Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

LemonDrizzle posted:

The government picks up the tab, afaik.

It seems to me that this policy will likely result in more people receiving necessary care that would otherwise not be available to them. That can only be seen as a good thing. But because it came from the mouth of a tory and isn't "full communism now" everyone itt is losing their poo poo over it

Has labour said anything to address this issue in their manifesto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

LemonDrizzle posted:

OK, so what would be a proper inheritance tax that exempts a primary house, and how much do you believe it would raise?

100% on everything, use the money (or the military) to nationalise all houses and give everyone a house and food.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

LemonDrizzle posted:

OK, so what would be a proper inheritance tax that exempts a primary house, and how much do you believe it would raise?

you seem real eager for people whose inheritance is going to be a house and basically nothing else to lose it to pay for care while people with loads of money aren't affected

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

It seems to me that this policy will likely result in more people receiving necessary care that would otherwise not be available to them. That can only be seen as a good thing. But because it came from the mouth of a tory and isn't "full communism now" everyone itt is losing their poo poo over it

Much like paying NI contributions covers things like state pension it should also cover care. Inheritance tax on houses should be a completely separate issue

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Nah, we just think the rich should be paying for that stuff via higher taxes. This is just loving over people who are unlucky enough to get sick when they're old and don't have a vault filled with gold to pay for it outright. The solution is to make care free, and then you can go hog wild on inheritance

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The rich won't be affected by it how hard is that to understand.
It'll be the middle class who in the next generation have their assets stripped.
How is that good.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

quote:

The radical center transcends left and right but takes important elements of both sides.

help im dying.... from American fascism apparently (narrowly beating out British fascism by a boot).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

"Sorry kids you're losing the home you grew up in and wanted to raise your own kids in because your mam's brain is mush and we have to sell it so she can be cared for"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem is that the very olds who have sense have been making living wills. transfer all assets to their boomer children, get given an allowance in return, and then hope they live long enough to get out of paying inheritance tax.

Second stage is of course that when they are dead the boomer children get a nice little pension top up renting out their house.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^They do check a few years back to make sure this wasn't done right before death or specifically to avoid tax so it's not quite that easy.

Jose posted:

"Sorry kids you're losing the home you grew up in and wanted to raise your own kids in because your mam's brain is mush and we have to sell it so she can be cared for"

Then a few elections down the line wait for the bitter dispossessed ex-middle class 'inheritors' to vote in parties which will deny the elderly access to any care unless they are making some contributions because 'it isn't fair that they get it for free but I lost my mums house', completely blind to the fact that they'll probably be caught out by such a rule.

Actually ronya that's what you're getting at isn't it?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

namesake posted:

^^They do check a few years back to make sure this wasn't done right before death or specifically to avoid tax so it's not quite that easy.

7 years, isn't it?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

namesake posted:

It's about 7 years.
Which is why the post specifically states:

quote:

get given an allowance in return, and then hope they live long enough to get out of paying inheritance tax.

e: beat ^^

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Miftan posted:

7 years, isn't it?

Might be time to have a chat with my mum and Dad.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

It'll be the middle class who in the next generation have their assets stripped.
How is that good.

Not their assets mate. I thought you were against ppl getting help from their parents?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jose posted:

The kids in this scenario are 50+

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

Not their assets mate. I thought you were against ppl getting help from their parents?

A house is the most significant asset of all.
I'm not against it, that's why I'm a big fan of you and your rich land lord Dad haha.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Please don't shame people for settling down a bit late

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

fridge corn posted:

It seems to me that this policy will likely result in more people receiving necessary care that would otherwise not be available to them.

Do you even know how the current system works?

The only people who will pay less money under the proposed system are those whose cash savings are between £23,500 and £100,000 who also either don't own a house or own a very very very cheap one.

People who have less than £23,500 in cash savings and own a home (with the value of their home and their savings combined worth more than £100,000) will pay more. In many cases a lot more.

Everyone else pays the same.

The second group is a lot bigger than the first one, and includes a lot more people who have never had very much but lucked into getting a house when they were actually affordable.

Yes, it's unfair that houses are more expensive now, but that's down to a lot more than just old people owning houses and the solution is not "force owner occupiers to sell to large companies".

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I can understand the arguement that it's a bit of a half measure but im surprised about the backlash against this policy. Given the current state of things it stands to both improve care and lessen the burden on the NHS. As it stands we are most likely looking at another tory government after this election, so im pleased that they've come out with this especially considering they didn't really have to address the issue

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that's why they call them grand kids

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Breath Ray posted:

My father's getting in-home care (and is paying for it, as he has sufficient savings) and I'm 33.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

My grandfather needed a full time carer as well, and my parents had just turned 40 when it happened.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

A house is the most significant asset of all.
I'm not against it, that's why I'm a big fan of you and your rich land lord Dad haha.

Sorry I should have emphasised that I meant the house is not THEIR (the heirs') asset, but the heirs' parents'. I mean we could dispose of ppl in passage graves in accordance with their wishes to never give up their home in this life or the next but seems better to use the sale of the house.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do you even know how the current system works?

The only people who will pay less money under the proposed system are those whose cash savings are between £23,500 and £100,000 who also either don't own a house or own a very very very cheap one.

People who have less than £23,500 in cash savings and own a home (with the value of their home and their savings combined worth more than £100,000) will pay more. In many cases a lot more.

Everyone else pays the same.

The second group is a lot bigger than the first one, and includes a lot more people who have never had very much but lucked into getting a house when they were actually affordable.

Yes, it's unfair that houses are more expensive now, but that's down to a lot more than just old people owning houses and the solution is not "force owner occupiers to sell to large companies".

There is nothing to suggest there will be a forced sale to large companies, and the measure only meaningfully affects dead people who have significantly more property wealth than most: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-5890.2016.12083/full

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

I'm 29, my mam is 63 and her family have a history of dementia and alzheimers

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

Houses are a good place to levy inheritance tax because you can't take them offshore.

Are you sure about that?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jose posted:

I'm 29, my mam is 63 and her family have a history of dementia and alzheimers

But you've already got a house of your own!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LemonDrizzle posted:

There is nothing to suggest there will be a forced sale to large companies, and the measure only meaningfully affects dead people who have significantly more property wealth than most: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-5890.2016.12083/full

It'll affect people who have around the median level of wealth, it will not affect* people who are very well off.

*The correlation between cash wealth and property wealth is important but is not addressed in that paper; I'm assuming it's large and positive which seems fairly safe.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bape Culture posted:

How is that good.

Because there is no middle class.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Because there is no middle class.

Alright. The top end of the "working class".

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

Might be time to have a chat with my mum and Dad.

If you're going to avoid inheritance tax you might as well do it properly and have the assets transferred to the grandkids.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
One of the problems of the scheme is that regardless of the merits of the actual policy itself, it's still a sop to the idea that social care is a commodity to be paid for and not a guaranteed right that should be available to everyone, since no amount of personal responsibility can stop you getting dementia.

Like, have inheritance tax by all means, but it should apply universally and be used to pay for social care, rather than directly punishing people who both happen to have money and are hit with dementia with no fault of their own.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Have money (but not that much)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MikeCrotch posted:

Like, have inheritance tax by all means, but it should apply universally and be used to pay for social care, rather than directly punishing people who both happen to have money and are hit with dementia with no fault of their own.

Does the policy itself focus on dementia and mental health care?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...d=facebook-post

I hope everybody is getting to know the renren.com layout!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It'll affect people who have around the median level of wealth
No, it will not meaningfully affect anyone passing down around the median level of wealth. In the worst case "around the median" scenario - where the dead person's property wealth is a few grand above the median for the oldest group - the inheritor would have to take out a tiny mortgage of a few grand to secure the house. Since the cost of servicing that mortgage would be vastly lower than any rent they might realistically be paying pre-inheritance, they're still coming out miles ahead.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
"What Will Happen To Me, Mrs May?": Heart-Wrenching Call From Carer

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

LemonDrizzle posted:

the inheritor would have to take out a tiny mortgage of a few grand to secure the house. Since the cost of servicing that mortgage would be vastly lower than any rent they might realistically be paying pre-inheritance, they're still coming out miles ahead.

If they've been living with their parents as carers they've probably not been paying any rent, and not everyone can get a mortgage you smug fucker.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Miftan posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...d=facebook-post

I hope everybody is getting to know the renren.com layout!

these threads will finally be put out of everyones misery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bape Culture posted:

Alright. The top end of the "working class".

Stop trying to divide the working class, that's only in the interest of capital.

• Locked thread