Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

The skilltree just gives PUGs another rope to hang themselves with, fine by me.

I have seen so many lights jetting around, as if being airborne somehow makes them immune to damage.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Isn't AMS supposed to give a better C-Bill or EXP bonus now if it protects team mates? I've been running around in a 3 AMS Kit-Fox and I haven't gotten a single C-Bill while protecting people from the insane amount of LURMs going on right now.

\/\/ That could be it. I haven't dug through the patch notes to find it yet.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 19, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I just thought it gave more match score than before?

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Let's talk about skill points for the sub optimal huginn because I am in love with it and a retard.

Obviously max missile skills. I took about half the agility tree. Radar dep is at 40%.

Here is the thing, it doesn't really overheat, so I think you can skip the normal operations tree (cool running, etc). I put those points into survivability because I feel like that jives well with its large innate structure bonuses. Is this bad?

I dropped the engine from a max 290xl to 280xl in order to fit asrm 6x2 and enough ammo. Asrm 4 just felt lackluster even with full middle skills.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Beeline for the missile node points but don't take anything extraneous beyond that. You want maximum agility because the huggin is at its best when it can circle another mech and shoot it in the rear, and you need the speed and mobility to do that. I would recommend getting sensors to full seismic and radar dep, because that will allow you to stop and see who is where without actually exposing yourself, and the higher target data gathering will let you see where to shoot on a target faster.

I would also recommend mounting machineguns on it with ASRM4s instead of the 6s. The four MGs will shred things and make them die significantly faster if you get behind something and it doesn't have the time to turn around on you. Don't take anything from the jump jet tree, but still definitely put jump jets on it. Those are massively important to your ability to get into a firing position and escape from the faster lights that will shred you to pieces like locusts and cheetahs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, you're probably okay to skip the ops tree, but I think I'd favor stacking Mobility over Survival. Even with quirks and all the armor/structure nodes, you're still a light. Speed if your first and finest defense.

Also, if MetaMechs is to be believed, it looks like you can cram an XL 285 in and still have plenty of ammo. Remember that you don't need armor on your arms!

Edit: beaten!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Please tell me you went into games with this disgusting thing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
is this game loving kidding?

I had a look at the skill tree and though "jeez, that's a lot of buttons", then I for some reason scrolled out and noticed a half dozen more skill trees.

what the actual gently caress?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

and it's going to cost me CB to convert my old xp into new xp?

why did I download 16GB of this bullshit?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It shouldn't cost C-Bills to convert Historic XP into XP.

But it does cost C-Bills to turn any kind of XP into SP (Skill Points), which is what you use to unlock nodes. It's because the new system replaces the old modules, so rather than spend C-bills to buy modules and XP to unlock mech masteries, you use a combination of both to buy nodes, and they cover the functionality of both the old systems.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I'm not even gonna try explaining how the system works. So far I have only played mechs that I previously had mastered so I had 91 skillpoints at the ready. For those that I had to buy more skillpoints for it seems they cost a ludicrous 40,000 cbills each so yeah...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

It shouldn't cost C-Bills to convert Historic XP into XP.

But it does cost C-Bills to turn any kind of XP into SP (Skill Points), which is what you use to unlock nodes. It's because the new system replaces the old modules, so rather than spend C-bills to buy modules and XP to unlock mech masteries, you use a combination of both to buy nodes, and they cover the functionality of both the old systems.

yes, XP to SP is what I meant - they don't want to help a fan enjoy this

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

I'm not even gonna try explaining how the system works. So far I have only played mechs that I previously had mastered so I had 91 skillpoints at the ready. For those that I had to buy more skillpoints for it seems they cost a ludicrous 40,000 cbills each so yeah...

45k C-bills and 800 XP per point, so roughly 4 million C-bills and 72k XP to reach 91 nodes.

That's honestly not bad considering that a single weapon module would run you 2-3 million under the old system.

starkebn posted:

yes, XP to SP is what I meant - they don't want to help a fan enjoy this

Yeah, no, I agree the system is ludicrously byzantine. The baseline mechanics aren't even that complicated, but the amount of needless obfuscation and complexity they've jizzed all over it makes it daunting for the uninitiated and tedious for the experienced.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 19, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Hahaha, they forgot to update the steam pack's timber wolf with the patch, so it has an acceleration of almost zero, and a deceleration that is equally low so once you hit 10kph you can't actually slow down or stop moving. There were a few mechs like this on the PTS, but one actually got through to the live patch.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I play path of exile

I don't want more than one labyrinth

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

starkebn posted:

and it's going to cost me CB to convert my old xp into new xp?

why did I download 16GB of this bullshit?

DON'T FORGET HISTORIC SKILLPOINTS!

There is a pool of historic skillpoints available and if you had all of your masteries you can get 91 per robit variant, at the cost of no CBills, and there's another pool of General Skill Points ( I have over 2000 ) that should incur no cost, gently caress this stupid game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Patched, loaded, chose skill nodes semi randomly on the only mech I still use (Huntsman), logged off.

Job done.

Also lol at anyone still using IS mechs after this hit.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

DancingShade posted:

Patched, loaded, chose skill nodes semi randomly on the only mech I still use (Huntsman), logged off.

Job done.

Remember when we used to frolic together in hazard striped crabs? I still have mine.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

XP
HXP
GXP
SP
HSP
GSP
CB
MC

ummmm

starkebn
May 18, 2004

ZombyDog posted:

Remember when we used to frolic together in hazard striped crabs? I still have mine.

I was just trying to run a 5 MPL crab and I am not good at this game (I never was)

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
5 MPL jumpy Crab can go one of two ways, the planets align and you manage to be an agile ninja and get 4 kills and still manage to make it to the end of the match with one leg and a cherry red side torso that's one fart away from being an exploding xl engine, or you commit too early and die shamefully having done 50 damage. The former is loving awesome when it happens but I'm prone to experience the latter with greater frequency.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ZombyDog posted:

Still got mine too. It has an excess of skill points apparently.

Think I was the only enthusiast of the 27SL variant back then. Gotta have jump jets though.

^ high five you cool person you

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 19, 2017

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

DancingShade posted:

Job done.

A lot of IS mechs are crazy strong right now if you invest in heat reduction. A lot of stuff lost out on range and cooldown quirks, but the new tree can get you 10.5% less heat per shot and 10% faster cooling, plus any inherent heat quirks. Plus double coolshot if you want.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I am not going to spend any points in the consumables tree.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Aww, come on, Air Strikes are really good against assaults now. It's almost impossible for them to get out of the way in time. Don't you want to spend 200,000 C-bills per match to carpet bomb the enemy while keeping your mech nice and chilly?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Artificer posted:

I am not going to spend any points in the consumables tree.
I've only mucked about with my Raven 3L(S), but you can bet I invested in some of the faster capping nodes and the UAV buffs.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah but I could spend that money on more robots.

And those points can be used on passives that I don't have to think about. :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Gate posted:

A lot of IS mechs are crazy strong right now if you invest in heat reduction. A lot of stuff lost out on range and cooldown quirks, but the new tree can get you 10.5% less heat per shot and 10% faster cooling, plus any inherent heat quirks. Plus double coolshot if you want.

The Marauder is one of them. They have a lot of inherent mobility, quirks make it better, and they still have the good hit boxes that they've always had. They're in a really good place right now if you like the corner peek.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I honestly have no clue why the skill tree effects aren't doubled and just half as large.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Possibly to allow for more incremental progress as you skill up a new mech? But, yeah, I can't see a good reason why every tree isn't roughly the same size as the Auxillary path.

Edit: It may have also been the minimum they could manage to deny some set level of hyper-specialization. I.e. preventing you from getting too much Heat Gen out of the Firepower tree without also taking a set amount of Range and Cooldown.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 19, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Marauder is one of them. They have a lot of inherent mobility, quirks make it better, and they still have the good hit boxes that they've always had. They're in a really good place right now if you like the corner peek.

The Bounty Hunter is supposedly really good now, I haven't had time to try mine out yet but I will this weekend. Also someone did the calculation and cool run is better per point (including the ones required to get them) than weap. heat generation:
0.35 / 17 = 0.0205 cooling per node
vs.
0.55 / 28 = 0.0196 heat savings per node

I'm all about the min-maxing so this is nice info to have.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It sure as poo poo better be, considering you have to take dead nodes to unlock full Cool Run. Even as is, I'd still take Heat Gen if I'm only going for one based on how much better the accoicate nodes are for Firepower vs. Ops.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So no one except maybe quirked mechs should get survival tree nodes? Because I am not planning to take any.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Artificer posted:

So no one except maybe quirked mechs should get survival tree nodes? Because I am not planning to take any.

And only lights and mediums from what I understand, I simply ignore it.

Just tried the MAD-BH2 and it's really good, haven't tried the others yet. I'm using the standard metamechs build: BOUNTY HUNTER II
My build is 45/0/25/0/11/10/0 and despite all this heat management I would not remove any heatsinks for that build. With the marauders tankyness it's really nice to be able to just pound face with the lasers constantly.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's very good on mediums, you can get 20% more armor, which lets you soak up a couple more alphas when twisting.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Since it had poo poo for quirks before but retained it's awesome armor bonuses, the bushwackers has benefited tremendously from this stupid skill tree bs.
As the resident wacker-whore here I am very pleased with this.
That is all.

ninja edit: seriously, it can be almost as thick as an assault now, with a heavy's weapon loadout, and a medium's speed and maneuverability. Praise unto the Wacker!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Gman (guy who does metamachs) re-evaluated the armor/structure nodes as well. He messed up the initial math I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/6bure8/a_skill_treeguide_resource_series_of_templates/dhqo7y8

So there's certain weight classes that get more per point than others, with 85-90 tons being the best. Also, sub 85 tons you want armor more than structure if you're focusing on one. Because :pgi:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
the first and only thing i speced out was my iv-four

:suicide:

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Atlatl posted:

Please tell me you went into games with this disgusting thing.

I've done it as a joke before, yeah. If you have a dedicated narc/tagger ecm light and you get a good lurm map, you can do a ton of damage. The person narcing has to call targets for you since you burn all your ammo in the first few minutes you engage the enemy, and you can't afford to hit walls. It's really the kind of mech someone sets up as a YouTube gimmick, then plays match after match trying to get footage of how "OP" it is. It's fun for a match or two before you go back to 5 SRM-6s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bushwhacker people: If I'm only going to buy one of them, which is the one to get? I'm eyeballing the X-2 for the balistic mounts and good mobility, but tell me if I"m wrong.

• Locked thread