Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So I've been playing this for a while now but still can't figure out what the resource is that looks like a little crate or companion cube or what ever. What does it mean?

That means the system has a trade center. The cluster of smaller boxes is a subsidiary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IAmTheRad posted:

Hoping it's the vaulters. Curiously absent.

They're not absent. Vaulters became the United Empire.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cease to Hope posted:

That means the system has a trade center. The cluster of smaller boxes is a subsidiary.

How would things be giving something like +2 centers of trade per pop? It reads more like a resource, like a luxury or something but I never see where else it shows up.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

How would things be giving something like +2 centers of trade per pop? It reads more like a resource, like a luxury or something but I never see where else it shows up.

Post a screenshot then? Not sure what you're referring to.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

It's a marker for saying "this counts as one of everything" or "this applies to all resources" such as +5% to the four major resources.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is a good beginner faction to start with? Any quick advice?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

United Empire. They get more of the hardest to earn resource (Influence, basically a byword for the ability to grease the gears of the political machine) and have a simple to understand core mechanic. (They can spend influence to rush things, and they get influence for building things.) and they're the most "vanilla" faction.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sophons are extremely vanilla and reward you for exploring the tech tree for the first time.

Horatio are well-balanced and can settle anywhere. They're perfect for anyone who wants to expand everywhere as quickly as possible.

Cravers are the aggro faction, if you want to kill everyone you meet the moment you meet them.

Then again I always pick the weird fucker faction to start things out, so it might help to be more specific about what you want.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i appear to have randomly become unable to move my fleets. any system just has a looking glass, and when i click on a system it zooms to an enemy system near my capital

edit: restarting the game fixed it

Davincie fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 19, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They really changed the tech tree around, I like that colonization techs are a bit more spread out rather than all grouped at the end.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man, the art direction of this game is amazing.

Any good starting tips for the Vodyani? I fooled around a bit with the Sophons, but made too many newbie mistakes to commit to the campaign, and I like the idea of the space vampires eating planets.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

ZearothK posted:

Any good starting tips for the Vodyani? I fooled around a bit with the Sophons, but made too many newbie mistakes to commit to the campaign, and I like the idea of the space vampires eating planets.

Eat the first minor faction you come across. You need Essence that badly. Focus hard on colonization and military tech.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ZearothK posted:

vodyani are secretly the aggro faction. cravers can play peacefully for a surprisingly long time, but vodyani profit from neverending cold war and are ruthless killers in a hot war.

change the ark layout to be all vampire modules, no engines, right away. you'll want to refit for engines later (the option to get special engines from your story quest is great, take that), but early on you need ankh resource whose name I forget.

you have a savage early game fleet advantage. you should aggressively muscle in on any minors or majors in your vicinity early on. you may even want to use an ark chiefly as a combat ship at this point. leech ruthlessly and be willing to throw away leech ships on your neighbors just to keep an idea of how tough their fleets are. later on, send ark ships along with your push to give you a base of operations or leech strategics that you're short on.

there's a difference between "eating" and going to war with someone. eating someone means destroying their fleets and camping their system with vamp ships with a few protectors. when you actually declare war, destroy everything until you're forced to stop. since you can wreck their poo poo without worrying about instability from newly conquered systems, you can grab a shitload of space and make use of it much more quickly and efficiently than factions that have to sink a bunch of resources into fixing happiness from conquest and overextension.

+X per planet buildings are excellent for vodyani, and food is relevant for them for a lot longer than most other factions. happiness is a lot less relevant: while +X per (pop) stats are about as relevant for them as anyone, their pops aren't multiplied for the purpose of happiness/overcrowding. plus, you don't need to colonize as much to hold certain space, and you can reposition to take advantage of new techs (like new planet types and new metal types). plus, their happiness buildings are a lot better, since they have a +happiness per level building instead of the +happiness per alien race building that kind of sucks.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 19, 2017

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

ZearothK posted:

Cease to Hope posted:

vodyani are secretly the aggro faction. cravers can play peacefully for a surprisingly long time, but vodyani profit from neverending cold war and are ruthless killers in a hot war.

change the ark layout to be all vampire modules, no engines, right away. you'll want to refit for engines later (the option to get special engines from your story quest is great, take that), but early on you need ankh resource whose name I forget.

you have a savage early game fleet advantage. you should aggressively muscle in on any minors or majors in your vicinity early on. you may even want to use an ark chiefly as a combat ship at this point. leech ruthlessly and be willing to throw away leech ships on your neighbors just to keep an idea of how tough their fleets are. later on, send ark ships along with your push to give you a base of operations or leech strategics that you're short on.

there's a difference between "eating" and going to war with someone. eating someone means destroying their fleets and camping their system with vamp ships with a few protectors. when you actually declare war, destroy everything until you're forced to stop. since you can wreck their poo poo without worrying about instability from newly conquered systems, you can grab a shitload of space and make use of it much more quickly and efficiently than factions that have to sink a bunch of resources into fixing happiness from conquest and overextension.

+X per planet buildings are excellent for vodyani, and food is relevant for them for a lot longer than most other factions. happiness is a lot less relevant: while +X per (pop) stats are about as relevant for them as anyone, their pops aren't multiplied for the purpose of happiness/overcrowding. plus, you don't need to colonize as much to hold certain space, and you can reposition to take advantage of new techs (like new planet types and new metal types). plus, their happiness buildings are a lot better, since they have a +happiness per level building instead of the +happiness per alien race building that kind of sucks.

To add to this, there are a few gimmicks players should take advantage of as Vodyani to give themselves a substantial advantage. Vodyani are the easiest faction to fall behind with, and falling behind with them means falling behind dramatically; they get out-colonised rapidly, their pops take a long while to grow, and they can't take advantage of being able to instantly exploit all the planets in the system until they get the relevant colonisation techs or political party.

So to circumvent falling behind, what a player really wants to do is get the Ecologists in power. Ecologists are broken with Vodyani for obvious reasons, in that the party's enforced policy lets the Vodyani take advantage of 4- or 5-planet systems rather early on, which gives them a meaningful production advantage over their neighbours. You want to find a 4- or 5-planet system with many high-industry worlds, something that's not too uncommon depending on nearby star types, and colonise it as soon as your Ecologists take over, which means timing the arrival of an ark ship into the system in question (whether it's your starting one or the first one you produce is up to you, but doing the the former is generally very inefficient). It can be easy to get a new system that has somewhere between 200-300 industry just a few turns after colonisation with this method, which is important when your neighbours will generally have at best maybe half that on their home system. You take advantage of this system to spam out leechers and ark ships and any necessary military ships -- it's quite possible that your primary limiting factor, if all has gone well, will be dust at this point. From here, you should be the strongest faction in the game for a good while, and your only real weaknesses are potential dust shortage and the eventuality of the ecologists falling out of power. Try to colonise a few more supersystems before that happens.

The biggest crux to this is getting the ecologists into power in the first place, which can be difficult and rather susceptible to the whims of the RNG. Focusing on ecologist techs, pursuing relations with only +ecologist minor factions, and spamming extra scout ships will all be to some extent necessary to get the ecologists strong enough to win your first election. You'll also need a bit of luck finding a suitable industry system, but chances are good you'll find something at least half-decent to your purposes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hmm

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm in the very late game and still no option to build trade HQ, don't see it in the tech list or maybe I'm missing it? Seems weird when so many empires have trade related bonuses that it only comes into play in the end?

Also how do I genocide pops? I don't want these loving cravers ruining my planets.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm in the very late game and still no option to build trade HQ, don't see it in the tech list or maybe I'm missing it? Seems weird when so many empires have trade related bonuses that it only comes into play in the end?

Also how do I genocide pops? I don't want these loving cravers ruining my planets.

Can you chain gang them away? Or raze the system that has them in?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe I've been playing too much stellaris but it seems like quite an obvious missing feature to have a bit more population controls in the population screen. My galaxy is in an existential war against the cravers and I want to eliminate them. Unlike other races their pops have the special depletion mechanic and I want them gone. I want to drag them into a spaceport set for "space"

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe I've been playing too much stellaris but it seems like quite an obvious missing feature to have a bit more population controls in the population screen. My galaxy is in an existential war against the cravers and I want to eliminate them. Unlike other races their pops have the special depletion mechanic and I want them gone. I want to drag them into a spaceport set for "space"

I think there was a workaround during the early access of sending them to a system with full population, maybe see if that still works?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Baronjutter posted:

You probably just missed it. It's a third tier tech in the economy section.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What do the Vodyani use food for?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Demiurge4 posted:

What do the Vodyani use food for?

Minor faction growth, but also they can gain pop via food, it's just slow compared to other factions.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

United Empire. They get more of the hardest to earn resource (Influence, basically a byword for the ability to grease the gears of the political machine) and have a simple to understand core mechanic. (They can spend influence to rush things, and they get influence for building things.) and they're the most "vanilla" faction.

Thanks, yeah I did some test games with the UE and the Sophons, I think I will try to finish a campaign with the UE first.

So it seems like a good strategy to settle as wide as possible quickly, right? There's no penalty besides the expansion disapproval cap? And it seems like once you have one colony in a system it's pretty cheap to open up other planets in the same system?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sophons are pretty bad unless you have a plan. It's pretty easy to get into a situation where you cherry-picked what you thought was good but end up with no infrastructure.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Finally got a launch trailer on YouTube. They showed it on their Twitch Stan announcing the early launch, but they didn't get it up on YT right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBo-4f3b90o

Makes me even sadder that I'm stuck here at work rather than losing horribly as I learn how to play ES2.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

^^^^^ :argh: I was literal seconds from posting it but decided to check back a couple of pages to make sure it hadn't shown up yet.

Seriously though, thats a real good trailer. The music choice and the aesthetic are great.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is there a way to change the resolution outside of the game? Mine has spazzed out and made it so big I can't even access the confirm button in the options menu to change it back. It's locked so I can't even move it about.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Thanks for the Vodyani tips on this page. I started with them because I wanted to avoid going with the most vanilla-looking empire like I usually do in games like this. I'm having fun poking around and figuring out how they work, but I probably have fallen behind.

Question: I got a quest early on to brainwash a minor faction, and I came across these bug-people who I moved in on. I never could figure out how to actually brainwash them, I just did a quest to help them like normal. Did I miss something, is there another way to pull this off?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Conot posted:

^^^^^ :argh: I was literal seconds from posting it but decided to check back a couple of pages to make sure it hadn't shown up yet.

Seriously though, thats a real good trailer. The music choice and the aesthetic are great.

:hfive:
If there's one thing I don't think Amplitude has ever gotten wrong it's aesthetics, though I played very little of ES1, it was long after it had released and quite a while ago so I might be off there.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Flipswitch posted:

Is there a way to change the resolution outside of the game? Mine has spazzed out and made it so big I can't even access the confirm button in the options menu to change it back. It's locked so I can't even move it about.

Not at my pc right now so I can't confirm this but have you checked the documents folder for Endless Space 2 to look for an ini or xml file? I think there was one for Legend called Registry.xml

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Ecologists are much less important in 1.0, even for Vodyani. Colonization techs come much faster now, and are bundled with other benefits.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So it seems like a good strategy to settle as wide as possible quickly, right? There's no penalty besides the expansion disapproval cap? And it seems like once you have one colony in a system it's pretty cheap to open up other planets in the same system?

Yes and yes. There's no significant incentive to play any taller than your overcolonization cap, especially with vanilla factions like UE. UE in particular wants to colonize as close to enemies as they can get away with, then backfill the empty systems in between, because of their naturally large zones of control.

Serf posted:

Question: I got a quest early on to brainwash a minor faction, and I came across these bug-people who I moved in on. I never could figure out how to actually brainwash them, I just did a quest to help them like normal. Did I miss something, is there another way to pull this off?

Get to 75% approval and do their quest, or 100% approval and pay the assimilation cost.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Wait, colonization techs are worthwhile to take now, with other benefits? I would take them in the very first release solely to colonize planets, using up those precious research slots.
One thing I like is that there is a technology helper that recommends what you should learn next. Sometimes I have no clue what will help my people out.

I do plan a Horatio game to make the galaxy perfect. Even if it involves destroying Auriga.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Onean posted:

:hfive:
If there's one thing I don't think Amplitude has ever gotten wrong it's aesthetics, though I played very little of ES1, it was long after it had released and quite a while ago so I might be off there.

I think ES1 was a bit confused and unsure about its aesthetic (not unreasonable, considering it was the first game from a then unknown developer).

I mean, just look at ES1 Horatio vs now

vs

Endless Legend was when they really learned to embrace it more, and also be a bit more wild with the faction assymetry (which you could see creeping in towards the end of ES1, with the Harmony)

This trailer just reeks of style though. The wispy Dust, the flat white fighters unimportant if not for their use of Dust. The heretic shrouded in white and encircled by Dust. The Academy badge. The red motif of the UE so vivid and clear on the Hero. :neckbeard:

Amplitude have to be one my favourite developers of the 2010s

Serf
May 5, 2011

Onean posted:

Finally got a launch trailer on YouTube. They showed it on their Twitch Stan announcing the early launch, but they didn't get it up on YT right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBo-4f3b90o

Makes me even sadder that I'm stuck here at work rather than losing horribly as I learn how to play ES2.

Wow, that is a good cinematic trailer. Nice stuff.

Does the tech tree in this game change at all depending on your empire choice? Just curious from a story standpoint because some these techs seem odd flavor-wise.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Serf posted:

Does the tech tree in this game change at all depending on your empire choice? Just curious from a story standpoint because some these techs seem odd flavor-wise.

Some techs are unique to your faction, though I haven't seen many besides the ones that unlock ship types. You can tell because they have the empire icon beneath them on the tech screen.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

There's unique techs from the quests too

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Serf posted:

The Horatio tech to genetically modify non-Horatio into Horatio is Horatio-only.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

There's virtually no difference here in aesthetic, or artist's technical skill? But yes ES1 was bland and EL had flavour. I'm in the 'don't be an early adopter' phase of 4X games now, after being burnt by like three major 1.0 releases, so I'll take your word that Horatio is more flavorful this time around.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Horatio is way cooler now and the main story quest does a lot to do that. Horatio Prime is a title and all his dirty little clones are constantly fighting over who gets to be the original. The thing is, none of them are but they are every bit as selfish and egomaniacal as the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Horatio is better when you realize they basically created a whole new type of 4X space strategy race based on an episode of Red Dwarf.