Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

OK, so I went looking online for how to fuse Alice, and in the site that I found had what I can only assume to be spoilers right in the basic description of what Alice can do. Right now I am in the 6th Palace, and the spoiler said something like that Alice is a good persona for "dealing" with Akechi, and something about her being good to fight Akechi with. Now I had already assumed Akechi was going to be the traitor and that you might have to fight him. So with that speculation of mine in mind, how big of a spoiler is this for me?

Not very big at all, that's really heavily foreshadowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

OK, so I went looking online for how to fuse Alice, and in the site that I found had what I can only assume to be spoilers right in the basic description of what Alice can do. Right now I am in the 6th Palace, and the spoiler said something like that Alice is a good persona for "dealing" with Akechi, and something about her being good to fight Akechi with. Now I had already assumed Akechi was going to be the traitor and that you might have to fight him. So with that speculation of mine in mind, how big of a spoiler is this for me?

Everyone knows from day 1.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'll just have to take everyone's word for it that it's not a big deal and not worry about it. Predictable or no, it is still a little annoying it happened but I guess as long as it's not a big spoiler like the identity of the final boss it's fine.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's not the final boss and that reveal isn't even meant to be big.

If it helps, that was like the first thing I got spoiled on in this game back in like November '16 and i still like this game a lot

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Not too big.

Just play normally.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
When you see what the actual twist is, it'll make sense why this is no big deal. Just keep plugging away.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sell your PS4 and become a luddite, never using electricity ever again in your life. It's that spoiled.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
That last Mementos request boss sure is a giant penis

Not sure what I expected but it definitely wasn't that.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

sulley posted:

That last Mementos request boss sure is a giant penis

Not sure what I expected but it definitely wasn't that.

At least he's incredibly easy. He tries to buff himself above all else so as long as you keep debuffing his attack power he'll do nothing but try to get it back up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Well, it sounds like you're like most people and called that "twist" way in advance, so it's not a spoiler at all if you were expecting it.

Hell, [Palace 6+ spoilers] I thought Akechi-kun being the traitor was too obvious and that the game wouldn't possibly be that predictable, so I was surprised on that front. I spent all of Palace 6 stressing about who among my party other than Akechi would turn traitor because, frankly, I never considered Akechi as a party member. He had "guest character" written all over him.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

AG3 posted:

At least he's incredibly easy. He tries to buff himself above all else so as long as you keep debuffing his attack power he'll do nothing but try to get it back up.

Lmao

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AG3 posted:

You forgot the attack it uses after it successfully manages to do all that.

It's Lunge

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is he still weak to piercing damage?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rangpur posted:

Is he still weak to piercing damage?

No, ice :D

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Count Bleck posted:

You forgot the attack it uses after it successfully manages to do all that.

It's Lunge

I've never even seen it because I used Ann to keep him from getting his raise to stick.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sounds like some pretty limp boss design.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I'm so glad they made Mara's entire moveset, battle tactics, and weakness part of the 'penis monster' joke.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

dragon_pamcake posted:

I'm so glad they made Mara's entire moveset, battle tactics, and weakness part of the 'penis monster' joke.

Don't forget his Arcana. It's The Tower.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Mara's great because it's easy to take him to many logical conclusions. Like, in 2015 or so I made an SMT tabletop thing, ran 1 campaign with it and have been working on fixing it and making it better since it finished. Mara was in it, and I gave him Power Charge, Hell Thrust, Pierce and +Charm because hello, it's Mara.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
how am i doing for social skills at this point in the game: i'm at palace 3 and i'm rank 3 in guts, knowledge & charm. i'm rank 2 in kindness & proficiency

anything i should be focusing on so i dont get locked out of confidant quests later on?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

how am i doing for social skills at this point in the game: i'm at palace 3 and i'm rank 3 in guts, knowledge & charm. i'm rank 2 in kindness & proficiency

anything i should be focusing on so i dont get locked out of confidant quests later on?

All social stats need to be maxed for some confidant or another - for party members, you need max Charm and Proficiency, and Rank 4 Kindness. Coffee Dad needs max Kindness, Iwai needs Rank 4 Guts to start and max Guts to complete. I don't think you've met the character who needs max Knowledge yet. I think you're pretty well on track though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

It depends a bit what your goals are. There are 5 confidants in the game that can't be completed until their associated social skill is maxed out, so if you want to not be locked out of confidant quests you'll need to max them all eventually.

Early on the most important confidants to focus on are Sun (to get lots of money and also because he's the best), Death (to buy the overpowered accessory that lets you complete palaces in a single day), Temperance (to grant you bonus time slots), and Fortune (to grant confidant affinity points without spending a time slot). Apart from these, building your party member confidants will make a big difference since the abilities granted in battle are pretty useful.

Also keep in mind the Sojiro confidant is partially plot locked and cannot be completed until you've finished palace 4.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Yeah, as long as you just keep at raising your stats every so often you'll do fine. Remember to Take Your Time and enjoy the sights.

Dragonatrix posted:

Mara's great because it's easy to take him to many logical conclusions. Like, in 2015 or so I made an SMT tabletop thing, ran 1 campaign with it and have been working on fixing it and making it better since it finished. Mara was in it, and I gave him Power Charge, Hell Thrust, Pierce and +Charm because hello, it's Mara.

This sounds like a great idea, how did it play?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Coughing Hobo posted:

When you see what the actual twist is, it'll make sense why this is no big deal. Just keep plugging away.

I'll say this to anyone, but Akechi being the traitor isn't the spoiler. The spoiler is how things continue: that everything looks like you lost and then it turns out you really won and now have your final real target.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Every social stat is required at max rank at some point to advance at least one confidant. The harshest block is probably the max proficiency requirement to even get past rank 1 in the (late-game) Empress line.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Focus on knowledge somewhat, there's a link that requires lots. It's a night link and one of the best.

Party members matter too, the one you just got in palace 3 needs lv.3 knowledge to start, and max charm halfway in.

Sojiro as mentioned is plot locked for a while, and you need max kindness halfway through. You get the best coffee immediately after that point.

I'd say kindness is the most important stat, followed by either knowledge or charm.

The last party member needs max proficiency to even start, but it's quite a bit later and it levels up extremely fast (same as mitsuru did in P3)

Edit: also you can get different fertilizer for your houseplant at different places, the best stuff is in the red light district I think. Periodically check on the plant and give it the goods for some bonus kindness.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 19, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Earning exactly 100000 extra yen for unexpected expenses. This is the most important thing you can do coming out of palace 3.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Incidentally, this is also around the time you can probably fuse a high luck Persona with Pulinpa & Confuse Boost and start shaking down the bosses in Mementos for about 25,000 yen/turn. That's probably not a coincidence, is what I'm saying.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

thelazyblank posted:

I'll say this to anyone, but Akechi being the traitor isn't the spoiler. The spoiler is how things continue: that everything looks like you lost and then it turns out you really won and now have your final real target.

"Information hidden to the narrative perspective is key to the protagonist's success" seems like a super common genre trick for thief picaresque though? I think what is unique about it is how big a role the story framing is given.

Which is fine with me, because making fun of Sae's behavior will never get old.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Even if you don't confuse bosses, you can get a mountain of money out of shadows with the first few ranks of the Sun confidant. I sold the DLC Soma for my first SP Sticker, and just spent a while in Mementos stealing everybody's lunch money. Now I'm almost done with November and have more money than I know what to do with, short of fusing too-high-level Personas I don't need.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've almost given up on getting the 250 Futaba lines trophy, I missed a bunch of lines that the Palace 6 guest character could have given, I'm a high enough level that every ambush is the auto-win, and everybody keeps dodging stuff that would otherwise be a crit. Is there an easy way to, uh, "farm" lines? Should I just mill about mementos swapping people out?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Archyduke posted:

Is there an easy way to, uh, "farm" lines? Should I just mill about mementos swapping people out?

Two things that may help you out:

Items that heal hp but lower defense/attack/evade etc will trigger unique lines from Futaba when used on your party, things like "Queen's defense is low! Be careful!" - this is an easy way to get a quick 10-30 lines that you may be missing.

The very final encounter of the game has a large number of unique lines from Futaba based on the mechanics of the fight, many people report getting the trophy at that point even without having tried for it. I'd just make a save right before the end and see if it pops for you, if not you can also farm party member lines for despair/shock/fear from the trash mobs in the final area.

Good luck!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Just sent the calling card for the 5th Palace. I pondered messing around trying to max out Proficiency first (I'm at 4 in all stats, plus whatever completing the Big Bang challenge gives you), but ultimately decided against it. I have plenty of other Confidants to work on in the meantime. I just wish one of them gave a Proficiency bonus in the meantime. (Also completed Moon so I could stop worrying about keeping everyone leveled evenly.)

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 19, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

You're doing better than I was.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hanged Man gives you Proficiency for most rank ups.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Does it really? Make sense, but I thought it was Guts for some reason. Good to know. Don't see much use in customization though. The only thing I care about is accuracy, and I've yet to see any options that increases it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The good gun poo poo comes from the Tower confidant, but the actual link isn't anywhere near as good as Uncle Gun, The Mafia Man

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

You can use the fortune think and set the rest of the day to +proficiency, and make some tools at night, but yeah there's so much more you can do with your time.

I used Noir a lot so I put in the time. Still barely got to 10. She levels insanely quick once you start though.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 19, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hanged gives you Proficiency, Devil gives you Charm, Tower gives you Kindness. Death gives you some Guts and Star gives you Knowledge but it's not as much as the other three. Keep that in mind if you have to choose between grinding stats or confidants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Loved P3 and 4, getting 5 tonight. I'm making a good decision right?