Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I thought I saw somewhere that there were some weird alternate criteria besides exclusively making an All-NBA team? Am I remembering that wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I thought I saw somewhere that there were some weird alternate criteria besides exclusively making an All-NBA team? Am I remembering that wrong?

MVP or DPOY. Also you need to be with the team that drafted you or traded for you in the first 4 years of your career

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Kawhi will play, the Warriors will be super physical with him and he'll get hurt again. Everyone will once again complain about how dirty and mean the Warriors are.

Or Kawhi will step on David Lee's foot again and his ankle will explode.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bashez posted:

Yeah. It's usually hard to get decent information out of them.

There was a playoff series a few years ago where Ginobili was hurt and for the next game they called him "questionable" up until tip-off but he played and looked perfectly healthy. Iirc he even acted all limpy and hurt during warmups. Not sure how much of that was Pop and how much was Manu though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tae posted:

This exact conversation happened last year when Anthony Davis was short changed 20+ million dollars because of NBA writers.

Dexo, you are literally just saying what Jeff Van Gundy said on TV Broadcast after the All-NBA was announced

Okay and?

I didn't see JVG's statement. But I guess I would agree with him?

It's dumb as poo poo to tie player's financial gains to loving sports writers who don't watch or follow all the games.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

It's dumb as poo poo to tie player's financial gains to loving sports writers who don't watch or follow all the games.

This I don't disagree with you on. I mean the baseball HoF is such a clusterfuck of dudes making "statement" votes and non-votes.

"Why I didn't put Kawhi/LeBron/Russ on my NBA 1st Team" is guaranteed to be a top ten clicked story for a writer in a year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
At the very least, if salaries are tied to all-NBA teams, they should just remove the position requirements so people can vote for the top 15 players overall.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

At the very least, if salaries are tied to all-NBA teams, they should just remove the position requirements so people can vote for the top 15 players overall.

this too

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The cache a reporter will get will be overwhelm by the bribe after a few time, as it becomes a custom/ritual. People will obviously not give a shot, as they don't give a poo poo now, bribery is a custom. The supreme Court validated it already, so y'all Americans even wrote down the rule, so uncultured

Femur fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 19, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Femur posted:

The cache a reporter will get will be overwhelm by the bribe after a few time, as it becomes a custom/ritual. People will obviously not give a shot, as they don't give a poo poo now, bribery is a custom. The supreme Court validated it already, so y'all Americans even wrote down the rule, so uncultured

look this stack of 100k dollars is no different than 100 thousand people tweeting you about how you should vote me for all NBA.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
this money is legally a person who is telling you to vote Melo for MVP

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

this money is legally a person who is telling you to vote Melo for MVP

Zach Lowe is actually classified as an ocean-dwelling vessel and thus only subject to maritime law.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lowry's basically staying

https://twitter.com/DanFeldmanNBA/status/865622894470078465

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm glad serge is getting paid

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Masai with the African connections

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

I'm glad serge is getting paid

The 2012 Thunder had 4 Olympians. It's like a mini-series. Yeah, they gettin paid.

edit- Russ and Jim are 1st Team All NBA, Kevin is 2nd.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is there any market for Valanciunas? Is Extremely Big Nog ready to take a minutes jump?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DeimosRising posted:

Is there any market for Valanciunas? Is Extremely Big Nog ready to take a minutes jump?

What does Valanciunas do well? He's not a good defender in the modern NBA and he doesn't stretch the floor.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yeah exactly. These guys are self serious and sanctimonious. And if you give them a story to write about they'd rather publish it then take the money. A bribery story is probably worth way more than the bribe to them.

Edit: Also, you can't just let a team get one because each team would only have one and they would use it on loser players who don't deserve it just to keep them. It would have to be an independent arbitrator who determined whether a player should be offered one.

OTOH, some of these writers are complete slaves to their organizations. The organization could pay them some money to not vote for certain players etc.

Chairchucker posted:

Hmm if he's not able to play and the Warriors win they would be up 3-0. That's a pretty difficult score to come back from, almost unprecedented I'm sure.

No NBA team has won being down 0-3 IIRC.

Niwrad posted:

I can't believe both sides agreed to this part of the CBA. It is the dumbest thing I think I've ever seen in a CBA. Paul George misses out on $30 million because a handful of sportswriters didn't vote for him.

I can't say I'm shocked. Just another crazy money rule added to the crazy money rule book.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Tae posted:

What does Valanciunas do well? He's not a good defender in the modern NBA and he doesn't stretch the floor.

He has a good touch around the rim and is a good free throw shooter. He's efficient on offense. While he's a bad help defender, he is pretty good in the post/on the ball inside the 3. He is a average to good defensive rebounder.
He's not a strong enough defender to anchor around and he's too slow to play the 4. On offense it's similar. You could potentially rely on him to score but it would probably gently caress your whole offense up and require you to get real slow.
That said, having him on your bench would be great because he can punk those lesser bigs and punish teams who are trying to play small without elite rim protectors. He plays his best when matched up with big guys like Monroe or even Cousins. He just gets owned so hard when given the responsibility (on either end) to become a more versatile player.

BWV fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 19, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Pelicans potentially hiring former Vipers coach/current Nuggets asst. coach Chris Finch

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19419070/new-orleans-pelicans-closing-hire-denver-nuggets-assistant-chris-finch

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tae posted:

I need to read this list more closely, because someone reminded me that DeAndre got three 1st team votes.

Who the hell is voting him 1st team

Some people who like FG% and eFG%. With a FG% of 71.4% DJ had the second highest ever. Only 1973 Wilt with 72.7% is higher.

EvanTH posted:

By all accounts LeBron James married for love and has fathered no children out of wedlock--basically the worst case situation for all high-minded basketball eugenicists. Don't pin all your hopes on LBJr

LBJ had those kids before he was betrothed. That's illegal in some countries!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

For a guy with such soft hands around the rim, JV is terrible at receiving entry passes when he slips into the paint on PnRs. It's like he never expects them coming, which might say more about the Raptors than it does JV.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tae posted:

He's super efficient and hard to guard because of his above average free throw shooting. He's young and could be a Hibbert esque good defender if the foul call environment changes again. He's shown steady if slow improvement in rebounding and ball security. He compares very favorably to guys like Marcin Gortat or Jusuf Nurkic who are better liked. If he can maintain his efficiency at, say, 25% usage on a slower team that doesn't have a Derozen type black hole, he makes your offense instantly acceptable. I don't think he's a Kanter level liability on D either.

edit: The problem is I don't know what teams fit the bill. Dallas would have been a good landing spot but they picked up Noel. The Bucks already have Monroe and know that doesn't really work for them. Utah, SAS, Miami, Minny, and Memphis are locked in at the 5, though I think he'd play well in any of those situations. The Kings are probably going to want to give WCS and Labissiere a shot. Detroit would have to unload Drummond, which probably improves them but offers Toronto nothing. Hornets could work but I don't know what they could offer in return. I think the Hornets could cut Sessions loose and be about 5 million under the cap, so they could eat some salary to save Toronto a bunch of tax money, and they have no one they need to be saving cash for, everyone's locked down or expendable.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 19, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I was with you until the Hibbert on D comparison

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.instagram.com/p/BURp0hlD2qN/?hl=en

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

I was with you until the Hibbert on D comparison

Hibbert's short time as a good defender was weird as heck. He was just as slow as JV and a terrible rebounder, he had a high block percentage but it didn't translate into much for the first few years. Then when he was a couple of years older than Valanciunas is now, he suddenly started getting tons of leeway on fouls and turned "verticality" into a catch phrase. His already high block rate went through the roof, he was altering basically every shot in the paint, then as quickly as it came it went. His foul rate trended back up and while his blocks stayed high they and his overall defensive impact went back to normal and he was a soft golem again.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/bball_ref/status/865702387448774656

Jesus

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Shear Modulus posted:

There was a playoff series a few years ago where Ginobili was hurt and for the next game they called him "questionable" up until tip-off but he played and looked perfectly healthy. Iirc he even acted all limpy and hurt during warmups. Not sure how much of that was Pop and how much was Manu though.

We didn't find out Manu had fractured his arm against Memphis in 2011 until after the series.

I can't wait until Jordan goaters are impotently mumbling Jordan while everyone else is debating if Lebron or New Guy is the best ever.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I actually look back on the LeBron Heat era fondly, they played some great basketball until they were broken by the immortal Pop

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I love it. I bet he woke up and decided it would be fun to see whether or not he could shoot .800 around the rim for a couple of weeks. Against the best players in the world.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/865323815970250752

Carlosologist posted:

I actually look back on the LeBron Heat era fondly, they played some great basketball until they were broken by the immortal Pop

This is actually the moment when the LeBron Heat were destroyed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHsowOBYDs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

4/80 for serge is a steal

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hes the second best ever behind BIll Russell.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

euphronius posted:

4/80 for serge is a steal

In 2012

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DeimosRising posted:

Hibbert's short time as a good defender was weird as heck. He was just as slow as JV and a terrible rebounder, he had a high block percentage but it didn't translate into much for the first few years. Then when he was a couple of years older than Valanciunas is now, he suddenly started getting tons of leeway on fouls and turned "verticality" into a catch phrase. His already high block rate went through the roof, he was altering basically every shot in the paint, then as quickly as it came it went. His foul rate trended back up and while his blocks stayed high they and his overall defensive impact went back to normal and he was a soft golem again.

Yeah Hibbert probably has the weirdest career arc of anyone I can think of. It'd be really interesting to see JV turn a corner on defense because he's insanely efficient in the post but as long as he stays in Toronto I don't really see that happening. He'll get sporadic playing time and almost none in crunch time. JV with a Carlisle-style Postion Whisperer coach would be a very interesting thing to see

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Papes posted:

In 2012

You mean relative to the 2012 cap or for 2012 Serge?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/kaj33/status/865715357511589888

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KAJ seems so nice and classy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/865724327081242629

• Locked thread