Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The only time I use matrix is try to cover a retreat. It's super awkward and I avoid talents for it because I don't find it useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The slowing talent on Matrix is really good for hunting down stragglers.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think the longer Matrix is as useful as having 2-3 extra self-destructs in a match so I tend to take the increased charge at that tier. Also the level 20 evolution to Bunny Hop does a scary amount of structure damage.

"Good structure damage" is not a good reason to take a level 20 where killing the other team wins the game.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The only time I use matrix is try to cover a retreat. It's super awkward and I avoid talents for it because I don't find it useful

Defense matrix is real good, especially with the slow. Makes it hard to get away or turn and fight. Enemies will run around like crazy to get out of it instead of doing anything useful (or they'll blow CDs for piss damage while under it).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Nephzinho posted:

"Good structure damage" is not a good reason to take a level 20 where killing the other team wins the game.

Killing structures quickly and cores quickly wins the game, also. It's not like any of the other options at that tier are really great.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

How have you been building her? Nitro, longer matrix, matrix slows, bunny hop, ablative, ggwp, meka?

Watching Dunktrain earlier he said he's more or less settled on Nitrous - Fusion Generator - Coming Through - Expensive/Ablative depending on burst or good Ablative enemies - Nanoweave and I think MEKAfall.

I tried Coming Through after watching him and I like it because it gives you some halfway decent peel, and you can push out of position heroes back into your team more effectively too.

edit : also Bunny Hop.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If I'm chasing I just boost through and body block while adding damage to help secure the kill. If the slow was stronger than baseline tassadar attack I'd be more interested. Most of the time I feel like "if they dead they (crowd) controlled"
If you can actually catch a mage in it trying to snipe your team it is ultra hilarious though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Is the brawl broken, it just kicked every member of my game for being AFK and we're all sitting on a Defeat screen after rejoining.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Do all of the Azmodunk skins have all the same voice lines and stuff? So that the choice is just esthetic? (thinking of "real dream" azmo :10bux:)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bolivar posted:

Do all of the Azmodunk skins have all the same voice lines and stuff? So that the choice is just esthetic? (thinking of "real dream" azmo :10bux:)

Yes

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Is the brawl broken, it just kicked every member of my game for being AFK and we're all sitting on a Defeat screen after rejoining.

yeah the brawl is broken

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nephzinho posted:

Is the brawl broken
Yes. Blizzard response on Reddit 46 minutes ago, so fix coming soon™

Bolivar posted:

He has the same voice, but different lines for the dunk skin.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He/she's asking if all of the azmodunk color variants have the dunk-themed voice lines, which, yes, they do.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

He/she's asking if all of the azmodunk color variants have the dunk-themed voice lines, which, yes, they do.

Yep, this. So no Lakers/Rockets - specific inside jokes or stuff like that :D It's all good as long as I can get the Most Valuable Prime award.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 19, 2017

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It feels really weird to get loot from boxes for heroes you don't own. Blizz just make all heroes free thanks

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Can Blizz fix the bug where Brawls give you a single common loot box instead of anything worth your time.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kashuno posted:

yeah the brawl is broken

That would explain the game yesterday where my team dominated the first round and then everyone DC'd but me and we lost.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Semper Fudge posted:

Can Blizz fix the bug where Brawls give you a single common loot box instead of anything worth your time.

I made the mistake of looking at reddit and of course the thread there about this very thing is full of people bitching about other people wanting handouts.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean what were brawls paying out before? 1000 gold a week and a portrait? Not exactly a princely fortune.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone figured out if Ablative Armor affects D.Va's self-destruct gain?

It gains on any attack on her, I believe. You still gain meter for enemies attacking you in the defensive matrix, so that's the only thing I'm basing this belief on. Someone should try Zarya or Tass' shield on her and see what the gains are?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What I'm asking is does her meter build before or after calculations from damage resist, shields etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

What I'm asking is does her meter build before or after calculations from damage resist, shields etc.

According to the talent description it shouldn't affect the amount of self destruct charge gained.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

I mean what were brawls paying out before? 1000 gold a week and a portrait? Not exactly a princely fortune.

my blackheart portrait says otherwise

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Where is the YouTube comparing regular and nitro boost already

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I made the mistake of looking at reddit and of course the thread there about this very thing is full of people bitching about other people wanting handouts.

I don't think people are asking for handouts, but I also don't think you should need incentive to play brawls. Play the ones you like, ignore the ones you don't.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Except for level 1-2 characters it takes 3 normal games or more to earn a loot box so I don't really see what the problem is. Plus you can level chars in the brawl now.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Is a stimpack worth spending gems on now that loot has been improved with 2.0?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

B-Mac posted:

Probably depends on how much you play and how badly you want to level up/earn gold.

I'm sure there are some calculated rough cutoffs out there for if a stim is worth it but hell if I know what they are.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Mind over Matter posted:

Probably depends on how much you play and how badly you want to level up/earn gold.

I'm sure there are some calculated rough cutoffs out there for if a stim is worth it but hell if I know what they are.

Yea I did some googling but all the math that was done was for the older system, not post 2.0.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

B-Mac posted:

There's some number crunching here:
https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/28/15456228/heroes-of-the-storm-2-0-heroes-skins-mounts-economy-loot-boxes-fastest-unlocks

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Elysium posted:

Except for level 1-2 characters it takes 3 normal games or more to earn a loot box so I don't really see what the problem is. Plus you can level chars in the brawl now.

I'd mostly just like to get the portraits back :shrug:

That said the xp is kind of meaningless outside of brawls where you're locked into a specific hero for it. A small amount of xp on up to three random characters is really not a plus.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Thanks. Leveling just seems so slow playing solo without a stimpack I almost broke down and bought some gems for them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My level could probably be a lot higher but there are only a few characters that I actually enjoy playing so I have a ton of heroes sitting at 1 in perpetuity.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

B-Mac posted:

Thanks. Leveling just seems so slow playing solo without a stimpack I almost broke down and bought some gems for them.

The stimpacks seem to be fairly common loot though. I started with 2.0 and I have never played without a stimpack, 14 days left and of course I will get some more of them from boxes... but I guess sooner or later I will run out.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Bolivar posted:

The stimpacks seem to be fairly common loot though. I started with 2.0 and I have never played without a stimpack, 14 days left and of course I will get some more of them from boxes... but I guess sooner or later I will run out.

I've only pulled one stimpack out of a loot crate so far, level 76 and started with 2.0.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dugong posted:

It feels really weird to get loot from boxes for heroes you don't own. Blizz just make all heroes free thanks

They all are free, they're just being released on a loot treadmill to keep you playing, friend.
Even if you declared you'd never spend a dime on the game you get 20 free dudes out the gate, at least 1 free character for getting to player level 5, at least 1 more free dude for getting your 20 free characters to 5. From there even if you somehow went through the major work of engineering the perfect distribution of your games to never get an additional 5 levels on any character, never win games, and never get a character from a loot box you'd still get at least 1 free character a month assuming you only played enough games to complete your dailies (and only enough games from that).

edit: So I guess if you perfectly engineer things to be the worst possible you could say "It shouldn't take me over 5 years to unlock all the dudes in this game I don't really play except to form a weird hypothetical situation where I'm getting screwed!"

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 19, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't defend all heroes not being free.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
...so (if I'm reading that article correctly) spending the 1,000 free gems on a 30-day Stimpack would be a more efficient way to unlock more heroes, rather than picking up 4 as they go on sale for 250 gems apiece?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

chumbler posted:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ghost of Starman posted:

...so (if I'm reading that article correctly) spending the 1,000 free gems on a 30-day Stimpack would be a more efficient way to unlock more heroes, rather than picking up 4 as they go on sale for 250 gems apiece?

If you play enough, and consistently yes.

chumbler posted:

The more of a delay between getting more novas, TLV, and abathurs in my QMs the better.

Coolness Averted posted:

They all are free, they're just being released on a loot treadmill to keep you playing, friend.
The pricing model on this f2p game is pretty reasonable right now. It made much more sense to complain back when the free rotation was smaller and back when there were more draconian restrictions on playing HL/TL and those were the only draft game in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was very surprised to see it would cost me $200 to unlock every hero I don't already have. I would have paid without a second thought if it only cost as much as a video game normally does. :shrug: