Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

nexus6 posted:

How on Earth are they going a have a full movie set between Prometheus and Covenant? David bombs the Engineers the moment they arrive.

David bombs a single city. Think of it like Independence Day with David as the Aliens. The indigenous lifeforms don't immediately die as David is able to do all those experiments with the wasps and other fauna. He also has a full Engineers body to dissect and use as a prop. If they were all wiped out and burned up by the black goo explosion, how'd he get a full one? There's plenty of scope to fill up the time.

Also think of what we see: David's ship docks with the big hook thing, he airbursts the goo and the next time we see the ship, it's crashed into a mountain. Did the Engineers try and take him out? What went wrong? Was there a contamination on the ship etc. etc.

Plenty of room for imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

Fassbender doing both David and his character from Frank was of course the highlight, because everyone else exists to be murdered.

Future movies should introduce more Fassbender synths based on his other roles. There's a sexbot one that needs to gently caress constantly, there's one pretending to work for Nazis Weyland-Yutani, one that keeps quoting Jung, and a worker model with magnetic powers.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

henpod posted:

One of the complaints that people have, is one that I think is being misinterpreted.

I don't think it was supposed to be a grand reveal that David switched himself with Walter. It's quite clear that he is not constrained by programming the same way as Walter, which is demonstrated when Walter fails to kill him and David just looks at him, knowingly. I just don't think it's supposed to be such a huge shock. If they had done that earlier, it would have been a lot more interesting to watch and guess as the film unfolds.

However, I am likely wrong as a lot of stupid choices were made for this movie.

It was so obvious, that I thought maybe they're intentionally making us think it's David when it's actually a traumatized Walter, because that would be the greater twist. And it worked for me, building tension and all.

nexus6 posted:

Also, why does David even have hair that grows? Shouldn't it just be realistic wig or some GI Joe stuff? Or is he living tissue over metal endoskeleton so he can be a better infiltration unit?

Sort of? We see David made at the start. They pour robot goo over a skeletal frame, so I'm guessing the goo is a smart-flesh compound. The end result is a flesh-bot with living skin and hair kind of like the replicants from Westworld and Battlestar Galactica, or Arnie's skins. Oh god, I forgot Blade Runner. It could be literal Blade Runner tech, cross universe.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 19, 2017

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The David/Walter switch twist was really, really easy to see coming, but after spending all of the third act waiting for the other shoe to drop, the moment that David reveals himself to the heroine just before her stasis pod puts her to sleep is perfect.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Well Manicured Man posted:

The David/Walter switch twist was really, really easy to see coming, but after spending all of the third act waiting for the other shoe to drop, the moment that David reveals himself to the heroine just before her stasis pod puts her to sleep is perfect.

I really do love the ending. The twist reveal and David has literally thousands of humans to conduct his experiments with is just really chilling.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How did he make those tiny face huggers? How did he get a full face hugger onboard? In his bum?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it was one of the very few times in the film that i felt scared for waterson. really wish she got to do more in the film, aside from being sad, scared and angry as the plot demanded, but drat if she didnt convey total doom in those last minutes

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Jose Oquendo posted:

I really do love the ending. The twist reveal and David has literally thousands of humans to conduct his experiments with is just really chilling.

I think A:C is proof enough that as long as you handle the reveal well enough, you can have the most predictable twist ending in the world and still avoid having the audience roll their eyes and say, "Well, I saw that coming a mile away."

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Shaocaholica posted:

How did he make those tiny face huggers? How did he get a full face hugger onboard? In his bum?

He bred them small, I guess. Which full face-hugger do you mean?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The David/Walter switch twist was really, really easy to see coming

That was the entire point. There is a camera shot that literally is intended to give this away.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

The one dude had a facehugger implant something into him before it was removed. If you notice, the whole procedure seems to be accelerated in this movie. But for some reason with him it took a whole action sequence and getting onto the covenant to be sedated for the xeno to burst.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Krazyface posted:

He bred them small, I guess. Which full face-hugger do you mean?

They're clearly bonsai facehuggers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Those tiny ones are developing embryos in stasis similar to the human ones on the ship.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

The one dude had a facehugger implant something into him before it was removed. If you notice, the whole procedure seems to be accelerated in this movie. But for some reason with him it took a whole action sequence and getting onto the covenant to be sedated for the xeno to burst.

They even show the face hugger's ovipositor wiggling around after they remove it implying it impregnated him

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Shaocaholica posted:

Well Daniels was asleep for 8 hours, so he had buckets of time to wander around the ship and do his poo poo. We also know that there were two embryo's missing from the drawer so he had room to put the other ones back. It's likely he either genetically manipulated the embryos and black-goo-accelerated them to facehugger stage, or did some other genetic jiggery-pokery with them using the embryo genetic stuff they had on board the ship. Or he had two "here's ones I prepared earlier" facehuggers secreted about his person from his lab.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That actually reminds me, any idea what Walter was doing with that embryo in the very beginning?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Jose Oquendo posted:

That actually reminds me, any idea what Walter was doing with that embryo in the very beginning?

Pretty sure he was removing ones that shown signs of damage or deformities.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It was this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Oh wow I didn't notice. Guess I'll have to rewatch it :v:

I was expecting something way more sinister.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 19, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
David's gotta invent time travel to:

Make the Queen so they can make the mural from Prometheus,

Fill a thousands year old ship full of alien eggs and crash it and infect the thousands year dead Space Jockey

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The mural is a deacon, not a Xenomorph.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
We saw a half "perfect" Xenomorph at the end of Prometheus, I think it's safe to say that David isn't the only source for that particular form.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
IMO it works better if David didn't create the aliens and if they stumbled upon an ancient dead city rather than David using chemical weapons on it.

The aliens as a natural phenomenon is better and doesn't break spacetime.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a hot take:

David didn't create the xenomorphs at all. The Engineers tried to engineer this species and use it as a tool or weapon that, as we see in like every movie, cannot be controlled. Every iteration of the xeno we see is imperfect, still restrained by Engineer tampering and with each successive generation they become more pure.

The Alien in Alien and Aliens are the natural, perfect form.

I think its cool this way because we get a person obsessed with creation getting hosed by the forces of nature in a duality. David even thinks he can control the xenos.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 19, 2017

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

David is definitely going to be done in by the Aliens at some point, the only question is whether it will be willingly or not

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Phi230 posted:

IMO it works better if David didn't create the aliens and if they stumbled upon an ancient dead city rather than David using chemical weapons on it.

The aliens as a natural phenomenon is better and doesn't break spacetime.

I honestly really like the idea that humanity created a machine so immoral that it itself created a being that is essentially destruction made physical. There's a real good dramatic irony there, even if it does remove any sense of mystery.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone else think they were having a bit of fun with the open credits? "play some music" is heard when we get the "music by" credit, "my life story..." over edited by, talk about where we come from starts as soon as the producer credits start. I dunno. I was super baked when that movie started.

Also, I really love the overall theme of the faith in this movie. the main woman has doubts about Walter/Adam, even glances at his mangled hand to confirm which he was, but her faith in him allowed her to trust him completely and unquestionably. Made the final scenes where their paths are literally being guided by David even more tense.

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Here's a hot take:

David didn't create the xenomorphs at all. The Engineers tried to engineer this species and use it as a tool or weapon that, as we see in like every movie, cannot be controlled. Every iteration of the xeno we see is imperfect, still restrained by Engineer tampering and with each successive generation they become more pure.

The Alien in Alien and Aliens are the natural, perfect form.

I think its cool this way because we get a person obsessed with creation getting hosed by the forces of nature in a duality. David even thinks he can control the xenos.

I vaguely remember there being those Engineer style cave drawings of the xenomorph's in Prometheus so I'm wondering if their excuse is going to be that the Engineers created them but somehow managed to get rid of them, David found out, and then experimented his way into recreating them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
To me this really feels like Scott rehashing PROMETHEUS and trying to make it more palatable by wrapping it around a 'better' ALIEN movie. It doesn't so much as expand on the themes of that movie as it does double down on them, to varying degrees of success. It kind of lacks the ambition of that though, and I really feel like some of the writing they attributed to Lindelof (Particularly about stupid characters) can now be attributed to Scott. The scene where Crudrup goes from investigating his colleague's death, to seeing David with the alien, to allowing himself to be led to a secret basement while David is monologuing about how he's genetically engineered these things to looking into one of them after being told it was 'safe' is possibly the dumbest thing a character has ever done.

It's also wonderfully weird in parts. When David is teaching Walter to play the flute it was kind of mesmerising. One review called it a mix of ALIEN, PROMETHEUS and some of the nihilism of ALIEN 3 and that sounds about right. I'm just not really sure where they go from here beyond more of 'David is a bad God' sort of thing before he inevitably suffers the same fate as the Engineers did and they ROGUE ONE themselves right into ALIEN.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 19, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I loved this movie :)

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

To me this really feels like Scott rehashing PROMETHEUS and trying to make it more palatable by wrapping it around a 'better' ALIEN movie. It doesn't so much as expand on the themes of that movie as it does double down on them, to varying degrees of success. It kind of lacks the ambition of that though, and I really feel like some of the writing they attributed to Lindelof (Particularly about stupid characters) can now be attributed to Scott. The scene where Crudrup goes from investigating his colleague's death, to seeing David with the alien, to allowing himself to be led to a secret basement while David is monologuing about how he's genetically engineered these things to looking into one of them after being told it was 'safe' is possibly the dumbest thing a character has ever done.

It's also wonderfully weird in parts. When David is teaching Walter to play the flute it was kind of mesmerising. One review called it a mix of ALIEN, PROMETHEUS and some of the nihilism of ALIEN 3 and that sounds about right. I'm just not really sure where they go from here beyond more of 'David is a bad God' sort of thing before he inevitably suffers the same fate as the Engineers did and they ROGUE ONE themselves right into ALIEN.

I saw a lot of praise for Crudup's character and, while I admit he wasn't given a whole lot to work with, I thought he was loving awful. Most of the side characters were Xeno-fodder anyway but I was actively cheering for him to get chest-burstered.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

nexus6 posted:

Also, why does David even have hair that grows? Shouldn't it just be realistic wig or some GI Joe stuff? Or is he living tissue over metal endoskeleton so he can be a better infiltration unit?

I'd like to believe that it's canon that David, Walter, and all the other androids in his line have rapidly growing hair and are constantly giving themselves haircuts.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xmaspast posted:

I vaguely remember there being those Engineer style cave drawings of the xenomorph's in Prometheus so I'm wondering if their excuse is going to be that the Engineers created them but somehow managed to get rid of them, David found out, and then experimented his way into recreating them.

I'm confused about these comments of the alien mural in Prometheus when Prometheus ended with an alien-like creature coming out of the engineer.

I thought that was all self-explanatory.

- Black goo in its purest form breaks down organisms (which can be then used to seed life)
- Variations of the black goo (perhaps weaponized) works like ninja turtles mutagen. This mutagen makes organic life xenomorphic - it gave the worms acid blood and made Fiefeld pretty alien-like (especially in the original version).
- Combining the goo with reproductive organs warps the reproduction cycle. It creates a face hugger like organism that will implant an egg into a creature, that will then birth a xenomorph type creature.

So, David, kept loving around with this cycle until he created what he thought was the perfect version of the end creature, which was the xenomorph as we know it. Which ties in well to Alien, as Ash also recognized the xenomorph as "perfect."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like that androids regard the alien as the perfect organism.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Ridley Scott should probably retire. He's no George Miller.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why did they use the term 'Covenant' in the title anyway? I get the ship is called Covenant but they specifically say the 'company' doesn't like religion so why name the ship that? And while its not a purely religious term it's end up being that way in practice.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darko posted:

So, David, kept loving around with this cycle until he created what he thought was the perfect version of the end creature, which was the xenomorph as we know it. Which ties in well to Alien, as Ash also recognized the xenomorph as "perfect."

But the creature that we know from Alien and Aliens look pretty different, they're more in-line with Giger's biomechanical art while the Xeno we see in A:C looks more organic so I don't think they're at the stage that Alien introduced yet. I'm excited to see how they get there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The first thing my buddy complained about after we left the theater was that we didn't get to see an alien queen.

I was like bro, did you not see David regurgitating the embryos like the queen does from her sac
?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Shaocaholica posted:

Why did they use the term 'Covenant' in the title anyway? I get the ship is called Covenant but they specifically say the 'company' doesn't like religion so why name the ship that? And while its not a purely religious term it's end up being that way in practice.

It's going to the Promised Land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't know, it turns out that Billy Crudup's character is a moron, so it's probable that he's so dumb that he thinks the reason people don't like him is because he is religious.