Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Myron Baloney posted:

My kids went on a school trip to Spain and brought back a bunch of cans of "El Viejo Pescador" sardines, I was so proud of them. Haven't cracked one open yet.

You trained your progeny well; canned fish from Spain owns bones. Did they also bring you boquerones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Tonight this 'dine lover fried up some smelts for the first time. They were crunchy and delicious, and healthy and sustainable too!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Not 'dines but dadly dinner

Pickled Planet spicy beans and chicken liver pate spread over toasted multigrain English muffins. Large plate because it's the last clean plate while dishwasher runs. The beans are spicier than I was expecting but that means I'll have a flavorful brine for whatever meat I pick up his weekend.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Looks really good. I grabbed some chicken livers to make pate but I'm going to have to wait until I finish off the lamb ham I made.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Okay, now you piqued my interest.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

Okay, now you piqued my interest.

This article is has a nice overview and I used the recipe at the end. It's not for the dry cured kind. I used thyme instead of rosemary because I loving hate rosemary. I also pulled it out of the smoker at 144 because the last time I cooked lamb to 150 I thought it was overdone. If you wanted to you could put some sugar in the rub and make a barbecue style bark crust but it's already pretty sweet from the sugar in the brine. It's so, so good.

Some pics from my crappy phone camera.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 23, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Not 'dines but dadly dinner

Pickled Planet spicy beans and chicken liver pate spread over toasted multigrain English muffins. Large plate because it's the last clean plate while dishwasher runs. The beans are spicier than I was expecting but that means I'll have a flavorful brine for whatever meat I pick up his weekend.

For whatever reason my mom always had the dadly tastes in the family, maybe because she's old as poo poo (60), but that still doesn't excuse my 66 year old dad's bland tastes.

Either way, I know this is a meal both she and I would love, so I think I'm set for Mother's Day!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Snowmankilla posted:

Agreed. I miss sheep goats. Please come back... we miss you and your ideas.

I appreciate the sentiment but I post on skullmund most of the time now because my friends are there and I don't have to worry about getting a probation for posting jokes and honestly its as active as GBS is now.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

I appreciate the sentiment but I post on skullmund most of the time now because my friends are there and I don't have to worry about getting a probation for posting jokes and honestly its as active as GBS is now.

I am still in your debt for this thread.

LingcodKilla posted:

Something arrived in the mail.

This is good

theres a will theres moe posted:

If you ever see California Garden tripoli style Tuna

buy that poo poo. This is the most delicious fish in a can I've ever tasted. I don't care if I get mercury poisoning, I'm eating it on toast every other meal for the rest of my life.
Found it at a med/palestinian market. The other flavors are also really good but the tripoli style is like :drat:

thank you for your recommendation.

Also any :ca: goons remember that fish place in Sacramento that is suppose to have amazing selection?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I believe I suggested Seafood City for having a good selection. Bonus points for their cafe serving some pretty good Filipino food.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I believe I suggested Seafood City for having a good selection. Bonus points for their cafe serving some pretty good Filipino food.

loving awesome!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Sheep-Goats posted:

:bigtran: love ❤️ you

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Glad to see people are exploring more 'dine consumption.

Bought from the local bodega & eaten with the morning's eggs & kasha. Kinda sweet for my liking.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Glad to see people are exploring more 'dine consumption.

Bought from the local bodega & eaten with the morning's eggs & kasha. Kinda sweet for my liking.

I bought some of these the other day and they weren't as spicy as I'd hoped (I agree they're quite sweet), but I think using them for pasta and reducing the sauce would be good :)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

quote 👏 is 👏 not 👏 edit 👏

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Herr Tog posted:

loving awesome!

Almost any big Asian market in CA will have an amazing sea food department. Seen some really whackyk stuff at them.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This so-called premium tuna filet in a can is not worth the penny.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I tried Beach Cliff sardines in mustard yesterday and god drat they are boring.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Storm took our power as soon as I got home, so what's for dinner? Tiny tots on saltines, some with mustard or sriracha. Even by flashlight a happy dinner.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I tried Beach Cliff sardines in mustard yesterday and god drat they are boring.

I have heard some people defend Beach Cliff but I don't know why you'd get them unless it's the only option available.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I have heard some people defend Beach Cliff but I don't know why you'd get them unless it's the only option available.

They're the best ratio of super cheap to quite palatable

they're half a good as KO'd but they're 1/3 the price

Only the mustard ones are any good imho

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Some of my students are doing a study abroad program in Spain this summer, and I told them I would pay handsomely for any cool canned seafood they find in Spanish grocery stores that you can't get here. I know in Europe, they have entire aisles devoted to it, with even more exciting options than typical 'dines.

Do any of you have any recommendations for branching out, especially if you're familiar with any European brands? I'm hoping for shellfish or unfamiliar fish.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Secret Santa brought me a couple tins of these last christmas:

Pretty drat good, a bit chewy with light shellfishy flavor. Put 'em on a cracker with a little lemon and a dab of hot stuff, ooh yeah.

I'm making a pilgrimage to Seafood City tomorrow, gonna load up on cans and see what fresh fishes look good for grillin' this weekend :getin:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I just tried a tin of Trader Joe's smoked trout. Delicious! They're lightly smoked, not like a kipper, so more of the great trout flavor comes through. The meat is substantial enough to stand up to cheese and crackers; it reminds me of crab meat to be honest.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Just had my first tin of skippers/brisling (the tiny fishes of which this thread is so fond cannot be sold here as sardines, for any UK goons who have been wondering). They're not terribly common here, so I just picked up a few of the Big Name brand, John West. I didn't take any pictures, just popped them on some toast with a little salt and pepper for breakfast.

Very enjoyable, the flavour is a little more delicate than a pilchard and the texture was lovely. I can certainly see that they'd be a lot more convenient for cracker consumption than the larger fish. I'll probably take a picture or two when I open my next tin - fish size varied quite a bit so I'd like to compare them to other brands.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zeluth posted:

This so-called premium tuna filet in a can is not worth the penny.

If you really have to eat Tuna (which you probably shouldn't most of the time because it's overfished to hell) don't buy it tinned. It's a sorry waste of amazing fish.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I don't know if y'all have been looking in Asian grocery stores for sardines, but I went to Fubonn in Portland a couple weeks ago and there were dozens of novel canned seafoods.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
'Sup, fellow Oregoon! Fubonn is a couple blocks from my place & is my go-to Asian grocery store that I'd go to. Up the street is Hong Phat, and their selection is smaller but has interesting choices.

Bonus: Hong Phat has balut.

Latest haul from them:

I'm excited for the Century 'dines because those are Filipino fishes. The crab & prawns were bought on a whim, so who knows what they taste like? Bangus is also known as milkfish & my mom would fry up those fatty fishies, so I'm interested in how they taste like when canned.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Next time I'm up in Portland I am definitely stopping by Hong Phat and Fubonn. The Asian markets here are pretty lacking in selection.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
The Asian Food Center in the plaza next to Beaverton transit station has a pretty big selection of canned seafood. It also seems like a decent store in general, I like it better than Uwajimaya, but I'm fairly new to the area so I haven't seen what else there is.

Since tiny tots are pricey here, I always check when I go to a new-to-me grocery store. Rosauers was having a dine sale.

:(
(After taking the photo I found 2 cans way in the back shoved behind the other brands :woop: ) Also picked up a bunch of chicken of the sea because for $.50 a can they are decent firm fishies, just need some doctoring up.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
drat, nice find! What's the name of this establishment? I may head over when I'm on the west side to check this out.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
loving weird.

For the first time in my life for no discernable reason I bought sardines in a can in oil and scarfed that poo poo down. Loved it.

Then I come to GBS of all places and what the poo poo is a thread about loving sardines doing here.

Also we're all Oregoons too apparently. Jesus loving christ they put something in the goddamn water and its turning the us and sardines all gay.

Come join the Oregoons thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032517

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

drat, nice find! What's the name of this establishment? I may head over when I'm on the west side to check this out.

It's actually in Hood River, called Rosauers. Apparently it's a chain in WA, this might be their only OR store.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Roki B posted:

loving weird.

For the first time in my life for no discernable reason I bought sardines in a can in oil and scarfed that poo poo down. Loved it.

Then I come to GBS of all places and what the poo poo is a thread about loving sardines doing here.

Also we're all Oregoons too apparently. Jesus loving christ they put something in the goddamn water and its turning the us and sardines all gay.

Come join the Oregoons thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032517

I'm not from Oregon but I love sardines with all my heart so I'll join the thread

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Tried some sherried lobster pate on toast with some greens today and that poo poo was gross. Came in a little blue can. Tasted like raw sherry mostly. Raw sherry and an indelicate shellfish flavor. I spit it out and went out for lunch instead.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Next time get fish instead of bugs. Bugs are best eaten fresh.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

'Sup, fellow Oregoon! Fubonn is a couple blocks from my place & is my go-to Asian grocery store that I'd go to...

I've been eating hella pig hearts and pig tongues lately, fubonn's meat selection is dank af. 2.39/lb for hearts and 3.29/lb for tongues is a super good price compared to meat sold to white people. I made soup w Tom ka seasoning and named it Tongue Ka.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I dig that. I get salmon collars for hella cheap and make a pretty decent broth with it.

Kinda related: I went to Lincoln City for a friend's birthday & picked up some smoked oysters (not canned). What can I do with these?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

I dig that. I get salmon collars for hella cheap and make a pretty decent broth with it.

Kinda related: I went to Lincoln City for a friend's birthday & picked up some smoked oysters (not canned). What can I do with these?

If youre like me and my dad, saltines with good aged cheddar and some hot sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
every so often I think about how badass it is that I can pop a tin of sardines and consume two dozen once living creatures as a snack