Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was reading Fantastic Four #285 and Sue Storm has some really, really terrible hair in it here's an example of it, but not from #285. Is this the worst hair in comic history? Is there a story reason for this? Was she a skrull that didn't get the concept of hair? If there has been worse hair then who's is it? Also in #285 a kid douses himself in fuel and sets himself on fire because Johnny Storm is his favourite hero, I found this funnier than I probably should do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That reminds me of Rachel Summers' original haircut, the vaunted femmullet.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

bessantj posted:

Also in #285 a kid douses himself in fuel and sets himself on fire because Johnny Storm is his favourite hero, I found this funnier than I probably should do.

You should find it exactly that funny because that's always going to be hilariously overdramatic and dumb, and it only ever happens with Johnny.

Where's my kid shoving knives in his hands because Wolverine is his favorite hero, Marvel?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

bessantj posted:

I was reading Fantastic Four #285 and Sue Storm has some really, really terrible hair in it here's an example of it, but not from #285. Is this the worst hair in comic history? Is there a story reason for this? Was she a skrull that didn't get the concept of hair? If there has been worse hair then who's is it? Also in #285 a kid douses himself in fuel and sets himself on fire because Johnny Storm is his favourite hero, I found this funnier than I probably should do.

She looks like 90's Superman. Is that some kind of jab?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fantastic Four 285 came out in 1985. You're lucky her hair looked that good in 1985.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

RandallODim posted:

You should find it exactly that funny because that's always going to be hilariously overdramatic and dumb, and it only ever happens with Johnny.

Where's my kid shoving knives in his hands because Wolverine is his favorite hero, Marvel?

What I liked even more about it was the beyonder takes Storm back into the past to show him what a really lovely life this kid was leading so actually setting himself on fire and dying in agony was a pretty good thing to happen.

X-O posted:

Fantastic Four 285 came out in 1985. You're lucky her hair looked that good in 1985.

Now that Endless Mike has said it it does look like Rachel Summers hair. It's bad, bad 80s hair.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I remember a lot of female character's hair going to poo poo during to the 80s.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghostlight posted:

I remember a lot of female character's hair going to poo poo during to the 80s.

You have a lot of male artists trying to draw some of the worst, yet popular at the time, hairstyles of all time. So you're lucky if it even resembled hair half the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

You have a lot of male artists trying to draw some of the worst, yet popular at the time, hairstyles of all time. So you're lucky if it even resembled hair half the time.

Yeah, I think that one is supposed to be the 80's wet slicked back hair look.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That kind of hair was acceptable in the 80's. It was acceptable at the time.

MJ rocked a pretty mean perm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

She looks like 90's Superman. Is that some kind of jab?

It's basically a Markie Post.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've got love for you if you were permed in the 80s.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

It's basically a Markie Post.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Did someone say "perm"?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's the 80s. Do a lot of coke and vote for Ronald Reagan (and get a stupid haircut)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
80's hair is karmic justice for electing Reagan twice.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Madkal posted:

It's the 80s. Do a lot of coke and vote for Ronald Reagan (and get a stupid haircut)

:golfclap:
An always-requested ditty on the Satellite of Love.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

bessantj posted:

That kid's dad eventually became a supervillain: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Herb_Bannion_(Earth-616)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

80's hair is karmic justice for electing Reagan twice.

I shudder to think what's going to happen to American hair when you guys re-elect Trump by a landslide in 2020 when Chelsea Clinton's campaign fails.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

X-O posted:

All worth it for Storms Mohawk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I shudder to think what's going to happen to American hair when you guys re-elect Trump by a landslide in 2020 when Chelsea Clinton's campaign fails.

Bald is going to be super popular, that's not a skin heads reference, that's a the few survivors of the thermonuclear holocaust will have severe radiation poisoning reference.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My headcanon that only the US is a nuclear wasteland in Fallout and the rest of the world is completely fine will finally come true.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lurdiak posted:

My headcanon that only the US is a nuclear wasteland in Fallout and the rest of the world is completely fine will finally come true.

That's my head cannon for Walking Dead. Actually, it's that everywhere in the US except around Rick and the crew is a perfectly functional society that took care of the zombie problem years ago.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ah good, they managed to salvage something out of it then.

I Love Loosies posted:

All worth it for Storms Mohawk.

Now that I did like.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What became of Sherlock Holmes in the LoEG universe? In the first volume, he's only mentioned in the "present day" of the storyline, then he appears in a flashback where he beats Moriarty at Reichenbach and the last we see of him is him climbing back to safety. Neither he nor Watson are mentioned in volume two and I don't recall any mention of him in the subsequent entries.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

What became of Sherlock Holmes in the LoEG universe? In the first volume, he's only mentioned in the "present day" of the storyline, then he appears in a flashback where he beats Moriarty at Reichenbach and the last we see of him is him climbing back to safety. Neither he nor Watson are mentioned in volume two and I don't recall any mention of him in the subsequent entries.

http://lxg.wikia.com/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah right, I see. So it was basically like the novels. It's always odd how writers love using Mycroft and Moriarty but never Holmes himself. Biggest example that occurs to me: Kim Newman explained that Holmes and Watson are political prisoners in a camp on the Sussex Downs in Anno Dracula because if Holmes had been in London he would have solved the murder mystery in no time and there wouldn't have been a plot. :v:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah right, I see. So it was basically like the novels. It's always odd how writers love using Mycroft and Moriarty but never Holmes himself. Biggest example that occurs to me: Kim Newman explained that Holmes and Watson are political prisoners in a camp on the Sussex Downs in Anno Dracula because if Holmes had been in London he would have solved the murder mystery in no time and there wouldn't have been a plot. :v:

I think it's a case that Sherlock has already been used one hundred billion times, so giving the spotlight to the secondary characters is more fun and allows the writer to put their own stamp on them, whereas Holmes is always going to be well, Holmes.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
How is Green Arrow's chili recipe that he serves to the rest of the Justice League in any way painful to them? You can't put less than five tablespoons of spice (and not even hot spice, it's all smoky poo poo) into a pound and a half's worth of meat and expect it to taste better than dogfood. Are all the made-up cities that the Justice League come from in the Midwest?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I've been reading the X-men through Marvel Unlimited and now entering the post Muir Island era. Things seem to be getting complicated with a lot of backstage stuff like the Image Exodus. Could someone give me a little primer on what things are going to be like both in story and outside stuff like Claremont/Lee creative differences and Talent stuff?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Has Martha Wayne ever gotten to be a Batperson in any alternate continuities?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the Joker in Flashpoint is as close as she got.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Aphrodite posted:

I think the Joker in Flashpoint is as close as she got.

If someone asked me to summarize why everything about Flashpoint is terrible, I think "Martha Wayne is the Joker" would just about do the trick.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Not even mad about that. Flashpoint: Batman was really good. Somebody post the "Does he turn out like his father?" "Yes." "A surgeon?" "..." page. Or however that went. Batman having interactions with Batdad is one of those things, like facing down Darkseid, that shows that Batman gets into much wilder poo poo than just punching lunatics.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've been reading the X-men through Marvel Unlimited and now entering the post Muir Island era. Things seem to be getting complicated with a lot of backstage stuff like the Image Exodus. Could someone give me a little primer on what things are going to be like both in story and outside stuff like Claremont/Lee creative differences and Talent stuff?

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story gets into this a little, but mostly just the personalities involved, not like what effect it has on the storylines.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alvarez IV posted:

How is Green Arrow's chili recipe that he serves to the rest of the Justice League in any way painful to them? You can't put less than five tablespoons of spice (and not even hot spice, it's all smoky poo poo) into a pound and a half's worth of meat and expect it to taste better than dogfood. Are all the made-up cities that the Justice League come from in the Midwest?
It is majority white dudes from that general territory. Otherwise you got a space alien, a cyborg, a Greek demigoddess... Zatanna probably got in for being able to get Italian catering for the Watchtower.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I'd use more cumin and paprika for a pound and a half of meat but the biggest issue I see is that there aren't any actual chilies in the Green Arrow's chili. That and way too many kidney beans, but I don't like kidney beans and use pintos myself.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Alvarez IV posted:

NeilDegrasseTyson.jpg

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Well, as I understand it, Lee wanted to Make Magneto Great a Villain Again, but Claremont wasn't interested as he felt he'd done all he wanted with Magneto really (and had basically reformed him throughout his run). Bob Harras, the editor of he X-line at the time, sided with Lee, since he was an up-and-coming superstar artist. So Claremont plotted the first 3 issues of the new adjectiveless X-Men title, and quit. Of course, not long afterwards, the Image Exodus happened, so Lee, Williams, Portacio and that (who were working on the 2 main X-books at the time) left Marvel.

I haven't read much of that era, but basically you're heading into a lot of crossovers (X-cutioner's Song, Phalanx Covenant, AoA, Onslaught etc up as far as 1996 anyway).

I think the above-mentioned book plus another one, Comic Creators on X-Men, would clue you in more to the behind-the-scenes stuff, since it's all straight from the horses mouths. I haven't read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story but the other book has some really insightful interviews between the individual creators and Tom DeFalco, all the way up to the likes of Morrison and Millar in the early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Magneto was already full time villain before Jim Lee came around, Claremont gave some good explanations for why Magneto gave up on the Xavier dream so I thought he would have moved on. I'm going to sit down and read X-men 1-3 so it might be Magneto trying to kill everyone with Asteroid M or something if Claremont vs Lee was about Magneto's depiction