Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its frustrating when you take it upon yourself to try to give someone really good advice and sit through their excuses and emotional tantrums; trying to get them to see that life can be different and they have the power to change things but then the circle comes back to their melodramatic whining. I've spent a lot of time in my life trying to listen and help out people when they tell me how lonely they are and how they wish they had friends/a girlfriend, and I think I cover a lot of the basic advice that are good ways to overcome those things, but "nah... my life has been nothing but hardship and this is just more hard work and no one gets me and blah blah....". Are you really that miserable then, even? Do you really want to change? Or are you just complacent in your wallowing and wanted to whine, and gosh drat it I should just pity you and stroke your ego and assuage your false sorrow? I am nearly thirty, and just too tired for this poo poo these days. Once I see that the pity parade is coming to town, I am just letting go of trying to be some kind of life coach. Just 'Uh huh. Yeah, that's too bad.' because anything useful to say is only going to fall on deaf ears.

Aka e/n syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

cinni posted:

Aka e/n syndrome.

Start pissing

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My pet peeve is when people insist on giving me advice when I really just want to vent.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Related, people who complain about how terrible their job is but make no attempt to change it.

I sat down with you for a day fixing up your CV just for this application, and it got you the interview, which you chose to not attend, complain to me about the job you're still in because of this, and you're getting pissed at me for saying you basically chose to stay there so can't complain? Yeah that's cool thanks.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

My pet peeve is when people insist on giving me advice when I really just want to vent.

I hope you preface this with you wanting to vent. Because otherwise gently caress you.

This was my pet peeve, thank you for listening.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Helios Grime posted:

I hope you preface this with you wanting to vent. Because otherwise gently caress you.

I'll second this. I think most peoples' first assumption is you are describing a problem because you'd like some insight into how to solve it, so there's no need to blow up on them when they try to help unless you explicitly tell them you don't want it beforehand.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Helios Grime posted:

I absolutely do. Some people do not care.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Complaining about somebody only speaking their native language in their own goddamn country is the most entitled poo poo ever.

I had sort of the opposite issue of this when I visited Japan. Most of the times I tried speaking Japanese to people they would respond to me in English, despite my Japanese usually being better than their English. I think part of it may have been that they wanted the opportunity to speak English to a foreigner in the same way I wanted the opportunity to practice my Japanese.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I had sort of the opposite issue of this when I visited Japan. Most of the times I tried speaking Japanese to people they would respond to me in English, despite my Japanese usually being better than their English. I think part of it may have been that they wanted the opportunity to speak English to a foreigner in the same way I wanted the opportunity to practice my Japanese.

When that happens to me in German I don't really mind that much. They can tell I am obviously a native English speaker and know it would be faster to just talk in English and get on with their day, even if they might appreciate the effort.

It's really the issue of people not even trying that bothers me. Even if you ask "do you speak english" in their language that's more than a lot of people are willing to do. The person I was indirectly talking about in my original post would just annoyed-ly say "english" whenever a German tried to tell/ask them something.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Broadly speaking, tourists who refuse to engage at all in the local culture, and instead are intent on shuffling through it like it's a museum, failing to interact in any meaningful way.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'll second this. I think most peoples' first assumption is you are describing a problem because you'd like some insight into how to solve it, so there's no need to blow up on them when they try to help unless you explicitly tell them you don't want it beforehand.

I don't have any actual supporting evidence on hand, but a lot of pop psychology that I've read says that this is particularly a thing with men; that they are
"Hardwired" to try to give advice, whereas women are more likely to just listen to venting.

Anyways like I said, I don't know what actual legit evidence has to say about the matter, so

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Broadly speaking, tourists who refuse to engage at all in the local culture, and instead are intent on shuffling through it like it's a museum, failing to interact in any meaningful way.

Just the other day I was on the way to a restaurant and wandered down a side street that had some tiny hole in the wall chinese/korean restaurant and it was like half of Asia was huddled around that place. I really don't get going to a foreign place and only eating your homeland's comfort food. It won't kill you to eat some bratwursts or whatever.

Other tourist peeve: people who think they are above the rules in places that prohibit photography and lag behind the tour groups to take pictures while everyone else follows the rules. It's people like that that made them make those rules in the first place. It should be nobody gets pictures or everybody does, stop trying to cheat.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Just the other day I was on the way to a restaurant and wandered down a side street that had some tiny hole in the wall chinese/korean restaurant and it was like half of Asia was huddled around that place. I really don't get going to a foreign place and only eating your homeland's comfort food. It won't kill you to eat some bratwursts or whatever.

Admittedly this is anecdotal, but I've read about how many Chinese supposedly stuff their luggage with instant noodles when going on trips abroad. Apparently, there is a superstition/prejudice to the effect that foreign food cannot be digested, and so they require familiar sustenance.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

And the mirror image: locals who treat you like some kind of walking moneybag that can be sold all kinds of garbage goods and services, instead of a fellow human being. Such people will often assume that you cannot understand even the most basic words of the local language and that you only understand tourist English.

Some concrete examples: I've visited Italy twice, and made sure to learn the basics of the language before the first trip. Most of the time Italians seem to prefer to speak their own language and will assume you can understand it and answer in Italian if you speak it to them. I also remember four incidents of Italians asking me for directions. The minority, on the other hand, will do stuff like going "Hello" instead of "Buon Giorno" or "Buona Sera" when you walk past their place of employment. Apparently they believe this will make you more likely to purchase their services, but all they accomplish is coming across as condescending and giving you a reason to avoid them. Similarily, there were some Indian-looking clothes hawkers who think going "I've got your size sir" at random passersby who haven't even looked at their wares will lead to increased sales.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

genetic_knockout posted:

I don't have any actual supporting evidence on hand, but a lot of pop psychology that I've read says that this is particularly a thing with men; that they are
"Hardwired" to try to give advice, whereas women are more likely to just listen to venting.

Anyways like I said, I don't know what actual legit evidence has to say about the matter, so

I have also heard this and it's certainly true culturally in my experience but i don't want to go down the :biotruths: rabbit hole

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

"hardwired" is a massive biotruths exaggeration, yes, but men are absolutely socialized in western society to be solution-oriented, rather than emotionally

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A pet peeve that is seen in lesser episodes of good shows is when an otherwise entertaining story feels the need to completely derail a character. The OWCA files special in Phineas and Ferb did a pretty jarring thing with Doofenshmirtz despite being a clever idea that I otherwise enjoyed. (The reason that Heinz Doofenshmirtz is able to join OWCA despite being human is because he is legally considered by the US government to be an Ocelot by adoption due to spending most of his childhood raised by a pack of them after his family moved away abandoning him) Most of it was pretty OK, with one scene that I kind of loved with Heinz the Ocelot getting a cute song about Teamwork linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckauWxAUHsY

The derailment comes in a small running gag where an overly excitable Heinz accidentally launches a bunch of missiles offscreen that set up a later scene in which those missiles turned out to have embedded themselves in Phineas and Ferb's house - however that invention is totally out of character. In Norm Unleashed, Norm the robot recognises that Doof's inventions invariably fail so he's just going to make a weapon and conquer the tristate area for him - however when he puts his plan into action Heinz comments that he'd never be so amateurish and dull as to sink to building a standard weapon. The missiles should never have existed in the first place.

I don't count Perry's behaviour as out of character however - the series proper has shown that he is pretty bad at his job, constantly letting his personal feelings interfere with his professional judgement, like in Across the Second Dimension where he completely failed to stop Heinz taking the main characters into an alternate dimension because he was afraid of getting outed - he'd rather his host family be endangered than get separated from them, very irresponsible behaviour.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:24 on May 18, 2017

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think I understand your peeve, but holy poo poo that's a lot of thought you put into this children's cartoon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inspector 34 posted:

I think I understand your peeve, but holy poo poo that's a lot of thought you put into this children's cartoon.

To be fair all the context comes directly from the show. We see everything I mentioned explicitly. Doesn't take that much though, just memories of other episodes - a cool example of something relating to that is actually in the Scrubs musical episode where Carla quizzes Turk on herself in a Tango because he keeps confusing her for Puerto Rican when she's actually from the Dominican Republic - that song has a few questions, all of which can be answered by previous episodes. She asks in one verse:

1)Did I grow up in Illinois or was it Michigan?
2)How Long before we met was I in medicine?
3)Was our wedding song the Beatles or Led Zeppelin?
4)Am I freaking Puerto Rican or Dominican?

In order - 1) she grew up in Chicago, Illinois, she jokes about it when JD asks where she grew up thinking that she was an immigrant in a fairly early episode.
2) About 8 years? Can't remember the actual number, but in the episode where JD hurts her feelings about being a nurse, she has the line "x years I did this job. And noone ever made me feel bad for what I do. Then you came along..." That number is the answer.
3) Carla and Turk had an argument about the wedding planning stuff so the audience is told every detail about their wedding from that argument, even if they didn't remember it.
4)Dominican. She just loving said.

I'm not obsessive, I just pay attention when I watch shows so remember minutia more easily than most stuff. It just kind of sticks in my head.

Also I'm a TOTAL loving NERD :v:

happysaph98
May 11, 2017

terezi my beloved....
People that put cigarette butts in ashtrays and trash cans when they're walking around and saying they hate litter, but still tossing them out car windows. It goes to the same place you loving moron. You can get a car ashtray that glows in the dark for a loving dollar. Why does it glow in the dark? Who the gently caress knows?

Dissociative Donut
Oct 9, 2009

by Pragmatica
So you can actually hit the ashtray when you're driving after dark.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"lol" is not punctuation, you soft-skulled dribble-cup huckleberries.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

I agree with you smh

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Neither 👏 are 👏 clap 👏 emojis 👏 goddammit.

(I mean, I suppose technically...)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What are the hands even supposed to signify? A long pause between words? I only ever see it on these forums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What are the hands even supposed to signify? A long pause between words? I only ever see it on these forums.

They're clapping for emphasis

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sentences starting with "I mean" annoys me. I've done it myself. It's still annoying.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
My educational background is in medical science and pharmacy, but I am not a doctor/pharmacist. A lot of people I know ask me tons of medical/drug questions nonetheless. I am not qualified to answer your questions, guys. Maybe ask your actual health care providers?? Of course they always have a million excuses why they can't go see their doctor/pharmacist for their usually pretty important/scary sounding issues (we live in Canada, so money not so much an issue)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Those loving sinks in public bathrooms where you have to push a knob down to turn the water on for five seconds because the cheap assholes who run the place want to save a few cents on water. That poo poo is unsanitary. You have to touch the same knob after washing your hands that you and everyone else already touched with dirty hands!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Stupid loving internet theories, almost always inane bullshit that's not funny, doesn't makes sense, and doesn't improve the material in any way shape or form. Everybody is familiar with the various "the entire story is actually playing out in the main character's dying last thoughts" but what brought this up is this stupid article I stumbled upon when looking for the wiki page about the song "One Week"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the-barenaked-ladies-song-one-week-holds-a-dark-terrifying-s?utm_term=.fq4dbDDByR#.kkMrOVV4pM

An article about how the song is actually about the singer murdering his girlfriend even though none of it actually makes any sense.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how that Buzzfeed article has two staff writers credited when it's just reposting something they found on Reddit.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

genetic_knockout posted:

My educational background is in medical science and pharmacy, but I am not a doctor/pharmacist. A lot of people I know ask me tons of medical/drug questions nonetheless. I am not qualified to answer your questions, guys. Maybe ask your actual health care providers?? Of course they always have a million excuses why they can't go see their doctor/pharmacist for their usually pretty important/scary sounding issues (we live in Canada, so money not so much an issue)

Ditto legal professionals. They don't want you to actually take on their problem; they want a magic word (or in your case, to tell them they're fine and it's nothing to worry about) or phrase that can get them out of a speeding ticket/DWI/DV/other offense. Never mind I work in a loving corporate office for a major corporation and haven't even thought about criminal law since the bar exam. I am so unqualified to discuss anything even remotely criminal/family law/tax law related.

The best was a girl who I'd worked with years ago and only talked to once in a blue moon asking me where she could find a cheap/free lawyer for her friend-of-a-friend who'd been arrested for sexual assault. She knew he was innocent, she just KNEW it because he's a Really Good Guy. Oh, so you were a witness? No, I just really know this guy and he's really a good guy, he'd never do anything like this.

And of course it always has to be free or cheap.

Another peeve, and yes, I have many, is constant parties for coworkers. I like my coworkers, and I like lunches and cake and stuff, but why do we have multiple parties each time one of them has a kid or a birthday or leaves? Our contractors have been dropping like flies (which is another peeve, newsflash corporations, if you keep hiring contractors they will leave you with very little notice and you'll be hosed because you showed them no loyalty so why should they show you any?), and last week we had THREE farewell lunches for just ONE of the contractors. She was with us for a year and was liked, but three is unreasonable! And if it's a birthday we have to all go to lunch, and then have a separate lunch because the department head missed the first one, then we have to have cupcakes at the next weekly meeting, and we have to loving sing to this poor bastard who smiles awkwardly waiting for the song to be over so he can eat his sad loving cupcake.

It's a stupid thing to complain about, because the reason this keeps coming up is that I have nice enough colleagues who throw each other parties and invite me to things, it just seems like it's always someone's Special Day(s).

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Garrand posted:

Stupid loving internet theories, almost always inane bullshit that's not funny, doesn't makes sense, and doesn't improve the material in any way shape or form. Everybody is familiar with the various "the entire story is actually playing out in the main character's dying last thoughts" but what brought this up is this stupid article I stumbled upon when looking for the wiki page about the song "One Week"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the-barenaked-ladies-song-one-week-holds-a-dark-terrifying-s?utm_term=.fq4dbDDByR#.kkMrOVV4pM

An article about how the song is actually about the singer murdering his girlfriend even though none of it actually makes any sense.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read, especially when they actually do have a song that takes place in the last thoughts of a dying man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhk-DiPqhr8

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sentences starting with "I mean" annoys me. I've done it myself. It's still annoying.

I started doing this in college I think and I have no idea why or how it makes any sense but it's something I do every day.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Glazier posted:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read, especially when they actually do have a song that takes place in the last thoughts of a dying man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhk-DiPqhr8

They also already have a song about a woman being stalked and murdered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHT-7rMJ5WI

But by all means, internet, let's pretend One Week is about something super dark, it's funny because it's that goofy band the Barenaked Ladies, get it, ha ha

e: my pet peeve is people that diss BNL :mad:
e2: apparently I have already posted about this particular peeve in this thread before

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 19:52 on May 20, 2017

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

They also already have a song about a woman being stalked and murdered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHT-7rMJ5WI

But by all means, internet, let's pretend One Week is about something super dark, it's funny because it's that goofy band the Barenaked Ladies, get it, ha ha

e: my pet peeve is people that diss BNL :mad:
e2: apparently I have already posted about this particular peeve in this thread before

I'll second that peeve. BNL are (or were if you're a purist) amazing songwriters and most of their catalog is serious; with some of their best songs covering depression, terrorism, war and suicide.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Podcast ads. I may have just been lucky earlier, but many of the podcasts I listen to have been increasing the amount, and elaborating the content of*, the ads they run. I can't even play the "hit FF ten seconds" game anymore to just skip em.

I know they gotta pay the bills, but ugh.

* usually by turning the whole thing into a unfunny bit

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish someone would bomb the Lootcrate offices

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
People spelling Tabasco as Tobasco.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

Podcast ads.

I hate the ones where they say they use the product/service themself. It never sounds genuine (even though it probably is true at least some of the time), it just feels like they think their audience is a bunch of morons - like we think they're not being paid to say it. It's an ad, just do it like an ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why are so many of the ads about underwear?