Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If this happens I'm done with the X-Men movies.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1660810/two-major-x-men-characters-who-will-likely-be-in-the-dark-phoenix

I'm so sick of every single movie revolving around Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dacap posted:

Tom Hardy is Eddie Brock in Sony's Venom movie with Ruben Fleischer directing

http://www.tracking-board.com/tom-hardy-to-star-in-venom-movie-ruben-fleischer-to-direct-sony-tentpole/

I hope he puts on a normal, American dude voice when he's Eddie Brock but lapses into his Bane voice when he's Venom.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok, hypothetical here, but say DC/WB decides to pull their heads out of their asses. They decided to make fun of themselves and BvS especially with say, a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold movie. Who do you cast as Ted, who as Mike?

Tim Heidecker as Gold and Adam Scott as Blue. On a JLI sitcom.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1660810/two-major-x-men-characters-who-will-likely-be-in-the-dark-phoenix

I'm so sick of every single movie revolving around Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique.

Did I miss something or how the gently caress is Rogue a major part of the Dark Phoenix Saga??

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Tom Hardy as Brock/Venom is a good casting choice in my opinion, but you will never convince me that this movie is going to be worth watching.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 19, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sony is Bad Decision Central so I'm not at all surprised that this misguided movie concept is still being pushed so many years later.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want to know if Men in Black/21 Jump Street has moved forward at all. That's half a comic book movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ok Sony has piqued my interest here

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
An antihero gets their own movie, but it's completely disconnected from the source material and not linked to the universe it's known for being a part of.

I wonder if the Venom movie will have a sexy basketball scene too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Sony is Bad Decision Central so I'm not at all surprised that this misguided movie concept is still being pushed so many years later.

Are they still expecting the Emoji Movie to be a mega-hit of such proportions that they'll be able to dictate terms to Disney?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I want to know if Men in Black/21 Jump Street has moved forward at all. That's half a comic book movie.

That was shelved a long time ago.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Jesus loving Christ. They just keep on getting more terrible.

I am tired of Mystique. She's not a loving X-Man. She doesn't need to be in everything. It really took the cake when she was in Apocalypse and stayed in her white human form for practically the entire movie because she didn't want to put the blue makeup on.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tom Hardy as Venom is good casting, but if it's divorced from Spider-Man, it'll have to have one hell of a story to make up for that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jennifer Lawrence is done now anyway. Time to let her go, Fox.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's kind of funny that the X-Men movie franchise went from "we got to have Wolverine in every movie" to "we got to have loving Mistique in every movie".

Also with the Hardy news, he will now have played two huge muscle 90's villains so he should get casted as Doomsday to complete the trifecta.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jamesman posted:

An antihero gets their own movie, but it's completely disconnected from the source material and not linked to the universe it's known for being a part of.

Venom is an antihero? I thought he was a straight up villain, but I only read his sort of original arc in the 80s.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are they still expecting the Emoji Movie to be a mega-hit of such proportions that they'll be able to dictate terms to Disney?

Yes, and they managed to gently caress up in a way that could potentially limit their ability to make money from the movie as well:

quote:

Sony is confident that its emoji movie will have the same kind of success.

But the studio is in a battle over merchandise trademark rights, which could seriously affect the ancillary markets of the project, and even what Sony is legally allowed to title the movie.

Marco Husges, a former video game executive from Germany, has created more than 3,000 of his own emoji icons and trademarked and licensed them for use in an array of merchandise through his company The Emoji Co., according to The Hollywood Reporter.

And Husges believes Sony’s yet-to-be-titled emoji movie may be in violation of his trademarks.

"I am curious how Sony would want to produce a movie under that name and do accompanying merchandising, especially given the fact our brand has already been successfully established with license partners and retailers all over the world," Husges told THR.

In October 2015, Sony filed an application for dozens of trademarks in connection with the film, and they were rejected in February, according to THR.

Regardless, Sony Pictures Animation president Kristine Belson said in April at CinemaCon that the studio has hired a licensing company for the emoji project.

Husges told THR that he has begun developing his own emoji projects for TV, movies, and the web. He’s even teamed with one of the producers of “The Lego Movie,” Roy Lee, to get some of them off the ground.

A Sony spokeswoman told THR: “We have full confidence in our rights as we make the film we’ve always intended to make.”

Sony's emoji movie is slated to be released in Summer 2017.

Reminder: This (The Emoji Movie) and a revitalized Spider-Man extended Universe (starting with Venom) are the two things that Sony is betting their last dollar on and they did not do due diligence before they even started making it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 19, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Electromax posted:

Venom is an antihero? I thought he was a straight up villain, but I only read his sort of original arc in the 80s.

Venom is a straight up good guy now and he hasn't been Eddie Brock for years

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Electromax posted:

How on earth did you miss the LETHAL PROTECTOR craze? There were even video games where he teams up with Spider-man.

purple death ray posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure Marvel's turning Eddie back into Venom right as we speak. I know Flash already lost the symbiote.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, and they managed to gently caress up in a way that could potentially limit their ability to make money from the movie as well:

Reminder: This (The Emoji Movie) and a revitalized Spider-Man extended Universe (starting with Venom) are the two things that Sony is betting theuir last dollar on and they did not do due diligence before they even started making it.

Is everyone at Sony on hot and cold running :catdrugs:?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Eddie got the symbiote back recently because good things never last.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Comics!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Is everyone at Sony on hot and cold running :catdrugs:?

I legitimately, with absolutely no irony at all, think that Sony Entertainment could hire a fresh grad from Harvard Business school and be run better in every single way.

It seems almost suspicious that they are able to make the absolute worst decision possible 100% of the time. Statistically, they should have accidentally succeeded at least once.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

My understanding is they've had Brock/Venom do "heroic" things and have even teamed him up with Spider-Man because someone like Carnage needs to be dealt with. Then you have a shitload of things like the symbiote picking new hosts, or Brock becoming Anti-Venom or some poo poo I think.

As far as the movie goes, there's no way the protagonist of the movie is gonna be an out-and-out bad guy. They're gonna do some poo poo with Brock struggling to control the symbiote and ultimately use it for good to take down the real villain of the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I legitimately, with absolutely no irony at all, think that Sony Entertainment could hire a fresh grad from Harvard Business school and be run better in every single way.

It seems almost suspicious that they are able to make the absolute worst decision possible 100% of the time. Statistically, they should have accidentally succeeded at least once.

Yeah you'd think at the very least they'd acquire a smaller studio that's making money and just let it do it's thing so they at least can claim some profitability from their movie dept.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 19, 2017

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

JordanKai posted:

Eddie got the symbiote back recently because good things never last.

Yeah, but wasn't the last guy who had it (after Flash) really terrible?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok, hypothetical here, but say DC/WB decides to pull their heads out of their asses. They decided to make fun of themselves and BvS especially with say, a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold movie. Who do you cast as Ted, who as Mike?

Adam Scott as Ted and Joel McHale as Michael.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 20, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Lotta Joel McHale Love. I dig it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Codependent Poster posted:

Tom Hardy as Venom is good casting, but if it's divorced from Spider-Man, it'll have to have one hell of a story to make up for that.

They could have aliens kidnap him to fight in some kind of secret... battle and while he's there he finds this costume making machine...

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, but wasn't the last guy who had it (after Flash) really terrible?

Yeah, Lee was absolutely dreadful. Thank goodness he only stuck around for a few issues.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Will Venom also sound like someone doing a Sean Connery impression in the apartment above you? Or perhaps a newer, weirder voice?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly:

Venom doesn't really need to be connected to Spider-Man. The core concept ("alien suit latches onto rear end in a top hat with issues, they fight crime") isn't one that actually needs Spider-Man to work and if anything it avoids the needless convoluted narrative that ties a magic suit of transforming space goo to Spider-Man. I don't think there's anything wrong with divorcing the concept from Spider-Man and think it probably would allow for a better self-contained narrative rather than forcing an 'origin story' with Spider-Man.

The things that Venom as a leading character (and not a Spider-Man villain) tend to focus on really aren't something that needs a Spider-Man tie-in. You either have an rear end in a top hat with superpowers trying to fight crime or you have a guy struggling with his evil space suit and trying to do good. Neither really requires Spider-Man. You could do a similar story without calling it Venom but Name Branding and people would say it sounds like a Venom knockoff anyway.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I kind of wonder if Eddie Brock in the movie will be really the name only and take everything else from the Flash Venom. It's way more conducive to being adapted into a solo film.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Rock as Booster, Vin Diesel as Blue Beetle. Call me now, Warner.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly:

Venom doesn't really need to be connected to Spider-Man. The core concept ("alien suit latches onto rear end in a top hat with issues, they fight crime") isn't one that actually needs Spider-Man to work and if anything it avoids the needless convoluted narrative that ties a magic suit of transforming space goo to Spider-Man. I don't think there's anything wrong with divorcing the concept from Spider-Man and think it probably would allow for a better self-contained narrative rather than forcing an 'origin story' with Spider-Man.

The problem with that line of logic is that the list of things that define Venom's core concepts are as follows:

-Looks like Evil Spider-man
-Has Spider-man's powers but stronger
-Hates Spider-man
-Knows who Spider-man is
-Is like Spider-man but if he killed people

If you take away the Spider-man connection all you're left with is a slimy guy who kills people. It's not exactly as iconic or compelling.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

bunnyofdoom posted:

Steven Yeun and Alan Ritchson.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Triple H as Beetle, Danzig as Booster.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't know how rights work. Can a Venom movie mention Spider-Man/Peter Parker by name?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They can. Sony still owns the Spider-Man film rights.

The thing is that, from what I'm understanding, they don't want to mention Peter. They want this to stand alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yes, Sony has the rights to both characters, but for some reason Sony wants Venom to be its own separate franchise. I really have no idea why.

• Locked thread