Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

jokes posted:

I am all about getting real autismal about this game and this is how I view decisions on bringing wizards, based loosely on economics.

Let's break the game down into this thought experiment: the theoretical variable "manpower" is the aggregate combat value of all of your troops. In a match, the loser is the person whose manpower is reduced to 0 because of routing/crumbling/dying, etc., or whose manpower is lowest at the end of the time of the round.

When a unit loses some capability to fight (say, from loss of health, ammunition, models, vigor, etc.) their manpower (and the army's) is reduced because they are not in as good of fighting shape anymore. Because you cannot kill units without expending some amount of manpower (though stamina can regenerate on its own). Therefore, over the course of a battle each army is expending manpower in order to reduce the manpower of the other side by a greater value.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about : a unit of spearmen has a value of let's say 200 manpower. By fighting a unit of light cavalry worth 200 manpower, they will end up losing some troops and expending their stamina and at the end of it, the spearmen will kill all the light cavalry but will have lost half their dudes doing it. So, they cost their opponent 200 manpower by expending 100 manpower. The actual "number" of manpower is irrelevant, it's just a relative variable. But they generate a margin of manpower here of 100 manpower (spent 100 manpower to cost the opponent 200). As the battle rages, the theoretical manpower resource goes up and down according to what's happening in the fight.

Now let's say a bunch of swordsmen fight a bunch of zombies with no general. The zombies have manpower that is roughly equal to the swordsmen, and they're just gonna all duke it out and fight to the death. But the swordsmen have a wizard hero. The player controlling the wizard hero has a bunch of options in the form of spells. The wizard is useless in a fight, but he CAN use spells to generate a margin of manpower.

The player, without directly thinking about it in these terms, is determining which action will hurt his opponent the most or save his units the most manpower-- he's seeking to create as big of a margin as he can with the spells. The only issue is, bringing a wizard means you're not bringing some other unit.

To justify bringing a wizard, that wizard needs to do things that would create a margin of manpower between the two parties that is in excess of the additional manpower that bringing another similarly priced unit would have provided. (I'm into economics: he's essentially comparing the net present value of the wizard's capabilities versus the net present value of some other unit's capabilities).

If a wizard uses all of his winds of magic to kill an entire unit's worth of models all by himself, he's probably not as useful as simply bringing another unit, since another unit likely could have done the same, and generated a larger margin of manpower by providing some other value, for example by continuing to fight for the rest of the battle. Therefore, a wizard that only does nuke spells just aren't worth it. They can't do enough damage to justify bringing them over some other similarly priced fighting unit. Some spells do a LOT of damage and are kind of worth it. Winds of death, pit of despair, etc., to name a few.

A wizard that brings buff spells also often doesn't provide enough value, because outside of spells like Flaming Sword of Rhuin, the spells are shortlived and have weak effects and he only gets like 5 casts of them over the entire battle. Flaming Sword of Rhuin is good because it lets you gat down ghosts and trees, but that's a very situational usage. In any event, remember that when you kill units with magic, you're saving the vigor, health, and ammunition of whoever else would have needed to kill it.

A life wizard is nice because he'll likely be able to provide enough healing that more than an entire unit's worth of health can be regenerated, which means it is providing >1 unit's worth of manpower, so life wizards are usually always worth bringing.

At the end of the day, when you analyze the potentialities of unit choices you'll see that wizards are flashy and cool but 9 times out of 10, you'll have greater success and a higher return on your investments of money, time, and attention by just bringing some demigryphs instead.

tl; dr: Wizards have a very low RoI compared to other units, and over the full course of a battle/campaign, a unit of similarly priced units will offer better value than a wizard. Don't bring wizards. Install Gejnor's magic mod, it makes wizards worth it.

Of course then you have poo poo like Vampire lore, where bringing a level 4 Necromancer equals bringing 6 units of zombies/skeletons AND a better life wizard and bringing level 12 Necromancer equals bringing 6 units of zombies/skeletons, a better life wizard AND a potential to instagib 3-6 enemy units with a single Winds of Death spell....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, people really underestimate the power of magic ITT. It is always worth bringing one mage along with an army in MP and SP even without the hilariously overbuffed mods unless you're playing on Ultra unit sizes. It offers insane utility even then

Like you're usually not wiping out whole units in a single spell. But things like Bjuna can take off 60% of a units HP, Nets can trap cav so they can't cycle charge and yoy can wipe them out, summons can lock down missiles or do crazy morale damage through rear charging etc.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

CA's reimagining of the Kroxigor is pretty fantastic, I always thought the TT models looked a bit goofy, and not in a fun or cool way. The weapon tied to their hands was kind of charming, but I don't think I'll miss that. I hope they bite dudes in combat, how rad would it be to see a Kroxigor do a death roll on some poor Empire soldier.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lt. Lizard posted:

Of course then you have poo poo like Vampire lore, where bringing a level 4 Necromancer equals bringing 6 units of zombies/skeletons AND a better life wizard and bringing level 12 Necromancer equals bringing 6 units of zombies/skeletons, a better life wizard AND a potential to instagib 3-6 enemy units with a single Winds of Death spell....

True, but at least vampires are SUPPOSED to be incredibly powerful wizards and fighters in the lore. Empire wizards (and almost all other wizards) train their entire life and are still only mostly able to just help build buildings, transmute lead to gold or something, or sling a couple fireballs but not too many because they get booboos. An immortal vampire lord raises armies of necromantic titans, dragons, ghosts, and calls upon centuries of training and meditation to sling pure death at other nerds.

I still think all magic needs a buff though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Just had the Battle of Gonti Mingol, with the modded custom maps (and a ton of other mods slapped on too, because why not? This vision of Gronti Mingol (its one of the coastal Badlands cities pretty far south, in this case among the first to get attacked by Bjornlings during the Chaos invasion) has the map consist of the attacker deploying in a dense scrub forest, emerging to have to traverse three bridges. The defender gets a HUGE advantage here, unusual for these maps which normally take some measures to make it balanced for attacker/defender. As you'll see in the screenshot they give you this series of bluffs which are great for positioning artillery to rain absolute hell on attackers trying to cross that first bridge. The map is also freakishly huge. I positioned my artillery along the cliffs to fire at enemies trying to cross my bridge, and did a bombing run with my gyrocopters against all the enemies clumped together while crossing. The real VIPs here were the two units of Rangers which really punched above their weight. One unit was intended to be a spotter and the AI basically just kind of ignored them, allowing them to unload all their ammo and harass enemies that were retreating back from the bridge. The other was on the other end of the bridge intended mainly to stall and exhaust the forces. Both were intended to be suicidal units, but they ended up doing a lot better than I anticipated. My plan was just to thin their forces out to make their main push on my force weaker, but I ended up inflicting 700 casualties from the rangers, bombers, and artillery alone and they got so crippled that by the time they were trying to make their final push, it only took one volley of quarreler bolts on their lead trolls to cause the whole army to rout.

My insanely defensible position. With this map layout I could've repelled an enormous force beyond the one I faced; my cannons alone barely used a quarter of their ammo in this bloodbath.

From this height cannonballs were dropping down at a pretty steep angle on the Bjornlings heads. Up on this position I had a Gob Lobber RoR and pictured are Cannons of Zhufbar (modded RoR unit that gives them Ballistics Calibration baked in). They did good.

A screaming Gobbo sez 'ello to a Bjornling lord currently getting strafed by Gyrocopters

My Gyrocopter bombing run. Pictured is a half-strength unit of Gyrocopters and Skyhammer. The specks in the background are goblin 'assisted' projectiles on their way to their targets.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

CA's reimagining of the Kroxigor is pretty fantastic, I always thought the TT models looked a bit goofy, and not in a fun or cool way. The weapon tied to their hands was kind of charming, but I don't think I'll miss that. I hope they bite dudes in combat, how rad would it be to see a Kroxigor do a death roll on some poor Empire soldier.

Their design for the Lizardmen in general seems more influenced by the art than the actual models. Dinosaurs riding dinosaurs is cool and all, but then they look like this

which is kind of doofy.

Dark Elf riders have that newer model, though.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Mordja posted:

Their design for the Lizardmen in general seems more influenced by the art than the actual models. Dinosaurs riding dinosaurs is cool and all, but then they look like this

which is kind of doofy.

Hello darkness, my old friend.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Kokoro Wish posted:

Hello darkness, my old friend.

He's got that saurus drumming right by his ear all loving day, I don't blame him tbh.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

:byodood: YOURE AS COLD AS ICE
YOU'RE WILLING TO SACRIFICE OUR LOVE
YOU NEVER GIVE ADVICE
SOME DAY YOU'LL PAY THE PRICE, I KNOW...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

madmac posted:

Nah, if wizards were that ineffective for cost they'd see almost no use in MP and the exact opposite is true-People very rarely build an army in competitive MP without bringing a wizard. Wizards can and often do swing battles when used well and even a cheapo wizard with one spell is accessing a resource you'd otherwise be completely unable to tap into.

By all means use mods if you want them to be stronger, but you can extract a lot of value out of them even in vanilla.

Closer to Warhammer's release, missile spells were much more powerful, which resulted in a bunch of wizards on flying mounts shooting bolts at each other until someone got the first hit and won the game.

Consequently they got nerfed into the ground, then buffed into the stratosphere again, and then more gently nerfed to their current state, where they tend to be not quiiiiite worth their cost most of the time.

the key to why wizards are good is because they allow you to make/prevent breakthroughs that could not otherwise be made/prevented. you cannot pack a double-strength unit of greatswords into the space normally occupied by one unit of greatswords, but through the miracle of Flaming Swords, followed by a well-timed fireball to the heart of the target formation, you can punch a hole in an enemy formation that the second unit of greatswords would not have been able to. let alone the subtle, beautiful magic of taking a charging unit of heavy cavalry, hitting it with Net of Amyntok, and eating it alive.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The long beastman campaign objective really should be tweaked. I'm on like turn 300 of a campaign now. It probably wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the varg and skaeling becoming peaceful and not actually ever attacking anybody.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jesus christ did something happen because I restarted this last attempt at the Empire like four times and it is being brutally hard and hectic, also marienburg gets 3 stacks :shepicide:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

dead comedy forums posted:

jesus christ did something happen because I restarted this last attempt at the Empire like four times and it is being brutally hard and hectic, also marienburg gets 3 stacks :shepicide:

Yeah its a clusterfuck but its fun. Heres how to cheese the Marienburg superstack: declare war on them, leave your closest settlement undefended, and have your army waiting to ambush. They will invariably send their stack to take your town except they wont have enough to move to take it, and so even if your ambush fails they are now out of position and easy to destroy

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

jokes posted:

I am all about getting real autismal about this game and this is how I view decisions on bringing wizards, based loosely on economics.

tl; dr: Wizards have a very low RoI compared to other units, and over the full course of a battle/campaign, a unit of similarly priced units will offer better value than a wizard. Don't bring wizards. Install Gejnor's magic mod, it makes wizards worth it.

Nah, the manpower value you use is fake precision. For one if you really want a one dimensional value for a unit you could use the gold cost. And that tells you little.
That here is the main point though:

Ze Pollack posted:

the key to why wizards are good is because they allow you to make/prevent breakthroughs that could not otherwise be made/prevented. you cannot pack a double-strength unit of greatswords into the space normally occupied by one unit of greatswords, but through the miracle of Flaming Swords, followed by a well-timed fireball to the heart of the target formation, you can punch a hole in an enemy formation that the second unit of greatswords would not have been able to. let alone the subtle, beautiful magic of taking a charging unit of heavy cavalry, hitting it with Net of Amyntok, and eating it alive.

You can't really look at the contribution of one unit in isolation in a game were moral effects stack and chain routes and flanking are a thing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

babypolis posted:

Yeah its a clusterfuck but its fun. Heres how to cheese the Marienburg superstack: declare war on them, leave your closest settlement undefended, and have your army waiting to ambush. They will invariably send their stack to take your town except they wont have enough to move to take it, and so even if your ambush fails they are now out of position and easy to destroy

I'd appreciate some newbie advice on starting out as the Empire, too. I took the thread's advice and started with Karl Franz to learn the ropes but switched to messing around with Brettonia and the VCs since the latter two seem to have much easier starting positions. I get lost after the first five or so turns as Empire since they're surrounded by stronger enemies.

Here's what I did the couple times I played them:

Upgrade recruiting building in Altdorf to get crossbows by turn 3, follow quests to attack the secessionist army, take Grunburg, quest battle in the forest. That's all easy. Then I dunno what to do or who to attack after that. Marienburg, apparently?

Thanks!

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 19, 2017

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

Upgrade recruiting building in Altdorf to get crossbows by turn 3, follow quests to attack the secessionist army, take Grunburg, quest battle in the forest. That's all easy. Then I dunno what to do or who to attack after that. Marienburg, apparently?

Thanks!

Well you gotta take all of Reikland first, eliminate the secessionists asap, after that you can CHOOSE what you want to do. You can take Marienburg, you can try and play the diplomatic game with your Empire & Bretonnian Neighhours or you can go on the warpath.

But again before you do anything of the sort you must solidify your powerbase and that is Reikland: Altdorf, Grunburg, Helmgart and Eilhart. Once you own all theese regions you get a province-wide effect. I would also suggest you wall up the towns in the province asap as well, makes it easier to defend and you can also launch assaults with some confidence that you won't lose any ground.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
As sadistic as it sounds, I hope Empire gets progressively harder and harder as new races are released because that would be a really unique experience. Most people are used to the 'human' faction being 'easy' mode but by Warhammer III its going to be ultra mega sadistic death mode difficulty at the rate its going.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Panfilo posted:

As sadistic as it sounds, I hope Empire gets progressively harder and harder as new races are released because that would be a really unique experience. Most people are used to the 'human' faction being 'easy' mode but by Warhammer III its going to be ultra mega sadistic death mode difficulty at the rate its going.

No loving kidding, it *was* easier, with additional chaos stuff coming up better Franz have some "incarnation of Sigmar" skill to make up for it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panfilo posted:

I agree but they better add things to just round them out a bit here or make them more balanced, or give the LLs a revamp at least. They still need to make pistols and outriders worth using, and they should probably give them another higher tiered infantry unit or two, maybe some rat catchers or Imperial Foot, or some way of attaching cool captains to regiments.

There was a mod that's now defunct that added reiksguard halberd infantry, sword/shields, and reiksguard handgunners. They were honestly not that out of place, and they were lore appropriate. But they completely invalidated greatswords.

I didn't mind. gently caress greatswords.

jokes fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 19, 2017

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

In my last Empire run I ignored Marienburg until after I'd already taken Sylvania, at that point you can pretty much just zerg or lightning strike them down.

The GC as a whole was pretty funny though. While I was dealing with Chaos/Skaeling/Varg all by myself (stop tunnel visioning me you fucks), Tilea somehow became #1 and took over Border Princes, the southern Empire provinces and a bunch of other poo poo, and I completed the campaign objectives by allying with them. Also Top Knotz killed both Greenskins and Dwarfs and took over Badlands.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

No loving kidding, it *was* easier, with additional chaos stuff coming up better Franz have some "incarnation of Sigmar" skill to make up for it

If they do lift one thing from End Times, it could be the Ascendant stuff. Franz embodies the Winds of the Heavens, and thus gets the ability to lightning bolt motherfuckers and basically be a demigod.

And Empire doesn't even get Valten or Luthor Huss. I'm a very passive player when I play Empire. Except Marienburg I never declare on factions, mostly because that tends to get others pissy and causes a steamroll effect. Also, I just don't have the stamina to do a long warpath. I think it's better money-wise to make them trade partners anyway, then confederate them one-by one.

You really should just ignore Bretonia unless they start poo poo. Yeah, it's a bunch of territory you can have (And there's some unique buildings to get down there.) But... well it's just dickish to me, and anyway, the Vampires are right there.

Hopefully, you can leave Nordland as it is, because they'll buffer against the Varg and Skaeling. If you install the Conquer/Outpost mod, then that's the only time I recommend wiping out the north. Otherwise it's dealing with way too much attrition and so slow.

EDIT: Also consider Sarsnick for punching, he's good to get Karl's "Greenskin" requirement done.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah, I agree that ignoring Bretonnia is a good way to go, since you're gonna waste a lot of time for not much gain. Also fighting Bretonnia is harder than fighting vampires and makes little sense in the long run (you're supposed to get ready to fight Chaos). Better to just gobble up Empire provinces and the Vampires.

Also, everyone should just get the instant quest battles mod. Basically, it makes it where when your LL reaches the requisite level, the quest battle just instantly opens up for you to teleport to (for only like 500g). You get to skip the bullshit like "defeat greenskins 5 times as Franz" or "deploy a witch hunter in this province" (which requires a T4 building you probably shouldn't even build anyways).

I got really sick of wasting 20 turns (and all that upkeep, and missed opportunities to boost income, etc.) sending my only wizard to the badlands to fulfill a quest objective. Definitely get that mod.

Here it is

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
The way they should have done magic was to have a dynamic, scaling effect. So a formula like this : spell damage/radius/duration x ((level multiplier) + (gear/follower multplier)). Spells that are already strong might have little to no multipler, but some that are currently not worth the cost in winds become a lot more powerful. The changes that happen as you level up could also vary depending on the nature of the spell. Fireball would get a LOT stronger on a high level caster, Searing Doom would rain down more projectiles, some buffs would last a lot longer and stack with themselves, and legendary caster items would actively enhance spell damage.

Caster lords could then be defined apart from their hero counterparts by having better level multipliers on their spells, making them do more damage with the same spell at a given level. This helps really define Gelt, who will be using metal magic at a stronger degree than metal wizards.

Gelt should also get a special version of Final Transmutation as a reusable skill that acted similar to malagors special ability. It would debuff the target and do some damage over time, and if the (non lord) target was at 20%hp or lower they'd instantly get turned into golden statues. This makes Gelt decent at finishing off big monsters or annoying fearless units.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

If a wizard uses all of his winds of magic to kill an entire unit's worth of models all by himself, he's probably not as useful as simply bringing another unit, since another unit likely could have done the same, and generated a larger margin of manpower by providing some other value, for example by continuing to fight for the rest of the battle

Ignoring everyone else's good points, this just isn't a sensible statement to make. The average unit will fight another average unit and only win by losing basically all its units, meaning you have to rebuild it from scratch or wait a bunch of turns to replenish. An unit that can kill an entire enemy unit without taking any damage is, considering nothing else, a pretty drat above average unit. If your entire army was made up of units the same power as wizards, who can each kill one opposing unit taking no damage, then that is a *perfect army*.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Just had the Battle of Gonti Mingol, with the modded custom maps...

Are you just using the Grand Campaign Custom Maps mod, or is it some other map pack?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Gejnor posted:

Well you gotta take all of Reikland first, eliminate the secessionists asap, after that you can CHOOSE what you want to do. You can take Marienburg, you can try and play the diplomatic game with your Empire & Bretonnian Neighhours or you can go on the warpath.

But again before you do anything of the sort you must solidify your powerbase and that is Reikland: Altdorf, Grunburg, Helmgart and Eilhart. Once you own all theese regions you get a province-wide effect. I would also suggest you wall up the towns in the province asap as well, makes it easier to defend and you can also launch assaults with some confidence that you won't lose any ground.

Helmgart should get the walls first and foremost. It's been fairly consistent for me that a few turns after I unify Reikland and start looking for my next target, the Beastmen come rolling up to raze Helmgart to the ground. It's usually a tense battle if I don't have my main stack there. Walls would make it a nonissue.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I tend to try to ambush the Beastmen at Helmgart.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Fangz posted:

I tend to try to ambush the Beastmen at Helmgart.

it is the best place to kill them early imho

Or they are going to the mountains and get their faces full of dwarf bolts or if they take too long bretonnia will sort their poo poo out, which usually means they hop in reikland by turns 8-12

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Wallet posted:

Are you just using the Grand Campaign Custom Maps mod, or is it some other map pack?

Pretty sure it's the grand campaign custom maps pack. There are a TON of different maps. All the capitals are unique, and only a few is each races small settlements gets repeated.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Pellisworth posted:

I'd appreciate some newbie advice on starting out as the Empire, too. I took the thread's advice and started with Karl Franz to learn the ropes but switched to messing around with Brettonia and the VCs since the latter two seem to have much easier starting positions. I get lost after the first five or so turns as Empire since they're surrounded by stronger enemies.

Thanks!

Your infantry recruitment building should be built in a settlement, not your capital. First turn should recruit 3 units of swordsmen from Altdorf. Move Karl to the border with Grunberg (staying inside Altdorf territory), but don't attack. Let the AI engage you with its force there, its an easy victory. Then engage the remnants of that defeated army, then take Grunberg.

Take the Empire Sec settlements in order then grow your province enough to have l2 walls on all your settlements while ambush-baiting Marienberg. Take Marienberg and its settlement as soon as possible. Be aware depending on what the AI does the beastmen might attack from the West and Skullsmashers will almost certainly bypass Marienberg to attack you from the north around turn 8-12.

Your early army should be mostly swordsmen (make sure you use Sigmar's Sons as your principle engagement unit; they are unbreakable and quickly replacable), with crossbowmen and free company militia as your ranged-flankers. I personally like FCM a lot, they're sturdy as both melee and ranged in the early game. One stack should be able to do all the conquering you need until you have 2 provinces.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fangz posted:

Ignoring everyone else's good points, this just isn't a sensible statement to make. The average unit will fight another average unit and only win by losing basically all its units, meaning you have to rebuild it from scratch or wait a bunch of turns to replenish. An unit that can kill an entire enemy unit without taking any damage is, considering nothing else, a pretty drat above average unit. If your entire army was made up of units the same power as wizards, who can each kill one opposing unit taking no damage, then that is a *perfect army*.

I didn't really consider the effects after the map of replenishing things, but yeah that's absolutely true. I just notice that, with the exception of cheap tarpits, most good units will ultimately end up beating one unit and then go on to contributing to beating another.

For example, a standard usage of crossbows is to gat down enemy ranged units while melee units are fighting. When they win, they then go on to gat down someone else, probably in aid of the melee troops. So, a unit of crossbows can beat roughly 2 units per card if used correctly. But if a wizard can only reliably take out a single card on their own which is already a tall order (outside of certain lores), just replace it with something that does more. Or a good wizard, like shadow, death, or life.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

jokes posted:

I didn't really consider the effects after the map of replenishing things, but yeah that's absolutely true. I just notice that, with the exception of cheap tarpits, most good units will ultimately end up beating one unit and then go on to contributing to beating another.

For example, a standard usage of crossbows is to gat down enemy ranged units while melee units are fighting. When they win, they then go on to gat down someone else, probably in aid of the melee troops. So, a unit of crossbows can beat roughly 2 units per card if used correctly. But if a wizard can only reliably take out a single card on their own which is already a tall order (outside of certain lores), just replace it with something that does more. Or a good wizard, like shadow, death, or life.

Seriously dude, there's no lore of magic in the game bad enough to not be better than taking an extra unit of crossbows.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

madmac posted:

Seriously dude, there's no lore of magic in the game bad enough to not be better than taking an extra unit of crossbows.

Light minus net comes close, but, well. Net.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

If anyone is interested, I've just updated Rebanner to add musicians to the game, which are mechanically just a different name for banners, but each of them provides automatically activating buffs when the assigned unit does certain things or is in certain situations. Here's a few examples:

I'd be interested to hear what people make of them.

Also, if anyone else who deals with modding stuff (Gejnor?) has any idea what determines the order in which abilities show up on items, I'd love to hear it. It seems completely inconsistent but it can't possibly be random.

Panfilo posted:

Pretty sure it's the grand campaign custom maps pack. There are a TON of different maps. All the capitals are unique, and only a few is each races small settlements gets repeated.

Thanks, I'll have to try that out.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Wallet posted:

If anyone is interested, I've just updated Rebanner to add musicians to the game, which are mechanically just a different name for banners, but each of them provides automatically activating buffs when the assigned unit does certain things or is in certain situations. Here's a few examples:

Also, if anyone else who deals with modding stuff (Gejnor?) has any idea what determines the order in which abilities show up on items, I'd love to hear it. It seems completely inconsistent but it can't possibly be random.

That's super cool, but is it possible to tinker with the files to add actual drums and horns for when the ability fires?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm doing mousillon with a faction unlocker and fighting Bretonnia is really hard. I'm spamming the poo poo out of skeletal spearmen but even that isn't enough to let me stand up to the heavily armored Bret cavalry that just cycle charges me to death. What will help?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

jokes posted:

The mistake you're making is assuming the enemy ranged unit doesn't shoot back.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Wallet posted:

Thanks, I'll have to try that out.

Oh poo poo, how did you modify accuracy with the elven horn-blower? I wanted to add that to a dwarf lord talent but couldn't find it anywhere.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

jokes posted:

If you're going to sperg out this hard you should realize that a wizard in melee is on par with basic infantry and so by your theory would be on par with the crossbows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think you're underestimating buffs and debuffs, particularly in multiplayer where they're the name of the game. Even if a wizard doesn't get a single kill, if he empowers a few units to quickly finish their fight and flank other regiments, or weaken large amounts of enemies that'll let your entire front break through quickly and start tearing up the backline then he's already paid for himself.

• Locked thread