Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

qirex posted:

There's software to automate this, Rekord Buddy if you're on a Mac, I think there's similar Windows software floating around. If you don't have many cue points and stuff it might not be worth $60 though.

There used to be a free Native Instruments utility to do that very thing. I seem to remember it was in their forums.

edit: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=12266

The download links still work.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

TheWevel posted:

There used to be a free Native Instruments utility to do that very thing. I seem to remember it was in their forums.

edit: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=12266

The download links still work.

Thanks, this is super helpful! Will be nice to jump straight into Traktor without re-doing all my cue points :)

I may have to make the transition sooner than I thought, too -- my poor VCI-300 can't connect to Serato on my Mac anymore, and I've no idea why. Works fine on Windows on my desktop, but that's not so useful for playing out.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
So I had my first ever "gig" this last weekend for my friend's parents' 50th birthday party. I downloaded a ton of music so I had a good library of stuff. I was definitely a little nervous since playing Top-40 and Older Hits is not my comfort zone (usually do house music) but it ended up being a lot of fun. I had two major fuckups but I was able to kinda play them off pretty quickly on the fly and most didn't notice or forgot after 5 seconds. I got a LOT of compliments on my song selection which I was happy about because I put a ton of time into organizing a great blend of newer and older dance hits. I started off relatively slow (about 80bpm) and worked my way up to 128 which is where I have things down. At that point I felt like I was in a zone and decided to change up the rest of the set to keep it at that energy level. My friend who also DJs said that I did a really good job for my first time and he kept giving me thumbs up when he noticed a smooth transition. I think the best part of the night was when the birthday girl came up and asked if I could play Regulate by Warren G at some point and I smiled back and let her know it was already the next song cued up.

One thing I realized is that I do not have the stamina or lifestyle right now to make DJing an easy thing to do on the side. I work a normal 8:00-5:00 job Monday through Friday and I found it difficult to really focus on doing my other "job" starting at 10:00pm on a Saturday night. And that doesn't include packing up all my poo poo, driving there, setting everything up, and then dong the same thing after. Is this a pretty normal thing to have to get used to? I also just turned 30 and while I'm not that old, I have definitely noticed myself slow down a bit compared to when I was 22 or so.

Also, I now realize just how loving annoying it is to have people request songs when I am in the middle of playing. Not the birthday girl, she could ask me for whatever she wanted, it's her party. But I had random people come up and say "Hey could you maybe play some older stuff like Earth, Wind and Fire?" This was immediately after I had played Billie Jean, EW&F wasn't on the list of bands the birthday group wanted, and she kept naming off old bands to try and get me to play something from them. She had not been dancing at ALL the entire night, despite plenty of other people dancing and having a great time. Sorry you don't like this music that much but this isn't your party. I was really nice about it and tried to play a few more older songs on my list but I couldn't imagine doing that at someone else's birthday party.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 22, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrSargent posted:

Also, I now realize just how loving annoying it is to have people request songs when I am in the middle of playing. Not the birthday girl, she could ask me for whatever she wanted, it's her party. But I had random people come up and say "Hey could you maybe play some older stuff like Earth, Wind and Fire?" This was immediately after I had played Billie Jean, EW&F wasn't on the list of bands the birthday group wanted, and she kept naming off old bands to try and get me to play something from them. She had not been dancing at ALL the entire night, despite plenty of other people dancing and having a great time. Sorry you don't like this music that much but this isn't your party. I was really nice about it and tried to play a few more older songs on my list but I couldn't imagine doing that at someone else's birthday party.

The life of a party DJ...

Less so when you have a 'name' for yourself or you're playing the kind of event that's quite clearly no requests ie; a night.

Nice work though, mistakes are expected as it's surprisingly stressful trying to make poo poo run smoothly. I once stopped the wrong deck at a NYE party, I just put my hands up and quickly needle dropped roughly back where I was. Nobody minds.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Regulate by Warren G

tuuuuuuuuune

quote:

One thing I realized is that I do not have the stamina or lifestyle right now to make DJing an easy thing to do on the side. I work a normal 8:00-5:00 job Monday through Friday and I found it difficult to really focus on doing my other "job" starting at 10:00pm on a Saturday night. And that doesn't include packing up all my poo poo, driving there, setting everything up, and then dong the same thing after. Is this a pretty normal thing to have to get used to? I also just turned 30 and while I'm not that old, I have definitely noticed myself slow down a bit compared to when I was 22 or so.
Yeah all this is me, p much once I had kids I realized I couldn't do this anymore. When I was 25 I worked IT helpdesk 9-5, then straight to the bar and did happy hour dj 6-11pm once a week, and at least one fri/sat a week. No problem. Now, I need like all of Saturday day to go just right so I can be ready for the night, and forget about a Fri night gig.

quote:

Also, I now realize just how loving annoying it is to have people request songs when I am in the middle of playing

OK sure, but
1. It's part of the job, and
2. Shame on you for not having earth wind and fire!! Let's Groove is 126 bpm.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

OK sure, but
1. It's part of the job, and
2. Shame on you for not having earth wind and fire!! Let's Groove is 126 bpm.

This is all fair. I think I was just annoyed with this one person in particular. I should definitely have some earth wind and fire but I literally just started building a library and got as much as I could for this first job. Going to download that right now, thanks!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's always this for those annoying repeat customers... :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I was spinning a party a while back and had some chick request some awful bullshit top40 track while I was in the middle of spinning prog house for around 200 folks. I blankly told her no and turned around and she had a goddamn meltdown. It was hilarious. I don't really have a problem with requests AS LONG AS they're the same genre as what's being played at the party.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MrSargent posted:

This is all fair. I think I was just annoyed with this one person in particular. I should definitely have some earth wind and fire but I literally just started building a library and got as much as I could for this first job. Going to download that right now, thanks!

I was doing a wedding on Saturday and thought of you. This woman who was completely hammered kept requesting Chumbawamba "Tubthumping". Now, Chumbawamba is not-so-secretly one of my favorite bands, but I've also endured years of people making fun of me for it, so I was like "you're drunk I'm not taking that request here's some Weeknd". Anyway when there was like 15 minutes left and she still wouldn't quit I was like gently caress it, and played it. And sure enough, it KILLED. People that weren't dancing before got on the floor, everyone jumping, etc. Outstanding.

So this story is to say that even if you're a "professional", some times the drunk lady really knows what she's talking about.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have a trap remix of Tubthumping that gets way more play than it should

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Link pls

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's always this for those annoying repeat customers... :v:

Whomever wrote this is more insufferable than repeat requesters.

"please explain how you can transition from genre to genre and from bpm to bpm" seriously?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

"please explain how you can transition from genre to genre and from bpm to bpm" seriously?

I mean the easy answer is basically just "backspin transition, next question." Right?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I was doing a wedding on Saturday and thought of you. This woman who was completely hammered kept requesting Chumbawamba "Tubthumping". Now, Chumbawamba is not-so-secretly one of my favorite bands, but I've also endured years of people making fun of me for it, so I was like "you're drunk I'm not taking that request here's some Weeknd". Anyway when there was like 15 minutes left and she still wouldn't quit I was like gently caress it, and played it. And sure enough, it KILLED. People that weren't dancing before got on the floor, everyone jumping, etc. Outstanding.

So this story is to say that even if you're a "professional", some times the drunk lady really knows what she's talking about.

Hahahah this is an amazing story, thanks for sharing. **Adds Tubthumping to library**

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

dropkickpikachu posted:

I mean the easy answer is basically just "backspin transition, next question." Right?

Or just, slam the crossfader? Fade out/fade in? Literally push stop and start the next song? Simple is good!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Or just, slam the crossfader? Fade out/fade in? Literally push stop and start the next song? Simple is good!

This is the only way I know to switch genres or big BPM changes because I don't have gear that can easily switch from precise to wide pitch sliders :smith:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Turn off motor on outgoing deck, scratch into incoming beat as it slows and then crank the bass when you let go.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

revmoo posted:

Turn off motor on outgoing deck, scratch into incoming beat as it slows and then crank the bass when you let go.

turning the TT off is the best effect. pretty hard to mess it up really.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Only use transitions. The more pitbull the better.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You know it's a joke, right? :v:

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Just smash the airhorn sample pad on your deck over and over as you crossfade from a DNB track to Tim McGraw

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

dropkickpikachu posted:

Just smash the airhorn sample pad on your deck over and over as you crossfade from a DNB track to Tim McGraw

Isn't this how you are supposed to transition between ALL songs?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You know it's a joke, right? :v:

Is it? I feel like so many DJs get mad about requests I thought it was serious.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

dropkickpikachu posted:

I mean in an ideal situation you're djing via youtube in which case you can just use lickshot
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lickshot/mhnghnbgphnoifbgfimejdmjcdibppio?hl=en

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
For beatport users, I just found this: crates.co (although it looks like it's around a year old at this point)

https://ask.audio/articles/why-crates-co-is-the-beatport-update-you-didn-t-know-you-needed

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I got so lucky getting a used SX for cheap as hell, I've spent 3 months scouring every app and site on the web for used gear to get what I really wanted. Finally landed a used XDJ-RX that's turned out to be in absolutely mint condition for only $800, at long last the only thing I'll really need unless I win the lottery and can blow a wad on nexus 2's. I absolutely love this thing and can't wait to start using it over the summer for parties without needing to lug around a laptop and feel like I'm on legit gear for once.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Friday thought experiment: on a scale of "slightly stupid" to "you're a moron" how bad of an idea would it be to try to teach myself to scratch on a PT-01? I just simply don't have space for full turntables at the moment and the idea of being able to use timecode and a mixfader with my phone or iPad is super appealing. I figure if nothing else I'll end up with a super light touch.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

qirex posted:

Friday thought experiment: on a scale of "slightly stupid" to "you're a moron" how bad of an idea would it be to try to teach myself to scratch on a PT-01? I just simply don't have space for full turntables at the moment and the idea of being able to use timecode and a mixfader with my phone or iPad is super appealing. I figure if nothing else I'll end up with a super light touch.

Two of my friends who are turntablists can rock a pt-01 with a mixfader. I've only seen videos of them working it, but it sounds like it's fine. I'd say give it a shot

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dj bobby bieber posted:

Two of my friends who are turntablists can rock a pt-01 with a mixfader. I've only seen videos of them working it, but it sounds like it's fine. I'd say give it a shot

I mean learn from the beginning. I have a feeling it's like trying to learn pool on one of those Sharper Image tabletop pool tables.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

qirex posted:

I mean learn from the beginning. I have a feeling it's like trying to learn pool on one of those Sharper Image tabletop pool tables.

From my experience I wouldn't recommend it if you want to learn more fun and interesting stuff than stabs and baby scratches. It's not that it won't be possible, it's just a self imposed handicap that will slow down your learning

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

qirex posted:

I mean, my recommendation would be a PDX-2000 and a baby mixer. that shouldn't set you back too much.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

qirex posted:

Looking at it I'm not sure it'll have enough 'go' on the platter to give you any reasonable sense of what it's like to do it on a full size deck with a nice big, weighted platter and strong direct drive motor. That said I've seen a dude 'scratch' on a loving tape deck so............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=088AWsTtTFU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's more about space and complexity than budget, I actually have a decent scratch mixer sitting in my closet. It's also about me not starting to buy records again [I had a problem with buying records] and wanting to keep my computer out of the equation. Other things I've been considering are a controller that can interface with iOS like the Reloop Beatpad or even an XDJ [but at that point I'm saving no space and exceeding the cost of buying a decent record player]. The appeal of the PT-01 setup is I could put it away instead of dedicating a huge chunk of space to it. I'm a total corner case I know.

reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xuy0GAsnNQ

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's the initial video I thought of but then on rewatching it realised he wasn't exactly scratching. I then found that other one which is actually really loving cool.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's the initial video I thought of but then on rewatching it realised he wasn't exactly scratching. I then found that other one which is actually really loving cool.

If you go later in the video he does some rudimentary juggling but yeah, the one you posted is more actual scratching. I just have a permanent soft spot for '90s DMC videos. Life was so much simpler then :shobon:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Why is Rekordbox so bad?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

keevo posted:

Why is Rekordbox so bad?

It's better than Serato.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

keevo posted:

Why is Rekordbox so bad?

Do you mean as an organizer/analyzer or performance mode? Because it's probably the best to set up tracks for an RX or CDJ's, the way it allows organization is the best there is IMO.

But yes performance mode is absolute rear end and it's far too tiny.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

keevo posted:

Why is Rekordbox so bad?

wait till you sync your usb, one of your tracks only half syncs and you're playing it out. gotta love dead air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

qirex posted:

If you go later in the video he does some rudimentary juggling but yeah, the one you posted is more actual scratching. I just have a permanent soft spot for '90s DMC videos. Life was so much simpler then :shobon:

This popped up for me today, mods for the PT01...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEPz0DDARJ0