Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is categorically untrue because I've bought a house myself, and also helped my brother when he bought his place. I don't see how there's any room for graft in the process.
It's categorically true based on my own experience, which is of multiple surveyors being called in by buyers and banks who had a different opinions of what a property was worth. Last house my folks sold was listed at about 300 by the estate agents, got run up to 320 by another surveyor, and finally sold for 330 once the bidding was done. Now that's a huge difference in long term earnings for a bank charging 6% on a mortgage.

Let's assume the buyers needed 150k for 300 and 180k for the higher price. The difference in interest alone is in the tens of thousands of pounds without even considering the 30k extra capital to pay it off. Bank made a mint.

quote:

It's especially hard to see how it could be rigged in the case of an inheritance because the valuation of the house has to be accepted by HMRC - they need it to determine whether the appropriate inheritance tax has been paid.
Assuming HMRC only gets to levy tax on the bit over 100k, it is in their interests to accept a higher price, especially if high rates of interest are placed on mortgages for people in their forties, fifties and sixties trying to buy out the rest of their parents' homes which makes it theoretically very sustainable for banks if not the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

"I'll take things that haven't happened before, but could happen in the next few weeks for 500 please, Alex"

Will you Toxx on Labour losing more than 35 seats to the Tories?

I've already answered that question. I don't do 'toxx clauses'. Feel free to do one yourself if you think labour is about to win the election.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I've already answered that question. I don't do 'toxx clauses'. Feel free to do one yourself if you think labour is about to win the election.

I never said Labour would win the election. I think Labour will get a similar percentage of the vote to Miliband. Which is obviously not the best place for them to be, given that wasn't a winning percentage, and that was before the Tories got the UKIP vote, but it's hardly indicative of an endemic lack of support for left wing policies.

You never said until now you don't do them, you said you never had.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

jBrereton posted:

It's categorically true based on my own experience, which is of multiple surveyors being called in by buyers and banks who had a different opinions of what a property was worth. Last house my folks sold was listed at about 300 by the estate agents, got run up to 320 by another surveyor, and finally sold for 330 once the bidding was done. Now that's a huge difference in long term earnings for a bank charging 6% on a mortgage.

Let's assume the buyers needed 150k for 300 and 180k for the higher price. The difference in interest alone is in the tens of thousands of pounds without even considering the 30k extra capital to pay it off. Bank made a mint.

Assuming HMRC only gets to levy tax on the bit over 100k, it is in their interests to accept a higher price, especially if high rates of interest are placed on mortgages for people in their forties, fifties and sixties trying to buy out the rest of their parents' homes which makes it theoretically very sustainable for banks if not the public.

Thanks for the anecdote

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mehall posted:

You never said until now you don't do them, you said you never had.

I feel like reacting to pissflaps occasionally being pedantic by being exceptionally pedantic is a Bad Move

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

See, vote Labour, not Corbyn!

haakman
May 5, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I feel like reacting to pissflaps occasionally being pedantic by being exceptionally pedantic is a Bad Move

Mutually Autistic Destruction

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I received two pieces of political literature today: one from the local labour candidate and the other from the Theresa May party.

I don't think the labour candidate will win she looks like a dinner lady.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

I received two pieces of political literature today: one from the local labour candidate and the other from the Theresa May party.

Better the dinner lady than the scary headmistress.

Alternatively try not to judge people by appearance!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Theresa May doesn't like dinner ladies.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Soooo it seems we're getting the Great British Firewall. Can't let those chinese get one up on us, eh.

Jesus gently caress.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Soooo it seems we're getting the Great British Firewall. Can't let those chinese get one up on us, eh.

Jesus gently caress.

Anyone got VPN recommendations?
Or VPS recommendations for me to spin my own VPN?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm excited to explain to ministers why I want to watch mucky birds piss on each other tbh. Bring it. Chaos reigns.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bape Culture posted:

I'm excited to explain to ministers why I want to watch mucky birds piss on each other tbh. Bring it. Chaos reigns.

Pretty sure that's illegal so you'd just be confessing to attempting to commit a crime.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

I'm going to Israel in about a week, I can get some Israeli Halva for you (we steal all our good foods from our neighbours) and mail it to you when I get back to the UK in 2-3 weeks?

Edit: steal as in appropriate, not literally take the food out of their mouths, but I can see why someone might get the wrong idea.

Very kind of you to offer but I wouldn't want to put you to the trouble. I'll keep looking or hell, try making some myself, it looks fairly simple if I can get Ghee from somewhere.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

mehall posted:

Cyberghost is pretty slick and has a sale on right now. Pretty sure it has mobile apps too.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bape Culture posted:

What would be the explanation ?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

namesake posted:

With Frank Reynolds in his corner and backing from the powerful grime lobby I can't see Jeremy losing this now.

Also I can't believe there's an Tory election promise to build a broken version of the Internet just to make spying on you easier. loving hell people it's like Trump winning at this point.

He's also got British Wrestling on his side.

https://twitter.com/zacksabrejr/status/864550354800791552

https://twitter.com/zacksabrejr/status/825658234505723905

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I inagine that the thought process behind a lot of these bewildering tory manifesto promises is not "this is a vote winner people will like" but rather "this is hateful poo poo people will detest, but we're tory cunts and we desperately want to do it, and we can probably sneak them in because nobody will vote for Corbyn".
Then they can turn around in 3 years and be all "hey quit crying about the erosion of civil liberties, the people voted for it!".

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

Meanwhile, brave statement from the Women's Equality candidate for Hornsey and Wood Green…

https://twitter.com/NimkoAli/status/865505609793232896

she's not wrong though. millions wasted on a uninterrupted 24 hour police presence waiting outside the embassy. that wasn't really about arresting him, it was grandstanding. since the watch was lifted he's not walked out - he never would have if there hadn't been a watch in the first place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31159594

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

Very kind of you to offer but I wouldn't want to put you to the trouble. I'll keep looking or hell, try making some myself, it looks fairly simple if I can get Ghee from somewhere.

No trouble, but in any case I think I saw some at sainsburys a while back on the israel/jewish shelf. I'm not sure if sainsburys in the boro have those or if it's just north west London.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have never seen a Jewish section in any supermarket but I understand that places do have them because one of my theoretical co-workers thought it would be a great idea to put pork scratchings in there and they sent out a company wide bollocking about it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, the median property wealth of all households is only £50k, and that of households where the head is above retirement age is below £100k, so if granny owns outright a property worth £150k, she is pretty deep into the top half of the property wealth range.

Yes, but in a lot of families it is only the old people who own houses. It is their families, not the old people, this policy takes houses away from.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

AirVPN seems good.

OwlFancier posted:

Walk into any newsagent in Leicester. Might need to get a train before the walking bit.

Or you can make it out of full fat unsalted butter, but it takes some practice to get the clarified layer out properly.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Oberleutnant posted:

I inagine that the thought process behind a lot of these bewildering tory manifesto promises is not "this is a vote winner people will like" but rather "this is hateful poo poo people will detest, but we're tory cunts and we desperately want to do it, and we can probably sneak them in because nobody will vote for Corbyn".
Then they can turn around in 3 years and be all "hey quit crying about the erosion of civil liberties, the people voted for it!".
Tories hate the poor, we all know this. But May's manifesto hammers home just that little bit more than any of Cameron's did that Tories hate the poor. There's an element of annoyance and disgust at them, that they can't just be nice financially comfortable people like them. Tbf if poor people could just go away then a Conservative manifesto would be bang on to help this country succeed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I would be cautiously pessimistic about Labour's recent improved polling. As Stephen Bush puts it: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/05/unnoticed-and-unreported-jeremy-corbyn-surging-polls

quote:

In 2015, there were two mysteries about the polls. The first was the large number of Labour voters saying that they would vote Labour but they didn’t want Ed Miliband in Downing Street or Ed Balls at the Treasury. The second was how to reconcile the polls with Labour’s weak performance in local elections in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. As I tweeted on the night of the European elections, they were the performance of an opposition heading for the knacker’s yard, not Downing Street.

Then at the general election, the mystery was solved: Labour voters saying they didn’t want the Eds near power weren’t Labour voters at all. Instead, they voted for the Conservatives.

I don't see any reason why this doesn't remain true in 2017 and I'd be steeling for a national share that's more like 27-28 than 30-32.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I have never seen a Jewish section in any supermarket but I understand that places do have them because one of my theoretical co-workers thought it would be a great idea to put pork scratchings in there and they sent out a company wide bollocking about it.

My local Sainsbury's has a kosher shelf and there hasn't been enough Jews here to warrant a full time rabbi since the 50s.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

I got a Labour one and a Lib Dem one here in North West Durham. Given that it's all former pit villages I'm not sure how well the Lib Dems will do attacking Corbyn for being too lefty.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks for the anecdote
Keep smoothing your brain out squire, they'll make a Tory voter of you yet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I would be cautiously pessimistic about Labour's recent improved polling. As Stephen Bush puts it: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/05/unnoticed-and-unreported-jeremy-corbyn-surging-polls

I don't see any reason why this doesn't remain true in 2017 and I'd be steeling for a national share that's more like 27-28 than 30-32.

Because the polling companies adjusted their weightings after 2015 to give them the "correct" result.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/12/07/analysis-what-went-wrong-our-ge15-polling-and-what/

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Alchenar posted:

Agreed. I also think even those vote share will be more concentrated into fewer seats.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Keep smoothing your brain out squire, they'll make a Tory voter of you yet.

Look, you've had an off day - it happens. Take some time off over the weekend and I bet you'll back to your best on Monday morning

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

tbf if the internet over the past 20 years has taught us anything it's that the chinese don't go far enough and the whole thing should be destroyed

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Pissflaps posted:

I got the Labour one and an SLP bonus, the Tories don't even bother here

c0burn fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 19, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

R. Guyovich posted:

tbf if the internet over the past 20 years has taught us anything it's that the chinese don't go far enough and the whole thing should be destroyed

I hope you've got a VPN ready since they blocked sa

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
hao

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

No, it was Hu.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Miftan posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...d=facebook-post

I hope everybody is getting to know the renren.com layout!

1. This is the same Conservative government that cant even keep the NHS computers from being held to ransom

2. Anyone one computer savvy will just use tor and/or VPNs. This is just nanny state bullshit for parents worried their children are being groomed by pedos because they are too stupid/lazy to monitor what their children are using a PC or phone or tablet for.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So many people in this thread fixated on how their inheritance will secure their future so long as it's not snatched away, like they're characters in a Victorian novel or something.

The familial and legal machinations around a senile relative's death and the conflict over whether their fortune goes to their children or the State would actually make for a cracking 19th century plot. I think Wilkie Collins would be the best author, providing he could stay off the drugs for 5 minutes straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Pochoclo posted:

Jesus gently caress.

I expect a huge kickoff about this or the Tories will quietly forget about it

• Locked thread