Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Serephina posted:

There's virtually no difference here in aesthetic, or artist's technical skill?

The pictures are actually both from ES1. This is what the ES2 Horatio looks like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Truly, a perfect being :swoon:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
So how does ES2 compare to Stellaris? Apart from having infinitely better art design?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Space apples to space oranges, imo. Stellaris is kinda hands-off and more focused on overhead management, whereas ES2 is more Civ-like in that it has victory conditions and is focused on reaching those eventually.

That said, I like the visual aesthetic of ES2 way more and prefer these kinds of games to Paradox sims.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

For real though have the devs actually said the Horatio are just continuing the joke of Rimmerworld? Because some of the flavour text could practically be quotes from the episode.

In case anyone doesn't watch red dwarf, there's an episode where the vain neurotic selfish egotistical spineless smeg head a crew member gets stranded on a planet and due to a time vortex or what ever has like a thousand year before his shipmates can rescue him. He uses a cloning machine to create a clone of him to keep him company, then makes a female version, then more, and the next thing you know there's an entire culture and civilization. They kill anyone who shows un-rimmerlike qualities either physically or mentally (horrible traits such as loyalty or courage). The emperor of their society wears a metalic H on his head showing he is the true and original rimmer (an immortal hologram) but because it's a society made out of Rimmers they locked up the real rimmer centuries ago and now all backstab each other to sit on the throne and wear the H of rulership, declaring them self rimmer prime.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

NmareBfly posted:

My other Endless story: The Horatio in ES1 have a disadvantage that makes their ships cost more. It used to be called 'anti-expansionist' or something which made 0 sense because they're an expansionist race. I -- me personally -- suggested on the official forum they change the name to 'The price of beauty' because they seem like dudes that would spend a lot of time installing golden doilies in every corridor. This is my greatest game development accomplishment. :smug:

I'd just like to say that I'm still proud of this and think of it every time I start the game but it has forced me to basically only ever play Horatio. Which is not a problem, per se.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

So how does ES2 compare to Stellaris? Apart from having infinitely better art design?

Stellaris is kind of a confused game which doesn't seem to be sure if it's trying to be a 4X or a grand strategy game in line with Paradox's other titles, or a wobbly hybrid of both. There's a lot of good things about it, but they still have a long way to go before they really nail the game down. When it works, though, you do get a good sense of being in charge of a huge space opera-style galactic civilization. The only other space strategy game that's really done that for me is Distant Worlds (which does it better, I should say, in large part thanks to all the civilian traffic), although that game has its own slew of issues as well. Also, though I haven't actually played Stellaris in a while, I understand it's a bit broken right now, maybe? Something to do with the recent expansion, I think.

ES2 is just a straight-up modern space 4X with a lot of variance in how you play the different races. It's very slick and does what it tries to be very well. I think they've managed to give the game more of a soul this time as well compared with their first effort, although there is still something that nags me about the overall design of their UI elements: it's all a little bit too clean and 'glassy,' for lack of a better word.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 19, 2017

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

I just finished the quest line for The Unfallen last night and I have no idea what the reward actually does. I picked fireforming, and the description makes some reference to terraforming, but I'd kinda like to know the specifics.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ES2 looks like it got everything learned from ES1 and polished the gently caress outta it, eagerly awaiting your opinions fellas

Stellaris is good but like above poster said, it is a bit all over the place

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I colonized Auriga.

I think it's angry.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i won my first match, as sophons, by conquest somehow. i defeated 1 opponent cause he was being a prick, and settled a bunch of empty space and thats all. the ai seems a bit dumb

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Overminty posted:

Not at my pc right now so I can't confirm this but have you checked the documents folder for Endless Space 2 to look for an ini or xml file? I think there was one for Legend called Registry.xml
Cheers mate. This worked after some fiddling about.

Does anyone know where the soundtrack saves to?

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 19, 2017

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

how does the analytical engine work? do you get income whenever you discover a curiosity? is it +1 every turn for every curiosity discovered in the game/in your empire/in that system by you/everyone?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Looks like the Horatio got the one interesting trait the Sowers had in ES1, being able to colonize anywhere. Their ability to harvest other species for more FIDS output is creepy but awesome. Looks like the Cravers aren't the only ones who eat people. I might enjoy this.

I seem to have a graphical bug when trying out the Unfallen. I can't see the vines! How am I supposed to know what's tethered to my systems and what isn't?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Have you tethered a thing? There's a very obvious player-coloured set of strings between tethered systems, and holographic ones on elegible systems. If that's not showing up then I'd report that as a bug.

The vines showing up when Unfallen ships warp in is super cool.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Is there a way to change the resolution outside of the game? Mine has spazzed out and made it so big I can't even access the confirm button in the options menu to change it back. It's locked so I can't even move it about.

Try alt + enter, the game breaks with multiple monitors. If that doesn't work, look for the registry.xml file under my documents somewhere.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I might be functionally brain-damaged, but how do you actually use/activate luxuries?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Deleter posted:

Have you tethered a thing? There's a very obvious player-coloured set of strings between tethered systems, and holographic ones on elegible systems. If that's not showing up then I'd report that as a bug.

The vines showing up when Unfallen ships warp in is super cool.

Yeah, I've tethered multiple systems. There's a "vines growing out of vineship" animation but actual systems under my control have no visible vines whatesoever. Definitely a bug. Too bad, I wanted to turn the universe into my garden!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Avasculous posted:

I might be functionally brain-damaged, but how do you actually use/activate luxuries?

They can be used in 3 ways.
The first way is in upgrading a systems' development level. Go into your economy screen and if you have the tech you can click on the development level and put a resource into the box(es). Different resource give different bonuses. It's an odd system but it works out.
The second way is by feeding them to your pops via the population screen (you can get to it quick by clicking on a pop in your system view's pop totals). Every game every species is assigned a random luxury that makes them grow gooder, feed them and they grow more.
The third way is by selling them on the market for $$$$$

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

They can be used in 3 ways.
The first way is in upgrading a systems' development level. Go into your economy screen and if you have the tech you can click on the development level and put a resource into the box(es). Different resource give different bonuses. It's an odd system but it works out.
The second way is by feeding them to your pops via the population screen (you can get to it quick by clicking on a pop in your system view's pop totals). Every game every species is assigned a random luxury that makes them grow gooder, feed them and they grow more.
The third way is by selling them on the market for $$$$$

Thanks, that was driving me crazy. I've got 10,000 potatoes lying around, and I missed the system development tech, and the system population screen for that matter.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I've tethered multiple systems. There's a "vines growing out of vineship" animation but actual systems under my control have no visible vines whatesoever. Definitely a bug. Too bad, I wanted to turn the universe into my garden!

Yeah that sucks. I picked an orange color for my trees so it's super obvious when something is vined up. Maybe it's bugged for other colors.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So I managed to fix my display issues and win the game I was in.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 19, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
poo poo, the last update tanked my frame rate. I can't break 10 fps now, wth

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

There's also a reward tech somewhere that let's you use them to bribe minor factions, I assume for reputation or whatever it's called.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I ask this knowing the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway

Can the AI actually play this game semi-competitively with a human?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Speaking of minor factions, how does it work for "alliances' ? Sometimes a rival empire will become allies with the minor faction, I can still interact with them but they seem to be permanently claimed by that rival empire. Is there a way to usurp that control or once a minor reads as being allies with someone else it's influence game over?

Also why would any minor willingly join the cravers? It seems like they should have some huge penalty to minor interactions the same way it feels like I should be able to genocide/expel them from my reclaimed territory. I like that the setting in this game is very cosmopolitan and it's super normal for empires to be extremely species-diverse but no other species ruins planets just by being there and all the lore makes them out to be enslaving killing machines that can not be reasoned with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

victrix posted:

I'm new to it and bad at it, but the AI seems... ok? I got my poo poo pushed in by the cravers early on. But no, they're still really bad and get "stuck" easily. Like in the game i'm currently playing the cravers got a huge early lead and control half the galaxy and have like 10x the fleet of any of their neighbours but they are extremely slow to conquer them or even bother going to war. The AI in general is way to unaggressive and doesn't capitalize on their advantages.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

They have worked on some of the known issues for patch 1.01!

[KNOWN ISSUES]
Unfallen users cannot use the spaceport
Several factions traits on custom factions are not functional yet
ENFER ship cannot be dragged into the hangar (it can be done through the disband action)
Vodyani Quest Chapter 1 Part 2 Second choice will not work with custom factions

The fixes?
[FIXES]
Fix for non-repeating minor factions
Fix for abundance of strats and luxes
Fixed an issue where ships in flotilla without direct opponent could not shoot
Fixed space battle trajectories orientations
Fix error sometimes occurring when opening the advanced play screen directly after the start of the battle, causing the enemy play cards and ships to be broken. We now simulate the enemy play if needed so we can show the information correctly.
Fix for number of nodes was still affected by density
Fix for isolated nodes spawning too far away
Fixed slider settings flicking between 2 (or more) values if they are quickly changed by the host in multiplayer.
Fixed error in economy screen system tab related to Riftborn population construction
Fixed the issue where the cost of the "Praise" action (Minor faction interaction) was not influenced by the "We are equals" law
Fix Venetians T2/3 Turrets Orientation
Fixed an issue on United Empire Ground Battle assets
Fixed an issue on Tikanans Ground Battle assets
fixed an issue on Riftborn home planet where the strategic luxury were spawned on all the planets of the home system or no strategic deposit were spawned instead of having them only on the home planet
Fix vote redistribution feedback in Election last panel
Fix duplicate special nodes names
Fixed full screen portrait rendering with custom resolution.
removed Bailiff Quest which provokes unpredictable eliminations
Fixed the bug forbidding the Ecologist Forced Law to apply properly
Fixed Riftborn outpost progress not being fed back in orbital view
Fixed outpost FIDSI not being displayed in orbital view
Fixed a bug on the Horatio gene population display in the population screen
Fix incorrect unlocking of play tactics slots when passing a turn
Fix several Multiplayer desyncs
Fix Wonder cancellation process and Refund in notification
Lots of issues fixed, along with an improvement to the overall stability of the game
Balancing / global tweak of the game
Fixed custom faction voice over now matches faction visuals
Fixed the Narrator Empire Introduction voice when launching the Tutorial Beginner
Fixed various causes of potential sync loss
Fixed notifications not being displayed in some game loading situations
Fixed missing icons in the tech tree
Fixed an issue with "Preserve the Academy" breaking saves
Fixed an issue with ground battle scan views
Fixed some sounds missing with ground battle
Fixed an issue with Horatio splicing
Fixed an issue with ground battle manpower that could be negative in some cases
Fixed the planet scan view, now complete
Fixed Game session remaining stucked during the End Turn sequence while in a Pending state
[MAC] Fixed the minor and major factions influence area can be seen through the fog of war

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

victrix posted:

There are shades of intelligence beyond what was in EL. In the game I'm playing now, my immediate rival has refit his ships repeatedly to counter mine, and now that I'm snowballing, three of the AIs have allied against me.

It's still dumb as hell though, unfortunately. It will colonize worlds on the opposite side of your empire, and then run helpless colonists straight through your navy over and over, letting you kill them for tons of money. It can have an overwhelming military advantage over you and will just vaguely blockade your border systems, very occasionally invading one.

I can kind of understand its reticence though, because the way invasions work is loving annoying.

Is there any way to get around the defender just Conscripting every single turn? It seems impossible to wipe out large garrisons in one attack, and the fact that he can refill his Garrison every turn for 1 Pop in a 28 Pop system is... tedious. Not to mention that I don't even want the system if I have to murder every last citizen to take it over. And how the hell is he conscripting tanks anyways?!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
As the Unfallen, how do I claim systems as part of my empire (for instance, to complete Fire and Light, which requires me to have 2 anomalies within my empire)? It's stuck at 0 even though I have anomalies on planets that aren't just in my empire, but are colonized!

I don't make a 'claimed territory' aura, as an example in this screenshot - Esh has grey territory because it's a minor faction, but Veni and Lahat don't have purple territory the same way. I assume this might be related.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm pretty sure any system with your celestial vines and with a colony counts as part of your empire. Post a screenshot of a system that should count for the quest?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What should I be doing about early game military? Every time I make first contact I get rolled by larger and stronger fleets. I am playing on Easy

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What should I be doing about early game military? Every time I make first contact I get rolled by larger and stronger fleets. I am playing on Easy

You should go for the specific military hulls. The game doesn't give them to you by default and trying to use the exploration or colony ship with weapons won't work out as well as the military ones. They are not part of the military part of the tech... circle. I think it's Protected Shields or something, an early tech on the left side of the tech tree.

Then of course fit them with weapons and shields/armor depending on your needs, any utilities you may think you need and obviously build them.
Go ahead and throw a hero unit in with a small fleet of your ships. They will help bolster your forces immensely.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, on the left early in the tree, two spaceship icons on the node.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Riftborn quest line is super good and the soundtrack is amazing.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Onean posted:

I'm pretty sure any system with your celestial vines and with a colony counts as part of your empire. Post a screenshot of a system that should count for the quest?

I hadn't actually colonized the correct planet, though it was in Lahat. The Unfallen have to actually be on the planet to have it count for them, apparently.

In other news, you'd think you'd notice Low Gravity as soon as you got there without extra investigation, really.

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 20, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ahh, that makes sense.

And, speaking of gravity anomalies...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Onean posted:

Ahh, that makes sense.

And, speaking of gravity anomalies...

'So how's the gravity on that planet?'

"It's, um... it's gravity. Probably.'

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Prism posted:

In other news, you'd think you'd notice Low Gravity as soon as you got there without extra investigation, really.

Yeah, well, you'd think aircraft and colonizing "Arid" worlds would predate INTERSTELLAR TRAVEL but here we are.

Edit- count to think of it, that actually makes sense for the Riftborn though.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Avasculous posted:

Yeah, well, you'd think aircraft and colonizing "Arid" worlds would predate INTERSTELLAR TRAVEL but here we are.

Edit- count to think of it, that actually makes sense for the Riftborn though.

I'm assuming arid worlds don't have much/any water at all, which would be a problem. Steppes sounds like it should be easier than arid.