your question?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

At least for South Germany (I can't speak for other regions) remaining Romans* only represented a minority compared to the various Germanic peoples setting up shop there, owing to a decree by Odoacer in 488 that ordered all Romans living north of the Alps to move to Italy. Many parts of the area were pretty much entirely depopulated by that, but other parts of the Roman population chose to stay and merged with said Germanics. So the ethnogenesis of Bavaria seems to have been the result of various Germanic tribes intermingling with remaining provincial Romans.

* "Romans" also needs a closer definition: do you mean only Latin-speaking Romans who could trace their family back to Italy? Because the provincial population was pretty strongly romanised by the 5th century (most of it had held citizenship since the 3rd century anyway), but otoh there is good evidence that pockets of Celtic languages survived well into Late Antiquity and even beyond; Gaulish for example might have been spoken as late as the 6th century. So those provincial Romans would have spoken not only Latin, but occasionally also various Celtic languages and dialects.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

System Metternich posted:

At least for South Germany (I can't speak for other regions) remaining Romans* only represented a minority compared to the various Germanic peoples setting up shop there, owing to a decree by Odoacer in 488 that ordered all Romans living north of the Alps to move to Italy. Many parts of the area were pretty much entirely depopulated by that, but other parts of the Roman population chose to stay and merged with said Germanics. So the ethnogenesis of Bavaria seems to have been the result of various Germanic tribes intermingling with remaining provincial Romans.

* "Romans" also needs a closer definition: do you mean only Latin-speaking Romans who could trace their family back to Italy? Because the provincial population was pretty strongly romanised by the 5th century (most of it had held citizenship since the 3rd century anyway), but otoh there is good evidence that pockets of Celtic languages survived well into Late Antiquity and even beyond; Gaulish for example might have been spoken as late as the 6th century. So those provincial Romans would have spoken not only Latin, but occasionally also various Celtic languages and dialects.

I'm just curious why Italy is Italy, instead of Rome, when Greece is Greece, even though "Greece" was never a country back then.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JcDent posted:

I'm just curious why Italy is Italy, instead of Rome, when Greece is Greece, even though "Greece" was never a country back then.

Rome was a city state with an empire. There were plenty of other ethnic groups in Italy throughout that time.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

JcDent posted:

To put it very broadly, the myths of origin that 19th century nation-states wrote in order to give themselves a classical pedigree, more often than not, have only the slightest resemblance to the realities of the ancient world.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

HEY GAIL posted:

"basically an anthropology book but for fiction" is like Peak Hegel, i love that poo poo

There's this thing called "Glorantha" I think you will like it.

Numerical Anxiety posted:

To put it very broadly, the myths of origin that 19th century nation-states wrote in order to give themselves a classical pedigree, more often than not, have only the slightest resemblance to the realities of the ancient world.

This is astonishingly true.

And I have to laugh at people not counting the Eastern Empire as "Roman". "Rome" Wasn't even all that Roman.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 19, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

And I have to laugh at people not counting the Eastern Empire as "Roman". "Rome" Wasn't even all that Roman.

As one of my history professors once noted, the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Politically Convenient Mostly Germanic Oligarchic-Electorally-Feudal Bloc doesn't have the same ring to it though.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Cythereal posted:

As one of my history professors once noted, the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire.

He stole that from Voltaire fwiw :v: I would also disagree, especially with the "not an empire" bit, but then again I'm an unashamed HRE fanboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Had an amazing sunrise blot, can't remember when I last got up this early :coffee:

Thought of you guys. I might even make that nordic pagan thread, if I can stomach the posting in Ask / Tell :iamafag:

• Locked thread