Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Walrus posted:

if it wasn't directly targeting someone I would argue that it's an opportunity for a teaching moment, not a chance to fire someone. but yes it should be a big deal and taken seriously.

edit: also let's have some consistency, pillars' action was not the equivalent of standing up in a crowded quiet office and screaming 'human being' it's more an under the breath thing that came out louder than intended. this is not intended to minimize his action.

No one in civil society in 2017 should be throwing that slur around, any more than racial ones that have gotten people fired.

In my 21 years in the workplace I've never accidently called someone something like that, probably because it's been a firing offense for at least that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Citizen Tayne posted:

No one in civil society in 2017 should be throwing that slur around, any more than racial ones that have gotten people fired.

In my 21 years in the workplace I've never accidently called someone something like that, probably because it's been a firing offense for at least that long.

Yep I can totally see where you're coming from, and don't really want to make an argument out of it. But if I were an employer and someone that I thought was a respectful, good kid let slip a slur like that, it would be an opportunity to educate them about why it is unacceptable and its effects on others. What good is firing him going to do?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Walrus posted:

Yep I can totally see where you're coming from, and don't really want to make an argument out of it. But if I were an employer and someone that I thought was a respectful, good kid let slip a slur like that, it would be an opportunity to educate them about why it is unacceptable and its effects on others. What good is firing him going to do?

Anyone who lacks the judgment to know not to say that, especially in a high profile job, is a ticking time bomb who is going to cause more trouble.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Walrus posted:

Were you a manager gay employees would feel unsafe at your company. That's bad.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Fair enough. I think this could be discussed further but we're far away enough from Pillar that it should probably not happen here :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1403400183/colmin-berrios-strikes-out-11-over-7-23-innings/?game_pk=490696

:allears:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

And the play that saved the shutout:

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/05/18/1401995183/1495151341462/asset_1800K.mp4

:ssh: that's the least rangy of the Twins regular outfielders :ssh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm a big fan of Berrios' cleats, too.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Intruder posted:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/02/28/as-fans-claim-conspiracy-as-sogard-narrowly-misses-face-of-mlb-title/

For some reason I remember there being a suspicious influx of votes from Korea at the last second but the story doesn't mention that at all so :shrug:

Ah okay I saw Korea and assumed you were talking about Thames

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ceciliani has gone to the DL, and the Jays have called up Anthony Alford. :getin:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

Ceciliani has gone to the DL, and the Jays have called up Anthony Alford. :getin:

I hope he gets to pinch run tonight cause he's headed back to AA tomorrow

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've read about six pages of Blue Jay related posting about headhunting, slurs, and what sounds like bench clearing madness.

How the hell did a meaningless interleague series between two bad teams who will not face each other again for years become The Rivalry For Our Times?

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Craptacular! posted:

I've read about six pages of Blue Jay related posting about headhunting, slurs, and what sounds like bench clearing madness.

How the hell did a meaningless interleague series between two bad teams who will not face each other again for years become The Rivalry For Our Times?

It was the perfect series of events. A microcosm of all the horseshit folks grumble about in baseball, minus PEDs.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
The actual rivalry was the Blue Jays vs my lifelong passion for baseball.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Craptacular! posted:

It's mid-May and everyone is bored and everything you listed is so much less exciting than it might sound at first.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Craptacular! posted:

Imagine if the Jays strolled into AT&T for a series, broke Posey's wrist and sent him to the DL for 10 weeks with a HBP, one of their players called Moore a human being, and then Bautista hit one into the bay and flipped his bat while staring the pitcher down just a few innings later.

That's how.

e. Oh and in the final game of the series after that they absolutely crush you.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 19, 2017

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

The Blue Jays called up Anthony Alford, the worst quarterback to ever play at Southern Miss under the worst head coach in the history of college football (Ellis Johnson). I can't decide if I want him to fail or not.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
After Stroman's ding dong last night I almost wish he played for a NL team

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

big trivia FAIL posted:

The Blue Jays called up Anthony Alford, the worst quarterback to ever play at Southern Miss under the worst head coach in the history of college football (Ellis Johnson). I can't decide if I want him to fail or not.
He's a nice guy.

Also his parents' house burned down a few months ago and they lost everything

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
holy gently caress, this article http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/aaron-loup-has-a-problem/

tldr, his problem is that 4.6% of the LHBs that face him get beaned. holy gently caress.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

lol @ John Coppolella complimenting a fan on having Bautista getting socked in the yap as his avatar:

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/865647526199808001

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's a nice guy.

Also his parents' house burned down a few months ago and they lost everything

he was really bad at football though

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

big trivia FAIL posted:

he was really bad at football though

That's why he's playing baseball now!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just watched Kyle Hendricks walk in the tie breaking run for Milwaukee in the cubs bar in ohare. Feels good.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

I just watched Kyle Hendricks walk in the tie breaking run for Milwaukee in the cubs bar in ohare. Feels good.

Ahem I think you will actually find it was the rain that walked a batter from a 1-2 count.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Ahem I think you will actually find it was the rain that walked a batter from a 1-2 count.

Lol, of course. My mistake.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

I wonder who the NL catcher/pitcher duo was

Jesus Flores and Stephen Strasburg, 5/20/2012, Nats at Orioles.

There's also a game where Brooks Kieschnick and Eddie Perez went back to back for the Brewers against the Twins, but Kieschnick was DH'ing at the time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

No you didn't.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Strasburg was OPSing 1.162 after this game. And actually finished the year at a more than respectable .759.

In 53 plate appearances for the whole year, but whatever.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

cis autodrag posted:

You need to get your eyes checked.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

lol @ John Coppolella complimenting a fan on having Bautista getting socked in the yap as his avatar:

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/865647526199808001

oh for the love of....

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/865675360905551872

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Explosionface posted:

You need to get your eyes checked.

Maybe. The TV was pretty crappy. Who was pitching? Game is delayed now anyway.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

cis autodrag posted:

Maybe. The TV was pretty crappy. Who was pitching? Game is delayed now anyway.

Mike Montgomery. Worth noting he's a LHP and Hendricks is a RHP.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Imagine if the Jays strolled into AT&T for a series, broke Posey's wrist and sent him to the DL for 10 weeks with a HBP, one of their players called Moore a human being, and then Bautista hit one into the bay and flipped his bat while staring the pitcher down just a few innings later.

That's how.

e. Oh and in the final game of the series after that they absolutely crush you.

Just another series for the 2017 Giants

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
http://deadspin.com/tim-tebow-exhibits-that-old-nfl-accuracy-hits-fan-in-d-1795382840

quote:

“I hear this guy behind me yell, ‘Watch out,’” said Brustman. “And as he’s yelling, the ball comes right through the railing and hits me right in the nuts. It was a direct hit.”

[...]

“It was literally like a Seinfeld episode. The guy behind me shouts, ‘It was TEBOW,’” said Brustman. “It reminded me of his days with the Jets when he couldn’t complete a pass. This guy is so inaccurate, even with a baseball.”

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

yay Rangers :toot:

I can't wait for the other shoe to drop

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The Rangers are never going to lose again

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kennys Vargas was very mean to a baseball (and the Royals) tonight

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1406670983/kcmin-vargas-launches-a-gametying-tworun-homer/

(the Twins won in the tenth :toot:)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/BarstoolJJ/status/865756260494344193

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/865760446753763328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Twins! Twins? Twins.