Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress Gary :colbert:

Counter-counterpoint: Three Floyds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

wicka posted:

Counter-counterpoint: Three Floyds

Three Floyds all taste the same.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Clarification: northeastern indiana

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Indiana is a shithole that gave us Mike Pence.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
You are welcome :smuggo:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

gret posted:

I still remember the day they signed their Religious Freedom bill IMS came out saying they accept everyone regardless of whatever. I can't believe how fast they backed off that law

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gret posted:

Horse-fucker Mike Pence.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
My early memories of Indycar and the 500 are kind of vague. I know for sure I was watching a lot growing up by the late 80s/early 90s, but I couldn't give you an Indycar moment I can remember. I only really became a fanatic by the mid 90s, before the split. I think the split actually helped me ultimately cement my loyalty and fandom to Indycar, and gave me excuses to start going to races. The first race I attended was the last Champ Car race, Long Beach 2008.

What I do remember is the first time I ever went to a race track, Saugus Speedway. My parents thought I would be freaked out by the loud cars and my brother would love it. Turns out it was the opposite of that, I was up against the fence and my brother was cowering. My mom always likes telling this story, and in fact I just heard it from her this week. We're going to Irwindale tomorrow night to see some supermoto and banger racing, because of course we are.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I became a CART loyalist because I preferred Road Racing. To be honest when I was younger I wasn't even aware there was an IRL until 2000 or so.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

I became a CART loyalist because I preferred Road Racing. To be honest when I was younger I wasn't even aware there was an IRL until 2000 or so.

Me too, but I eventually started gravitating towards the IRL after NASCAR started going to crap and ChampCar was starting its obvious decline towards irrelevance. When Penske and everyone started doing the Indy 500, you kind of had to start paying attention to the IRL.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Alonso over 230 already /swoon

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

mactheknife posted:

Alonso over 230 already /swoon

230 no-tow lap. :getin:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

It looks like Alonso almost touched the wall there?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

It looks like Alonso almost touched the wall there?

Yeah.

But yeah, he's definitely getting this big time.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

RHR 232

TK 231 NT

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
To join in the race reminiscing, I caught the 92 Daytona 500 and got bit by the NASCAR bug hard, was a NASCAR only guy for a bit but then went to my first CART race at Road America and was hooked.

I'd watch any kind of racing and still do, but I was a CART guy above all else and an Andretti guy above that. Went to RA a bunch, Milwaukee many times, Michigan four or five times. That race where Fernandez lost a tire into the crowd, that was only a section over from our seats, and that kind of killed my interest for a long time but in the last 5 years or so I've jumped back in big time. Watch every series I can, got a local dirt track we hit sometimes.

Been to a couple 500s and a Brickyard but to be honest didn't really love the experience. Would love to go back, though.

mactheknife fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 19, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Just gunna leave this analysis of Fernando by Fernando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUB5uYk0hD8&t=140s

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

233 :psyduck:

Wonder what qually is going to top out at then.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Harvey with issues again

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

4th Honda to go boom on the oval. Chevy has done at least 2 engine swaps too. They are definitely pushing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did Honda find the old Buick playbook somewhere?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

My first Indycar experience was the 96 Laguna Seca race. Laguna Seca is my dad's favorite racetrack outside of Spa, so I wanted to watch it. I was 4, so most of the race was kinda fuzzy.

Then the pass happened. I still remember my stomach turning out of excitement. I couldn't stop watching racing after that. Watched the next F1 season and every Indycar season since.

But my first Indianapolis experience was actually later. I always watched it, but I never really understood what made it better than Cleveland or Road America or Laguna Seca. My gf took me in 2012 (she's somehow even more into racing, mostly WEC). I was super into Barrichello running that year too. When Sato crashed, I think a little of my soul died.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Some of the bumper wings are starting to vanish too.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

Some of the bumper wings are starting to vanish too.

Good. Even if it's just for quali laps

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gotta imagine DRR and ECR aren't happy with these no tows. They seem to be stuck in the 227 range after the sheen comes off the tires, and I think all three of those cars are expecting/wanting front row speed.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Man if Pippa beats Sarah's qual record I'm gonna be sad cause Fischer is a billion times cooler than Pippa.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

Gotta imagine DRR and ECR aren't happy with these no tows. They seem to be stuck in the 227 range after the sheen comes off the tires, and I think all three of those cars are expecting/wanting front row speed.

Sure seems like the fast 9 is going to be mostly Hondas with maybe a few Penskes in the mix.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Qualsim times

Helio Avg 228.35

Alonso:
Avg 230.049

JPM:

Sato:

e:

Power:
Avg 230.427

Chilton:
Avg 228.669

E: MORE

Dixon

Andretti

Helio

TK

Alonso

RHR

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 19, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think this Alonso fellow might be pretty good at driving race cars

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think this Alonso fellow might be pretty good at driving race cars

I dunno, there are a lot of 13 year-olds on the internet that have never heard of him

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Uncle Jam posted:

Man if Pippa beats Sarah's qual record I'm gonna be sad cause Fischer is a billion times cooler than Pippa.

Pippa sucks and not just on the track

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Uh-oh. Thunder storms possibly incoming.

Also, even though it would no longer make qualifying for Indy unique, I'd love to see a version of Indy qualifying extended to other ovals.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Also, even though it would no longer make qualifying for Indy unique, I'd love to see a version of Indy qualifying extended to other ovals.

Yeah qualifying is pretty much done, moisture

Indy style qualifying makes sense at tracks like Pocono & Fontana where the draft has such a major impact. You could maybe even argue Texas but idk

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Bentai posted:

Eh, just put the lightning tires on. It'll be fine.

Bentai posted:

But haven't they? Ovals are now an average over two (or more?) laps instead of just the best one lap.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

WindyMan posted:

But haven't they? Ovals are now an average over two (or more?) laps instead of just the best one lap.

I believe he means 2 rounds of qualifying, I actually would support a Firestone Fast Six for oval qualifying where the Top 6 get a second run to set the front 3 rows.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Of the 2+ lap qualsims I caught for the frontrunners:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

KingShibby posted:

I believe he means 2 rounds of qualifying, I actually would support a Firestone Fast Six for oval qualifying where the Top 6 get a second run to set the front 3 rows.
Something like that yeah. Might make qualifying more interesting, and could give people who started early in qualifying another shot.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Something like that yeah. Might make qualifying more interesting, and could give people who started early in qualifying another shot.

I like the idea because the top 6 will be able to make small adjustments to better their speeds and you'll see some drama/excitement come from it

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think it would be a great addition to oval events, might even improve viewership during qualifying.

Whoever is choosing the music at IMS today is on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So they are on lunchbreak or something?

• Locked thread