Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Dave Chappeles Transphobic Netflix Standup and Forums Rewrite Discussion Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I went to see norm MacDonald live last month and he started out with jokes about how homophobes are closet gays, which is old hat but he delivered it well, then segued into 20 min of "Caitlyn jenner cut her dick off" jokes. I couldn't even tell if the rest of his set was funny because I was just out of the mood. Audience loved it all of course :shrug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I went to see norm MacDonald live last month and he started out with jokes about how homophobes are closet gays, which is old hat but he delivered it well, then segued into 20 min of "Caitlyn jenner cut her dick off" jokes. I couldn't even tell if the rest of his set was funny because I was just out of the mood. Audience loved it all of course :shrug:

The raucous laughter is the worst part of jokes like that. We have so far to go :sigh:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

That sucks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I love Norm but

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
ill be relieved when you guys get the gently caress over yourselves chappelles new standup was good

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

med school head posted:

ill be relieved when you guys get the gently caress over yourselves chappelles new standup was good

I believe you will find you are living in a bubble

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
How is the forums rewrite going?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVbhxUG0KL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh7ZL3twAcs

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Hogge Wild posted:

Like Dave Chapelle's views on sexuality, it's production ready and at least 50% done.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hogge Wild posted:

Not as well as Dave chapelle's comeback. He's really good

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

cis autodrag posted:

i cant wait to see what type of poo poo makes me illiberal when im in my 50s. c'mon mom, society is totally accepting of marriages between people and corporations now. get with the times.

I think about that question as well and came up with a theory that we will be able to clone/3d print meat or whatever, and the kids in 20xx will be like so people were okay with murdering animals everyday? Another would be something in identity. But idk.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it's going to be computers. they're going to be haraam and the people who used them seen as disgusting, and not before time imo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

it's going to be computers. they're going to be haraam and the people who used them seen as disgusting, and not before time imo

inshallah

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nude posted:

I think about that question as well and came up with a theory that we will be able to clone/3d print meat or whatever, and the kids in 20xx will be like so people were okay with murdering animals everyday? Another would be something in identity. But idk.

Repo Man posted:

Unfortunately, this isn't a hoax:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

that reminds me of a genuine, legitimate article i saw in a medical journal where they discuss a revolutionary new numerical methods for calculating patient doses or something

it turns out to be integration

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol here it is:
A Mathematical Model for the Determination of Total Area Under Glucose Tolerance and Other Metabolic Curves

Abstract

OBJECTIVE To develop a mathematical model for the determination of total areas under curves from various metabolic studies.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS In Tai's Model, the total area under a curve is computed by dividing the area under the curve between two designated values on the X-axis (abscissas) into small segments (rectangles and triangles) whose areas can be accurately calculated from their respective geometrical formulas. The total sum of these individual areas thus represents the total area under the curve. Validity of the model is established by comparing total areas obtained from this model to these same areas obtained from graphic method Gess than ±0.4%). Other formulas widely applied by researchers under- or overestimated total area under a metabolic curve by a great margin.

RESULTS Tai's model proves to be able to 1) determine total area under a curve with precision; 2) calculate area with varied shapes that may or may not intercept on one or both X/Y axes; 3) estimate total area under a curve plotted against varied time intervals (abscissas), whereas other formulas only allow the same time interval; and 4) compare total areas of metabolic curves produced by different studies.

CONCLUSIONS The Tai model allows flexibility in experimental conditions, which means, in the case of the glucose-response curve, samples can be taken with differing time intervals and total area under the curve can still be determined with precision.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

area under a curve: a great unsolved mathematical problem

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tai's Model

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
something awful llc was just purchased by reddit

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

conde nasty

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
good. it's about time these forums moved to a modern social media platform

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

how the gently caress did this pass any sort of review

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

double ohm seven posted:

Linguica posted:

conde nasty

guess Teen Vogue will get a new forum soon

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

double ohm seven posted:

is this real

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

is this real

yes my bans are being subsidised

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

is this real

ya, a pretty sweet deal for $5k

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

redleader posted:

how the gently caress did this pass any sort of review

doctors aren't real scientists. reminder that they stole the white lab coat from science in order to try and boost their reputation (before like the 30s they wore dark colors so the blood wouldn't show)

i will never forget a night when my dad was reading one of his doctor magazines and threw it down in disgust and i asked why and he pointed at an article. the article was a meta-review of physicians' self-reported happiness/job satisfaction scores, plotted against their pay and the number of hours worked.

it turned out that the happiest doctors were the ones who worked the least and were paid the most!!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Sagebrush posted:

doctors aren't real scientists. reminder that they stole the white lab coat from science in order to try and boost their reputation (before like the 30s they wore dark colors so the blood wouldn't show)

people that deserve the respect accorded to scientists:

-scientists (physical and life sciences)

people who are most assuredly Not Scientists and whose opinions on anything 1 millimeter outside their daily job duties are almost invariably useless:

-doctors
-lawyers
-engineers
-police (no, your "professional opinion" about crime rates is useless)
-polling administrators
-social media trends analysts
-marketers
-TED talk-givers
-anyone not carefully quantifying the margin of uncertainty in their work and also freely admitting and pointing out any areas where they were forced to make assumptions, as well as justifications for every single assumption they made

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Uncle Enzo posted:

people who are most assuredly Not Scientists and whose opinions on anything 1 millimeter outside their daily job duties are almost invariably useless:

-doctors
-lawyers
-engineers
-polling administrators
-marketers
-TED talk-givers
-anyone not carefully quantifying the margin of uncertainty in their work and also freely admitting and pointing out any areas where they were forced to make assumptions, as well as justifications for every single assumption they made

-smokadustbowl

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you forgot economists in the first list tia for fixing it

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

-smokadustbowl

:wrong:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

pram posted:

you forgot economists in the first list tia for fixing it

poo poo i knew there was a group of science-imposters I'd forgotten

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I'm a human and I GOT HOT BLOOD RUNNING THROUGH MY VEINS AND I LIKE TO EAT AND FIGHT GOBLINS

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my left shift key keeps sticking and I'm going to run with it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm a human and I GOT HOT BLOOD RUNNING THROUGH MY VEINS AND I LIKE TO EAT AND FIGHT GOBLINS

did you watch the joe rogan 9/11 show yet?

i think alex forgot he was on camera or realized his audience never sees him but the part where he smokes a tiny bit of weed and gets insaner than usual is basically how i see myself

he also had a couple shots of whiskey

it's almost like the batshit is coming from inside himself

i *cough* never smoked that highly potent illegal drug

*winks at camera he shouldn't remember is there because he's so loving confused*

and it's the wrong camera

*winks at microphones*

queue joe telling him that he's constantly loving up his mic levels because he can't even comprehend microphone technology

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

did you watch the joe rogan 9/11 show yet?

i think alex forgot he was on camera or realized his audience never sees him but the part where he smokes a tiny bit of weed and gets insaner than usual is basically how i see myself

he also had a couple shots of whiskey

it's almost like the batshit is coming from inside himself

i *cough* never smoked that highly potent illegal drug

*winks at camera he shouldn't remember is there because he's so loving confused*

and it's the wrong camera

*winks at microphones*

queue joe telling him that he's constantly loving up his mic levels because he can't even comprehend microphone technology

stop posting

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

A Pinball Wizard posted:

caitlyn jenner is terrible hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

-doctors
-lawyers
-engineers
-polling administrators
-marketers
-TED talk-givers

:goonsay:

• Locked thread